Bloomberg L.P.

3.1

353 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Market Data Analyst, London Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online. Took them approx. 2 months to get back to me.

1st round phone interview: If you read all the questions here you should be fine. I was not asked anything beyond here. Question about markets, a few competence based questions and a few questions about my CV. Interview lasted approx. 30 min.

2nd round interview (in house/ in my case video conference): Went really weird. After I ran them through my CV there was very little about me and my skills, but mostly about my motivation to work for the job. The few questions were the standard silly interview questions like "what is your greatest weakness". The questions were "what do you think this role is about", "why this role", "why bloomberg", "where do you want to be in 5 years". Bloomberg is generally very keen on these motivational questions. I guess they were not happy about what I said because they kept on asking and repeating these questions. Over all, this was the first ever interview in which the interviewers talked me out of the job, by saying things like "I am not saying you should not work for bloomberg, but are you aware that the role mostly contains....".

Very unsurprisingly I did not get the job.

Overall, I was very happy about the interview process. It is a bit annoying that I had to wait for long without any reply. But once it was going it was an easy process, the HR was very nice, got back to me quickly, an the first time they called me to give me feedback on the interview without me asking for it. I was very happy about that.

Interview Questions
    • no special real difficult question beyond the scope of this forum   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interviews were fast and efficient. Why Bloomberg and why role was the most prominent. Talk about having sales or customer related experiences. Try to show you are passionate about the firm and know its history. Know competitors and be able to pitch why BBG is the better option. Also make sure you can tell them how you would convince corporates that the BBG terminal is a value add as opposed to a cost. Also have an idea of new markets for BBG to explore.

Interview Questions
    • Role play involving multiple requests for help while at the terminal. One from trader, one from Bank of England analyst and another from hedge fund.   View Answer

Glorified call centre

Telephone interview.
    Questions are mostly motivational, such as why you choose us? why this department? She also asked about recent news. I did not prepare too much on the news but she asked a number of questions in relation to the news, so make sure you are fully prepared on what you want to talk about. Then she asked me about my sales experience but unfortunately I don't have any. After that she asked me whether I am interviewed by other companies and asked me the names of them!!! She did not ask any further questions.

Interview Questions
    • Are you being interviewed by other companies? Who are they?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The first stage of the interview process was a 90 minute telephone and web browser interview that requires you to discuss and solve live programming problems. I enjoyed the process and the interviewer asked fair questions in ascertaining my experience level. At the time I figured that with the technical interview being so thorough that this part of the process would be over and the onsite interview would focus more on the job itself. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

I received a message informing me that I could interview on-site and that it would take 3-4 hours of my time. Expecting it to be difficult, I spent about three days preparing for every eventuality beforehand and showed up confident. To my surprise, I was told that we'd be doing a technical test first. Having already completed a thorough technical test, this immediately put me in a frustrated state of mind but I figured I'd play along and answered all the questions. This was actually less difficult than the phone interview, but the worst aspect is that it seemed completely pointless. None of the questions actually related to the job in any way, and I don't see how they could have assessed my competency to do the job by asking me questions about minor language aspects like type casting. When they asked if I had any questions, I didn't really have any because I'd already done that on the phone. So I ended the interview by repeating some of those questions so that they didn't think I was disinterested.

Then it got worse. They couldn't find a team leader to interview me after I had sat waiting in the cafeteria for 20 minutes. Apparently they checked the person's calendar (it was empty) and he was nowhere to be found and probably wasn't in the building. I had expected it too because there were some nervous glances exchanged when I asked who would be interviewing me early on in the process. I asked that the manager phone me so that I could complete the interview and then went home. What disgusted me the most is that nobody in HR came to talk to me to explain the situation or apologise for what had happened (the technical guy had to do it). Three days later I received an automated email of rejection and no explanation... no phone call... nothing.

