Bloomberg L.P.

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

Interview Details – Screening through a recruiting agency over the phone, then one phone interview and a visit to NYC to be interviewed by 2 different teams of 2 people each, 3 hours with groups of 2 people, for a total of 12 people, the interview lasted all day, they paid for my plane tickets and hotel. I learned that both teams wanted me when the recruiter called me next day with the job offer.

Interview Question – One question was about auto suggestions in a browser
How threading works in different flavors of Unix
C++ question
There were more questions but I can't remember now but I will update this information in the future.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation started right next day after I got the offer. They paid relocation expenses and a rented apartment in Manhattan for a month.

Senior Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – it started with a programming assignment called equity challenge using any programming language. And I did it in C++. this had to be done before the phone interview.... they used a service called Hackerrank.com.

Phone interview, they also used hackerrank.com for a programming question, which asks you to write a function showing the first unique character in a string. pretty straightforward with O(n) complexity..

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – Found posting on LinkedIn group. Contacted recruiter. Had a good 20-30 min. conversation with recruiter, who then scheduled a technical phone interview the next week.

The position was for a C/C++ developer so (surprise surprise) C++ questions. Typical technical questions about C++. Nothing to easy, but nothing crazy obscure either. That went ok. Had a second technical phone interview. Similar questions. One design question. But as long as you understand data structures - and how and what to use them for, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Got invited for an onsite interview(s) in NYC. These are done in stages, with little to no break. First interview @10am, was technical with 2-3 developers. Similar to the phone technical interviews. But this time you need to write code. Unfortunately, you have to write code on paper (tiny sheets of paper), with dull pencils. I should have brought my own. Not sure why they don't have whiteboards there. At the end of each interview, the team decides whether to have you continue interviewing. I got a second interview.

Again a team of 2-3 developers, asking technical questions, nothing to crazy though. But for this second interview, I felt the team lead (I assume he was the lead, or at least a more senior developer) was trying to pressure me to write the code faster. Kept saying we're almost out of time, even though we weren't really). But it is a good technique. Seriously. As an experienced s/w developer, there are times when you will be in a high pressure situation, and it is important to see how people respond.

This is where my onsite interview day ended. As I understand it, the normal plan is to have 2, technical interviews, then a manager interview, then an HR person comes in to wrap things up. You may get an offer right then and there, or you may get it within 24 hours, if they can't quite make up their minds then and there. But ... they will let you know either immediately, or within 24 hours at latest. Which is great, really.

I knew that after the 2nd tech. team left, and the HR person came into the room that I was done for the day. I wasn't upset by it though. I enjoyed the experience. My suspicion is that I wasn't maybe as sharp, technically, in my responses. I didn't prep to much just before the interview. Mostly because I wasn't too sure if I really wanted to live and work in NYC, but also because I wasn't totally sure if this would be a good fit.

My advice is to prep writing code before hand. There are lots of interview questions you can find, here and elsewhere. Practice them. And on the day of the interviews, practice them about an hour or two before the interview, just to get your brain warmed up for coding of the top of your head, on paper.

If you get an onsite interview, eat a big breakfast before. They will keep you there until they are done with you. Of course you can get bathroom breaks. But you'll be there all morning, and possibly afternoon. But honestly, I find the time flies by. My interviews started at 10am. I had 2, but the second didn't end until 12:30, and I left by 1pm. There was a long wait between the end of the 2nd interview and the HR person telling we were done. Which is why I think I did OK, but just not 100% there for them, I guess.

Interview Question – Nothing to difficult, I guess.

Design a system that keeps track of tickers (name and price) per exchange that: gives the top 20 most recently updated tickers - or something like that.
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Software Developer

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – The hiring partner will take care of the setting up of the interview. They will perform initial screen and then submit the resume to the company. Excellent professionalism I saw with them. They created a separate gmail id for me and asked me to track the interview process and asked me to choose 3 time slots in a week to attend interview. First is the phone screen and the next if they are satisfied, will call for face to face but they will take care of flight and accommodation arrangements

Interview Question – How to control the behavior of C++ objects and what resides within C++ object   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a Bloomberg recruiter via LinkedIn. I was advised to apply for jobs online. I was then contacted to provide dates for phone screen interviews. For two of the positions, I was asked to give dates for in-house interviews. For one position, the interviewers were mostly very young and impatient. I think they had too many interviews going on that day and had a shortage of conference rooms. I was not always given a chance to refine my answers. For the second position I had a much better set of interviews that lasted most of the day (including lunch).
In the end I did not get hired.

