Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Aug 18, 2014

Average Difficulty
310 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Interview Details – Process in 3 stages: 1. telephone interview, 2. face2face (or video conference) and a 3rd and final face2face interview.

Why finance and why Bloomberg (I studied marketing so it was sort of hard to convince them why I want to go into finance now)? What can Bloomberg give you what other companies cannot give you? Sell a Samsung phone to an iPhone owner and lover. Mention 3 arguments why Bloomberg should take you on.

Telephone interview:
It is rather short and they are bombarding you with questions just like why Bloomberg, why finance, what does Bloomberg do, who are our competitors, why would a company use a Bloomberg terminal, give an overview over the Ukraine crisis.

1. F2F interview:
Similar questions as telephone interview, digging a bit deeper. They really want to know why you want to work for them and what your sales and people skills are. If you don't have a finance background be honest and tell them you're not an expert but you are keen to learn and be prepared to answer why you want to learn more about finance! They also ask you about different scenarios at the help desk and how you would handle them.

I am still waiting to hear back from them whether I made it to the 3rd stage or not!

Interview Question – Why finance now and not marketing or communications (which are my degrees)?
What does Bloomberg give you that another company couldn't give you?
What other jobs did you apply for so far?

London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online for a French-speaking position. Process took about a month. Went through 2 steps so far: Phone interview with expectable questions (why Bloomberg? Why not investment Banking?), 1 Video-conference (with prior 30 minutes shadowing) in NY and another one still ahead!
The people I interacted with so far were extremely nice and pleasant to talk to.

Interview Question – If you get inquiries from a trader, a sell-side analyst and a CEO at the same time. How would prioritize and why?   Answer Question

Global Technical Support Interview

Global Technical Support

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2010.

Interview Details – Found the job advert online. Quick interview with HR and set up an interview. Was interviewed by all the team leaders in technical support. Was tough since I just arrived from Israel. However, everyone was friendly.

Interview Question – Had to answer a practical question by giving examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR offered me a salary.

Sales and Analytics Interview

Sales and Analytics
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through a recruitment agency, process was very quick. Telephone interview on the Wednesday focused on my path so far leading up to university/job search and my motivations for applying to Bloomberg and that particular role. Recruitment agency contacted me to invite me to face to face interview on the Thursday morning, started off shadowing a recent starter in analytics. Basically looked as though the analytics was a fancy word for a call/contact center for anyone with a Bloomberg terminal, basic questions being answered and more complex questions being referred to more experienced members of the analytics team. After half an hour shadowing the interview began with one guy from sales and one lady from analytics- both really nice. Again started with my path discussion on why i'd chosen my degree subject and why I didn't want to go in to asset management/banking given my work experience. Big emphasis on 'why Bloomberg' throughout the interview. Then basic questions about what i thought the role entails and where it would lead me long term, questions about Bloomberg's competitors within the market (Eikon) and how they were better or worse. One competency question based on how to sell in hypothetical situation where a bank wants to lower costs and Bloomberg is one of the highest costs to the bank so how I would convince that bank to keep Bloomberg terminals over the Eikon.
Invited back on the Friday for what I was informed would be my last interview, again one guy from sales and a lady from analytics. This time they seemed a lot more stern about the role and the majority of the interview was focused on 'why Bloomberg' over asset management or other financial services positions, any answer I gave wasn't good enough as they continually compared any reason I gave to a similar benefit of working in banking etc. After making me feel uncomfortable I was asked what I enjoyed in my spare time, my answer being 'football' (don't say football) the lady asked me to sell her a football match... any ideas shot down instantly e.g. "I don't like football, my boyfriend wont let me go, I don't like any sport". Made it virtually impossible to sell, which granted was a test but the product was completely unrelated, I understand that usually they ask you to sell a Bloomberg terminal- perhaps they should stick to this in future.

Interview Question – How difficult did you find your A-levels/Degree compared to your peers?   View Answer

C++ Developer Interview

C++ Developer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received an email after about 2 weeks for a telephone interview, followed by a face to face interview at London office (after 2 weeks of telephone interview). The questions were fairly easy. Only on C++. The interviewers were very friendly throughout the process. The office is beautiful, especially impressed by the cafeteria! :P

Interview Question – Phone interview:
    Difference between call by pointer and reference
    Polymorphism
    Vptr, virtual table- where is it stored
    Size of an empty class-why? With a function? With a virtual function?
    Constructors
    Copy constructor
        Static members and static functions
In house:
       Program to reverse an integer array.
       Program to generate a random number in the range 1 to 200 with equal probability. Given a function that always returns 1 or 0.
      Inheritance
      Question on logical operators

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – Online application, phone interview, video conference interview as I was not in London at that moment, passed to the final interview, which is still ahead of me.

All interviews were with people from the Sales & Analytics team, not HR. The two interviews were quite similar - main emphasis on why Bloomberg, how is it different from competitors, why this job and not bank (I have a degree in banking), then how to sell the terminal to non financial company, how to sell it to a customer if he can get it cheaper from T. Reuters.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question was about Bloomberg Order Management System and the use of it by asset/wealth managers i.e.: what happens when I want to invest in a stock, what does the wealth manager do?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

Interview Details – Was great! very quick and efficient, very well organised. HR and other hiring managers and interviewers were very nice and represented company and its values to the best - made me really want to work there!

Interview Question – No tricky questions really - rather a lot of examples from previous experience, situational questions as well as technical questions, for example: describe in simple words what is a standard deviation.   Answer Question

Graduate Sales Analyst Interview

Graduate Sales Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – 3 interviews (1st one on the phone, followed by a first In-house interview and a final interview). Was rejected after the final interview by a standard email. Did not receive any feedback though promised I would - I asked for feedback two times, on the phone and via email. The process took at least three weeks in which I prepared thoroughly.

Interview Question – Describe Bloomberg Enterprise Solutions - not related to the role.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – There are four stages to apply for this role:
1. Online Application
2. Telephone Interview
3. Panel Interview
4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Question – What research have you done lately?
What is the difference between a forward and future?
What is the difference between an option and future?
What would you choose, an option or a future?
What is an option premium?
How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?

Analyst Interview

Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2012.

Interview Details – the interview process is composed by 3 steps all very general and without very technical question.
during the second interview the HR guys walk the candidates through the BBG office in London.

Interview Question – what's a CDS?   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!