Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Nov 13, 2014

3.5

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Standard software engineering interview. Data structures, algorithms, problem solving. Try to tell good engaging stories of how you solved a difficult problem using a technical solution - I think this is what they were impressed with the most.
Offer was very good, overall stable company with a lot of work in the R&D department. Highly recommended.

Interview Questions
  • Write an program to calculate the square root of an integer   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

1st Phone interview -
    - Given a array of numbers and sum k, find a pair in the array that sum to k
    - Give an algorithm to print the paragraph of text based on the screen size

2nd Phone interview -
    - Find the m-th last element in a linked list
    - Given a large collection of characters(collection will have duplicates as well) and a dictionary, find an efficient algorithm to return the 10 longest words you can form using the characters in the collection. If a character is used in a word, it cannot be used in the next word.

On site Interview -
    1st round -
    Given meetings schedule of the participants. Find a slot when everyone is free

2nd round -
    - Each node has up, down, next pointers. Up points to a number less than self, down points to number greater than self. All the nodes are sorted. Flatten the linked list such that it has only next pointer and all the nodes remain sorted.
    - There is an inflow of ticker symbols and prices. Maintain min, max, last 5 prices seen
    - Decrypt a string of text. You are given a dictionary and a method that returns a score for a character which is less than 1. If we sum of the scores of all the 26 characters we get 1.

3rd round - senior manager
    There are 100 people sitting in a circle. Every second person is opted out. Who wins.
    4th round -
    Casual discussion with senior manager
    5th round -
    HR talked about experience through out the day and salary and benefits

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Lots of tedious online tests before even getting to a phone interview - which was itself another interacitve computer test. It seemed like a lot of trouble considering the job. I find it kind of funny companies like Bloomberg (& Google & M$ et al) go so crazy for difficult interviews for what are basically run-of-the-mill IT jobs.

Interview Questions

I didn't care for the corporate culture

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Had one technical phone interview. We also used HackerRank to share an IDE screen. I was asked a series of questions about bash and c++. I was given some example code or an example dataset and was asked to implement a solution or algorithm. I had no experience in bash so this interview did not go well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

I applied online and was called for telephonic interview. The telephonic interview was for 1 hour and comprised mostly of Java and SQL questions.

Some of the topics for the questions were ,

Generics(Type Erasure) , Annotation, Final, Volatile, StringBuffer/StringBuilder, Reference Counting (GC algorithms), SQL joins, full table scan, full index scan, query tunning.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

asked on phone interview about how to implement history of a web browser but dont show duplicates and need to show in reverse order meaning from the most recent till the 5th website visited

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2013.

Bloomberg has a pretty intensive interview process. Met with two groups and both interviews lasted 3-4 hours. Met with teams of two developers at a time. Generally they probed for insights about different architectural issues and had you solve programming tasks. Interviewers looked for code to be written with pen and paper. The questions were challenging but reasonable and they were encouraging if you got stuck or missed something.

Interview Questions
    • They asked for insights on architectures common to their environment and dealing a lot with scalability issues.   Answer Question

New york living.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Had interview with them few weeks back

My first round was simple DS/C++ problems
    1. How to get top 10 most traded stocks from continous feed of stock trade
    2. Implement a function so that it will not proceed with its operations if it is called more than 100 times per minute

Second Round
    1. Implement Shared pointer
    2. Design a Web Service, where multiple feeds are input and they are trying to modify a common database

Third Round
    They showed me Bloomberg Terminal. Asked very generic questions what were the most challenging moments in your career. How do you plan your work? Few questions around the background.

After this I met with HR and he said entire team is really positive about me.

Fourth Round
    Interview with the senior manager. Showed me Bloomberg Terminal again, I kept asking him all the queries I had around the terminal. In the end he said you asked really good questions

HR Round
    He said people are very positive. Discussed salary expectation and all the benefits Bloomberg provides.

Round with Head of the Business unit
    He was not sure that I had all the technical rounds before and asked me very basic programming questions
    1. Error in the code
    2. Difference between 32 bit and 64 bit systems

Few behavioral questions, Why Bloomberg? Why we should hire you?

After this HR told me that people were really positive and he will send me salary breakup next day. I didn't received any confirmation from them for a week and later found out that I was not selected. This is really unusual of Bloomberg as they respond within 2 days. I answered their each and every technical question, I really don't know what they expect.

Overall a good company with weird people.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult, they have very average questions. They just try to give you stress in the process.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone screen followed by onsite interview with couple of FOB types. Asked all kinds of minutia about C and C++. Interviewers were very rude. I had more experience then them in various areas so they seemed to be trying to take me down a peg. Didn't get any time to ask about the role.

Interview Questions
    • Dig up the C++ faq and memorize. That's the only way to please these types. Even then look to be disqualified if the think you might potentially get into a lead position.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Couple telephone interviews - first with HR and then a tech screening. Pretty strong interview for finance technology company. Know your CS basics - even if you've been out of college for 10+ years. Big O of sorting algos, data structures (how they are implemented, etc.), what is the vtable in c++, etc.

Interview Questions
    • (1)
      Picture a restaurant kitchen with tickets of customer’s orders which has a start time, end time of when the order was completed, and price. How would you find the longest contiguous time that tickets were processed within a given day?

Input is an unordered vector.
      First sort the vector - which sort? What is different between quick/insertion/merge/etc.?
      What would be your algorithm? Do you loop through the vector?
      What would be the variables you store?

(2)
      How would you build an index for a given book?
      What data structures would you use?
      What algorithms would you use?

(3)
      Multithreading and deadlocks. Problems with producer-consumer models.

(4)
      Big O of traversing a linked list. What algo would you use.
        View Answer