Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions & Reviews

72 interviews

3.2

72 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2009.

The interview process consisted of several rounds: 1 online test, 1 phone interview, 2 interviews on-site. Most questions were difficult to say the least. The online test measured your C/C++ skills. The phone interview was OK. The onsite interviews were difficult, especially the final one with the head of R&D and HR.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2010.

On-line exam, thought it would mostly like be Java as thats what I selected in the application but the questions were mainly about C/C++. Extremely hard, coming out of university with a 1st class honours and I'd hardly heard of any of the concepts

Interview Questions
    • What type of search is this? Had an example of code (can't remember it off the top of my head)   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

Resume submitted, immediate response with an "Application Acknowledgement" email confirmation. A few days later a one hour almost expert level UNIX/C/C++ telephone techincal interview was scheduled, one interviewer. In depth questions almost down to textbook definitions that I last saw in school. Technical questions which included Multithreading and general problem solving questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2009.

Firstly, I was contacted by then and was asked which programming language I preferred out of C, C++ and Java. I was then given 3 days to prepare for an online examination. The examination was really hard and was something that I had never encounter as an computer engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Find the error and fill in the blanks, what is the output?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2010.

I applied through an online job website. And I was contacted by their HR staff. She was very efficient and was able to answer my queries. I was told the interview date and time. On the day of the interview, I was greeted at the hotel lobby by the recruiting manager. When my time came, the interviewer himself came to take me to the room. The following were the questions asked to me:
    1) Write the function prototype for strcmp
    2) Write the implementation for strcmp - there was a mistake in that and they made me point it out.
    3) they gave me a structure. struct A { char a; int b}; what is the size of it? (Ans: 0's padding concept)
    4) how will you count the number of 1's in an integer? write a function to do that (Either use mask, or bit shifting)
    5) polymorphism
    6) y do u use virtual functions
    7) what is inheritance
    8) since i had put linux experience on the resume, they asked about sockets, TCP/IP and UDP sockets.
    9) which kind of socket do you use for what application?
    10) Mutexes. i was asked return type of trylock() and how does it work?
    11) And describe how to set up a client and server connection? (what are the various function calls you use to set up a client-server?)
    The questions were not that tough but I dont know why, I was not able to do well. The interviewers were good and knew what they were looking for in candidates. Overall, it was a good experience for me.

Interview Questions
    • explain an interesting project which u have worked on and y u think it is interesting?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2008.

First round was technical, mostly C and C++, stress on pointers and data strucutures. One general math egg dropping problem. Got a call later saying ur in for round 2. Senior developer grilled for about an hour. Very aggressive and not ready to help or discuss the solution( he asked me to write code ), then 30 mins with a HR . She was totally not interested. No offer, rejection email few days later.

Interview Questions
    • you have two eggs, and a 100 storey building, find out the highest floor to throw them from so that they wont break, and in minimum number of tries.   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2010.

They first ran through my resume and asked about my co-op job, then about the C++ projects I had mentioned. They asked me a few conceptual C++ questions. in particular, about copy constructors, data structures, checking for a number in an array of 1-100 (ordered and unordered).

Interview Questions
    • What happens when no copy constructor is defined, but is called.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2010.

I applied it online and got an online test very soon. Within a few days i received email to schedule a phone interview. Basic questions like why bloomberg, then some brian teasers. I was informed to join the on-site interview. Still on the way. I'll keep it updated.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

Very friendly interviewers - interview basically consisted of brainteasers. Work environment seemed quite good.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember the details, but was asked a question regarding dropping eggs off high buildings to determine the height at which an egg would first break.   View Answers (5)

Got more exciting job offer in a preferred location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Applied online, heard back few weeks later.

Scheduled for one phone interview. After the interview, heard back like 10 days later for invitation for onsite.

I scheduled onsite, but did not heard back ( no trip arrangement or anything) until a day before the interview, saying the interview was delayed by one day. (was getting frustrated).

When to onsite, with 4 rounds:

1. Interview with 3 R&D interviewers - general technical questions.

2. Interview with 2 R&D interviewers - same

3. Interview with HR - Behavioral

And then HR told me I'm done, and as I was leaving, he said no wait, you have one more so I did.

4. Interview with 1 R&D (i guess manager)

I had deadline in just 2 business days from the interview and HR told me that I should find out by then, but did not heard anything back.. Until exactly a week later I got an offer~ ha

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!