Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 29, 2015

3.1

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

the process began with a simple phone call and then once i passed that stage i was asked to come in for an interview which was conducted by head of department. I was asked about work history education and my skill sets a few questions on equity markets and options which the interviewer called in a colleague who knew about the subject as it was not his area of expertise.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Online application (with a few questions like why Bloomberg, why role, what current news are you interested the most in) Telephone interview (approx. 30 minutes) Face to face interview at Bloomberg headquarter with two recruiters Telephone interview. Was clearly structured and conducted by HR, so it seemed she followed a set of questions, which is good and organised. Questions she asked included: Why Bloomberg? Why role? What do you know about the role? Where Bloomberg gets its data from? What do you know about Bloomberg? Main products? What is the difference between good customer service and excellent one? How do you measure your own success/performance? A time you worked in a team Challenges you faced in a team A time when you improved a process Any questions. She was not friendly or anything, just acted like a robot with no emotions or personal approach. It was not enjoyable. Face to face That was even worse that the first one. There is no formal structure they follow, except standard questions they ask like why Bloomberg and why role. What asset you would like to specialise, I said FX so they went: okay, imagine you work for FX, so what would you do as an analyst and where would you get the data from? They really pushed on the technicality of the data processing, like what exactly you do. Then the interview essentially expends on what you say. They pick up on every word you say and ask further questions. So make sure you can explain everything you say. Even simple thing like I worked on a presentation at uni on a dolphins or something... then they could ask okay so what did you talk in your presentation about. A few competency questions like teamwork, challenges in a team, something outside of CV. Situational, like imagine you have an angry customer on the phone, manager told you to do a presentation and pissed off and you also made mistake in their holly grail terminal. How would you approach this? Just basically don’t forget their holly grail office layout where they sit next to each other and so collaboration is important (looks far from the truth when you actually see their office...) Where do you see yourself in a few years Then you can ask any questions. Overall, they were not friendly at all, they 'lectured' me on answers which did not satisfy them, saying something like you forgot this... look at our office, how do we sit? next to each other? i was like mate no need to lecture okay. I think it was unprofessional and people assumed too much power for just being team leaders. I felt like I was being interviewed for an investment bank rather than a help desk role and putting data into the system. I was highly disappointed the company and overall recruitment process. Even simple communications through email with recruiters was bad.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

3 rounds for the internship: telephone, two individual interviews with two employees. Standard interview questions: motivation, CV, knowledge about Bloomberg, overall economics and etc. Very efficient procedure, friendly staff and appealing work environment. A pleasant experience overall.

Global Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2015.

Interview

After initial screening I had a phone interview and then invited to in house one. Typical HR interview consisting of motivational questions and a few technical ones relating to past experiences. It is important to link your past experience to the role.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Why this position ? What do you think your day to day activities would be.   Answer Question

Financial Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

4 rounds. Expect about a week between each round. After 1 phone interview (HR) and 2 Skype interviews, was invited for an 2:1 in-office interview at London office. More interested in VBA and Excel skills. Very conversational. Was given an office tour after the final round, which I took to be a good sign. Received a call with the offer the following morning.

Interview Questions

• What are some array sorting methods you've used in VBA? What is the most optimal way to transpose arrays onto a worksheet? What is the default variable type of an undeclared variable in VBA? When would you use credit spreads? What option pricing methods do you know? What are their inputs? What is a swap? A bond? Duration? Are you familiar with volatile functions? Have you used VLOOKUP? INDEX? What is the difference between the two?   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The process began with a telephone interview followed by three in-house interviews. The telephone interview is quite relaxed, with basic questions regarding Bloomberg products and a recent finance news story. The first in-house interview is testing quite general skills and knowledge of Bloomberg markets and products. The second interview is more direct and hard-hitting in terms of specific questions on financial concepts and financial history. Third interview is a friendly talk with a senior executive. Each interview focuses on three core issues: why finance, why BBG and why sales?

Interview Questions

• In-house interview 1: Tell us about an enterprise product you have read about. Tell us about a recent financial news story you found interesting. Why would a company like IKEA use the BBG Terminal? I was given four different scenarios where clients had issues with the terminal and was asked to rank them in order of urgency. What do you think keeps Michael Bloomberg up at night? Why finance? Why Bloomberg? What makes a good salesperson? What makes a good service person? CV rundown - what would you say are your main strengths? Overall, the interview was very friendly and tested your social skills as well as knowledge about BBG products and markets. In-house interview 2: Why do countries peg their currency? What are the reasons for Denmark's currency peg? What are the reasons for Switzerland's currency peg? Why did Switzerland peg their currency against the Euro instead of any other currency? What events led to the surge in Swedish interest rate in 1992? Why did that affect the interest rate specifically? How do you price a currency future using expected negative interest rate in one of the countries? What four instruments do central banks have to control the currency fluctuation? Tell us about a macroeconomic trend you have identified. What risks is a company like IKEA exposed to? Tell us about a successful sale you made - what was the value for the customer and what was the value for your company? It has been said that humility is the most valuable trait for a person working in sales - tell us about a time you were humble in sales. The interview was focusing on financial concepts and products. No questions really concerning Bloomberg's products or their business specifically. A few questions regarding sales experience. Often very specific questions and follow-up questions to justify answer.   Answer Question

Quant Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Firstly, I was interviewed by HR. Then, I was interviewed with two people in their London office: a senior quant and a director. I was asked to simply introduce my research work. Then, we went to the technical questions. The whole interview took about 1 hour. Most of the questions are programming questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several questions about coin tossing and some questions of programming (c++ related questions)   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

A phone interview mostly asking me about Java, JVM and design patterns. After the question and answer round, I had a online coding test which was pretty simple. Then onsite interview at their head office in London. A 1 hour session with two interviewers. One of them was playing games on her phone while I was getting interviewed. A lot of general questions about java, python, c++. Then, a coding question.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applyed on their Job Website, and they contacted me by email. We agreed on a date to do the interview by phone, because at the moment I wasn´t in London.

Interview Questions

• Why is bloomberg different than its competitors? 3 words to describe bloomberg Walk me through your resume What make a good salesperson?   Answer Question

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I ve been contacted by recruiter. Phone interview has been arranged. I passed the phone interview than I ve been invited to the london office. There were two devs who look pretty young to be honest. It occurred to me that they didn't have much interview experience. They had difficulty what they really wanna ask or hear from me. Lots of retain release questions how it works. You need to have vast knowledge about how things were before ARC. That is where I failed i believe.