Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.1

Bloomberg Intelligence- Research Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

I applied online, and one month after, the HR email me to schedule a phone interview date with the interviewer. the phone call came as expected. It was competency-based and took 20 mins.

Financial Products Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

1st stage of the process was through Online - relatively easy, answered additional questions and 4 days later got an e-mail from HR asking for my availability to conduct a Telephone.

It was longer than accepted before going through the telephone interview, I gave a fast response to the HR regarding my availability - no response - I let it wash through me and carried on with my research within the company.

On the day of when I was supposed to have an interview - I was slightly whether they had forgotten so I called the HR up and it turns out - no telephone interview is booked.

A bit later I got an email from HR asking for my availability- responded them and received a confirmation of the interview.

On the day of the interview there was no call and got an email from the HR again whether I am available for the next day slot then I got back with a YES response.

On the day of the telephone interview I got a call from the leader of the analytics and introduced herself and contacted a Biographical, Competency and Situational Questions.

Walk me through your CV, who is our competitors? What makes Bloomberg different to its competitors? what research have you done to our company? What is Bloomberg Government? Talk to me about the terminals? ( and i started talking through about the benefits of using a terminal to non financial companies ) How would Coca Cola benefit when using this terminal? Make sure to have a clear understanding what you are talking about. And Why Sales? And she proceeded to A Situational Question which I left me blank for a second.

Then she asked if I have any questions about the company. The interview lasted for 20 mins and she said she will discuss this to the management and she will get back within 1-2 days for the outcome of the interview.

Still in the process and the interview was yesterday. I just hope they will invite for the in house interview!

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a client when they suddenly decided that they wanted to shut down 30 terminals since their department? How would you convince them not to shut down this terminals?   Answer Question

2015 Financial Product Sales and Analytics - Spanish Speaker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

I've only gone through the phone interview for now. It was about 30 minutes long. Very basic questions about Bloomberg, products and services that they offer, where I heard about Bloomberg and the job offer, my current role, any current events I'm keeping up with.

Interview Questions
    • As you studied International Business and not Finance, what would you say your level of finance knowledge is from a 1-10 scale? What's a time where you had to be a leader? What can you bring to Bloomberg?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Sent an application at the beginning of december, received an invitation for a phone interview scheduled for mid-January.
    The phone interview was quite easy, most of the questions were related to your motivations to apply to Bloomberg, plus a lot of general questions on my background:
    - why financial product and sales? who are bloomberg competitors? why are you applying to bloomberg...

One day later I received an invitation for an in-house interview.

In-house interview: my interview was scheduled for 8.30 a.m. Be there on time, at first I was invited to make my way upstairs where I would have met an employee. I was shadowing an employee in the analytics department, she was very kind and showed me how the tickets worked and the way the reply to it. From my understanding the analytics job is not any more than any helpdesk, she received some queries from clients going from "could you please check that the data in the terminal are correct" to "where can I find data on XYZ stock". Overall, she told me that in an average day, they would receive approximately 20-25 queries. Then, the moment of the interview came. The interviewers were managers of analytics and sales, they took me to a quite room for a 2:1 interview. The manager from the analytics department started asking me some general questions, unfortunately I mentioned that I would rather work in financial services than in investment banking. From that moment, my interview went wrong. The interview from the analytics department bombarded me with questions on investment banking. Needless to say, I wasn't prepared to answer such questions and I provided weak answers to that. Questions went from: how many terminals are there in your country? to what are the main areas of operations of an investment bank? what are an investment bank main operations? After my bad performance on investment banks I knew that I would have not been offered a job, anyway I tried to do my best to finish the interview in a good way. The analytics manager asked me other questions of how I would convince a SME to buy the terminal. After this part , I was interviewed by the second manager, who asked me more about the current developments in global affairs. Then, a couple of questions on financial calculus, such as what would happen to the current price of a bond if the interest rate went down.
    Couple of advices for people being interviewed: know intimately why you would want to work for bloomberg and not for an investment bank. Know bloomberg. And last, but not least, be prepared to be questioned in any case. The interviewers will never be satisfied with your answers. However, try to be confident enough to motivate your choices, there is no wrong answer, it depends on the motivation you give.

Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Fairly straight forward. The motivation for the job and the company are most important. They try to make you go beyond the standard stuff such as “I like the offices and free food; the flat hierarchy is great”. They were really stressing on the motivational part. They did not bother on any standard stuff like going through your CV. They asked about the different products Bloomberg sells.

Bloomberg M&A Analyst Interview

1) Talk about yourself
    2) How much do you know about Asian market?
    3) what is a typical day for an analyst?
    4) I have academic background (teaching in University), so they ask me why you wanna change from academic to industry? what's your motivation?
    5) what kind of programming softwares you can use?
    6) what database you are able to access?

Software Engineer Interview

Contacted via a recruiter, who put my cv in a position for a software engineer role. I did a telephonic interview. It went well and they invited me for a 2nd stage interview in the bloomberg office. During 3 hours I was solving technical problems of C and C++ programming

Interview Questions
    • A simple class with different constructors.
      A simple main program creates several objects of this class and I had to print what constructor was invoqued in each line if code of the main program.

Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Speedy interview process, within 4 weeks I went from submitting my CV to being rejected. It starts with a phone interview, followed by a jabber (skype) interview followed by onsites. Very focused around C/C++. Despite them telling you you can use any language, every answer you give will be redirected to a C/C++ question. Know how those languages work internally, very much focus on that. Actual problem solving part was very easy, and actually found the jabber interview harder than onsites. Despite solving all their problems, I failed some C/C++ language knowledge questions and got rejected. They seem to
    value actual knowledge more than problem-sovling abilities, so keep that in mind.

Interview Questions
    • How does GC work in Java. C/C++ memory management and parameter passing mechanisms. Actual problem solving questions are easy and standard, have a look at careercup for some examples. They don't really bother changing them so you might get the same ones as on there.   Answer Question

Contracts Representative - Portuguese Speaking Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I had the telephone interview, which was pretty normal and the interviewer was very polite. Although the HR lady booking the interviews was not able to spell the word "Portuguese" properly (she wrote "Portuges" in more than once email), she was also professional and her responses were very quick. Then I have been to the 1:1 interview. I have been interviewed by the 2 team leaders for the team who manage the contracts. They were both late but apologetic. They took me to a cubicle and, although the walls were made of glass, I felt claustrophobic and quite uncomfortable because there were 3 people sited inside that room and I could barely move (I couldn't even cross my legs and had no space to put my bag or to rest my paperwork).

The Asian team leader said they would check my French skills. I said I don't speak French, then she looked at my CV and said that they would test my Spanish and Italian skills. I said that I am not able to speak both languages at the same time because they're similar and I get quite confused (because I already speak English and Portuguese) and she should choose one of them (Spanish or Italian) to test, she ignored me. Then a 4th person came to the room (!) and couldn't sit, obviously. She tested my Italian skills and immediately after my Spanish skills, which have compromised the 2nd language. I have been told that it would be a competency interview and if I knew they were going to test my language skills, I would have told them that I can't speak more than 3 languages in one go and would have prepared to answer questions in Spanish, if they had chosen this language instead of Italian. The job is for a Portuguese speaker, if they want to test other languages, they should advise me before.

But the most bizarre part was still to happen. The Eastern European team leader said that she could see that I have worked as a manager before. I said that I have managed a team of 6 before, for only 6 months, and then she started me to ask me management questions!!! I answered them, but I was really confused, as the advert said it was an entry level. After 2 or 3 questions about this subject, they asked me what I would do if my colleague would never finish his cases. I said that I would report it to my manager. The Asian team leader got angry and said: "Yes, but you don't try to sort the problem out first?", I said "Obviously, but if he NEVER finishes his job, I supposed that I have already asked him to finish". Then she said that this is not enough, that I should MAKE my colleague finish!

At the and we had difficulties to leave the room, because there was no space to open the door without moving the chairs. There was no space to move the chairs if we remained stand up. One of the team leaders had to sit again and the one standing up had to pile chair on the top of the other, so we could open the door. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

While I took half a day holiday from my current job to go to the interview and prepared myself to the role described on the job advert, they haven't prepared a room for me, they haven't read my CV 5 minutes before they've came to meet me, they didn't even know what they were interviewing for! The Asian team leader was already so angry with me and I don't even work there. It gave me the impression that some colleagues don't do their jobs properly and they obviously want someone to sort problems out for them and get in an fight with their colleagues all the time. It must be a horrible environment in that team!

They said they would do their best to give me the result in 2 weeks time. This was the 23rd October. I was not worried because after all I would have refused an invitation for a 2nd interview. Bloomberg emailed me saying they wouldn't take it forward on the 23rd December, TWO MONTHS LATER! It was an automated message and the last line was: "Replies to this message are undeliverable and will not reach the Human Resources Department. Please do not reply.", so they wouldn't give me any feedback.

They must be very fussy, because the fist advert came out in September 2015; we are in January 2015 and they are still advertising the same job (and they said they needed only one person).

On Boxing Day Bloomberg sent me a survey. Most people, including myself, were on holidays on that period. Today I clicked in the link to do it, it was already expired. It makes me wonder if they really would like to know about my interviews?

I used to admire and respect Bloomberg, but after this experience, I will never apply to any job in that company again. It made me appreciate a lot more my job and realize there are places a lot more disorganized than my current job.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of behavioural questions about management experience (the job is an entry level).   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

4 stages: phone interview, 2 in house interview and then one conference call with the NYC office.
    The questions are always the same during the interviews: why bloomberg/why this role/what are the competitors of Bloomberg/ what is the difference between Bloomberg and Reuters.
    Also some questions that you have to answer quickly: do you prefer daily or long term tasks?/ would you rather give a figure not accurate or not give it at all?/do you prefer precise instructions or no instructions at all?
    Finally, I had the feeling that most of the questions were motivational. Also prepare questions about the Bloomberg culture and the career path you would like to have in the company.