Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 27, 2014

3.3

117 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

one round phone interview, then onsite, did not prepare well, two technical guys, failed.

Interview Questions
  • questions not very diffucult, just didn't prepare well   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

On campus interview. 4 rounds. About an hour each. First 3 were technical, last one was an HR interview.

Interview Questions
    • 2 lists, find the common elements amongst the list. Do it w/ and w/o external storage, as fast as possible.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online and got a telephone interview. Asked me technical questions directly. Because i am familiar with C++ so he asked something about C++. he was nice and spoke clearly.

Interview Questions
    • A stock management system. questions like sorting, and storing (data structure)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

get an on-campus interview right after the career fair

Interview Questions
    • implement strspn function, which is finding the first appearance of the second str in the first str   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

3 rounds, on campus interview

Interview Questions
    • Print out the k smallest element from a BST into a specified array, in the function form: firstKelement(treenode *root, int k, int *arr), without using any global variables.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

Resume was submitted to Bloomberg One hour Phone Interview first with two engineers. Result was known same day after phone interview, then setup on site interview. On site interviews talking to two engineers. The phone interview questions are more about c++ plus some data structure and algorithm design; on site was all problem solving questions. Code writing with pencil and paper.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree of integer numbers, find the closest number to the given one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

Got the opportunity through recruiter, followed by 2 1-hour technical phone interviews with 2 person team each time. On site interview was setup in NYC. They have a mass interview setup with tiny glass cubes where everyone can see you , it was weird looking at other interview candidates in next 3-4 cubes and hearing them too. They have free food and a cool atmosphere right in manhattan.

Interview Questions
    • How do you find if a facebook friend is connected to another person given that there might be a lot of indirect friends?   View Answer
    • Multithreading question involving semaphores, mutex and condvars.   Answer Question
    • specific c++ (version 11) questions. they dont care if you know the previous version of c++ 10/10. learn shared_ptr, unique_ptr, scoped_ptr etc and other new features in c++ 11 in and out.   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

Applied for full time software engineering position at Bloomberg through an on-campus career fair. They did all of the rounds on campus. First round with two engineers, whiteboard coding and algorithmic problems. Then, at the end of that interview, found out immediately that I would do 2nd round (same style) with different engineers the next day. Different, easier algorithmic problems, and discussion of company culture, etc. Heard back a couple of weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • A take on an iterative binary tree traversal problem. Struggled with time, as I was a bit rusty with the stuff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Binghamton, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Binghamton, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Bloomberg came to my school's job fair, where I handed in my resume. From there, they contacted me for an on-campus interview, then a second interview the next day, then a third and final interview the following week. The first two were technical, and the last was with two HR ladies and lasted only 10 or 15 minutes. After that, I didn't hear for a few weeks, which could be explained by Hurricane Sandy messing things up, I suppose. I ended up not receiving an offer, which befuddles me since I had three rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • We're playing a game of Russian Roulette. I take 2 consecutive bullets out of the 6 bullet revolver and spin the chamber. I go first and shoot the bullet at my head, which misses. I then pass the gun to you, where you have the option of spinning the chamber, or shooting. Which would you do to maximize your probability of not dieing?   View Answers (5)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Had two interviews in our college campus. Got a reject after that so not sure of the after procedure.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree (not a BST), print the nodes at a given level n passed as an input parameter. Here is how method definition looked like:
      public void printLevel(root, level)
        View Answers (2)

public B(){}

public void foo() {
                  System.out.println("Class B");

class main {
           public static void main(String[] args) {

A a = new B();
      }

What does it print? Class A or Class B?
        View Answers (8)