So in retrospect, all the effort I had put into preparing for this interview had been a complete waste. The 3-4 hour interview turned out to be one hour of questions of no relevance to the job. All I learnt was that Bloomberg has no respect for a candidates time, their entire interview process is suspect, and they're rude and unprofessional. A real shame given that I was actually excited at the prospect of working there. Now nothing could be further from the truth.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty ranged from easy to medium, but I was concerned that on occasion they used methodologies that should never be used in modern practice. For instance, recasting class pointer types in live code. It gave me concern as to what their code might actually look like if they expect you to know such things.   Answer Question

Financial Product Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

I've sent my application online.
    Got a response after 2-3 days.
    Then a phone interview which lasted 30min.
    Some Questions: Tell me about yourself, why bloomberg, what do you know about bloomberg and its products, tell me about the impact of Russia-Ukraine crisis on financial markets, How would you sell bloomberg terminal to BMW?
    Got through in house interview:
    Why would investor invest in mutual funds vs ETF, what's the difference?
    What are investors looking for when they invest?
    Behavioural questions: problem solving / unhappy customers. Why do you want to work for bloomberg? Why this position? What is the difference between Bloomberg and its competitors? Define sharpe ratio, standard deviation. Tell me about something you read or heard in the news that made you proud to work in finance?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something you read or heard in the news that made you proud to work in finance?   Answer Question

Sales&Analytics Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Apply online. Invited to the first round interview directly and invited to the second round about two weeks later. Two interviewers. One from HR and one senior manager from sales team. Questions varies.

Interview Questions
    • How to differentiate bloomberg with other companies. Try to sell the iPhone to us   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

Applied online (few basic questions of why Bloomberg, why me). Got an invitation for a telephone interview on the next day. An initial email communication was held with HR department, however I was interviewed by the manager of department. An interview lasted for 20 minutes and was generally pretty easy.
    I'm expected to hear from them within a week. Therefore no feedback on interview's success or failure.

Interview Questions
    • What non-financial companies would be interested in company's products and services?   Answer Question
    • Why Bloomberg?   Answer Question
    • What makes you want to work for Bloomberg rather for any other buy-side companies?
      As I'm doing a bit of spread trading the question was related to my strong choice and preference for Bloomberg rather then my desire of pursuing a career in trading.
        View Answer
    • What challenges do financial data providers face at the moment?   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I met a Bloomberg recruiter at a career fair. Discussed 5 minutes about my resume (Previous work experience, Preferred programming languages, ...) and then scheduled two technical interviews the day after.

The first interview was with two young very cool guys from two different teams. I was asked basic (But sometimes tricky) questions about C and Java, mostly about memory allocation. I was also required to code a reverse string function, and to correct and improve an ugly piece of code written in C. They are definitely not here to trick you, and will guide you to the right solution if you make a mistake.

The second interview started with basic questions (Why Bloomberg, why do you want to be a software developer, ...), and I was then asked to design an algorithm (See below), and implement it in Java. As for the previous interview, the last 15 minutes were dedicated to a very nice conversation with the interviewer.

Two days letter I got contacted by a HR manager to schedule an interview with them. After a 10 minutes chat, they gave me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Design an algorithm to find the first unique element in an array.   View Answer
    • How is memory managed in Java. Explain what the garbage collector is.   Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate here. The package offered by Bloomberg is incredibly high for an internship!

Graduate Analytics & Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

first interview:phone interview (about 25 minutes), why Bloomber?Why Bloomberg and not IB?What do you know about Bloomberg Law?Why this position?What can you offer?
    second: shadowing, interview with 2 employees (why Bloomberg?difference futures/forwards?sell a terminal?sell your mobile phone)

Interview Questions
    • Risk Mc Donalds face (currency risk), hedging tools(swaps,forwards, futures), difference forward/futures   Answer Question

Installations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Applied in November, got a call in February to set up an initial phone interview. After phone interview, I was invited to an on-site group assessment and interview. After, I was invited for a final interview with the Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Very straight forward - behavioural and situational questions asked during the interviews. If you speak any languages, make sure you can actually speak them. Just know the company and what they do - if your interest and goals don't "match" the job, they won't hire you.   Answer Question
    None