Bloomberg L.P.

3.1

353 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I applied online on their website. The process took 1 week. They e-mailed me to conduct a phone interview with me. It occured a week later. They asked the similar questions that are written here such as "Why Bloomberg? Why this position? What can you bring to the company? No other offers made. Some feedback would have been good as it's a entry-level job and I am not sure what I did wrong.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give me an example that proves you are good at multi-tasking?   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I met a Bloomberg recruiter at a career fair. Discussed 5 minutes about my resume (Previous work experience, Preferred programming languages, ...) and then scheduled two technical interviews the day after.

The first interview was with two young very cool guys from two different teams. I was asked basic (But sometimes tricky) questions about C and Java, mostly about memory allocation. I was also required to code a reverse string function, and to correct and improve an ugly piece of code written in C. They are definitely not here to trick you, and will guide you to the right solution if you make a mistake.

The second interview started with basic questions (Why Bloomberg, why do you want to be a software developer, ...), and I was then asked to design an algorithm (See below), and implement it in Java. As for the previous interview, the last 15 minutes were dedicated to a very nice conversation with the interviewer.

Two days letter I got contacted by a HR manager to schedule an interview with them. After a 10 minutes chat, they gave me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Design an algorithm to find the first unique element in an array.   View Answer
    • How is memory managed in Java. Explain what the garbage collector is.   Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate here. The package offered by Bloomberg is incredibly high for an internship!

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The first stage of the interview process was a 90 minute telephone and web browser interview that requires you to discuss and solve live programming problems. I enjoyed the process and the interviewer asked fair questions in ascertaining my experience level. At the time I figured that with the technical interview being so thorough that this part of the process would be over and the onsite interview would focus more on the job itself. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

I received a message informing me that I could interview on-site and that it would take 3-4 hours of my time. Expecting it to be difficult, I spent about three days preparing for every eventuality beforehand and showed up confident. To my surprise, I was told that we'd be doing a technical test first. Having already completed a thorough technical test, this immediately put me in a frustrated state of mind but I figured I'd play along and answered all the questions. This was actually less difficult than the phone interview, but the worst aspect is that it seemed completely pointless. None of the questions actually related to the job in any way, and I don't see how they could have assessed my competency to do the job by asking me questions about minor language aspects like type casting. When they asked if I had any questions, I didn't really have any because I'd already done that on the phone. So I ended the interview by repeating some of those questions so that they didn't think I was disinterested.

Then it got worse. They couldn't find a team leader to interview me after I had sat waiting in the cafeteria for 20 minutes. Apparently they checked the person's calendar (it was empty) and he was nowhere to be found and probably wasn't in the building. I had expected it too because there were some nervous glances exchanged when I asked who would be interviewing me early on in the process. I asked that the manager phone me so that I could complete the interview and then went home. What disgusted me the most is that nobody in HR came to talk to me to explain the situation or apologise for what had happened (the technical guy had to do it). Three days later I received an automated email of rejection and no explanation... no phone call... nothing.

So in retrospect, all the effort I had put into preparing for this interview had been a complete waste. The 3-4 hour interview turned out to be one hour of questions of no relevance to the job. All I learnt was that Bloomberg has no respect for a candidates time, their entire interview process is suspect, and they're rude and unprofessional. A real shame given that I was actually excited at the prospect of working there. Now nothing could be further from the truth.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty ranged from easy to medium, but I was concerned that on occasion they used methodologies that should never be used in modern practice. For instance, recasting class pointer types in live code. It gave me concern as to what their code might actually look like if they expect you to know such things.   Answer Question

Market Data Analyst, London Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online. Took them approx. 2 months to get back to me.

1st round phone interview: If you read all the questions here you should be fine. I was not asked anything beyond here. Question about markets, a few competence based questions and a few questions about my CV. Interview lasted approx. 30 min.

