Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Lots of tedious online tests before even getting to a phone interview - which was itself another interacitve computer test. It seemed like a lot of trouble considering the job. I find it kind of funny companies like Bloomberg (& Google & M$ et al) go so crazy for difficult interviews for what are basically run-of-the-mill IT jobs.

Interview Questions

I didn't care for the corporate culture

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview

Had one technical phone interview. We also used HackerRank to share an IDE screen. I was asked a series of questions about bash and c++. I was given some example code or an example dataset and was asked to implement a solution or algorithm. I had no experience in bash so this interview did not go well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Recruiter submitted my resume for two groups. There was one phone and two face to face interviews per group. In each round I was asked to write code. Concepts and questions asked were basic but they would mostly keep grilling on same question a lot changing the problem statement a little here and there. I would advise candidates to go through basic concepts of C++, and be prepared to write code which is almost accurate on syntax and logic, like implementing smart pointers. And be prepared on whatever is mentioned on resume, projects and specific technical challenges faced. A few times the challenges I mentioned were turned into coding questions too. All in all, I dont think Bloomberg C++ interview is too difficult to prepare for, I wasnt asked complex puzzles checking how out-of-the-box can i think, they seem to be concerned if u can code or not, not if u r a code guru.

Interview Questions

• The one question i could not code properly: 'write a class for implementing big numbers, really big, which cant be stored in built in types, and all operations involving numbers.' I did write something but it did not look efficient enough.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was called for telephonic interview. The telephonic interview was for 1 hour and comprised mostly of Java and SQL questions.

Some of the topics for the questions were ,

Generics(Type Erasure) , Annotation, Final, Volatile, StringBuffer/StringBuilder, Reference Counting (GC algorithms), SQL joins, full table scan, full index scan, query tunning.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

asked on phone interview about how to implement history of a web browser but dont show duplicates and need to show in reverse order meaning from the most recent till the 5th website visited

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2013.

Interview

Bloomberg has a pretty intensive interview process. Met with two groups and both interviews lasted 3-4 hours. Met with teams of two developers at a time. Generally they probed for insights about different architectural issues and had you solve programming tasks. Interviewers looked for code to be written with pen and paper. The questions were challenging but reasonable and they were encouraging if you got stuck or missed something.

Interview Questions

• They asked for insights on architectures common to their environment and dealing a lot with scalability issues.   Answer Question

New york living.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Had interview with them few weeks back

My first round was simple DS/C++ problems
    1. How to get top 10 most traded stocks from continous feed of stock trade
    2. Implement a function so that it will not proceed with its operations if it is called more than 100 times per minute

Second Round
    1. Implement Shared pointer
    2. Design a Web Service, where multiple feeds are input and they are trying to modify a common database

Third Round
    They showed me Bloomberg Terminal. Asked very generic questions what were the most challenging moments in your career. How do you plan your work? Few questions around the background.

After this I met with HR and he said entire team is really positive about me.

Fourth Round
    Interview with the senior manager. Showed me Bloomberg Terminal again, I kept asking him all the queries I had around the terminal. In the end he said you asked really good questions

HR Round
    He said people are very positive. Discussed salary expectation and all the benefits Bloomberg provides.

Round with Head of the Business unit
    He was not sure that I had all the technical rounds before and asked me very basic programming questions
    1. Error in the code
    2. Difference between 32 bit and 64 bit systems

Few behavioral questions, Why Bloomberg? Why we should hire you?

After this HR told me that people were really positive and he will send me salary breakup next day. I didn't received any confirmation from them for a week and later found out that I was not selected. This is really unusual of Bloomberg as they respond within 2 days. I answered their each and every technical question, I really don't know what they expect.

Overall a good company with weird people.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult, they have very average questions. They just try to give you stress in the process.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Phone screen followed by onsite interview with couple of FOB types. Asked all kinds of minutia about C and C++. Interviewers were very rude. I had more experience then them in various areas so they seemed to be trying to take me down a peg. Didn't get any time to ask about the role.

Interview Questions

• Dig up the C++ faq and memorize. That's the only way to please these types. Even then look to be disqualified if the think you might potentially get into a lead position.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Couple telephone interviews - first with HR and then a tech screening. Pretty strong interview for finance technology company. Know your CS basics - even if you've been out of college for 10+ years. Big O of sorting algos, data structures (how they are implemented, etc.), what is the vtable in c++, etc.

Interview Questions

• (1)
      Picture a restaurant kitchen with tickets of customer’s orders which has a start time, end time of when the order was completed, and price. How would you find the longest contiguous time that tickets were processed within a given day?

Input is an unordered vector.
      First sort the vector - which sort? What is different between quick/insertion/merge/etc.?
      What would be your algorithm? Do you loop through the vector?
      What would be the variables you store?

(2)
      How would you build an index for a given book?
      What data structures would you use?
      What algorithms would you use?

(3)
      Multithreading and deadlocks. Problems with producer-consumer models.

(4)
      Big O of traversing a linked list. What algo would you use.

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

I had interview with them at least 10 to 12 times over the years and they are the worst ones to interview with. They as all these low level compiler questions and if you answer one question right they dig deeper into how the compiler works and all the features of the Language usually C++. Most all this information is just rote academic knowledge which has very little commercial value but they expect you to know it.

The last interview the some of the questions did not make any sense and when I looked them up it confirmed that he did not know what he was asking. I would forget talking to Bloomberg. I is a wast of time and if you get past the telephone interview and they bring you in then will ask more of these rote knowledge questions of you.

They hire very few people and I was almost never impressed with talking to the people who did the interviewing. They did not seem to have a clue about the applications they are working on and could not follow anything when I described what I had done in the past to design systems that did similar thing to what they were suppose to be working on.

The place is also filled with almost all H-1Bs so most Americans will not have a chance of getting in there.

Interview Questions

• What happens when a constructor fails. And then what happens when a distructor fails.   2 Answers