Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Feb 6, 2015
Updated Feb 6, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

The interview process is grueling and pointlessly long. A total waste of time. Two phone interviews (about half hour each) followed by essentially an entire day of round after round (I counted 7 rounds) of technical interviews. I was grilled at their headquarters for over seven hours only to get rejected the next day. Each round except for the final (senior manager) and HR rounds were two-on-one. There was a lunch break where two developers buy you lunch and it's supposed to be "the opportunity for you to ask questions", but basically it's just another interview round as they ask you the standard questions about what you worked on at previous jobs, and maybe even some light problem solving questions, but thankfully you don't have to write code over lunch.

Interview Questions
  • 1) Write a method to find the lowest common ancestor of a binary search tree.
    2) Write a thread-safe singleton class.
    3) Design a parking lot system that will return the number of the next open space. Consider how to optimize the solution if the parking lot was gigantic.
    4) Design a history system for a web browser that allows the user to navigate forward, backward, and enter a new URL.
    5) Write a method that takes a list of strings and returns a list of buckets of anagrams of those strings.
    6) If you have a two-dimensional array representing a maze, return a solution for the path from the upper-left corner to the lower-right corner. You can only move down or right.
    ie: input:
    [1, 1, 0, 0]
    [1, 1. 0, 0]
    [0. 1, 1. 1]
    solution:
    [1, 1, 0, 0]
    [0, 1, 1, 1]
    7) If you have an input character array, for example "_ _ _hello_ _ _ world _ _", write a method to return a character array with the leading and training spaces removed and only one space between each word, ie: "hello_world"
    8) Describe how you might architect a system for searching across multiple data sets and returning the results to a client. If some data sets came from external sources, how could you mitigate the amount of code that you'd need to re-write? How can you ensure that all the results are returned to the client at the same time?
    9) Describe how you might architect a system that receives a constant stream of data (such as stock ticker symbols and prices) and sends this data to multiple subscribers that only want to listen for certain tickers. Suppose there is a massive amount of data and you discover there is a long delay in the data reaching the consumers. How would you solve this?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

This is probably more in general than specific to any one company, as many companies do the same exact process. They get you in a room with a white board or a pen and paper and there you go, they ask you questions. In all my years of programming, I never do this on an actual job. I write programs. It's interesting how a process can allow people that are good at memorizing to succeed, but hard core coders can fail. I know it's my own limitations, but I haven't worked anywhere yet where I haven't been one of the top programmers (usually the top), but I cannot get through these types of interviews and I've been on a few. In college I bombed tests, because my memory sucks for this stuff, but all the guys getting A's came to me for their programming help. I've written and sold more programs that anyone I know that also always holds a full time job. So I cram before these interviews, relearn all the stuff I haven't touched since college just to answer the questions. Stuff that I only learn when I have an application that needs it. I pick up and am able to apply new technology very quickly, but I also brain dump just as quickly when I haven't used it in a while. So I see guys that cannot code, but can memorize getting through this process with flying colors, and I can never get to that level, even though I know I would shine at any coding they gave me. Only once have I been on an interview where it was really geared towards who can actually code. They put all the candidates in a room, split us into teams, and gave us a project. It was actually fun, took two days, but they watched and were able to see the guys that could apply the knowledge rather than just regurgitate it. Yeah, it was in a language I had never used before, but again I pick up things quickly and haven't missed a deadline yet. Just frustration with the process.

Interview Questions
    • What's the function call and syntax to create a thread in windows api   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone screening with a small coding problem using HackerRank. The interviewer did compile and test the code so pay attention to details! A week later on-site interview, 3 teams, first two technical, last one management. Difficult but fair, I really liked their attitude... Sr. Manager was not on site, I did not see the HR person.

Interview Questions
    • Generic questions regarding multi-threading, no C++ 11 (is not approved for use yet), design patterns etc.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

I interviewed with 4 different teams. All 4 had the same format- some questions about your resume/experience, interactive coding session using Hackerrank, and then time for you to ask the interviewer questions. One of the teams had a pre-requisite of a take-home Hackerrank exam. You have two days to complete it. It was actually somewhat related to that team's real-world work so that was fun. I finished it in about 6 hrs.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Standard software engineering interview. Data structures, algorithms, problem solving. Try to tell good engaging stories of how you solved a difficult problem using a technical solution - I think this is what they were impressed with the most.
    Offer was very good, overall stable company with a lot of work in the R&D department. Highly recommended.

Interview Questions
    • Write an program to calculate the square root of an integer   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

1st Phone interview -
    - Given a array of numbers and sum k, find a pair in the array that sum to k
    - Give an algorithm to print the paragraph of text based on the screen size

2nd Phone interview -
    - Find the m-th last element in a linked list
    - Given a large collection of characters(collection will have duplicates as well) and a dictionary, find an efficient algorithm to return the 10 longest words you can form using the characters in the collection. If a character is used in a word, it cannot be used in the next word.

On site Interview -
    1st round -
    Given meetings schedule of the participants. Find a slot when everyone is free

2nd round -
    - Each node has up, down, next pointers. Up points to a number less than self, down points to number greater than self. All the nodes are sorted. Flatten the linked list such that it has only next pointer and all the nodes remain sorted.
    - There is an inflow of ticker symbols and prices. Maintain min, max, last 5 prices seen
    - Decrypt a string of text. You are given a dictionary and a method that returns a score for a character which is less than 1. If we sum of the scores of all the 26 characters we get 1.

3rd round - senior manager
    There are 100 people sitting in a circle. Every second person is opted out. Who wins.
    4th round -
    Casual discussion with senior manager
    5th round -
    HR talked about experience through out the day and salary and benefits

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Lots of tedious online tests before even getting to a phone interview - which was itself another interacitve computer test. It seemed like a lot of trouble considering the job. I find it kind of funny companies like Bloomberg (& Google & M$ et al) go so crazy for difficult interviews for what are basically run-of-the-mill IT jobs.

Interview Questions

I didn't care for the corporate culture

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Had one technical phone interview. We also used HackerRank to share an IDE screen. I was asked a series of questions about bash and c++. I was given some example code or an example dataset and was asked to implement a solution or algorithm. I had no experience in bash so this interview did not go well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Recruiter submitted my resume for two groups. There was one phone and two face to face interviews per group. In each round I was asked to write code. Concepts and questions asked were basic but they would mostly keep grilling on same question a lot changing the problem statement a little here and there. I would advise candidates to go through basic concepts of C++, and be prepared to write code which is almost accurate on syntax and logic, like implementing smart pointers. And be prepared on whatever is mentioned on resume, projects and specific technical challenges faced. A few times the challenges I mentioned were turned into coding questions too. All in all, I dont think Bloomberg C++ interview is too difficult to prepare for, I wasnt asked complex puzzles checking how out-of-the-box can i think, they seem to be concerned if u can code or not, not if u r a code guru.

Interview Questions
    • The one question i could not code properly: 'write a class for implementing big numbers, really big, which cant be stored in built in types, and all operations involving numbers.' I did write something but it did not look efficient enough.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

I applied online and was called for telephonic interview. The telephonic interview was for 1 hour and comprised mostly of Java and SQL questions.

Some of the topics for the questions were ,

Generics(Type Erasure) , Annotation, Final, Volatile, StringBuffer/StringBuilder, Reference Counting (GC algorithms), SQL joins, full table scan, full index scan, query tunning.