2nd round interview (in house/ in my case video conference): Went really weird. After I ran them through my CV there was very little about me and my skills, but mostly about my motivation to work for the job. The few questions were the standard silly interview questions like "what is your greatest weakness". The questions were "what do you think this role is about", "why this role", "why bloomberg", "where do you want to be in 5 years". Bloomberg is generally very keen on these motivational questions. I guess they were not happy about what I said because they kept on asking and repeating these questions. Over all, this was the first ever interview in which the interviewers talked me out of the job, by saying things like "I am not saying you should not work for bloomberg, but are you aware that the role mostly contains....".

Very unsurprisingly I did not get the job.

Overall, I was very happy about the interview process. It is a bit annoying that I had to wait for long without any reply. But once it was going it was an easy process, the HR was very nice, got back to me quickly, an the first time they called me to give me feedback on the interview without me asking for it. I was very happy about that.

Interview Questions
    • no special real difficult question beyond the scope of this forum   Answer Question

Financial Product Sales & Analytics - French Speaker - Entry-level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I) Online application: CV mandatory. Must answer two brief questions about your interest in joining BB and your skills for the position.
    Advisable to include cover letter and reference letter (if applicable).

II) Phone interview: a 30-min "speed-dating" style interview that will bombard you with questions in order to see how you can handle the pressure while at the same time showing your interest in joining BB and specifically the area & position as well as responding to some competitive market questions (why BB and not TH-RTRS, or FactSet...).
    Good advice: be succint and do not diverge from the topic of the question. Keep the calm in order to answer with clarity.

Interview Questions
    • Why should a client choose the BB terminal over a product from TH-RTRS or from FactSet? What is that makes it unique? (competitive analysis is helpful here)   Answer Question
    I have just passed this 2nd stage. Now waiting for the 3rd stage (1:1 interview). There can be 2nd 1:1 interview as well.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Went through an employee referral scheme - phone interview within 2 days, followed by an interview at the offices the following week. Very efficient process. The interview was with two employees and it lasted just over an hour. They asked motivation questions, why Bloomberg and not an investment bank? There was also a sales scenario with regards to the Bloomberg Terminal.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a terminal to an insurance underwriter?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

I was contacted by a recruitment consultant about the role.

The process was: Phone interview
    First round: 30 mins shadowing then 2:1 interview with team leaders - one from Sales, one from Analytics
    Second round: 2:1 interview with managers - one from Sales, one from Analytics
    Final round: Global head of Analytics

Phone interview - Walk through CV. Why are you applying for BBG? Why not investment banking? (I did a placement year at an investment bank) Why financial data company? What did you do during your placement year? What makes BBG different to competitors? Who are the main competitors? What do you understand from the role? What experience do you have in customer service? Why do all employees need to be in touch with financial markets?
    This was very short... Around 10 mins in total and I received a reply around 5-10 mins after the interview had finished.

First round - 30 mins shadowing on Analytics desk the interview with team leaders from Sales & Analytics
    Run through CV in more detail. Where else applied? (Drilled into this a lot) Why applied here vs consulting if you want a client facing role? What do you understand from the role? What will keep you motivated throughout your time in Analytics? What motivates you? What can you bring to the job? What is a news story that has interested you recently (but not Russia or Scottish Independence)?
    Role based questions: If you are on the Analytics desk and you receive queries from a trader, sales person and CEO at the same time, how do you deal with this? Where have you shown skills for Analytics? If you are in the Sales team and a client is butting back, how would you minimise losses to BBG against other competitors? How increase sales to a client who used BBG terminal and Factset (competitor)?
    Finance questions: If you are a company raising money, what are the pros and cons of using debt vs equity? What financial products to you have experience?
    This interview lasted for about one hour and received a reply the day after the interview.

