Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process. Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website) Phone Screen (2 hrs): The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions: - Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places - Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence: eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue" - Reverse an integer: eg: 3421 --> 1243 I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well. Onsite Interview (4 rounds): The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day. Round 1 (2 hrs): 2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit. First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects. The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop. Round 2 (2 hrs): Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to: a) Get the the info of a person from the name b) Get the info of a person from a number Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions) At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview. Round 3 (45 mins): An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies. Round 4 (1 hr): Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building. I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later. P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Applied online. Referred by an employee. Got phone interview in a week. Then got onsite interview notice in 2 days. Onsite: 4 rounds. First 2 rounds are technical questions, 2 engineers each around. 3rd round is manager. 4th is hr.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: How to check if a function is called more than 10 times in a minute.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2015.

Interview

This is the first round phone interview. This phone interview lasted for 45 mins. It was a technical interview. My interviewer asked me couple questions about the basic concepts of data structures and algorithms. I programmed the pseudocode on the web. In the end, I asked interviewer some general questions about Bloomberg.

Interview Questions

• (1) Stack, Queue, Linked List and Array. Pros and Cons of each data structure. (e.g. if you read and delete a lot of data not insert too many data, which data structure will you pick?) (2) What's the average complexity and worse complexity of quick sort. (3) Reverse a string, and reverse a sentence. (4) Given 2 red balls 2 black balls and 1 white balls, and randomly pick 2 of them. What's the probability of having none of 2 balls that you picked is black?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The first round is a phone interview. After that, I was invited to an on-site. I didn't perform well on the first round, so I only have two rounds. In the first round, I was asking about some basic questions about C++ concepts, memory management. In the on-site question, one question is a math question about cutting pizzas, and the second one is about building a tree from a string

Interview Questions

• Some basic questions about data structures, some mathematics   Answer Question

Application

Interview

This was a phone screen. The technical phone screen was done through HackerRank. They paste in code and then you have to complete a function or debug. It's basic data structures and algorithms stuff, but the interviewer was rude and laughed at me. It was bizarre.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Phone interview,take about 50 mins, briefly go through my background (research, experience and skills) then two technical questions as stated below. first question took about 25 mins to answer and improve, and the second took 10 mins

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Meet then in career fair, had a data structure question asked about trees. Find LCA of BST. Called for an on campus interview next day.Had 3 more rounds of interview the day after. The came back with a offer week later.

Interview Questions

• Merge point of linked list. Convert decimal to binary in O(1). Design LRU cache. Paint a chess board.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2015.

Interview

It was a four-round interview. Everybody there was really friendly. They gave both technical and behavioral questions. First round was about algorithm. They asked questions like how to shuffle a playlist in an mp3. In the second round, the interviewer first reviewed my resume with me then asked a few designing questions. Third round was with HR. She gave basically behavioral questions. Final round was with the manager. Again a bunch of designing questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through a head hunter. Phone interview scheduled in 5days. Two people interviewed me over the phone- 2:1 interview style over hacker rank. They were patient but I couldn't understand one of the interviewers accent( this was what ruined the interview).

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between stack and heap memory? How does Garbage collection work? Static vs final variable Difference between C++ and Java. Programming Question: Write a programming to print the level-order of a binary search tree. B / \ L O / \ / \ O M B E / \ R G   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Three rounds: you are asked to leave after 2 if the performance is not good. I applied online and got an invitation for a phone interview pretty soon. There was a tour of the office before the interview where the HR walks us through the history of Bloomberg. There is no lunch interview: they give us a box of lunch in the morning and we can eat it between interviews.