Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Had a phone interview and was contacted the next day to come onsite 3 weeks later.
Phone Interview
Basic questions on C. (Stack, Heap, Memory management, pointers)
Algorithm questions(Hashtable vs Binary trees, Linked lists), how to implement hashtable

Onsite Interview
Interview One
Q1 Josephus problem
Q2 Find all anagrams of a given word in quickest way possible

Interview Two
Reverse a linked list

I think the 2nd interviewer had already made up his mind even before interviewing me. I solved the problem corrected. He took a quick glance at my solution and said "thats all for now. Your recruiter will contact you in about a week"

I knew it was over because the onsite is usually 3 to 4 interviews.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Phone Interview was simple. He asked me about the my projects and questions on Linked List. I believe that he did not have any idea on that. And few questions on arrays which I screwed up.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied through a university career fair. Got a call for on campus interview.
    There were 2 rounds, 1 hour each. 1st round had 2 programming questions both of medium difficulty and 2nd round was more into theory: DBMS, OS, design patterns, choice of data structures.
    After that, got a call for On site interviews. There were 2 rounds at their office.
    1 was an HR round and 1 was with a senior manager. He asked me about my experience and gave a system design question.
    I felt that the manager was somewhat rude.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I got an on campus interview through a career fair. The interview was 2 weeks after, and was a two on one technical interview. After doing well on this interview, they gave me a 2nd interview a day after, and it was very much the same. I got the offer a week later.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I submitted my resume on a campus event and got an interview opportunity very soon. The whole interview took 1 hour. Most questions are technique questions about algorithm. The questions were not difficult. They were basically related to data structure or OOP. I needed to write the working code on paper. This was a bit difficult to me, because I needed to ensure everything was organized before I wrote them down. The interviewers are patient and nice.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online. 3 one hour on-campus interviews in successive days. Questions not too hard, but mainly technical. Started with a pair of recruiters giving questions together. The next day, there was only a single recruiter, but similar to the first day. The third day was a little similar, but with a project manager for the first half. The second half was mainly HR related questions with the R&D recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Can a C++ constructor throw an exception? If so, how should it be handled?   View Answer
    • Assume you have a large file with lines of timestamps and IP addresses. Timestamps are ordered, but may repeat and may skip. How do you determine whether there is a time window that has a certain IP address appearing more than k times? How would you solve this if instead you received a stream.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I applied online and they contacted me after 3-4 weeks asking me to give various available time slots for the phone interview. They scheduled a 45 minutes phone interview.
    Choosing a programming language of your choice:
    How do you implement a Polynomial?
    After I told them Array list, he showed me a very big polynomial and asked me what will you do if you have very big polynomial that needs to be handled? (Using an array list 'll consume hell a lot of memory for polynomials of higher degree)
    I answered him that i 'll use a hashmap to store the degrees and coefficients. He seemed to be impressed with that.

How will you implement the following four functions using the hashmap/arraylist:
    1. Constructor which details how your polynomial is stored
    2. Adding two polynomials.
    3. Printing polynomial.
    4. Finding the derivative of the polynomial.

He also asked me about my prior work experience and also about my current Master's thesis project which I thought I answered well. But I was able to implement only the first two functions(using arraylist) with in the time limit. Got a rejection email with in 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • Implement the above four polynomial functions using hashmap.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

There are three parts for the phone interview. The interviewer asked me which language I prefer, then I chose C++. Most of the questions are C++ specific questions, such as the polymorphism and pointer. The process last about one hour. The interviewer was very nice and passed the phone interview even though I failed to answer an easy question.

Interview Questions
    • I am not familiar with C++ actually, so the C++ related questions are difficult to me.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I met bloomberg employee in University at Buffalo Career fair.
    Intv: which is your favourite language?
    me : C
    what is the difference between int and int* memory allocations?
    me: one is allocated on stack and other on heap.
    one more question was :
    'void foo(){
    foo();
    }

Main(){
    foo();
    }

What does this do?

He was satisfied and scheduled an interview. (not done yet)

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

1 technical phone interview + coding in Hackerrank then fly to NYC for onsite interviews. I think the onsite interviews would consist of 4 rounds but I was kicked out after 2.

Interview Questions
    • Keep asking about C++ even I said that I am more comfortable with Java.   View Answer