Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.2

100 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First round - telephone - general programming question, the interviewer didnt bother with my coding skills, just my general knowledge of Java and C++

Second round - Bloomberg branch in Dublin - Part One - Two interviewers - linked list, palindrome (Java). Part Two - One interviewer - C question - hash-tables and general C questions.

Great people.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

People there are very very nice.

1) A tour, amazing view from 29th floor.
    2) Two technical interviews, data structures & algorithms & c/c++ questions.
    3) Manager & HR
    4) Waiting for the result.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The people were pretty friendly and the process seemed very quick. They're determined to trying to getting some of the best people working for them -- as, well, any company is -- but they seemed to be a little more so than others I've met. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to interview with them, as I learned a lot. The interviewers also seemed more casual than I expected, similar to west coast tech companies, than for a finance company.

Software Developer Interview

Write code in a shared doc.
    buying and selling stock (Leetcode)
    Fibonacci series. What if integer overflow happens?

Interview Questions
    • In linear regression, what is the features are dependent (the feature matrix is not full rank)?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I applied online. The first round in the process is technical interview over phone. OOPS concepts were asked. Difference between several data structures - eg. ArrayList Vs LinkedList. Overriding hashcode() and Equals() in Java. Write a program to find pairs of numbers that sum upto a particular value. Few questions on projects and difficulties faced.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

In the last month, I took a phone interview with Bloomberg. No behaviors questions, and there are two coding questions over there. First of all, the interviewer gave a c function prototype, and give one rule for this function, then he said I need to figure out a implementation to satisfy the rule. It's a little tricky.
    The second questions is finding the rule of a given number sequence, and for each input, implement a function to apply the rule to input and generate the output sequence.

Interview Questions
    • I think the first one is tricky. At the very beginning, I didn't catch the interviewer's point.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

set up a phone technical interview
    1. why bloomberg
    2. difference between list and array in general, not specific in a certain language. When when would you like to use array and when would you like to choose list.
    3. merge two sorted array, one size is N, one is 2N, leetcode has the similar one question
    4. find a pair of Integers in the array which has max difference. Something like sell stock in the leetcode.

Interview Questions
    • nothing diffcult. I am too nervious and misunderstand the max difference question.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I got the interview right at the campus job fair. I was informed to attend the interview next day.
    There were totally 4 rounds, the first two were technical interview by total of 4 senior engineers. The first one is easier, just some general question about data structure and object. Just in the afternoon after first round I was told to attend the second round. The second one is harder, I was asked two questions and wrote down my program immediately. The questions had nothing to do with language, just about your logical. Two days later, I was invited to the next round. But there were two rounds at one day. The first interviewer was a HR, just had a nice conversation. The last one was meet with manager. The manager also asked me one technical problem related to data structure, and asked me how to improve the performance due to complexity. So just always be prepared for technical questions for Bloomberg!

Interview Questions
    • After the second technical round I was told I had finished all the technical rounds, but surprisingly the manager also asked technical questions at the final round!   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I think the interview is smooth and all the people are really friendly to me. It’s really a great experience.

I find someone in the company refer me. Then applied online. I applied on Sep, and the process took 4 weeks before I could arrange a phone interview.

Phone:
    The phone interview is easy. No cpp questions. First introduce yourself, some behavior questions. Then tech question: given an array, how do you check if all the numbers are prime numbers? The array is sorted, you just return true or false. Then write code, and then a lot of followup questions for this problem.

I got the onsite interview the next day.

Onsite:
     The onsite interview is on Oct. 28th. Need business professional, and I had them on. Strangely, all the interviewers do not wear the suits but ask all the interviewees to wear. First take a tour around the company, famous curved elevator, then the fish tank, and the sky view on 29th floor. Nothing special. Then go to another part of the building to have the interview.

1st round: a white guy and an indian guy. First introduce themselves to me, then talk about myself, then tech problem. Given a binary tree, how to output it level by level. First just save it in the structure, this would takes space, so just use iterative method to traverse the tree. Using 2 queues, or just calculate the length for 1 level. Next one is ask given a string, and output would delete the spaces, how could u recover the original one. I stuck there not because this is too hard, but I didn’t get the point about what kind of solution he want. Finally he told me that himself. Use encoding method to encode all the original text and this could represent all different characters.

2nd round:
    Two traditional americans. They both working on a same team and they were just get there. First some behaviors. Then 1st tech is that, given an array of integers, how do you find the first unique element from it. First thought is naive, scan from the first element, then if there is any dup, then move to the next element. Second method is trivial, just try to use a hash map to store all the elements that in the string, if there is dup, just add the count.

Next question is about how to deal with a random music player. First start with the shuffle algorithm, then talking about using array to deal with the random and non-repeating thing.

3rd round:
    a manager from help team. Talking about background, then about some behavior questions.

Brain teaser: 3 ltr bucket, 7 ltr bucket, how to get 4 ltr water?
    follow up: 4min hourglass, 7 min hourglass, how to get 9 min?

4th round:
    hr interview, just blablabla talking all kinds of things.

The whole interview is kind of pleasant, except the first hard question about encoding. And the trip was nice and the office looks great. Anyway, good to get an offer in a early time!(hear back from hr 2 days after interview.)

Interview Questions
    • a function accept string input, and output would delete all the spaces, how could u recover the original one?   Answer Question
    There is no much space for new grad to negotiate

Software Developer Interview

I had a telephonic round scheduled. The interviewer asked one problem and a puzzle.
    The problem given was that I have an unsorted array. I need to write a simple function which returns the index of the first and second minimum element in the array.
    The puzzle given was that if I paint a 10*10*10 cube from all sides, how many smaller cubes would remain white (unpainted).
    The interviewer was very friendly, and guided me well throughout. I was very nervous during the interview did not answer confidently, and thus lost my chance.

Interview Questions
    • Overall it was not a difficult interview. I could have done much better only if I would not have got nervous.   Answer Question