Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.2

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The first stage of the interview process was a 90 minute telephone and web browser interview that requires you to discuss and solve live programming problems. I enjoyed the process and the interviewer asked fair questions in ascertaining my experience level. At the time I figured that with the technical interview being so thorough that this part of the process would be over and the onsite interview would focus more on the job itself. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

I received a message informing me that I could interview on-site and that it would take 3-4 hours of my time. Expecting it to be difficult, I spent about three days preparing for every eventuality beforehand and showed up confident. To my surprise, I was told that we'd be doing a technical test first. Having already completed a thorough technical test, this immediately put me in a frustrated state of mind but I figured I'd play along and answered all the questions. This was actually less difficult than the phone interview, but the worst aspect is that it seemed completely pointless. None of the questions actually related to the job in any way, and I don't see how they could have assessed my competency to do the job by asking me questions about minor language aspects like type casting. When they asked if I had any questions, I didn't really have any because I'd already done that on the phone. So I ended the interview by repeating some of those questions so that they didn't think I was disinterested.

Then it got worse. They couldn't find a team leader to interview me after I had sat waiting in the cafeteria for 20 minutes. Apparently they checked the person's calendar (it was empty) and he was nowhere to be found and probably wasn't in the building. I had expected it too because there were some nervous glances exchanged when I asked who would be interviewing me early on in the process. I asked that the manager phone me so that I could complete the interview and then went home. What disgusted me the most is that nobody in HR came to talk to me to explain the situation or apologise for what had happened (the technical guy had to do it). Three days later I received an automated email of rejection and no explanation... no phone call... nothing.

So in retrospect, all the effort I had put into preparing for this interview had been a complete waste. The 3-4 hour interview turned out to be one hour of questions of no relevance to the job. All I learnt was that Bloomberg has no respect for a candidates time, their entire interview process is suspect, and they're rude and unprofessional. A real shame given that I was actually excited at the prospect of working there. Now nothing could be further from the truth.

Interview Questions
  • The difficulty ranged from easy to medium, but I was concerned that on occasion they used methodologies that should never be used in modern practice. For instance, recasting class pointer types in live code. It gave me concern as to what their code might actually look like if they expect you to know such things.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

one phone interview and one on-site interview. Basic questions on C, C++ and Java. Questions included on JVM, difference between all the 3 languages, storage used for each type of variable etc. Gave to debug a program and asked further questions on it. gave a question no. of ways to climb n stairs with 1 or 2 hops.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

I got two technical phone interviews then one on-site interview. The question was not very difficult about linked-list. The second questsion was about implementing Merge Sort in C++ which I did not give a perfect answer. Overall, I thought I answered quite well for all the questions but few days later I got an email saying that I did not make it through.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2010.

I had an IKM online skills assessment test in C++ and I scored around 80% in that test.
    After that I was called for a telephone interview which lasted around 45 minutes. They touched C, C++, OOPS, Java (though I dont have any prior experience), .Net, Project planning etc. Overall it went very well and the interviewer was saying "excellent", "very good" even for some simple questions also. And then they have arranged for a face-to-face interview after 2 weeks. On the interview day when I was about to start I got a call from my recruiter saying that the interview is cancelled because the role was withdrawn. Well, I dont know why that happened, but I am very disappointed with the outcome.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2010.

On-line exam, thought it would mostly like be Java as thats what I selected in the application but the questions were mainly about C/C++. Extremely hard, coming out of university with a 1st class honours and I'd hardly heard of any of the concepts

Interview Questions
    • What type of search is this? Had an example of code (can't remember it off the top of my head)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2009.

The interview process consisted of several rounds: 1 online test, 1 phone interview, 2 interviews on-site. Most questions were difficult to say the least. The online test measured your C/C++ skills. The phone interview was OK. The onsite interviews were difficult, especially the final one with the head of R&D and HR.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2007.

Did an online skills test that consisted of STL, Polymorphism, constant, pointers and pointer to a constant, exception handling and namespaces, Usual standard C++ stuff. Anyone doing the test just needs to brush up on there C++, these kind of tests can be easy to pass and easy to fail.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me why do you think you are suitable for this job.   Answer Question