Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.2

95 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I had a telephonic round scheduled. The interviewer asked one problem and a puzzle.
The problem given was that I have an unsorted array. I need to write a simple function which returns the index of the first and second minimum element in the array.
The puzzle given was that if I paint a 10*10*10 cube from all sides, how many smaller cubes would remain white (unpainted).
The interviewer was very friendly, and guided me well throughout. I was very nervous during the interview did not answer confidently, and thus lost my chance.

Interview Questions
  • Overall it was not a difficult interview. I could have done much better only if I would not have got nervous.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

Experience wasn't great. First, I had a phone interview, but it was very uncomfortable because my interviewer did not bother to reserve a conference room, and it was hard to hear him with all the noise around him at his desk. Nevertheless, I did well with the fairly standard questions I got, and I was asked to come to their NY office.

Their office was actually interesting, since they went for the flashy environment given their media business. I first had an interview with 2 engineers, and one of them had a very annoying attitude. I feel he wanted to be smart about the interview and sort of be a "bad cop." It was painful process, and they left the room at the end. After a long while I got two more people come to my room. I think there was a long gap between interviewers because they would discuss to see if they wanted to bother with more interviews with you. If they know after the first interview they don't want to hire they'll escort you out.

The second set of interviewers came in, and they were technically the least impressive interviewers I have ever spoken with. It was extremely hard to communicate with them, and I feel they wanted me to explain every single detail as though I was speaking with someone who never coded. Even after I did so, they would not follow the solution I had for standard Cracking the Code interview questions. I had probably a dozen interviews under my belt at that point, and I had never encountered such communication issue, either on phone, writing on bigger notepads, or writing on the white board. On top of that, we didn't even get to write on white boards and had to write everything on these tiny notepads. I'm not sure if they wanted to see how you communicated under such constraints, but it was a very annoying experience. Clearly, it was a waste of time for both the company, and me, and I decided to accept an offer on the West coast.

I would recommend Bloomberg to get bigger notepads or let interviewees use the white boards, and definitely ask that interviewers know at least two solutions to each problem they ask.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was complicated. It was really hard to communicate with interviewers.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

In the first round of interview, they just ask me about linked list problem and how to store matrix in a more efficient way. Then, I was informed that I go to the second round of interview. Then, in the second round interview, they ask me to find the biggest value of sub-string which was a dynamic programming problem which took me more than 20 minutes to solve this.

Interview Questions
    • Finding the biggest value of substring is the most difficult question I faced and my solution is not perfect as well   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

set up a phone technical interview
    1. why bloomberg
    2. difference between list and array in general, not specific in a certain language. When when would you like to use array and when would you like to choose list.
    3. merge two sorted array, one size is N, one is 2N, leetcode has the similar one question
    4. find a pair of Integers in the array which has max difference. Something like sell stock in the leetcode.

Interview Questions
    • nothing diffcult. I am too nervious and misunderstand the max difference question.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

In the last month, I took a phone interview with Bloomberg. No behaviors questions, and there are two coding questions over there. First of all, the interviewer gave a c function prototype, and give one rule for this function, then he said I need to figure out a implementation to satisfy the rule. It's a little tricky.
    The second questions is finding the rule of a given number sequence, and for each input, implement a function to apply the rule to input and generate the output sequence.

Interview Questions
    • I think the first one is tricky. At the very beginning, I didn't catch the interviewer's point.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

If you apply through an on campus recruiter, you will first go through an on campus interview most probably. If not then a phone interview. There are a total of about 3 interview, before you get called on site for the final interviews. You get your decision pretty soon after.

Interview Questions
    • Given two arrays of sorted integers, how would you find the minimum difference in O(n) time.   View Answers (3)

Software Developer Interview

phone interview first, then on-site, if you have campus interview, just go for it. It is very helpful and useful .Besides, please remember to dress code to the interview. Phone call is about some behavior questions.

Interview Questions
    • i am not familiar with writing code on the hackrank   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

2 to 1 on-campus interview. They first let me explained projects I did, and then get right to the point---write code on paper. Two interviewers, each of them gave me one problem. The first one is to reverse a singly linked list. The other is copy a block of memory to destination (I don't think the problem was well defined, although I tried to make it clear). I was not satisfied with my performance, though the interviewers are helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Copy a block of memory from source to destination. You need to consider the overlapping cases. Yet I don't think copy from behind will solve the problem. Because the memory may overlap at the beginning. So a pre-check of overlapping region is necessary. In my view, for a typical copy operation the source should not be overwritten, but the answer allows for that. I was pretty confused...   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

For the first phone interview, I didn't get the phone call. The reciter then set another one for me. The phone interview took an hour. The compiling function of the online coding tool went down so I have to talk through my code to the interviewer. However I have a feeling that when I was talking about the answers the interviewer was doing his own staff. I need to wait for a long time for his response and I even asked whether he is still there or not. Almost at the end of that interview, the interviewer seemed has done his own works and asked me whether I have any questions for him, then he answered my questions patiently.

I got the onsite interview invitation the next Monday.

They have a travel agent helped me to book the ticket and flight and hotel. However, they explained that since the non-stop air ticket is too expensive, they have to book me a 1 stop one. It is only 1 hour and 40 minutes from my city to the NY, however, since I have to stop in another airport and the first flight delayed which made me fail to catch the connecting flight, it took me 9 hours to go the NY city the day before the interview and when I went back this happened again. Well I will suggest them to book a Grey hound ticket for the candidates next time. When I finally arrived at the LGA airport, the taxi they have arranged took me to a wrong hotel. Luckily the wrong one is closer to their HQ and I decided to stay there.

On the interview day, I only survived 2 rounds.
    The first round:
           1. Signal processing questions on my resume. What is LDPC, FFT?
           2. Return the index of the largest and second largest number of an given array
           3. Return the occurrence of each letter of a given string in alphabetical order
           4. If there is a people standing in the middle of a railway and there is a train from a unknown distance coming, there are two stations distanced 300m and 500m in two directions of the railway, he has to decide which direction he should run.
    The Second Round:
           1. best time to buy and sell stock
           2. brain teaser: two robot, same program make them meet each other without knowing their location and no communication between them. Solve it both in 1d and 2d
           3. Two linked list joint together, find the node they first meet
               what if there is another list point to one of them, how to find the point which the two lists merge

To sum up, the building is very nice but the travel experience was so unpleasant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

On Campus interview. Firstly talked about the most interesting project on resume, then 3 coding problems. there are two interviewers, each of them asked 1 to 2 questions. And at the end, I asked some questions.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of trivial questions about memory, flow over, pointer ......
      Question1, there are two linked list that might merge, find the merged node.
      Q2, integer to string