Bloomberg L.P.

Average Difficulty
111 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – get an on-campus interview right after the career fair

Interview Question – implement strspn function, which is finding the first appearance of the second str in the first str   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

Interview Details – Got the opportunity through recruiter, followed by 2 1-hour technical phone interviews with 2 person team each time. On site interview was setup in NYC. They have a mass interview setup with tiny glass cubes where everyone can see you , it was weird looking at other interview candidates in next 3-4 cubes and hearing them too. They have free food and a cool atmosphere right in manhattan.

Interview Questions

• How do you find if a facebook friend is connected to another person given that there might be a lot of indirect friends?   View Answer
  • Multithreading question involving semaphores, mutex and condvars.   Answer Question
  • specific c++ (version 11) questions. they dont care if you know the previous version of c++ 10/10. learn shared_ptr, unique_ptr, scoped_ptr etc and other new features in c++ 11 in and out.   View Answers (4)

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

Interview Details – Resume was submitted to Bloomberg One hour Phone Interview first with two engineers. Result was known same day after phone interview, then setup on site interview. On site interviews talking to two engineers. The phone interview questions are more about c++ plus some data structure and algorithm design; on site was all problem solving questions. Code writing with pencil and paper.

Interview Question – Given a binary tree of integer numbers, find the closest number to the given one.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Binghamton, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview Details – Bloomberg came to my school's job fair, where I handed in my resume. From there, they contacted me for an on-campus interview, then a second interview the next day, then a third and final interview the following week. The first two were technical, and the last was with two HR ladies and lasted only 10 or 15 minutes. After that, I didn't hear for a few weeks, which could be explained by Hurricane Sandy messing things up, I suppose. I ended up not receiving an offer, which befuddles me since I had three rounds of interviews.

Interview Question – We're playing a game of Russian Roulette. I take 2 consecutive bullets out of the 6 bullet revolver and spin the chamber. I go first and shoot the bullet at my head, which misses. I then pass the gun to you, where you have the option of spinning the chamber, or shooting. Which would you do to maximize your probability of not dieing?   View Answers (5)

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview Details – Had two interviews in our college campus. Got a reject after that so not sure of the after procedure.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree (not a BST), print the nodes at a given level n passed as an input parameter. Here is how method definition looked like:
    public void printLevel(root, level)
      View Answers (2)

public B(){}

public void foo() {
                System.out.println("Class B");

class main {
         public static void main(String[] args) {

A a = new B();
    }

What does it print? Class A or Class B?
      View Answers (8)

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2008.

Interview Details – Very technical with questions on algorithms, design, data structures.

Interview Question – Why are manhole covers round.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, take it or leave it.

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2012.

Interview Details – Technical Questions asked were right to the point.
i.e write a program, with a language of your choice, to reverse a number without using arrays.

Interview Question – Write a program to reverse the numbers (e.g 12345 to 54321), without using vectors.   View Answers (5)

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2010.

Interview Details – interviewer were fair

Interview Questions

• reverse a string, then reverse a sentence   View Answers (2)
  • stack segment, I don't remember clearly. but you should know stack segment stack pointer, the size used   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2012.

Interview Details – Three questions, then you can ask them questions.

Interview Question – Given a list of valid city names, design a algorithm to auto correct spelling errors. Like, correct "New YYokr" to "New York" and correct "oston" to "Boston".   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview set up by a recruiter. Worst interviewer I have ever experienced. Asked really basic questions like, 'What is a class?', and 'What is polymorphism?' and if I didn't give him the exact answer that he wanted in less then 10 words he would get haughty and short with me. I should have ended the interview myself he was so arrogant and ignorant. Will rate the interview as difficult because knowing the canned response to his basic questions was impossible.