Bloomberg L.P.

Average Difficulty
69 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – Snacks, tour, breakfast and then 2 rounds of technical interviews
Each round interviewed by 2 people , after the second round I was expecting the third round to come up but was asked to leave.

Interview Questions

• Make a product array , such that each index has product of all the elements in the array except itself   Answer Question
  • Design to display latest socks. Top 10 ticker   View Answer
  • Given a pool of strings, any two of them can be joined if last char of first string and first char of second are equal, that joined string will inturn be added to the pool again
    Eg: abc and cba gives abcba, the common character will be taken once and that applies for for the last and first principle. Multiple characters can occur in the same string.
  • Find the Cycle in the graph
    Difference between tree and graph

Software Developer

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – submit resume online. Get a phone interview and I failed.The phone interview question is not hard, but you should be communicate with your interviewer enoughly. I failed on the first round of phone interview screening. It's very pity because the question is not hard. If this company is your dream company, remember don't start coidng at first, try to communicate with the interviewer.

Interview Question – The questions are basic,such as find whether two trees is subtree of each other.   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of techincal interviews. In both of them I was asked to code, basically algorithms. A problem was given and they had given me screen share access. They saw while I coded. 1st round went cool and I was selected for 2nd round. In the 2nd round the interviewer was very rigid and wanted me to code a particular way. Asked other java questions like garbage collection ,inner classes. Also asked a few database questions like joins and example usage of a left outer join.

Interview Question – They asked me to code a problem that was based on inversions algorithms.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – 2 Phone interviews followed by some onsite I think. I got out in the 2nd round. Questions were answerable and not very tough. Mostly were on data strcutures and algorithms.

Interview Question – Were on datastuctures   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, heard back few weeks later.

Scheduled for one phone interview. After the interview, heard back like 10 days later for invitation for onsite.

I scheduled onsite, but did not heard back ( no trip arrangement or anything) until a day before the interview, saying the interview was delayed by one day. (was getting frustrated).

When to onsite, with 4 rounds:

1. Interview with 3 R&D interviewers - general technical questions.

2. Interview with 2 R&D interviewers - same

3. Interview with HR - Behavioral

And then HR told me I'm done, and as I was leaving, he said no wait, you have one more so I did.

4. Interview with 1 R&D (i guess manager)

I had deadline in just 2 business days from the interview and HR told me that I should find out by then, but did not heard anything back.. Until exactly a week later I got an offer~ ha

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – 45 minutes phone interview. Some questions about C and C++. Which do you prefer and why? Some database questions.

Interview Question – What is an index in database?   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details – Campus interview 2 rounds and then final round, still on campus. I get the interview chance via UPENN career fair. On the career fair, HR asked me some technical problems like merge sort, difference between C/C++. Then I got a OCR chance. The first two round goes well but the final round is hard for me.

Interview Question – All questions: check if it's a valid BST, reverse linked list, merge two sorted list. Final round: get the median from N arrays (can't merge them first).   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a email requesting for few timeslots. The interview is scheduled few days later.

Interview Questions

• Find the max 5 salaries from the Emp table   View Answer
  • Questions on Multithreading:

1. Have 2 methods A,B and 2 threads t1, t2. Can the 2 threads invoke the methods A and B simultaneously?

2. What if the methods are declared synchronized?

3. What if I make one of the method static synchronized?
      View Answer
  • How do find out the duplicate number from the array of numbers? What is the time complexity?   View Answer
  • What is Serialization and Externalization?   View Answer
  • Tell me about Strings in java? Why are strings immutable?
    Are passwords stored as strings or char array?

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through Bloomberg's career website, later got contacted by a recruiter to schedule a phone interview. Like normal phone interview, It started from my self-introduction, then stuffs in my resume, C++ related question and then a design question about phone book.

Interview Question – Design an effective data structure for a phone book, which allows searching by name and also searching by number.   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – Two engineers. They asked questions one by one. The first question is to design a structure for the emplyee/manager system. An employee belongs to a manager. A manager has several employees. They may also belong to a manager. Design the structure so that it supports the following operation: delete an employee/manager, promotion(an employee becomes a manager). The second question is level-traversal a binary tree. The third one is about pass by reference or pass by value.

Interview Question – The first question.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 69 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.