Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

For the first phone interview, I didn't get the phone call. The reciter then set another one for me. The phone interview took an hour. The compiling function of the online coding tool went down so I have to talk through my code to the interviewer. However I have a feeling that when I was talking about the answers the interviewer was doing his own staff. I need to wait for a long time for his response and I even asked whether he is still there or not. Almost at the end of that interview, the interviewer seemed has done his own works and asked me whether I have any questions for him, then he answered my questions patiently. I got the onsite interview invitation the next Monday. They have a travel agent helped me to book the ticket and flight and hotel. However, they explained that since the non-stop air ticket is too expensive, they have to book me a 1 stop one. It is only 1 hour and 40 minutes from my city to the NY, however, since I have to stop in another airport and the first flight delayed which made me fail to catch the connecting flight, it took me 9 hours to go the NY city the day before the interview and when I went back this happened again. Well I will suggest them to book a Grey hound ticket for the candidates next time. When I finally arrived at the LGA airport, the taxi they have arranged took me to a wrong hotel. Luckily the wrong one is closer to their HQ and I decided to stay there. On the interview day, I only survived 2 rounds. The first round: 1. Signal processing questions on my resume. What is LDPC, FFT? 2. Return the index of the largest and second largest number of an given array 3. Return the occurrence of each letter of a given string in alphabetical order 4. If there is a people standing in the middle of a railway and there is a train from a unknown distance coming, there are two stations distanced 300m and 500m in two directions of the railway, he has to decide which direction he should run. The Second Round: 1. best time to buy and sell stock 2. brain teaser: two robot, same program make them meet each other without knowing their location and no communication between them. Solve it both in 1d and 2d 3. Two linked list joint together, find the node they first meet what if there is another list point to one of them, how to find the point which the two lists merge To sum up, the building is very nice but the travel experience was so unpleasant.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Interview

I think the interview is smooth and all the people are really friendly to me. It’s really a great experience. I find someone in the company refer me. Then applied online. I applied on Sep, and the process took 4 weeks before I could arrange a phone interview. Phone: The phone interview is easy. No cpp questions. First introduce yourself, some behavior questions. Then tech question: given an array, how do you check if all the numbers are prime numbers? The array is sorted, you just return true or false. Then write code, and then a lot of followup questions for this problem. I got the onsite interview the next day. Onsite: The onsite interview is on Oct. 28th. Need business professional, and I had them on. Strangely, all the interviewers do not wear the suits but ask all the interviewees to wear. First take a tour around the company, famous curved elevator, then the fish tank, and the sky view on 29th floor. Nothing special. Then go to another part of the building to have the interview. 1st round: a white guy and an indian guy. First introduce themselves to me, then talk about myself, then tech problem. Given a binary tree, how to output it level by level. First just save it in the structure, this would takes space, so just use iterative method to traverse the tree. Using 2 queues, or just calculate the length for 1 level. Next one is ask given a string, and output would delete the spaces, how could u recover the original one. I stuck there not because this is too hard, but I didn’t get the point about what kind of solution he want. Finally he told me that himself. Use encoding method to encode all the original text and this could represent all different characters. 2nd round: Two traditional americans. They both working on a same team and they were just get there. First some behaviors. Then 1st tech is that, given an array of integers, how do you find the first unique element from it. First thought is naive, scan from the first element, then if there is any dup, then move to the next element. Second method is trivial, just try to use a hash map to store all the elements that in the string, if there is dup, just add the count. Next question is about how to deal with a random music player. First start with the shuffle algorithm, then talking about using array to deal with the random and non-repeating thing. 3rd round: a manager from help team. Talking about background, then about some behavior questions. Brain teaser: 3 ltr bucket, 7 ltr bucket, how to get 4 ltr water? follow up: 4min hourglass, 7 min hourglass, how to get 9 min? 4th round: hr interview, just blablabla talking all kinds of things. The whole interview is kind of pleasant, except the first hard question about encoding. And the trip was nice and the office looks great. Anyway, good to get an offer in a early time!(hear back from hr 2 days after interview.)

Interview Questions

• a function accept string input, and output would delete all the spaces, how could u recover the original one?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no much space for new grad to negotiate

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Interview

I got the interview right at the campus job fair. I was informed to attend the interview next day. There were totally 4 rounds, the first two were technical interview by total of 4 senior engineers. The first one is easier, just some general question about data structure and object. Just in the afternoon after first round I was told to attend the second round. The second one is harder, I was asked two questions and wrote down my program immediately. The questions had nothing to do with language, just about your logical. Two days later, I was invited to the next round. But there were two rounds at one day. The first interviewer was a HR, just had a nice conversation. The last one was meet with manager. The manager also asked me one technical problem related to data structure, and asked me how to improve the performance due to complexity. So just always be prepared for technical questions for Bloomberg!

Interview Questions

• After the second technical round I was told I had finished all the technical rounds, but surprisingly the manager also asked technical questions at the final round!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

On Campus interview. Firstly talked about the most interesting project on resume, then 3 coding problems. there are two interviewers, each of them asked 1 to 2 questions. And at the end, I asked some questions.

Interview Questions

• Lots of trivial questions about memory, flow over, pointer ...... Question1, there are two linked list that might merge, find the merged node. Q2, integer to string Q3. string to integer   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Interview is on campus and last about 2 two hours. I demonstrated the project on the resume and then two recruiters asked me some technical questions. I only survived 2 rounds.

Interview Questions

• It is about constructing model to predict when is the best chance to sale the stock.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Interview

The people were pretty friendly and the process seemed very quick. They're determined to trying to getting some of the best people working for them -- as, well, any company is -- but they seemed to be a little more so than others I've met. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to interview with them, as I learned a lot. The interviewers also seemed more casual than I expected, similar to west coast tech companies, than for a finance company.

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Interview

Got the interview through a university career fair. The first interview was quite easy, the second really hard. I was asked questions about material that I had not yet taken the classes for and the interviewers did not seem to care. They continued to ask me questions about topics not taught at all at the university that only professionals/experts in C++ would know rather than the general conceptual/algorithmic/brain teaser questions that I have encountered in previous interviews. Also, there were no behavioral questions in the 2 hours of interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Something regarding the destructor for non-dynamically allocated variables (aka variables on the stack, not heap) and how you can override this using some library that nobody I've asked about so far on campus has ever heard of.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I submitted the application through a refer. Then get an phone interview, asking basic c++ concepts and some basic coding questions, like BST. Then I'm invited to the campus interview, which was my worst experience ever, though not anyone's fault, mainly because of flight delays. They arranged car to pick you up at the airport and give you $100 after the interview. The interview has several rounds, and if you're not doing well, you're taken out immediately after that round, like me. In the only round I'm interviewed, I thought I'm doing all well except for one coding question.

Interview Questions

• if a function returns itself, what will happen if it's called.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (College Park, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

Didn't get contact with any HR Representative. Multiple rounds of interviews on campus. First day was with one person, second day was with a few. Two technical interviews, then HR interview, then interview with a manager (technical as well)

Interview Questions

• Technical questions can vary, but come from all aspects of programming. Some high level, some design etc.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online, one month later I received an e-mail asking to have a phone interview. The interview was pretty straightforward, some questions about BSTs and then I was asked general data structures questions (Lists, Queues…etc). One weeks later I received an invitation for an onsite interview. During the onsite interview I felt the questions were not that difficult. I was asked to program in C, I was nervous and later realized that I made some silly little mistakes.

Interview Questions

• Explain how the garbage collector works in java and implement it using C/C++   1 Answer