Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

31 interviews

3.5

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Had one technical phone interview. We also used HackerRank to share an IDE screen. I was asked a series of questions about bash and c++. I was given some example code or an example dataset and was asked to implement a solution or algorithm. I had no experience in bash so this interview did not go well.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Lots of tedious online tests before even getting to a phone interview - which was itself another interacitve computer test. It seemed like a lot of trouble considering the job. I find it kind of funny companies like Bloomberg (& Google & M$ et al) go so crazy for difficult interviews for what are basically run-of-the-mill IT jobs.

Interview Questions

I didn't care for the corporate culture

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

I applied online and was called for telephonic interview. The telephonic interview was for 1 hour and comprised mostly of Java and SQL questions.

Some of the topics for the questions were ,

Generics(Type Erasure) , Annotation, Final, Volatile, StringBuffer/StringBuilder, Reference Counting (GC algorithms), SQL joins, full table scan, full index scan, query tunning.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

asked on phone interview about how to implement history of a web browser but dont show duplicates and need to show in reverse order meaning from the most recent till the 5th website visited

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2013.

Bloomberg has a pretty intensive interview process. Met with two groups and both interviews lasted 3-4 hours. Met with teams of two developers at a time. Generally they probed for insights about different architectural issues and had you solve programming tasks. Interviewers looked for code to be written with pen and paper. The questions were challenging but reasonable and they were encouraging if you got stuck or missed something.

Interview Questions
    • They asked for insights on architectures common to their environment and dealing a lot with scalability issues.   Answer Question

New york living.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2010.

2 round of technical phone screen, 2 round of technical onsite, then 2 round talk to senior managers. The interview questions is not difficult. no lunch even I began the interview at 10:00AM and ended it at 3:00PM.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2009.

- Gave my resume to a recruiter. He called me back after couple of weeks saying I needed to take an only C/C++ proficiency test.
    - Did the Skill test over the internet (C/C++)
    - few days later, did phone interview over one hour
    - few days later, full day on site interviews. About 6 or 8 interviews with higher and higher level managers. Around 8 hours.
    - Last interview was with HR, who provided me with an offer

Interview Questions
    • Writing code on papers. This is not as easy as it sounds if you are not used to it.
      One unexpected question that I remember, was:
      I do grep on a large file local file and it a long time. I do it again and now it takes much faster. Provide an explanation of this behavior.
        View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Had interview with them few weeks back

My first round was simple DS/C++ problems
    1. How to get top 10 most traded stocks from continous feed of stock trade
    2. Implement a function so that it will not proceed with its operations if it is called more than 100 times per minute

Second Round
    1. Implement Shared pointer
    2. Design a Web Service, where multiple feeds are input and they are trying to modify a common database

Third Round
    They showed me Bloomberg Terminal. Asked very generic questions what were the most challenging moments in your career. How do you plan your work? Few questions around the background.

After this I met with HR and he said entire team is really positive about me.

Fourth Round
    Interview with the senior manager. Showed me Bloomberg Terminal again, I kept asking him all the queries I had around the terminal. In the end he said you asked really good questions

HR Round
    He said people are very positive. Discussed salary expectation and all the benefits Bloomberg provides.

Round with Head of the Business unit
    He was not sure that I had all the technical rounds before and asked me very basic programming questions
    1. Error in the code
    2. Difference between 32 bit and 64 bit systems

Few behavioral questions, Why Bloomberg? Why we should hire you?

After this HR told me that people were really positive and he will send me salary breakup next day. I didn't received any confirmation from them for a week and later found out that I was not selected. This is really unusual of Bloomberg as they respond within 2 days. I answered their each and every technical question, I really don't know what they expect.

Overall a good company with weird people.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult, they have very average questions. They just try to give you stress in the process.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone screen followed by onsite interview with couple of FOB types. Asked all kinds of minutia about C and C++. Interviewers were very rude. I had more experience then them in various areas so they seemed to be trying to take me down a peg. Didn't get any time to ask about the role.

Interview Questions
    • Dig up the C++ faq and memorize. That's the only way to please these types. Even then look to be disqualified if the think you might potentially get into a lead position.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Couple telephone interviews - first with HR and then a tech screening. Pretty strong interview for finance technology company. Know your CS basics - even if you've been out of college for 10+ years. Big O of sorting algos, data structures (how they are implemented, etc.), what is the vtable in c++, etc.

Interview Questions
    • (1)
      Picture a restaurant kitchen with tickets of customer’s orders which has a start time, end time of when the order was completed, and price. How would you find the longest contiguous time that tickets were processed within a given day?

Input is an unordered vector.
      First sort the vector - which sort? What is different between quick/insertion/merge/etc.?
      What would be your algorithm? Do you loop through the vector?
      What would be the variables you store?

(2)
      How would you build an index for a given book?
      What data structures would you use?
      What algorithms would you use?

(3)
      Multithreading and deadlocks. Problems with producer-consumer models.

(4)
      Big O of traversing a linked list. What algo would you use.
        View Answer

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!