Bloomberg L.P.

111 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – Pleasant, easy, and streamlined process. Applied online through my university's online job portal, got an email to schedule a phone interview within a week. A few days after the phone interview, I got an email to schedule an on-site interview in NYC. Company paid to for flights to/from NYC, hotel reservations, and car service from airport to hotel. Arrived at Bloomberg at 8:30 the day of my interview. After serving us breakfast and giving a tour of the building, interviews started. 2 hour-long technical interviews with 2 interviewers each, mostly focused on choosing and combining correct algorithms and data structures to solve problems. Third interview was with a manager in R&D, also technical but more focused on problem-solving thought process (also may be somewhat focused on personality). Last interviewer was from HR, about 15 minutes long and purely informational.

Interview Question – Given a large collection of characters and a dictionary, find an efficient algorithm to return the 10 longest words you can form using the characters in the collection.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on the Website, then got a phone interview after two weeks. Asked two easy coding questions.
After three weeks invited to NY to take the onsite interview.
Two rounds technique interview, both talked about something on your resume and two coding questions (not hard)
Third round talks with a manager, design software about stocks. After this round, I was asked to leave :(
Onsite is not hard, prepare the basic algorithms and data structures well.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult. But I'm not sure about the third round's question (because this is the round I was asked to leave)
design a system about stocks: lots of stock info go into system, customers are waiting the other side for the stock system, how to design the system.
  Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – The interview process for Bloomberg is a long and detailed one. For me, there was an online aptitude test - the top 5% or so would then proceed to the phone interview stage.

There where three phone interviews, each becoming increasingly more complex. The typical C++ questions relating to polymorphism, inheritance, access types, etc. If you make it through these, then you will be invited to New York.

Here is where my impression of the process was soured. I'm a senior software engineer that was being interviewed with a view to working on some of the parallel processing development - something that I have a lot of experience with. I was however interviewed by two junior engineers that were asking college type questions way, way lower in complexity than anything in the phone interviews or aptitude test.

Interview Question – During the phone interviews questions were asked about the different access types and how they worked with inheritance - particularly 'protected' inheritance.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Interview Details – Tell me about yourself. projects in your resume. which language are you most familiar with. Basic C++ concept questions. One algorithm question, interviewer kept asking in deep, guid you to the answer. After that, the interviewer asked me if I have any questions. It took about an hour for the interview.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Interview Details – one phone interview then receive the onsite invitation. The phone interview lasts about 45 mins. Questions are focusing some general concept about C++ programming. e.g., constructor, copy constructor, operator overloading, deconstructor, memory allocation and deallocation, sizeof etc. Then, it moves to multithread programming, e.g. synchronization, critical section, semaphore etc.

Interview Question – compliler optimization of the code   Answer Question

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – phone interview.
1. difference between const char * and char * const
2. rotate string by k elements to the right in place.
3. give a situation that can cause deadlock, how to solve this

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and then got email from HR to schedule Telephonic interview

Interview Question – Generic template implementation for Stack program in C++ with more and more restrictions added on the fly. lot of questions to dynamic memory allocation and design of algorithms..

Interviewer tried to use some fee online cheap website to share for collaborative coding assessment..

They say they expect basic proficiency with programming and they provide good training but ideally they want programming gurus...
  View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – were a panel of two people and asked basic c and some logical quesitions as i was a non computer science major. was not very difficult.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – They were pretty fast. I applied some time in late January- early February and the responded within the next week. Got to the phone interview, which took about an hour. some of the questions were to design some simple algorithms, ie given a sequence of numbers, print the non-duplicated elements. they also kept asking about the time and space efficiency of the implementation and tried to have you come up with better ones.

Interview Question – Given a sequence of numbers, is it possible to recover the original tree structure of the array before it became an array using inprder traversal? what about preorder traversal?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – Got a on-campus interview by submitting resume on school's site

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!