Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Nov 19, 2014

3.2

138 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I applied online and got contacted after 2 weeks by a recruiter. We set up a 45 minutes technical interview. The interviewer was very nice and i liked the fact that we chatted a bit in the beginning of the interview (he asked questions from my resume). He also asked me what do i know about Bloomberg and then he described the company a bit himself.
I think they value the knowledge of C++/javascript a lot, because i told him i don't really know C++ and that i have worked a lot in Java, so he decided to interview me in C. The questions were: reverse a string in-place in C, what is the difference between x++ and ++x, which one is faster, write the functions for these. Then he gave me some C++ code and asked me: if i define absolutely no method for a class, what does the compiler build by default, then if i have a third-party api call in my constructor and this method throws an exception which i don't catch, what happens + a few other questions i don't remember any more. He ended the interview by writing some C code: there was a string which was hard-coded and he asked me what will different values show (like *string, or *(string + 4), string, &string and so on) and what is their type (char / char* / char** and so on).
My impression was that i answered pretty okay to most of his questions, but not all of them and i was sure i won't get an offer. Which, yep, turned out to be true :)

Interview Questions
  • Questions about C++ stuff. They weren't unexpected, but they were difficult for me.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied through a university career fair. Got a call for on campus interview.
    There were 2 rounds, 1 hour each. 1st round had 2 programming questions both of medium difficulty and 2nd round was more into theory: DBMS, OS, design patterns, choice of data structures.
    After that, got a call for On site interviews. There were 2 rounds at their office.
    1 was an HR round and 1 was with a senior manager. He asked me about my experience and gave a system design question.
    I felt that the manager was somewhat rude.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied on Campus , got a call for on campus. Interview went very well but got rejected. No idea why. Just one round and they said no employment where as on campus they were asking me for another round until the office said they can do just one. I heard from them that they would call back.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I met with Bloomberg at the college career fair. I spoke to one of the recruiters who asked me about my experiences, education etc. He then made up a question on the spot about a robot navigating through a room (based on my experience with programming the Roomba), and asked me to come up with an algorithm. Open ended, he liked my answer and gave me an interview for the following week.

In the interview for the first round, I was interviewed by two of Bloombergs engineers who asked basic logic based questions that used the principles of counting, sorting, searching etc. At the end of the interview they told me that they were impressed with my performance and wanted me to interview again the next day.

The next day my interviewer asked me an open ended question on how I would implement a text editor. I gave the best shot I could but I did not clear that round.

Interview Questions
    • The one regarding implementing a text editor.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied for the position directly on the Bloomberg Careers site. Took approx. a month before contacted by a recruiter to schedule a technical phone interview.

First technical phone interview two senior developers, took about 1 hour. Various standard questions from the C++ language (pointers, constructors, destructors, exception handling, multi-threading). 3 small coding puzzles on hackerrank. At the end some time to ask my questions.
    (hint: practice on hackerrank before the interview, it really helped to solve the interview questions fast enough, and being familiar with the interface is an advantage)

Next week second on-site interview. Took about 3 hours, conducted by the team leader and a senior developer. First some chat about the position, my CV and experience, tasks of the team etc. Then another round of C++ questions, also some coding on computer (simple tasks). Then whiteboard design task - didn't go entirely well at the beginning, as I didn't know what they actually want to see, at the end wrote some UML interface classes which would be used to handle the task.

After a week third short interview with the director of the particular office (30 min), again speaking about motivation, why Bloomberg, what do I expect from the position etc.

Interview Questions
    • Merge two equally sized integer arrays, the first one having the capacity to accommodate the result.   View Answer
    • Iterate through std::map and remove items with the specific value.   View Answers (3)
    The offered compensation was quite generous and what I originally asked for, no further negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

1 technical phone interview + coding in Hackerrank then fly to NYC for onsite interviews. I think the onsite interviews would consist of 4 rounds but I was kicked out after 2.

Interview Questions
    • Keep asking about C++ even I said that I am more comfortable with Java.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I got email from HR to give five dates on which I could give my interview. But, on the day of my interview they asked to reschedule it as the interviewer was not available. Then, on the day of my interview I got call at the exact time, firstly I was asked to tell me about myself and how i got to know about Bloomberg..etc. Initially I misunderstood the question and wasted 15 mins, interviewer asked me about my solution and then I realised that I misinterpreted the question. I quicky came up with correct solution and then we did a dry run of it. He told me that he got my logic and then asked me to code, but despite giving me n extra 5 mins I couldn't complete the code( I did things in haste). After the interview, I tried and it took me 10 more mins to complete the code. (Posting the solution as well)

Interview Questions
    • If the input is 6, then output should be the series 6 3 10 5 16 8 4 2 1, similarly if input is 10 then it should be 10 5 16 8 4 2 1, and if input is 4 then output is 4 2 1.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Process took about a month, applied online and got a phone interview, pretty straight forward. Three days later got offered an on site interview, went to NYC and interviewed with three more people, the questions this time were harder. The first two interviewers were really nice, however the last one was not that much, he had a rather heavy accent so Understanding some questions was not easy, and his interview was just 30 minutes long, as opposed to 45 min for the others.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a method for a Fibonacci sequence where instead of adding the last 2 elemenT's you add the last n elements. For n=3. 1 1 1 3 5 9...   View Answers (6)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

I got a phone interview. It was about 45 minutes, but this one ended earlier. Overall it was all technical questions, you do not need to prepare much for behavioral questions. Just prepare a really good introduction and prepare some really good questions to ask them to show your passion.

They can ask you 4-5 questions in a 45 interview, from simple to hard questions. The first one can be an overall idea, like, how would like to create a ** machine? How would create a test case for **?

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I applied online and they contacted me after 3-4 weeks asking me to give various available time slots for the phone interview. They scheduled a 45 minutes phone interview.
    Choosing a programming language of your choice:
    How do you implement a Polynomial?
    After I told them Array list, he showed me a very big polynomial and asked me what will you do if you have very big polynomial that needs to be handled? (Using an array list 'll consume hell a lot of memory for polynomials of higher degree)
    I answered him that i 'll use a hashmap to store the degrees and coefficients. He seemed to be impressed with that.

How will you implement the following four functions using the hashmap/arraylist:
    1. Constructor which details how your polynomial is stored
    2. Adding two polynomials.
    3. Printing polynomial.
    4. Finding the derivative of the polynomial.

He also asked me about my prior work experience and also about my current Master's thesis project which I thought I answered well. But I was able to implement only the first two functions(using arraylist) with in the time limit. Got a rejection email with in 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • Implement the above four polynomial functions using hashmap.   Answer Question