Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Jan 16, 2015

3.2

159 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I met bloomberg employee in University at Buffalo Career fair.
Intv: which is your favourite language?
me : C
what is the difference between int and int* memory allocations?
me: one is allocated on stack and other on heap.
one more question was :
'void foo(){
foo();
}

Main(){
foo();
}

What does this do?

He was satisfied and scheduled an interview. (not done yet)

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

1 technical phone interview + coding in Hackerrank then fly to NYC for onsite interviews. I think the onsite interviews would consist of 4 rounds but I was kicked out after 2.

Interview Questions
    • Keep asking about C++ even I said that I am more comfortable with Java.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied on Campus , got a call for on campus. Interview went very well but got rejected. No idea why. Just one round and they said no employment where as on campus they were asking me for another round until the office said they can do just one. I heard from them that they would call back.

Software Engineer Interview

apply online and a few days later I got an email to ask me to fill a form, and then 3 days later, another email told me to schedule a time for the interview

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Initial on campus technical interview, followed by a second technical interview the next day, followed by a technical/fit interview and an hr interview the next week. Whole process was over in a week. Technical interviews were with two software developers at a time. In the technical interviews, was asked between 2 and 5 questions. Interviews are difficult, but interviewers are nice and provide hints when necessary. Recruiter was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • You have a collection of servers that store integers in an unsorted order. Each server can have a different number of integers. If a user wanted to find the median at any given time, how would you find the median?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

I went to the career fair at my university and after answering one technical question for them, then I got scheduled for an on campus interview.

the question at the career fair was reverse a string in C, but it could also be in java, however they gave me C because I said I could do C.

anyways, I went into the interview, first they just ask some basic things about stuff on your resume, then comes the technical questions:

1. given an array of numbers, find the best time to buy and sell that will give you the largest profit,
    and that buy has to come before sell.

I did it first time with 2 for loops and just finding the largest difference, but they want it faster, and I screw up on that part since I didn't remember the things that I could use in programming like maps and tree stuff. anyways, the solution was use a map and just map when to buy to when to sell and another map for when to buy to largest difference. so you can easily know when to buy and sell.

2. just some basic stuff on C memory structures like whether the passed in value is at stack or heap type of things.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Applied online, got resposed about two week later. There is a phone screen before the onsite. The phone interviewer is an indian guy. For this round, half of time focused on my background and my research project. The remaining time, he asked me a algorithm question, which is matrix problem similar to the one listed in the leetcode. I did not gave the optimal solution. Then he asked me some oop concept and let me give him a toy example about the virtual function and inheritance. I was told that i passed the phone screen. An onsite interview was scheduled one month later. I made it to the second round but got sent out after that. The interview in each round follows the same pattern. First, the interviewer asked me talked about a project listed in my resume, what's the challenging part, how to improve it. Then a technical question was asked. Then I have to write the code on the paper, which make me very unconfortable. The question is trivial. One is check if a string of parensis is valid or not. The other one is check if a BST is valid. Overall, the interview process is not bad, but not confortable eigher. Util now I still don't understand why then rejected me.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an incomplete code, which as segmentation fault, the interviewer asked me to debug it using any debug methods.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

The initial phone interview was conducted by someone from HR, covered school/project experience, a basic CS question (difference between C and Java), language skills and standard personal questions (what I do outside of school, why I chose CS). I received an email about a week later, informing me I was selected for the in-person second round interview in NYC.

When asked, I stated that my preference was to fly out the day before my interview, then fly home the the next night, after my interview was complete. However, when I got my itinerary, I was booked to fly out at 5am, the day of my interview, which put my arrival about an hour before it was to start. This seemed to be the experience of all of the other interviewees, so I would expect this is standard practice.

I made it just in time, and was given a tour of their gorgeous office building, told of all the perks employees enjoy, the usual deal. When I got to the interview itself, there were two engineers who asked me in more detail about my coding experience, favorite projects and the like. When I stated my lack of experience with C (something I had made clear in my first interview), they seemed surprised I had made it to the second round, because nearly their entire code base is in C.

They moved on to the coding question: How can you efficiently detect whether two singly-linked lists converge, and if they do, how do you identify at which node? They were okay with using pseudocode syntax, but they wanted a great deal of explanation of my thought process along the way.

My biggest mistake was just not practicing coding in front of someone to practice beforehand - I was nervous, made a few mistakes, and missed the obvious efficient solution until they gave me a big hint.

Interview Questions
    • How can you efficiently detect whether two linked lists converged? If they do, how do you identify at which node this occurs?   View Answers (4)

Software Engineering Interview

Pleasant, easy, and streamlined process. Applied online through my university's online job portal, got an email to schedule a phone interview within a week. A few days after the phone interview, I got an email to schedule an on-site interview in NYC. Company paid to for flights to/from NYC, hotel reservations, and car service from airport to hotel. Arrived at Bloomberg at 8:30 the day of my interview. After serving us breakfast and giving a tour of the building, interviews started. 2 hour-long technical interviews with 2 interviewers each, mostly focused on choosing and combining correct algorithms and data structures to solve problems. Third interview was with a manager in R&D, also technical but more focused on problem-solving thought process (also may be somewhat focused on personality). Last interviewer was from HR, about 15 minutes long and purely informational.

Interview Questions
    • Given a large collection of characters and a dictionary, find an efficient algorithm to return the 10 longest words you can form using the characters in the collection.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

First round is a phone call and shard doc interview. The interviewer was nice and patient. I'm pretty sure he could tell this was my first interview out of school, so he taught me the correct answers as I went.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were typical computer science questions, like listing numbers in specific orders.   Answer Question