Bloomberg L.P.

3.1

354 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2009.

I applied for a Financial Software Development entry level position and when filling my application they asked my strongest programming language among c,c++, and Java. As I had previous experience with Java I selected it as my strongest language. The following day they sent me an email with instructions to take an online skills assessment. Reading this forum, I practiced a few IQ/Intelligence test with good results so I felt confident to take the test. I took the test and to my surprise it was all Java programming questions (syncronisation, inheritance, interfaces, polymorphism, analysing pieces of code, etc). The questions where very specific and not about general OO programming concepts eg. Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior? As I've been out of practice a bit in hands on programming I really struggled with the test. Basically I didn't remember clearly the syntax and got confused with some sentences. My recommendation is that you should study throughly your programming language selection and be ready for tricky questions.

Interview Questions
    • Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior?
      What support does java.io have for preventing malicious code from altering Serialized Objects?
        Answer Question
    • When using an ArrayList as the implementation for a list collection, what happens if adding an element exceeds the ArrayList's capacity?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

After screen test was invited for an interview. Really impressive building, very fancy environment, 1 tour of questions was easy, it's the 2 where i screwed up. They asked me some questions related to TCP Ip protocol, I can't even remember what exact quetions were but I coudn't answer. I didn't expect much from that interview. In a week of time I got a phone call from them that I am not a person they were lookign for...

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2010.

On-line exam, thought it would mostly like be Java as thats what I selected in the application but the questions were mainly about C/C++. Extremely hard, coming out of university with a 1st class honours and I'd hardly heard of any of the concepts

Interview Questions
    • What type of search is this? Had an example of code (can't remember it off the top of my head)   View Answer

Software Engineer-Financial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2010.

very touch online technical interview... i applied for C developer role.. so have to take a C test.... passed this test.... was invited for face to face... any questions on array, pointers.... just basics.... but make sure u have a thorough understanding.....if sucessfull... u get an interview from senior developer... who gives u crazy puzzle....so be prepared for a puzzle..

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2012.

There are 5 stages of interview. First one was telephonic interview. It was purely technical - c++, databases, unix. Next stage was face to face interview. Second interview was f2f and purely technical which lasted 2 hrs. At the beginning of this interview, I was told that whether I have more interviews or not will depend on how I fair in this interview. Second f2f was with the manager of team which lasted 45 minutes. It was totally CV based. Third f2f was with HR, it also lasted one hour and consisted of typical HR type questions and CV based questions, it was almost repetition of second f2f. Last stage was telephonic interview with NY team. I have really bad experience with this interview. The interview was arranged for 10 PM on a Friday night and the interviewer did not call. It was rearranged for Monday night. Even then, he did not apologise for not calling on Friday. Also, the way he started the interview it seemed he had really made up his mind not to take it. Asked me a very vague scenario based question and when I asked questions he replied u have to decide that for everything and finished the interview abruptly.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2008.

30 minute phone interview, followed by in-house interview.
    I lasted 3-4 hours and consisted of 3 technical and 1 HR interview.
    Typical questions asked were about programming, puzzles, algorithms, etc

I wasn't able to negotiate

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

I was interviewed by a Russian with a very heavy accent. I had a hard time understanding the recruiter. I think she was lost once I got into talking about my last job specifications.

During the entire interview process and every time I was in contact with Bloomberg LP, I talked to people with heavy foreign accents that I could not understand. If I want to work in Russia then I move there and will do my best to learn the language better then my recruiters spoke English.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2009.

The interview process consisted of several rounds: 1 online test, 1 phone interview, 2 interviews on-site. Most questions were difficult to say the least. The online test measured your C/C++ skills. The phone interview was OK. The onsite interviews were difficult, especially the final one with the head of R&D and HR.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

I applied through online. Recruiting captain email me to schedule for a phone interview. The interview was about 40-45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer was kept asking me why I applied for Bloomberg and why this position. He was not convinced my answer, so he kept asking me more specific reasons. Then, he asked me to give him my own analysis of my former employer's stock price.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Phone Interview first which was basic. I got fast tracked to the final interview.
    The final interview was very intense and fast paced. Questions like- what is the larger figure 40% of 60 of 60% of 40? They're the same.
    You need to have a keen interest in the financial markets and know what make companies valuable.