Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.2

84 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2010.

Got the phone interview through a recruiter.
Question asked: 1. Difference between map and hasp map. 2. What kind of data structure behind STL map?
3. Difference between operator assignment and copy constructor? 4. What can be done in C but not in C++?
5. Describe your projects and what kind of technology used. 6. How do you use stack only to do sorting. 7. What header file if you want to malloc?

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2010.

Posted my resume on Dice and received a call the next day through a placement agency. They asked me for convenient times for the interview and set up an interview with Bloomberg.
    The first round was fairly straightforward - questions on UNIX, TCP/IP, Basic C/C++ questions
    The second round was a little more challenging - questions on data-structures and algorithms, class design etc.

Interview Questions
    • why cant union in c++ have a static data member or virtual function?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2010.

Had a telephone interview with brain teasers, then a skills assessment interview with 3 different ppl at Bloomberg. The interview went pretty well, they showed me the office afterwards and pay for the hotel stay in midtown manhattan. Questions asked: wrote a pseudo code for sorting algorithm and the like.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2010.

I applied through an online job website. And I was contacted by their HR staff. She was very efficient and was able to answer my queries. I was told the interview date and time. On the day of the interview, I was greeted at the hotel lobby by the recruiting manager. When my time came, the interviewer himself came to take me to the room. The following were the questions asked to me:
    1) Write the function prototype for strcmp
    2) Write the implementation for strcmp - there was a mistake in that and they made me point it out.
    3) they gave me a structure. struct A { char a; int b}; what is the size of it? (Ans: 0's padding concept)
    4) how will you count the number of 1's in an integer? write a function to do that (Either use mask, or bit shifting)
    5) polymorphism
    6) y do u use virtual functions
    7) what is inheritance
    8) since i had put linux experience on the resume, they asked about sockets, TCP/IP and UDP sockets.
    9) which kind of socket do you use for what application?
    10) Mutexes. i was asked return type of trylock() and how does it work?
    11) And describe how to set up a client and server connection? (what are the various function calls you use to set up a client-server?)
    The questions were not that tough but I dont know why, I was not able to do well. The interviewers were good and knew what they were looking for in candidates. Overall, it was a good experience for me.

Interview Questions
    • explain an interesting project which u have worked on and y u think it is interesting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2010.

They first ran through my resume and asked about my co-op job, then about the C++ projects I had mentioned. They asked me a few conceptual C++ questions. in particular, about copy constructors, data structures, checking for a number in an array of 1-100 (ordered and unordered).

Interview Questions
    • What happens when no copy constructor is defined, but is called.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

There was an email inform me that i passed first round of resume screen one week later after i submit it.
    There's a link in the email direct me to the test site. As i am not major in C.S, the problems consist of some basic mathematics, logical questions. You have 3 minutes time limit for each question. There's no "go back" function available on the test site. So make sure you do it correct, don;t rush to the next one.

Interview Questions
    • Count # of times character 's' appear in one paragraph   Answer Question
    • Books order on a shelf with some specific rules such as : Book A has to be in the middle of Book C and Book D. Which order listed below is not possible?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

I applied to the position on Bloomberg's careers website and got a call from them shortly. The first round was a telephonic interview and I spoke to two developers who had been working there for 3-4 years. The interview was about C++ and basic data structures and algorithms. The questions were pretty simple. I just messed up that interview and I didn't answer very simple questions that were shot at me. What they were looking for was proficiency in C and C++. Browsing through standard interview questions available online would probably be the best way to prepare. The interviewers seemed to be very nice and cordial. They said that the successful employees at Bloomberg were those who were flexible, dynamic and could get things done as quickly as possible rather than plan very well. Unfortunately, I messed up the interview although I consider myself a very good programmer and had the relevant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Given that plenty of memory is available, how would you design a program that would hold information of about 3000 employees in a company?   Answer Question
    • What is private inheritance? Why is it useful? Is it different from containment?   View Answer
    • What is the difference between C and C++?   Answer Question
    • What is the (C++) keyword mutable used for? Give an example.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

Resume submitted, immediate response with an "Application Acknowledgement" email confirmation. A few days later a one hour almost expert level UNIX/C/C++ telephone techincal interview was scheduled, one interviewer. In depth questions almost down to textbook definitions that I last saw in school. Technical questions which included Multithreading and general problem solving questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

Very friendly interviewers - interview basically consisted of brainteasers. Work environment seemed quite good.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember the details, but was asked a question regarding dropping eggs off high buildings to determine the height at which an egg would first break.   View Answers (5)

Got more exciting job offer in a preferred location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

I applied on their careers site. Got a call after a couple of day. I was asked to take a technical onilne test. I chose C++ as my language. The tests were a little bit simple. Than after that there is a phone interview. That is not so difficult. But the bad thing is that the interviewee is an indian. I have some problems in listening his English. I think that is the reason I failed in the phone interview.