Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Mar 5, 2015

3.1

Multi-Lingual Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Online Application -> Comprehensive phone interview (around 40 mins) -> Assessment day (Presentation, Group Task, Company Tour, Individual Interview)

The online application is easy to make and its really clear. The phone interview was in different languages [ English, French and Spanish], the questions were the basic situational questions, questions about the company, its competitors and main field. Then the interviewer started testing my French language abilities and then connected me with someone else to test my Spanish skills.
    They told me its going to be a couple of weeks until they confirm if I passed to the next stage, which they did after 2 days.
    The assessment day was fun and interactive, full of networking and tours. The group exercise was fun and easy and the interview was comprehensive, with two interviewers. They want to know all about you and how you react in different situations. All in all a good experience.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Online Application
    Phone Interview - just basic knowledge of the company and personal questions
    Final Interview - Again some personal questions and then both situational and technical. Not so hard and easy to manage. I know exactly where I failed to answer correctly and hence got no job offer.

Global Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Sent an online application, got a phone interview with all the normal questions you get always (why bloomberg?, why this position? who are our main competitors? what about bloomberg's corporate behaviour you like? give me an example of a position of leadership you filled? etc.)
    Phone interviewer was very nice and the whole thing took about 20 minutes. got an invitation for an in-house interview that same day.

Interview Questions
    • (why bloomberg?, why this position? who are our main competitors? what about bloomberg's corporate behaviour you like? give me an example of a position of leadership you filled? etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Three rounds of interview. First round rather short and standard questions with a sales team member (motivation, why are you qualified, why financial products). Feedback was quick and second round via Skype two weeks later with two managers. Again, why Bloomberg, why Financial Products, why do you think you´re qualified, basic financial questions. In addition they asked me to slove problems (three clients want a call, you can only choose one, which one do you choose? Feedback the next day and third round in London two weeks later. It started with half an hour of shadowing (you follow a team member and can ask him whatever you want to know while he gives you an idea of what the job looks like. Next was one hour of interview with two managers. Again the standard motivational questions. In addition deeper and more difficult financial questions and problem solving questions.

All in all a good and quick interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bloomberg? Why Financial Products? Why Sales? What are Bonds/Options/Swaps/Futures? Which other jobs do you apply for Why is Bloomberg your first choice?   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst/Scandinavian Speaker Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview bas basically to see if Bloomberg is the right company for me. They just wanted an overall idea how my communication skills were, and how I explain different things. Went through my Cv and background, and why I`m applying for this position.
    Have in house interview so still ongoing.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you applying for this position, and some motivational questions.   Answer Question

Market Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

Start off by sending the application online. You dont need to write an extensive cover letter, but it is advisable to include it amogst the uploaded documents. If you pass the first screening they will invite you to a phone interview. The phone interview consists mostly of general questions like why you want to work there, former experiences and their relevance, and a few general questions abou their company and business model to ensure you understand how they make their money.

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview then face to face. Positive experience and team was really kind and helpful. The interviewer was really pleasant, friendly and knew her stuff. When she realised I had misunderstood a question she rephrased it and let me re-answer which was helpful. They said the turnaround would be 1-2 days and got back to me within 4 hours to let me know I'd passed.

Interview Questions
    • Company info, motivational, wider market/finance knowledge.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Fairly straight forward. The motivation for the job and the company are most important. They try to make you go beyond the standard stuff such as “I like the offices and free food; the flat hierarchy is great”. They were really stressing on the motivational part. They did not bother on any standard stuff like going through your CV. They asked about the different products Bloomberg sells.

Administrator - Research Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

One telephone interview which was pretty straightforward, then secondary interviews with Manager Admin, Research Manager and H.R Manager.
    After the secondary interviews there was no call-back or email to say someone else had been hired for the position.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Sent an application at the beginning of december, received an invitation for a phone interview scheduled for mid-January.
    The phone interview was quite easy, most of the questions were related to your motivations to apply to Bloomberg, plus a lot of general questions on my background:
    - why financial product and sales? who are bloomberg competitors? why are you applying to bloomberg...

One day later I received an invitation for an in-house interview.

In-house interview: my interview was scheduled for 8.30 a.m. Be there on time, at first I was invited to make my way upstairs where I would have met an employee. I was shadowing an employee in the analytics department, she was very kind and showed me how the tickets worked and the way the reply to it. From my understanding the analytics job is not any more than any helpdesk, she received some queries from clients going from "could you please check that the data in the terminal are correct" to "where can I find data on XYZ stock". Overall, she told me that in an average day, they would receive approximately 20-25 queries. Then, the moment of the interview came. The interviewers were managers of analytics and sales, they took me to a quite room for a 2:1 interview. The manager from the analytics department started asking me some general questions, unfortunately I mentioned that I would rather work in financial services than in investment banking. From that moment, my interview went wrong. The interview from the analytics department bombarded me with questions on investment banking. Needless to say, I wasn't prepared to answer such questions and I provided weak answers to that. Questions went from: how many terminals are there in your country? to what are the main areas of operations of an investment bank? what are an investment bank main operations? After my bad performance on investment banks I knew that I would have not been offered a job, anyway I tried to do my best to finish the interview in a good way. The analytics manager asked me other questions of how I would convince a SME to buy the terminal. After this part , I was interviewed by the second manager, who asked me more about the current developments in global affairs. Then, a couple of questions on financial calculus, such as what would happen to the current price of a bond if the interest rate went down.
    Couple of advices for people being interviewed: know intimately why you would want to work for bloomberg and not for an investment bank. Know bloomberg. And last, but not least, be prepared to be questioned in any case. The interviewers will never be satisfied with your answers. However, try to be confident enough to motivate your choices, there is no wrong answer, it depends on the motivation you give.