Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Average Difficulty
113 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

Interview Details – I had a very negative experience with these recruiters. They called me to the side as I was walking by at a campus job fair, and started asking me technical questions before even asking for my name or resume. After a few, they put me down for an interview. The recruiters then showed up 30 minutes late to the interview, and the actual questions themselves were a nightmare. They asked me stuff that just wasn't feasible to write as code for an interview question, and I somehow made it through the first round and had to come back the next day. They were late once again, and the process repeated. They seemed to get extremely frustrated when I couldn't write the implementation to an entire threadpool in C on the spot. That's not even an exaggeration, it was the first question they asked me.

Software Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by some staffing firm Bloomberg uses to source in candidates. This particular time, I managed to get a phone screen by the STAFFING FIRM.

They basically hit me with all sorts of esoteric questions about C/C++. Stuff no one really cares about in day-to-day work programming activities.

So I work on their initial quiz (which took a day). Then the phone screener hits me with another programming question about reversing a C-string. So I wrote my standard answer, which is pretty efficient anyway. then this guy asks me how to reverse the string in one pass, and gives me 24 hrs to think about it.

So after 24 hrs, they call me back. I told them what is the end-goal to this, and what comes next if I succeed? They said more tricky questions by THEM. If I pass that, THEN I get to talk to Bloomberg. I told them their question wasn't worth the trouble, and I'll pass on them. They gave me some kinda lip about college students being able to solve their pet question in short order. So I got some good ole New Jersey/New York attitude for my efforts!

Basically, I now ignore these bozos whenever they come knocking..you should too!

Interview Question – How to reverse a C-string, in ONE pass!   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2011.

Interview Details – Started with an online C/C++ (BrainBench) test which I had no problem with, despite it was quite difficult. I was notified I'd made it through to the next round(telephone interview). In the interview I was asked about very specific C++ questions, and Unix platform during about 1 hour. A few days later I received and email which said they wasn't going to make an offer.

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2008.

Interview Details – Started with a good phone screen from one of the lead developers. Likable guy - good interview, went well. Subsequently invited for in-person. Building is very modern - glass walls, fishtanks, open space. Interview room itself was tiny. Basically, a little glass closet. Fine for 2 people, but somewhat awkward for me and the 5 or so people squeezed in with me. The technical interviews are pretty good - by no means easy. The manager himself was very tough - kind of confrontational in his approach. Although turned off by this, I ended up accepting a long term contract assignment. Its a good company to work for. Summer Party is great. When you quit BLP as an employee you can -never- return. At least that was the policy for years (this may have changed).

Interview Question – A deep dive into one of you rrecent design efforts. Basically tearing it apart, and making you defend it was the most difficult question.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2009.

Interview Details – Random stuff. Off the wall. Extreme irrelevant technical detail. It's mostly about throwing you off guard and pushing you into unfamiliar territory, to test your limits. That's because you have to tolerate being broken repeatedly in order to survive the work environment. You are expected to grovel without showing it, without making it obvious to anyone that grovelling is occurring. This is an important qualification for working at Bloomberg, since it is what you will be doing most of the time.

Interview Questions

• Suppose that you had to rebuild Times Square while it was occupied, replacing all of the materials. How would you do it? What problems would be encountered using this method?   Answer Question
  • Implement a heap sort in C++ STL.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No amount of money is large enough. Ask yourself, am I willing to die for this company? If they raise you enough to answer yes, take the job.

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2010.

Interview Details – Took a 45 min. phone interview for a C/C++ developer position. Questions were mostly directed at language concepts such as "what is a static in c/c++", "what is a virtual function", " what is the difference between malloc and new". I seemd to do ok on those. There were also some SQL questions and database design questions which is odd because I don't really have that in my background. I'm a Linux kernel develper. Since I have an EE background and not CS I ran into trouble with the algorithmic part of the interview. I really don't have any experience designing hashing/sorting functions for large amounts of data. Obviously a wrong fit for this position. I was expecting something more along the lines of Unix/TCP/UDP/IP type questions. Interview never went there.

Interview Questions

• Design a database to hold authors, books, and multiple authors per book. What would the tables look like.   Answer Question
  • Design a sorting algorithm and/or data structure to find all the data members from one array that exist in another array. What would be the time complexity of a large data set or a small data set.   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview Details – It was a very awkward phone interview. I was interviewed by two men at once. They asked very technical questions about the difference in the way you code things. They also asked a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Question – What exactly do you know about the software development teak at Bloomberg?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2010.

Interview Details – Bloomberg came to our school during our career fair. The whole interview process will require 3 days. Each day lasting about 30mins. The first two days they will give you riddles or a problem that you have to solve using a language you know or in C. The last interview is a HR interview.

The first 2 interviews will be stressful, they are simulating the work conditions in the company. The last interview will be less stressful.

Interview Question – There are 8 balls. 7 of them are of the same weight. 1 ball is heavier than all the others. You are only given a basic balancing scale. Find out which ball is the heaviest one using the least number of comparisons.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – They were pretty fast. I applied some time in late January- early February and the responded within the next week. Got to the phone interview, which took about an hour. some of the questions were to design some simple algorithms, ie given a sequence of numbers, print the non-duplicated elements. they also kept asking about the time and space efficiency of the implementation and tried to have you come up with better ones.

Interview Question – Given a sequence of numbers, is it possible to recover the original tree structure of the array before it became an array using inprder traversal? what about preorder traversal?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2009.

Interview Details – The interviewer asked me basic questions about Unix commands, C questions, some data structure questions like what data structure you would use to build something. Although at that time i was quite satisfied with my interview i was eventually rejected.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!