Interview Question – I mentioned using a circular buffer as a technique of buffering messages and they asked me to implement one. I had not thought out how to deal with telling the difference between buffer full end buffer empty.   View Answer

Senior Software Developer

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Applied online. After ~3 weeks received request for phone screen. Phone screen lasted ~1hr and was all trivia on C language, with questions on keywords, and analyzing a few lines of code. Interviewer did not show any emotion or give any indications of whether or not they were satisfied with a given answer. Asked some Unix questions and trivia on threads, parallel processing. Ended with some open ended questions on data structures, like 'are you familiar with any data structures?' I mentioned linear structures (array, LL, etc), hash tables, and trees to give a couple examples. Asked questions like 'what is notable about XX data structure,' 'what is important when hashing keys', 'how are trees balanced.' I had a lot of questions and the interviewer said 'I can give you about 2 minutes.' He sounded like a robot, so I asked if he enjoyed the job and he said it's fast paced and you will roll out features often.

Interview Questions

• Is this valid/what would this do (C):
    int *p;
    p=0;
    p++;
    printf("%d",p);
      View Answers (3)
  • char *a = "hello";
    char b[] = "hello";
    char *c = malloc(12);
    What do these do, what's the difference in where the memory is stored?
      View Answer
  • What's the 'static' keyword in C used for? UNIX: what's a file descriptor, what command do you use to see system operations? What's a thread/deadlock/race condition/etc?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – The first step was a phone interview with a pair of developers. Without any background or introduction, the interview proceeded for ~40 minute on technical questions on C++/Linux.

The second round was onsite with 4 different sessions: 2 technical, 1 HR, and 1 the senior manager. The technical interviews were with a pair of developers/team leads and some code was expected to be written on a provided pad of paper.

Interview Question – The C++ questions where straight forward covering design patterns, data structures, and algorithms, include big-O notation for various data structure procedures and performance of sorting techniques. Writing code on a paper is not traditionally how code is authored so you might want to practice, especially as the paper is collected afterwards.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary was not as competitive.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2012.

Interview Details – I talked to Bloomberg recruiters at a career fair at my school, and they suggested a position for me to apply online. They were at my school looking for undergrads, and I'm a soon-to-be PhD.

I applied online. Response was quick... a little too quick. I was in the airport, and they immediately sent a link to a timed online screening. I had to ask for postponement which they kindly granted.

The screening was simple. Two tests, each around 45 minutes long, multiple choice, with various questions about the details of C and C++ syntax and semantics.

A week later, the first phone interview. A week after that, second phone interview. Two weeks after that, fly in for two days of in-house interviews.

Interviews featured questions primarily on C++ semantics, C++ STL (Bloomberg publishes their own implementation on GitHub), networking, and concurrency. There were a couple of brain teasers.

Interviewers were nice, dressed primarily in polos or untucked shirts and jeans (I felt overdressed in a suit). Interviews on the first day lasted from 10am to around 4pm with no breaks, and I met mostly project leaders. Interviews on the second day were from 2pm to 5pm, with senior management and HR at the end.

Interview Question – What would you do to let a server provide high quality of service to well-behaved clients so that it doesn't get slowed down by a client that can't handle a high rate of traffic?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2012.

Interview Details – The process was time-consuming and long. Two phone interviews full of technical questions (specific programming assignments to do and read over the phone, plus puzzles and general questions). Two on-line language exams (not too difficult but time consuming). Two multi-person on-site interview sessions, one with more programming tests and puzzles, another with more general experience and industry questions.

Followed up by a third-party background check.

Interview Question – No single unusual question, but many requests to write or outline a program to solve a problem; as well as math/logic puzzles.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – By the end of the process, be ready with your acceptable terms and numbers, and stick to your guns. The negotiation was very straight-forward after the long and often opaque interview process.

New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Applied online, went through phone + 1:1 interview.
Phone interview questions
. Mostly C++ knowledge based, copy constructors, virtual functions, STL, templates, dyn amic memory allocation.
. One puzzle
1:1 interview
. How would you go about designing facebooks suggest a friend feature
. How would you store a large list of name, zipcode and customer names.

Interview Question – How would you go about designing facebooks suggest a friend feature   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!