Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.2

85 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

If you apply through an on campus recruiter, you will first go through an on campus interview most probably. If not then a phone interview. There are a total of about 3 interview, before you get called on site for the final interviews. You get your decision pretty soon after.

Interview Questions
  • Given two arrays of sorted integers, how would you find the minimum difference in O(n) time.   View Answers (3)

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

phone interview first, then on-site, if you have campus interview, just go for it. It is very helpful and useful .Besides, please remember to dress code to the interview. Phone call is about some behavior questions.

Interview Questions
    • i am not familiar with writing code on the hackrank   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

2 to 1 on-campus interview. They first let me explained projects I did, and then get right to the point---write code on paper. Two interviewers, each of them gave me one problem. The first one is to reverse a singly linked list. The other is copy a block of memory to destination (I don't think the problem was well defined, although I tried to make it clear). I was not satisfied with my performance, though the interviewers are helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Copy a block of memory from source to destination. You need to consider the overlapping cases. Yet I don't think copy from behind will solve the problem. Because the memory may overlap at the beginning. So a pre-check of overlapping region is necessary. In my view, for a typical copy operation the source should not be overwritten, but the answer allows for that. I was pretty confused...   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

On Campus interview. Firstly talked about the most interesting project on resume, then 3 coding problems. there are two interviewers, each of them asked 1 to 2 questions. And at the end, I asked some questions.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of trivial questions about memory, flow over, pointer ......
      Question1, there are two linked list that might merge, find the merged node.
      Q2, integer to string
      Q3. string to integer
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

For the first phone interview, I didn't get the phone call. The reciter then set another one for me. The phone interview took an hour. The compiling function of the online coding tool went down so I have to talk through my code to the interviewer. However I have a feeling that when I was talking about the answers the interviewer was doing his own staff. I need to wait for a long time for his response and I even asked whether he is still there or not. Almost at the end of that interview, the interviewer seemed has done his own works and asked me whether I have any questions for him, then he answered my questions patiently.

I got the onsite interview invitation the next Monday.

They have a travel agent helped me to book the ticket and flight and hotel. However, they explained that since the non-stop air ticket is too expensive, they have to book me a 1 stop one. It is only 1 hour and 40 minutes from my city to the NY, however, since I have to stop in another airport and the first flight delayed which made me fail to catch the connecting flight, it took me 9 hours to go the NY city the day before the interview and when I went back this happened again. Well I will suggest them to book a Grey hound ticket for the candidates next time. When I finally arrived at the LGA airport, the taxi they have arranged took me to a wrong hotel. Luckily the wrong one is closer to their HQ and I decided to stay there.

On the interview day, I only survived 2 rounds.
    The first round:
           1. Signal processing questions on my resume. What is LDPC, FFT?
           2. Return the index of the largest and second largest number of an given array
           3. Return the occurrence of each letter of a given string in alphabetical order
           4. If there is a people standing in the middle of a railway and there is a train from a unknown distance coming, there are two stations distanced 300m and 500m in two directions of the railway, he has to decide which direction he should run.
    The Second Round:
           1. best time to buy and sell stock
           2. brain teaser: two robot, same program make them meet each other without knowing their location and no communication between them. Solve it both in 1d and 2d
           3. Two linked list joint together, find the node they first meet
               what if there is another list point to one of them, how to find the point which the two lists merge

To sum up, the building is very nice but the travel experience was so unpleasant.

Software Developer Interview

Interview is on campus and last about 2 two hours. I demonstrated the project on the resume and then two recruiters asked me some technical questions. I only survived 2 rounds.

Interview Questions
    • It is about constructing model to predict when is the best chance to sale the stock.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Got the interview through a university career fair. The first interview was quite easy, the second really hard. I was asked questions about material that I had not yet taken the classes for and the interviewers did not seem to care. They continued to ask me questions about topics not taught at all at the university that only professionals/experts in C++ would know rather than the general conceptual/algorithmic/brain teaser questions that I have encountered in previous interviews. Also, there were no behavioral questions in the 2 hours of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Something regarding the destructor for non-dynamically allocated variables (aka variables on the stack, not heap) and how you can override this using some library that nobody I've asked about so far on campus has ever heard of.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I submitted the application through a refer. Then get an phone interview, asking basic c++ concepts and some basic coding questions, like BST. Then I'm invited to the campus interview, which was my worst experience ever, though not anyone's fault, mainly because of flight delays.

They arranged car to pick you up at the airport and give you $100 after the interview. The interview has several rounds, and if you're not doing well, you're taken out immediately after that round, like me.

In the only round I'm interviewed, I thought I'm doing all well except for one coding question.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

I applied online, one month later I received an e-mail asking to have a phone interview. The interview was pretty straightforward, some questions about BSTs and then I was asked general data structures questions (Lists, Queues…etc). One weeks later I received an invitation for an onsite interview.
    During the onsite interview I felt the questions were not that difficult. I was asked to program in C, I was nervous and later realized that I made some silly little mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how the garbage collector works in java and implement it using C/C++   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Didn't get contact with any HR Representative. Multiple rounds of interviews on campus. First day was with one person, second day was with a few. Two technical interviews, then HR interview, then interview with a manager (technical as well)

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions can vary, but come from all aspects of programming. Some high level, some design etc.   Answer Question