Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.2

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview then on site interview. Each about an hour. In the phone interview they asked some simple programming questions mostly about object oriented programming. Also I was asked to explain data structures of my code. There two guys for the on site interview. One of them wasn't very nice and seemed to be in a hurry!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

It was an on-campus interview and it lasted about an hour. There was no behavioral questions. First, they asked about your background and then came the technical part. Two technical questions were asked. Then they would give you some time to ask questions about Bloomberg.

Interview Questions
    • Determine whether the first and the last digits of a given number are same. Like 767, 37743.
      Do a deep copy of a linked list with a random pointer, which can point to anywhere, other nodes, itself or even NULL.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Met with a recruiter during career fair and submitted my resume. Got an email two weeks later to schedule an on campus interview. The interview is with two engineers, quick question about background and experience then dived right into technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to check whether an integer is a palindrome without using arrays.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Got an interview through a career fair held at my college. Had the interview in school with 2 software engineers. The interview as an hour long. They asked a few fit questions, like why I was interested in Bloomberg, what I would be interested in working in, etc. for maybe 5 minutes. The rest of the time was devoted to technical questions.

I was asked the following questions:
    1) Find second largest number in array of ints
    2) Fibonacci numbers. Asked for optimization to recursive solution
    3) Find height of tree
    4) Find longest path in tree

Interview Questions
    • Find the height of a tree, and then find the longest path in a tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

In phone interview, the guy was really interested in my project, and we talked about it for at least half of the interview. Then he asked me to code an algorithm problem on hackrack.com, but he only eye-balled, did not verify my solution with test cases.

Then HR contacted with me for an onsite at NYC HQ. They reimbursed me with $75 gift card as I lived close to NYC and did not need flight.

I went through 3 rounds in onsite interview. Rumors said there were 4 rounds in total, they would only give you an offer it you made through all of them. So I did not get the offer.

1st round: 2 engineers, asked 2 questions. I was asked to write my solutions on a notepad with a pencil. First is a traversal problem, and second was an implementation problem.

2nd round: 2 engineers, asked 2 questions. First was a cache problem, and second was a distributed problem.

3rd round: 2 managers, asked 1 technical question about data structure. They asked me several behavior problems, such as why bloomberg, what do you see yourself in 5 years, etc. I did not prepare much for this kind of questions, so I kinda stumbled on them.

Between 2 rounds I waited in the room for about 10-20 min for the next round. After 3rd round, a HR came and guided me out.

Engineers were pretty nice, they provided hints when I was stuck, and guided me to right direction. Managers in 3rd round were more intense, maybe purposefully. They kept asking questions, and remained silent when I was stuck.

Overall, it was a fine interview.

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online, got an email to schedule a phone interview.
    My interview got rescheduled on the same day of the interview.
    Got a reject 3 business days after the interview.
    The interviewer seemed confused himself.
    There something going on in the background near him, and I asked him to repeat the question many times.

First question was standard C and related to pointers.
    eg: &a[0] means what etc.

Second question was debugging a C code- which I screwed up

The third question was their standard question: find the longest increasing subsequence, which my interviewer misinterpreted for finding the longest contiguous increasing subsequence.
    Finally after all this confusion, he asked me to explain the logic and time complexity.
    Then he gave me 10 minutes to write down my code, and grilled me regarding memory leaks and checking whether the vector is empty etc...

Overall a bad interview experience..............

Software Engineer Interview

They flew me out for a on site tech interview. Went through 3 technical rounds on algorithms, data structures, puzzles, etc. One extra round with HR about personality. Pretty solid overall and the right difficulty. Seemed like good people work there with little BS involved. Hoping to get the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

I turned my resume in after answering a few questions at my career fair. After a couple of months, I got contacted back for a phone screen. The phone screen consisted of in-depth questions about hash tables and other algorithm/data structure stuff. I was then asked to code a way to find all the prime factors of a number through their code-sharing site called Hackify (or something similar).

A few days afterwards, I got contacted for an in-house interview. The office was very nice. They took you on a tour and then sent each candidate off to their respective interviewer. There were four rounds of interviews total: 2 technical rounds, 1 manager round (behavior+technical), and 1 HR round (behavior). The questions were just normal algorithm/data structure questions that you can find in interview preparation books. Be sure not to mess up too badly. I saw other candidates being asked to leave early.

Got an offer two days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Say that you have an infinite amount of sorted data coming in, implement a way to find a specific time stamp.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online. Heard back two days later asking to schedule phone interview to talk and display code on HackerRank. Mostly technical questions, questions/concepts included polymorphism, rotating arrays and sorting names based on last names. Interviewer was nice and friendly, unfortunately couldn't understand some questions because of my weak phone signal.

Interview Questions
    • Rotate array by n elements.

Sort names based on last name.

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

First passed a phone interview then went onsite. The phone interview was typical, some questions about hash tables and trees. For the onsite one, first we had a little tour around the company. Then, there were two technical rounds, didn't manage to pass those. My recommendation is to grab some snacks before the interview because there is no lunch provided.

Interview Questions
    • Spent a lot of time trying to explain the complexity of building a priority queue is O(n) but the interviewer seemed not buying it.   View Answer