Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.2

100 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

People there are very very nice.

1) A tour, amazing view from 29th floor.
2) Two technical interviews, data structures & algorithms & c/c++ questions.
3) Manager & HR
4) Waiting for the result.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

Write code in a shared doc.
    buying and selling stock (Leetcode)
    Fibonacci series. What if integer overflow happens?

Interview Questions
    • In linear regression, what is the features are dependent (the feature matrix is not full rank)?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I applied online. The first round in the process is technical interview over phone. OOPS concepts were asked. Difference between several data structures - eg. ArrayList Vs LinkedList. Overriding hashcode() and Equals() in Java. Write a program to find pairs of numbers that sum upto a particular value. Few questions on projects and difficulties faced.

Software Developer Interview

I had a telephonic round scheduled. The interviewer asked one problem and a puzzle.
    The problem given was that I have an unsorted array. I need to write a simple function which returns the index of the first and second minimum element in the array.
    The puzzle given was that if I paint a 10*10*10 cube from all sides, how many smaller cubes would remain white (unpainted).
    The interviewer was very friendly, and guided me well throughout. I was very nervous during the interview did not answer confidently, and thus lost my chance.

Interview Questions
    • Overall it was not a difficult interview. I could have done much better only if I would not have got nervous.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Experience wasn't great. First, I had a phone interview, but it was very uncomfortable because my interviewer did not bother to reserve a conference room, and it was hard to hear him with all the noise around him at his desk. Nevertheless, I did well with the fairly standard questions I got, and I was asked to come to their NY office.

Their office was actually interesting, since they went for the flashy environment given their media business. I first had an interview with 2 engineers, and one of them had a very annoying attitude. I feel he wanted to be smart about the interview and sort of be a "bad cop." It was painful process, and they left the room at the end. After a long while I got two more people come to my room. I think there was a long gap between interviewers because they would discuss to see if they wanted to bother with more interviews with you. If they know after the first interview they don't want to hire they'll escort you out.

The second set of interviewers came in, and they were technically the least impressive interviewers I have ever spoken with. It was extremely hard to communicate with them, and I feel they wanted me to explain every single detail as though I was speaking with someone who never coded. Even after I did so, they would not follow the solution I had for standard Cracking the Code interview questions. I had probably a dozen interviews under my belt at that point, and I had never encountered such communication issue, either on phone, writing on bigger notepads, or writing on the white board. On top of that, we didn't even get to write on white boards and had to write everything on these tiny notepads. I'm not sure if they wanted to see how you communicated under such constraints, but it was a very annoying experience. Clearly, it was a waste of time for both the company, and me, and I decided to accept an offer on the West coast.

I would recommend Bloomberg to get bigger notepads or let interviewees use the white boards, and definitely ask that interviewers know at least two solutions to each problem they ask.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was complicated. It was really hard to communicate with interviewers.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

In the first round of interview, they just ask me about linked list problem and how to store matrix in a more efficient way. Then, I was informed that I go to the second round of interview. Then, in the second round interview, they ask me to find the biggest value of sub-string which was a dynamic programming problem which took me more than 20 minutes to solve this.

Interview Questions
    • Finding the biggest value of substring is the most difficult question I faced and my solution is not perfect as well   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

set up a phone technical interview
    1. why bloomberg
    2. difference between list and array in general, not specific in a certain language. When when would you like to use array and when would you like to choose list.
    3. merge two sorted array, one size is N, one is 2N, leetcode has the similar one question
    4. find a pair of Integers in the array which has max difference. Something like sell stock in the leetcode.

Interview Questions
    • nothing diffcult. I am too nervious and misunderstand the max difference question.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

In the last month, I took a phone interview with Bloomberg. No behaviors questions, and there are two coding questions over there. First of all, the interviewer gave a c function prototype, and give one rule for this function, then he said I need to figure out a implementation to satisfy the rule. It's a little tricky.
    The second questions is finding the rule of a given number sequence, and for each input, implement a function to apply the rule to input and generate the output sequence.

Interview Questions
    • I think the first one is tricky. At the very beginning, I didn't catch the interviewer's point.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

If you apply through an on campus recruiter, you will first go through an on campus interview most probably. If not then a phone interview. There are a total of about 3 interview, before you get called on site for the final interviews. You get your decision pretty soon after.

Interview Questions
    • Given two arrays of sorted integers, how would you find the minimum difference in O(n) time.   View Answers (3)

Software Developer Interview

phone interview first, then on-site, if you have campus interview, just go for it. It is very helpful and useful .Besides, please remember to dress code to the interview. Phone call is about some behavior questions.

Interview Questions
    • i am not familiar with writing code on the hackrank   View Answer