Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.2

148 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

First round is a phone call and shard doc interview. The interviewer was nice and patient. I'm pretty sure he could tell this was my first interview out of school, so he taught me the correct answers as I went.

Interview Questions
  • Questions were typical computer science questions, like listing numbers in specific orders.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Applied on the Website, then got a phone interview after two weeks. Asked two easy coding questions.
    After three weeks invited to NY to take the onsite interview.
    Two rounds technique interview, both talked about something on your resume and two coding questions (not hard)
    Third round talks with a manager, design software about stocks. After this round, I was asked to leave :(
    Onsite is not hard, prepare the basic algorithms and data structures well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult. But I'm not sure about the third round's question (because this is the round I was asked to leave)
      design a system about stocks: lots of stock info go into system, customers are waiting the other side for the stock system, how to design the system.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

The interview process for Bloomberg is a long and detailed one. For me, there was an online aptitude test - the top 5% or so would then proceed to the phone interview stage.

There where three phone interviews, each becoming increasingly more complex. The typical C++ questions relating to polymorphism, inheritance, access types, etc. If you make it through these, then you will be invited to New York.

Here is where my impression of the process was soured. I'm a senior software engineer that was being interviewed with a view to working on some of the parallel processing development - something that I have a lot of experience with. I was however interviewed by two junior engineers that were asking college type questions way, way lower in complexity than anything in the phone interviews or aptitude test.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone interviews questions were asked about the different access types and how they worked with inheritance - particularly 'protected' inheritance.   Answer Question

phone interview.
    1. difference between const char * and char * const
    2. rotate string by k elements to the right in place.
    3. give a situation that can cause deadlock, how to solve this

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

one phone interview then receive the onsite invitation. The phone interview lasts about 45 mins. Questions are focusing some general concept about C++ programming. e.g., constructor, copy constructor, operator overloading, deconstructor, memory allocation and deallocation, sizeof etc. Then, it moves to multithread programming, e.g. synchronization, critical section, semaphore etc.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Tell me about yourself. projects in your resume. which language are you most familiar with. Basic C++ concept questions. One algorithm question, interviewer kept asking in deep, guid you to the answer. After that, the interviewer asked me if I have any questions. It took about an hour for the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Applied online and then got email from HR to schedule Telephonic interview

Interview Questions
    • Generic template implementation for Stack program in C++ with more and more restrictions added on the fly. lot of questions to dynamic memory allocation and design of algorithms..

Interviewer tried to use some fee online cheap website to share for collaborative coding assessment..

They say they expect basic proficiency with programming and they provide good training but ideally they want programming gurus...

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

I applied on line and was contacted very soon by email. Then I was set up a phone screen interview. They waited for me about a month, which was so nice. Then during the phone interview, the people I was talking to was so nice, he guided me through to solve the coding problem step by step. I really appreciate this opportunity, because it helped me a lot for my future interviews.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

were a panel of two people and asked basic c and some logical quesitions as i was a non computer science major. was not very difficult.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

They were pretty fast. I applied some time in late January- early February and the responded within the next week. Got to the phone interview, which took about an hour. some of the questions were to design some simple algorithms, ie given a sequence of numbers, print the non-duplicated elements. they also kept asking about the time and space efficiency of the implementation and tried to have you come up with better ones.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sequence of numbers, is it possible to recover the original tree structure of the array before it became an array using inprder traversal? what about preorder traversal?   View Answers (2)