Bloomberg L.P.

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called for telephonic interview. The telephonic interview was for 1 hour and comprised mostly of Java and SQL questions.

Some of the topics for the questions were ,

Generics(Type Erasure) , Annotation, Final, Volatile, StringBuffer/StringBuilder, Reference Counting (GC algorithms), SQL joins, full table scan, full index scan, query tunning.

Interview Question – Nothing as such.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

Interview Details – asked on phone interview about how to implement history of a web browser but dont show duplicates and need to show in reverse order meaning from the most recent till the 5th website visited

Interview Question – same as above   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2013.

Interview Details – Bloomberg has a pretty intensive interview process. Met with two groups and both interviews lasted 3-4 hours. Met with teams of two developers at a time. Generally they probed for insights about different architectural issues and had you solve programming tasks. Interviewers looked for code to be written with pen and paper. The questions were challenging but reasonable and they were encouraging if you got stuck or missed something.

Interview Question – They asked for insights on architectures common to their environment and dealing a lot with scalability issues.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – New york living.

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2010.

Interview Details – 2 round of technical phone screen, 2 round of technical onsite, then 2 round talk to senior managers. The interview questions is not difficult. no lunch even I began the interview at 10:00AM and ended it at 3:00PM.

Interview Question – Just general question.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2009.

Interview Details – - Gave my resume to a recruiter. He called me back after couple of weeks saying I needed to take an only C/C++ proficiency test.
- Did the Skill test over the internet (C/C++)
- few days later, did phone interview over one hour
- few days later, full day on site interviews. About 6 or 8 interviews with higher and higher level managers. Around 8 hours.
- Last interview was with HR, who provided me with an offer

Interview Question – Writing code on papers. This is not as easy as it sounds if you are not used to it.
One unexpected question that I remember, was:
I do grep on a large file local file and it a long time. I do it again and now it takes much faster. Provide an explanation of this behavior.
  View Answer

New York, NY

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – Had interview with them few weeks back

My first round was simple DS/C++ problems
1. How to get top 10 most traded stocks from continous feed of stock trade
2. Implement a function so that it will not proceed with its operations if it is called more than 100 times per minute

Second Round
1. Implement Shared pointer
2. Design a Web Service, where multiple feeds are input and they are trying to modify a common database

Third Round
They showed me Bloomberg Terminal. Asked very generic questions what were the most challenging moments in your career. How do you plan your work? Few questions around the background.

After this I met with HR and he said entire team is really positive about me.

Fourth Round
Interview with the senior manager. Showed me Bloomberg Terminal again, I kept asking him all the queries I had around the terminal. In the end he said you asked really good questions

HR Round
He said people are very positive. Discussed salary expectation and all the benefits Bloomberg provides.

Round with Head of the Business unit
He was not sure that I had all the technical rounds before and asked me very basic programming questions
1. Error in the code
2. Difference between 32 bit and 64 bit systems

Few behavioral questions, Why Bloomberg? Why we should hire you?

After this HR told me that people were really positive and he will send me salary breakup next day. I didn't received any confirmation from them for a week and later found out that I was not selected. This is really unusual of Bloomberg as they respond within 2 days. I answered their each and every technical question, I really don't know what they expect.

Overall a good company with weird people.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult, they have very average questions. They just try to give you stress in the process.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Phone screen followed by onsite interview with couple of FOB types. Asked all kinds of minutia about C and C++. Interviewers were very rude. I had more experience then them in various areas so they seemed to be trying to take me down a peg. Didn't get any time to ask about the role.

Interview Question – Dig up the C++ faq and memorize. That's the only way to please these types. Even then look to be disqualified if the think you might potentially get into a lead position.   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview Details – Couple telephone interviews - first with HR and then a tech screening. Pretty strong interview for finance technology company. Know your CS basics - even if you've been out of college for 10+ years. Big O of sorting algos, data structures (how they are implemented, etc.), what is the vtable in c++, etc.

Interview Question – (1)
Picture a restaurant kitchen with tickets of customer’s orders which has a start time, end time of when the order was completed, and price. How would you find the longest contiguous time that tickets were processed within a given day?

Input is an unordered vector.
First sort the vector - which sort? What is different between quick/insertion/merge/etc.?
What would be your algorithm? Do you loop through the vector?
What would be the variables you store?

(2)
How would you build an index for a given book?
What data structures would you use?
What algorithms would you use?

(3)
Multithreading and deadlocks. Problems with producer-consumer models.

(4)
Big O of traversing a linked list. What algo would you use.
  View Answer

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2011.

Interview Details – I had recruit firm, that really helped me to prepare for interview. Interview was pretty hard and require deep knowledge of C++.

Interview Question – I had several question not related to programming. Some kind of logical question   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of a telephonic first round, then was flown in for in person technical rounds. Fairly run of the mill interview process. Be prepared to write code on pen and paper though for fairly straighforward problems.

Interview focused on problem solving, basic algorithms and data structures. Then a bunch of questions on c++/c#.

Interview Question – None - were fairly straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was given a fairly low figure - I asked and was given an additional 10k base plus 5k bonus,

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.