Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

114 interviews

3.3

114 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2011.

1 round phone interview followed by onsite with 7 people. The whole process was quite efficient. I was contacted the same day by the recruiter after phone interview to arrange onsite.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

The initial phone interview was conducted by someone from HR, covered school/project experience, a basic CS question (difference between C and Java), language skills and standard personal questions (what I do outside of school, why I chose CS). I received an email about a week later, informing me I was selected for the in-person second round interview in NYC.

When asked, I stated that my preference was to fly out the day before my interview, then fly home the the next night, after my interview was complete. However, when I got my itinerary, I was booked to fly out at 5am, the day of my interview, which put my arrival about an hour before it was to start. This seemed to be the experience of all of the other interviewees, so I would expect this is standard practice.

I made it just in time, and was given a tour of their gorgeous office building, told of all the perks employees enjoy, the usual deal. When I got to the interview itself, there were two engineers who asked me in more detail about my coding experience, favorite projects and the like. When I stated my lack of experience with C (something I had made clear in my first interview), they seemed surprised I had made it to the second round, because nearly their entire code base is in C.

They moved on to the coding question: How can you efficiently detect whether two singly-linked lists converge, and if they do, how do you identify at which node? They were okay with using pseudocode syntax, but they wanted a great deal of explanation of my thought process along the way.

My biggest mistake was just not practicing coding in front of someone to practice beforehand - I was nervous, made a few mistakes, and missed the obvious efficient solution until they gave me a big hint.

Interview Questions
    • How can you efficiently detect whether two linked lists converged? If they do, how do you identify at which node this occurs?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

I applied on line and was contacted very soon by email. Then I was set up a phone screen interview. They waited for me about a month, which was so nice. Then during the phone interview, the people I was talking to was so nice, he guided me through to solve the coding problem step by step. I really appreciate this opportunity, because it helped me a lot for my future interviews.

Software Engineering Interview

Pleasant, easy, and streamlined process. Applied online through my university's online job portal, got an email to schedule a phone interview within a week. A few days after the phone interview, I got an email to schedule an on-site interview in NYC. Company paid to for flights to/from NYC, hotel reservations, and car service from airport to hotel. Arrived at Bloomberg at 8:30 the day of my interview. After serving us breakfast and giving a tour of the building, interviews started. 2 hour-long technical interviews with 2 interviewers each, mostly focused on choosing and combining correct algorithms and data structures to solve problems. Third interview was with a manager in R&D, also technical but more focused on problem-solving thought process (also may be somewhat focused on personality). Last interviewer was from HR, about 15 minutes long and purely informational.

Interview Questions
    • Given a large collection of characters and a dictionary, find an efficient algorithm to return the 10 longest words you can form using the characters in the collection.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Applied on the Website, then got a phone interview after two weeks. Asked two easy coding questions.
    After three weeks invited to NY to take the onsite interview.
    Two rounds technique interview, both talked about something on your resume and two coding questions (not hard)
    Third round talks with a manager, design software about stocks. After this round, I was asked to leave :(
    Onsite is not hard, prepare the basic algorithms and data structures well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult. But I'm not sure about the third round's question (because this is the round I was asked to leave)
      design a system about stocks: lots of stock info go into system, customers are waiting the other side for the stock system, how to design the system.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

The interview process for Bloomberg is a long and detailed one. For me, there was an online aptitude test - the top 5% or so would then proceed to the phone interview stage.

There where three phone interviews, each becoming increasingly more complex. The typical C++ questions relating to polymorphism, inheritance, access types, etc. If you make it through these, then you will be invited to New York.

Here is where my impression of the process was soured. I'm a senior software engineer that was being interviewed with a view to working on some of the parallel processing development - something that I have a lot of experience with. I was however interviewed by two junior engineers that were asking college type questions way, way lower in complexity than anything in the phone interviews or aptitude test.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone interviews questions were asked about the different access types and how they worked with inheritance - particularly 'protected' inheritance.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Tell me about yourself. projects in your resume. which language are you most familiar with. Basic C++ concept questions. One algorithm question, interviewer kept asking in deep, guid you to the answer. After that, the interviewer asked me if I have any questions. It took about an hour for the interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

one phone interview then receive the onsite invitation. The phone interview lasts about 45 mins. Questions are focusing some general concept about C++ programming. e.g., constructor, copy constructor, operator overloading, deconstructor, memory allocation and deallocation, sizeof etc. Then, it moves to multithread programming, e.g. synchronization, critical section, semaphore etc.

phone interview.
    1. difference between const char * and char * const
    2. rotate string by k elements to the right in place.
    3. give a situation that can cause deadlock, how to solve this

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Applied online and then got email from HR to schedule Telephonic interview

Interview Questions
    • Generic template implementation for Stack program in C++ with more and more restrictions added on the fly. lot of questions to dynamic memory allocation and design of algorithms..

Interviewer tried to use some fee online cheap website to share for collaborative coding assessment..

They say they expect basic proficiency with programming and they provide good training but ideally they want programming gurus...
        View Answer

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!