Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2015
Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Two rounds, each with two people. 1st was about data structures and algorithms, 2nd was also focusing on the same thing with a design orientation. Interviewers were quite friendly, they gave some hints from time to time.

Interview Questions

• 1) Find the point of intersection of two linked lists 2)How would you design a text editor 3) Create a balanced binary search tree from a sorted array of integers   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was initially under the impression I was interviewing for a job, but Bloomberg's interview experience was more like a bad version of 'Shark Tank' meets 'The Apprentice'. The unifying factor between both being the utter lack of respect shown toward their candidates.

My phone interviewer flat-out forgot my interview, and even when we rescheduled to a week later, he was 15 minutes late and confrontational about it. We coded some simple questions on HackerRank, that I will go over in the next section. I received an in-house interview invitation the next day.

When we visited on-site, the R&D point of contact was more interested in talking to the candidates about the horsehoe shape of the building and the significance of the Koi fish in the cafeteria, than giving us ANY useful information about our interview process. NONE whatsoever. From what I could glean from other interviewees and Glassdoor, Bloomberg has a four-stage interview. If you fail any of these interviews (the reasons, however intangible, the interviewers WILL NOT tell you) you are escorted out.

Out.

When you say out, you mean to the waiting area, right? Where the recruiter informs you of next steps? Nope. You're escorted through the elevators, to the lobby and unceremoniously kicked out. Now, I've given a ton of interviews and I have another offer, so I know what a tech interview should be like. But this sheer lack of respect is what got to me. Bloomberg seems to think that because college grads are a dime a dozen, it's alright to afford us ZERO respect.

And thank you for the experience, you Fortune 500 megacorp, but I think we deserve better.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview:

1. Maximum sum subarray problem. Given an array of stock prices, how will you maximize your profit.
      2. Convert an roman numeral to an integer.

On-Site:

1. Find the longest path in a binary tree. It doesn't need to originate in the root, it could even pass through the root.

2. I don't think the interviewer understood his question himself: Imagine a singly-linked list in the shape of the number 3, with all the heads meeting and eventually pointing to null. If you're given the three heads in any other, how will you find out the lowest head?

3. I'm thinking of a number. Write a function to guess it. Complexity.

4. Differences between C++/Java.

5. Given the definition of an Iterator, define a prime iterator.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

Interview

There are 4 rounds in total. The first two were technical rounds. The third round was with team manager, I guess and last round was with HR. The technical rounds were 2-1. I liked the whole interview process. There were many instances, where I got, but interviews helped me out.

Interview Questions

• priority queue implementation
      print a matrix in some specified in manner
      Linked list questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Firstly, go through your resume and ask some questions. The guy is interested in C++ but I didn't use it. He asked me to introduce one of my project to him. Because most of my projects are about algorithms, not focus on application, so he seems not so interesting. And after ten minutes, we go through to coding part

Interview Questions

• Given two linked lists, decide whether they merge or not   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

the phone interview is mainly about C++, JAVA, and code problems. They focus more on c++, the questions are not hard, but they ask the question very detailed. for example, they ask the virtual functions very detailed, how is the vtbl implemented, and there are often follow up questions. one tricky is that the previous questions is helpful to solve the following questions.

Interview Questions

• basic concept about C++, like virtual functions, difference between java and c++. data structures and algorithms, like quick sort partition, find median element of an unsorted array.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

Interview

Met with a recruiter during career fair and submitted my resume. Got an email two weeks later to schedule an on telephonic interview. I then scheduled a telephonic interview in which I will be given a link to HackerRankX a code pair website where the interviewer can share the screen with me . It contains a scratch pad an a coding environment. I was given a question on LinkedList. It was flattening a 2D Linked list. The interviewer in the beginning of the interviewer dived into my resume . I mentioned a project on Visual C++ in my resume. He asked me to explain the project . He then asked me the approach for the problem . I fumbled for a bit and gave him the algorithm . He asked me to go ahead and code the algorithm which I mentioned. He was more keen on the edge cases. He just asked me to write the function which takes head as an input parameter. I solved the question in like 20 min and in the rest of the time he explained me the nature of the work at Bloomberg and gave me a chance to ask any questions. Over all the interview went good. Next day I got a mail stating a reject. They did not mention any specific reason for the reject

Interview Questions

• Flatten a 2D linkedList . A node contains 3 parameters namely, data , pointer to left, pointer to down . The aim of the function is to flatten the linkedlist.

Ex: 1-->2-->4
                    V

Answer is 1-->2-->3-->4

Ex: 1 --> 2--> 3--> 4
                     5-->6-->7
                     | |
                     8 9

Answer is 1-->2->5 -> 8 -> 6->9 ->7-> 3-> 4

He asked me to make the same linkedlist flatten not to create a new LinkedList or print the elements

2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Phone interview then on site interview. Each about an hour. In the phone interview they asked some simple programming questions mostly about object oriented programming. Also I was asked to explain data structures of my code. There two guys for the on site interview. One of them wasn't very nice and seemed to be in a hurry!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview and it lasted about an hour. There was no behavioral questions. First, they asked about your background and then came the technical part. Two technical questions were asked. Then they would give you some time to ask questions about Bloomberg.

Interview Questions

• Determine whether the first and the last digits of a given number are same. Like 767, 37743.
      Do a deep copy of a linked list with a random pointer, which can point to anywhere, other nodes, itself or even NULL.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Met with a recruiter during career fair and submitted my resume. Got an email two weeks later to schedule an on campus interview. The interview is with two engineers, quick question about background and experience then dived right into technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to check whether an integer is a palindrome without using arrays.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Got an interview through a career fair held at my college. Had the interview in school with 2 software engineers. The interview as an hour long. They asked a few fit questions, like why I was interested in Bloomberg, what I would be interested in working in, etc. for maybe 5 minutes. The rest of the time was devoted to technical questions.

I was asked the following questions:
    1) Find second largest number in array of ints
    2) Fibonacci numbers. Asked for optimization to recursive solution
    3) Find height of tree
    4) Find longest path in tree

Interview Questions

• Find the height of a tree, and then find the longest path in a tree.   3 Answers