Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Mar 31, 2015
Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied through the website. I was contacted by a recruiter after about 18 days. This interview was for the software engineering intern position at Bloomberg's office at London. The process begins by a phone interview and then a video conference. If everything goes well, They will get you to London for an onsite interview. Actually I did not make it to the video conference. I was rejected after the first interview although the questions were very easy and I am sure I have answered well because they are pretty standard and basic questions. Also there a couple of HR questions about Why are you willing to work for Bloomberg and So on...

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between c++ and Java? What are the primitive data types in Java? What is the JVM and the Garbage Collector?

Implement a method to decide whether a string is palindrome or not.

1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

Interview

Applied directly online.
    First received an email asking about my programming experience, after that I was invited to a phone/hackerrank interview, which I was given the choice of C/C++/Java/Python

However after only preparing for Python I was asked questions on all four.

I feel that had the email been more clear I would have prepared for more than one language.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted via a recruiter, who put my cv in a position for a software engineer role. I did a telephonic interview. It went well and they invited me for a 2nd stage interview in the bloomberg office. During 3 hours I was solving technical problems of C and C++ programming

Interview Questions

• A simple class with different constructors.
      A simple main program creates several objects of this class and I had to print what constructor was invoqued in each line if code of the main program.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online through their platform, where I had to provide a CV, cover letter, a transcript and had to answer a question "Why do you want to become a software engineer?".

I got an email from the HR department asking me to pick a 45-minute slot within the next two weeks where I could participate to a telephone interview. Also, they requested me to have access to a computer with internet connection during the interview for the technical part.

The interview started off with a guy from the R&D department describing the whole process: basic questions related to the company followed by a technical. Some basic questions: "Why do you want to work for Bloomberg?", "What do you know about Bloomberg?", "Tell me about a project that you enjoyed", "What did you learn by working on this project?", etc.

After that, we switched to the technical part, which is taken in your most familiar programming language(I did it in Java), where I had to answer basic questions about how Java works, the JVM, difference between Java and C++. Also, had to answer basic questions about wrapper classes, how java handles pointers, and had to come up with an algorithm to a specific scenario.

The guy was really nice and always tried to encourage and help me during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Had to think of an efficient algorithm to calculate the average of an array by removing the minimum and maximum.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

an online test,followed by a phone interview and a video one.simple technical questions.I answered all of their questions and they were very prompt in answering.
    After that i was called for an on site interview,more difficult questions ,3 teams,and then an interview with the Human Resources.They were very friendly and i enjoyed it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2013.

Interview

Highly unprofessional. The telephone was OK, but the F2F was a folly to say the least. Send two recent college graduates to interview, who had no inkling on what my profile said and how to interview me. Not angry because recent graduates interviewed me, but the behavior left a lot to be desired. I have C++ pasted all over my resume, because I am a C++ developer, they conveniently overlooked that part and delved into C. They were probably illiterate in C++ so tried to outsmart me when I started writing C++ code.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone interview: Basic C/C++ no probs
    Face to face: Two team members first, basics, implement a class, nice chat
    Face to face: Senior member: Puzzles, good chat.
    HR: Unavailable at the day so phone interview later. 20 mins, rapid-fire HR style questions.

No offer made, they took over a week to decide. No reasons given, no feedback given.
    Team members seemed great, HR are typical HR.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone Interview lasting about 40 min. Why do you want to work for Bloomberg + technical questions from an OO language e.g. Java. Questions Included : What is a VM? What is a garbage collector? What are exceptions in Java? What is a class? What is inheritance? What is the word 'this' in Java? Give me examples of classes from java.util. etc.

Interview Questions

• All questions were basic ones. Just revise the theoretical concepts in Java and do some basic programming to see for example which methods an objects inherits by default.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied via recruiter. few days later I had a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions:
      Differences between process and thread.
      What kind of memory(ies) is allocated when a program starts.
      Polymorphism
      Encapsulation
      Storage classes in C++.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in July 2012.

Interview

I had technical interview through phone.

Interview Questions

• How to start a code before main starts?
      Can we use auto_ptr for stl-containers?
      auto_ptr ownership? if we assign b = a, here a and b are auto_ptrs
      what is the complexity of vectors/maps?
      what is the complexity of troubleshooting vectors?