Bloomberg L.P.

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
London, England (UK)

I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – one phone interview and one on-site interview. Basic questions on C, C++ and Java. Questions included on JVM, difference between all the 3 languages, storage used for each type of variable etc. Gave to debug a program and asked further questions on it. gave a question no. of ways to climb n stairs with 1 or 2 hops.

Interview Question – gave a puzzle to solve and asked to programme it   Answer Question

Recruitment Coordinator Interview

Recruitment Coordinator
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – I was invited for an initial interview. I was advised there would be a second interview for those short-listed to the next stage of the selection process however I was not shortlisted and received an email notifying me of this 5 days later. Both interviewers were pleasant and approachable. Staff at the reception were very frosty.

Interview Question – I was quite surprised that the interviewers asked a hypothetical question that was a particularly specific scenario - I completely appreciate 'situational questions' when used appropriately but this really didn't give an insight into much and was apparently based on an incident that happened once.

I was expecting more behavioural based questions but all of the questions were very general e.g. What do you do to organise yourself at work and meet deadlines?
  Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interview took 3 weeks in total: Would have taken less, but I kept asking for more time between interviews to prepare.
1. Application: Got reply next day and phone interview invitation
2. Phone Interview: 18 minutes/ questions: Why BBG? Why this role? What is the difference between average and good salesperson ( I gave example in addition to explanation)? Rank knowledge in finance 1 to 10?
In 15 minutes I got invitation to Face to face interview

3. Interview with Manager of Sales and one manager of Analytics: Questions: Why BBG? Tell about yourself? Sell terminal to a country where they do not have presence? a lot of technical questions/If I ended up talking about options,they would follow up and ask about it- so you can set your own interview :)

4. Interview face to face with Head of Sales and Head of Analytics: No technical questions at all/ Again, why BBG? Who would you contact in order to sell terminal to a Russian bank? What would you change about the way they work? what did I not liken during shadowing etc....Lasted longer than 1 hour- we ended up talking about everything. Very friendly!

Interview Question – What would you do as a manager at BBG if you were me? (Question from Head of Analytics)   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details – was contacted after one month, 1 hour interview with 2 persons ...Professional guys.Question :why you want to work for Bloomberg, why this role, how much you know about the company, this product etc...

Interview Question – nothing unusual ...   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details – phone interviews and face to face at london

quick check of your cv?
why bloomberg? why this position? what are your quality for this job? how do you sell a terminal over reuters?
convence me to exhange my iphone for your blackberry

Interview Question – what is a bond? what is put option? and they you to graph the payoff of severals financial products   Answer Question

GTEC Representative Interview

GTEC Representative
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – Phone Interview and Recruitment Event and Final Round. All steps are not difficult. But you will find that those are not the people you want to work with. They are expecting you to work OT and even work at home. And the 2-month training programme is very poor. You are supposed to make 100% more effort than what you are offered.

Interview Question – IT questions in the final round   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Interview Details – It was three interviews that had to be taken. First a phone call with a team member; basic questions like why Bloomberg, why this role, CV walkthrough, could non-financial companies use a Terminal and give some examples of those. 2nd round interview was a video-call conference out of Frankfurt(GER) to London, because I applied for a German speaker position. More difficult questions; interviewers were two team leaders: one out of Analytics and one out of Sales. A lot of the same questions as in the first interview, but much more in depth. Questions like what are Bloombergs biggest markets, BBGs biggest 5 customers in Germany, ratio of financial companies in client pool. Interview was 75% in English and 25% in German. Third round interview was a phone-conference with two Managers based in London. One Sales and one analytics manager. Way more difficult questions. They constantly try to get you out of your comfort zone by digging really deep in your skill and motivation profile. Just do your thing and they'll be happy. E.g. the manager asked me why I was the ideal candidate for the role, no matter what I told him he just kept saying "great, but everyone here has those skills". Stay cool in such situations, they'll try to get you super-nervous. I personally had the feeling that my third interview was horrible, but I got an offer anyway. Little joke at the end: my interviewer did some simple numeracy at the end like 1,5² or whats bigger: 40% of 20 or 20% of 40 (it's the same), he said he could hear me tapping one the calculator, I told him it was my brain that made such sounds while thinking (helps ease the inner nervousness). If you try to call sales or customer service to get infos, they won't tell you. Responses from HR always came within one or two days,

Interview Questions

• 5 biggest Bloomberg Markets and 5 biggest German customers   View Answer
  • How would you service a very very angry client who complains about wrong info displayed on the Terminal?   View Answer
  • If you were responsible for acquiring new clients in Hamburg(GER), which companies would you go to?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, because it was a Entry Level role.

Graduate Interview

Graduate
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Interview Details – Had an initial telephone interview by a manager. Asked a lot of questions about my previous experience 1-2 behavioural questions and why Bloomberg and how will you sell a Bloomberg terminal . Second round was at Bloomberg London office. Great office and atmosphere. 1 hour job shadow at a client service desk which initially looked interesting but then I realised that these people were just call centre type client service people. After job shadow, 1 hour intense interview by sales support manager and sales manager. Many behavioural questions regarding team and working under pressure. Again asked, how will you sell a Bloomberg terminal and how will you justify the cost of Bloomberg terminal. How will you sell a Bloomberg services in 60 seconds.

Interview Question – Very sales orientated questions and constant probing   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

Global Data Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – 1st in-house interview questions:
tell me more about yourself / What do you like about Bloomberg? / How do you imagine a typical day? / What does the data department? / Give me exemples of team work / What role do you usual have when you work in a team? / Why did you chose this MSc? / What are the skills that you have developed during past experiences that are relevant for the position? / Why don't you apply in an investment bank? / What are your short-medium-long term objectives? / 3 words to describe yourself?

Interview Question – What role do you usual have when you work in a team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – still waiting for the answer

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Interview

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Applied online through thir site, after 2-3 weeks got an email to schedule a phone interview.

A 40 min techinical interview followed. General questions about my CV and what did I know about Bloomberg. The technical part way 70% java and 30% C++. Some of the java questions: what is a JVM, advantages and drawbacks of the JVM, how does the GC work, how does a hash table work, basic types of collections. C++ part: differences between Java and C++ memory model, stack vs heap allocation, difference between pointers and references, friend keyword, private/protected/public visibility modifiers, differences between class and struct.

Shortly after the phone interview they invited my to their HQ in London for an in house intervirew. There I had 3 interviews: the first was with two junior software engineers, the second with a senior software engineer and the third one with someone from human resources. The technical part was almost completley C/C++ with the standard questions on pointer arithmetics, function invocation and algorithms.

Interview Question – After you formulate a solution to an algorithms question you have to write the C implementation on paper.   Answer Question