Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.3

114 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2009.

Random stuff. Off the wall. Extreme irrelevant technical detail. It's mostly about throwing you off guard and pushing you into unfamiliar territory, to test your limits. That's because you have to tolerate being broken repeatedly in order to survive the work environment. You are expected to grovel without showing it, without making it obvious to anyone that grovelling is occurring. This is an important qualification for working at Bloomberg, since it is what you will be doing most of the time.

Interview Questions
  • Suppose that you had to rebuild Times Square while it was occupied, replacing all of the materials. How would you do it? What problems would be encountered using this method?   Answer Question
  • Implement a heap sort in C++ STL.   Answer Question
No amount of money is large enough. Ask yourself, am I willing to die for this company? If they raise you enough to answer yes, take the job.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2008.

Started with a good phone screen from one of the lead developers. Likable guy - good interview, went well. Subsequently invited for in-person. Building is very modern - glass walls, fishtanks, open space. Interview room itself was tiny. Basically, a little glass closet. Fine for 2 people, but somewhat awkward for me and the 5 or so people squeezed in with me. The technical interviews are pretty good - by no means easy. The manager himself was very tough - kind of confrontational in his approach. Although turned off by this, I ended up accepting a long term contract assignment. Its a good company to work for. Summer Party is great. When you quit BLP as an employee you can -never- return. At least that was the policy for years (this may have changed).

Interview Questions
    • A deep dive into one of you rrecent design efforts. Basically tearing it apart, and making you defend it was the most difficult question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2010.

I was initially contacted by some staffing firm Bloomberg uses to source in candidates. This particular time, I managed to get a phone screen by the STAFFING FIRM.

They basically hit me with all sorts of esoteric questions about C/C++. Stuff no one really cares about in day-to-day work programming activities.

So I work on their initial quiz (which took a day). Then the phone screener hits me with another programming question about reversing a C-string. So I wrote my standard answer, which is pretty efficient anyway. then this guy asks me how to reverse the string in one pass, and gives me 24 hrs to think about it.

So after 24 hrs, they call me back. I told them what is the end-goal to this, and what comes next if I succeed? They said more tricky questions by THEM. If I pass that, THEN I get to talk to Bloomberg. I told them their question wasn't worth the trouble, and I'll pass on them. They gave me some kinda lip about college students being able to solve their pet question in short order. So I got some good ole New Jersey/New York attitude for my efforts!

Basically, I now ignore these bozos whenever they come knocking..you should too!

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2011.

Started with an online C/C++ (BrainBench) test which I had no problem with, despite it was quite difficult. I was notified I'd made it through to the next round(telephone interview). In the interview I was asked about very specific C++ questions, and Unix platform during about 1 hour. A few days later I received and email which said they wasn't going to make an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

I had a very negative experience with these recruiters. They called me to the side as I was walking by at a campus job fair, and started asking me technical questions before even asking for my name or resume. After a few, they put me down for an interview. The recruiters then showed up 30 minutes late to the interview, and the actual questions themselves were a nightmare. They asked me stuff that just wasn't feasible to write as code for an interview question, and I somehow made it through the first round and had to come back the next day. They were late once again, and the process repeated. They seemed to get extremely frustrated when I couldn't write the implementation to an entire threadpool in C on the spot. That's not even an exaggeration, it was the first question they asked me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Had a phone interview set up by a recruiter. Worst interviewer I have ever experienced. Asked really basic questions like, 'What is a class?', and 'What is polymorphism?' and if I didn't give him the exact answer that he wanted in less then 10 words he would get haughty and short with me. I should have ended the interview myself he was so arrogant and ignorant. Will rate the interview as difficult because knowing the canned response to his basic questions was impossible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2008.

Very technical with questions on algorithms, design, data structures.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, take it or leave it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2012.

I had technical interview through phone.

Interview Questions
    • How to start a code before main starts?
      Can we use auto_ptr for stl-containers?
      auto_ptr ownership? if we assign b = a, here a and b are auto_ptrs
      what is the complexity of vectors/maps?
      what is the complexity of troubleshooting vectors?
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

Got a mail saying resume selected. You can take c, C++ or java online test. If you clear that you will be called for interview

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2011.

I applied to the company through my school's center for career opportunities. After applying, I received an email saying that I had been chosen to interview and that I needed to select a time for my Interview. I selected a time for the upcoming week. The interview was set up in my school's job interview room and consisted of me being interviewed by two developers for the company. The interview was a straight skills test and did not involve any behavioral interview questions. The developers were very curt and cold to me throughout the interview. I was not asked anything other then technical data structure and algorithm questions. Many of the questions were worded strangely, so when I asked for further clarification I was met with the interviewers glancing at me disapprovingly and then the question was repeated back to me verbatim. Once they were finished with asking questions, I was asked if I had any further questions. I asked a few questions then the interviewers quickly ended the interview. Overall I absolutely hated the interview. The developers were cold and terse and definitely not good choices for interviewing for college internships. They cared more about the answers they wanted to hear and not better answers.

Interview Questions
    • What are the differences between a stack and a heap, name the different methods that a stack is comprised of, and code a basic algorithm for the stack's method.   View Answer

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!