Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

A significant portion of my interview was spent with the interviewer asking me about a trading system I had built, including details about the underlying algorithm and process. The details of his inquiries were inappropriate and were not relevant to the position I was applying for. Be very careful if you come to them with a good idea or something you have developed on your own.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

At first, the staff in campus fair asks me to drop resume on their website, and I do so. After few days comes the phone Interview, but I am rejected.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why their company. 2. What different between JAVA and C++(cuz I said I use JAVA), describe them. 3. Two sum and little modification on it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

You go through four cycles. Two technical interviews with interviewers who seem to have been pulled away from their desks by surprise. Then you go on to interview with a director or manager for the team you applied to. Afterwards, you'll finish off the interview process with an interview with HR. If you do not make it through at least three rounds, expect a rejection or continuation of your interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked technical questions related to data structures and algorithms. Example: Maximum subarray problem involving gas stations.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online. Got call from recruiting coordinator to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was completely technical.Total Time 45 mins. Just 5 mins to learn about you and to gauge your background. Then a programming question for which i had to write the code in Javascript( I chose it !) on HackerRank's code-Pair. Overall, i would say the interview was of average difficulty. I was able to solve the question( i was on right track) but due to time constraint and interview jitters just was unable to get my code to run. The interviewer was very helpful and the interview as a whole was a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you sort the list of version numbers. For eg: You are given a list A as ["1.1","1.1.5","12.0","1.23","12.3"]. Now sort this ?   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The whole process was fast. My recruiter contacted me to get me a phone interview one week after I applied on their website. My phone interview was on Friday, and the next Monday I got an invitation for an onsite interview in New York. Onsite interview was two-round technical. If you do well in them, you'll get two more. Overall, I had a good experience with Bloomberg, my interviewers were friendly, the hotel they booked for me was nice, and they gave me enough money to take care of the transportation.

Interview Questions

• Reverse words in a sentence (a char[]) without using additional space. eg. "Hello there children" -> "children there Hello"   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Received phone interview request within 3 weeks. On the phone I was asked two technical questions. *First one is to find the loop in a linked-list. *Second one was a bit different, my interviewer asked me to consider a function which is shaped as an S-curve in x-y plane which is always increasing. Then he asked me to find the corresponding x value of a given y value. (the function was a black-box function, I didn't know what it does). He was so helpful and he helped me in both of the questions to find the correct answers. After the phone interview I got the invitation of in-house interview within 3 days. I went to Bloomberg tower which was quite fascinating(the view from 29th floor etc.). In the interview process, I only survived two rounds. In the first round there were three people. Two of them were interviewers and one was monitoring the interview process. The questions; 1-) How to maximize the profit from tomorrow's stock information. I was allowed to do two transactions, the first one was buying and the second one was selling. I needed to find the best possible buy point and sell point to maximize my profit. 2-) In a string containing paranthesis, curly brackets, brackets, how to control if the string is valid( every opened paranthesis, curly brackets and brackets must be closed before string is ended) - Correct answer was to put special characters in a stack and then check them. The questions were not that hard but I failed to give the answers within 45 minutes and my interviewers helped me to go through the solution. In the second round there was only one interviewer (most probably the project manager) asked me some basic questions at first. First from my resume and then difference between list and vector. The push_back function's complexity in vector. Then he moved on the real question; 1-) add sibling pointer to a complete binary search tree. In every level of the tree, one-right node would be the sibling of the current node. The rightmost node's sibling pointer of each level should be set to NULL. Here is an example; 5 3 7 2 4 6 8 In this BST, 7 is the sibling of 3. 4 is the sibling of 2. 6 is the sibling of 4 etc. 5,7 and 8 has sibling pointer of NULL. He helped me to find the correct answer but I failed to write the code for it within 45 minutes. After this interview, he escort me to the entrance of the building and told me I will receive the answer within few days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

First passed the phone interview then got an opportunity for on-site. Only got 2 rounds of the on-site interview. I should get negative feedback at the first round and the 2nd one was just a causal talk. For coding problems, they expected bug-free code. So it is very important to practice well. Only knowing the basic idea is not enough.

Interview Questions

• Phone: remove duplicated words from a string. Onsite: 1) how to avoid dead-lock for multithread programming. 2)How to get max profit during stock transaction. 3) Overriding operator for complex number calculating (C++).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Two rounds, each with two people. 1st was about data structures and algorithms, 2nd was also focusing on the same thing with a design orientation. Interviewers were quite friendly, they gave some hints from time to time.

Interview Questions

• 1) Find the point of intersection of two linked lists 2)How would you design a text editor 3) Create a balanced binary search tree from a sorted array of integers   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got a phone interview screening set up after a month, but the interviewer was unable to make it at that day. I wasn't informed of this until after the time of interview, and asking the HR person. The process was a bit disorganized. After a few weeks, I was contacted by another HR recruit and we scheduled another phone interview. This time it went through. During the interview, we discussed a little about the resume, then went onto an online coding platform, and did some coding work. I was required to write the code and then describe my code to the interviewer, including what will happen on the edge cases. Coding is more to get to see if you know the language (C/C++) well, rather than some tricky algorithm questions. (focused on pointer / reference / type conversion) A week later, I got scheduled to their headquarter in NYC for onsite. Four rounds of interview in total (45mins - 1hour each), starting from 11:15 and ended early in the afternoon. Two technical rounds, two engineers asked some coding questions. You are supposed to write on a small writing pad. The questions are more focused on data structure. The interviewers will start the question easy, but then add restrictions to make it more difficult, to see your knowledge base. Then it's the meeting with the manager, who was very nice. He asked a few behavior questions, but his intention was more to introduce the company culture and management to you, and see if you fit to each other. Final round was with an HR lady, asking about why you want to work for Bloomberg and your course work, your schedule and availability, your other offers, etc. Overall, the scheduling of interview is long and drawn out. The response from HR sometimes gets delayed. The interviews themselves are smooth and quite enjoyable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied Online. First round was telephonic interview. Basic data structures were asked. Difference in java, c n c++ were asked as i had mentioned about three languages on my resume. The interviewer was very supportive. Next rounds were onsite. First, they will show you the company completely. Next, a couple of junior engineers will conduct first round. It was easy. They asked some basics again. Next round, a couple of senior engineers conducted the interview. They were bit arrogant. They confused me with small deletion of node in a linked list. you have to think loud!!!!! Next was a manager round. It was cooool..

Interview Questions

• data structure to implement phone directory. implement magic number game all other glass door ques be strong in data structures   Answer Question