Second round - 2:1 interview with managers from Sales and Analytics
    3 qualities which are required for a good sales person. How have you shown these qualities in the past? How applied/learnt about these qualities? What did you learn from your placement year? Why do you not want to work there (in an investment bank)? What in particular did you not enjoy about working there? What is an interesting news story that you have read recently? What has been done right/wrong in the past year in the markets? Which sector of our clients would be hit by a 'yes' vote in the Scottish referendum? Would our Scotland sales rep. at BBG be worried about the referendum vote? 3 qualities represented in Analytics. How portrayed these in the past?
    Sell me this pencil (giving some context of selling stationary to BBG Procurement department). Then feedback on this.
    How can BBG make their work more personalised over Analytics help? How can we make clients feel more valued? What cues could BBG pick up at a trader's desk if just popping in to upgrade software. Why would customers of clients trade on BGG instead of an in-house product? Why might prices be better over BBG? Why might traders want to use BBG instead of in-house product? What does the BBG terminal do? How are the US markets doing? What is the NYSE? Which market is this?
    How would you get to know a client? What process have you used in the past? How would you apply this to BBG Sales? What is a good Sales approach? What makes you stand out from other applicants?
    What did you enjoy the least about your previous customer service role? But, this is similar to the BBG role?
    This interview was around an hour long and I received a reply back a few hours after this interview.

Final interview - 1:1 video conference with Global Head of Analytics
    Quick run down of CV. Why BBG? Are you applying to investment banks? Where else applying? Where do you see yourself progressing in this role? Further questions about motivation to do some of my previous activities/skills. Any questions?
    This interview lasted for about 15 mins, including questions from me... I received a response after a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • What has been done right/wrong in the past year in the markets?
      Why would customers of clients trade on BGG instead of an in-house product?
        View Answer

Feeds Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

I applied online and was contacted for a telephonic interview in July 2014. The telephonic interview was pretty straightforward with few technical questions and resume walk through. After two days, I was asked for a date to come for the in house interview. I gave them a day 3 days ahead in the same week. I received no response from them on the confirmation. After periodic follow up from my side, finally they were able to set up an in house interview for me after 2 months! The recruiter also asked me to prepare a presentation for the interview and informed me that the interview would last for 2 hrs. On the interview day - I was welcomed well, taken to the conference room and was introduced to the other team members in New York via video conferencing. I was then told that the interview could last upto 5 hrs! They asked me few basic technical questions and behavioral questions. After 1.5 hrs, one of the interviewer told me that the other two interviewers are busy and walked me out to the reception where I realized that my interview is all done for the day! They did not ask about my presentation so I mailed it to the recruiter to pass it on to the team. The next day they emailed me that they are not offering me at this time.

Interview Questions
    • Being a Developer, why do you want to work for a Support position?   Answer Question

Mortgage Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

I got a telephone interview with Bloomberg on 2nd Sep 2014 after two weeks of online application. The lady was very nice and told me the interview would last about 30 mins (which was longer than I expected). The question is straightforward. Like what you are currently doing and why want to change? What did you do before? What is your strengths to the role? What do you know about Bloomberg? What do you usually do in a team? How to deal with a large data set? Who is the main competitor? Short term goal? What will you see yourself in 5 years? What will you do in the team? Give me an example of paying attention to detail and work to meet deadlines?Final question is your current salary and notice month.

Interview Questions
    • n/a, all questions you can find are in the Glassdoor interviews. But be careful that they really want to know why you want to join this team if you are currently working something very different.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

- online application
    - they got back to me the next day and arrange a telephone interview for 4 days later
    - telephone interview conducted by HR about 20 mins basic motivations and skill questions
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. What skills do you think you can offer?
    3. What does Bloomberg have over their competitors?
    4. When are you available to start if you are successful?
    5. Do you have experience of customer service?

- a week later invited to the 1st in house interview
    (30 min shadowing [use this time to your benefit to ask as many qu's as you can before the main interview as it is not a test!] + 1hr interview with 2 interviewers)
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. What products do Bloomberg offer?
    3. Who are Bloomberg's competitors?
    4. Have you ever experienced a time you could not please a customer?
    5. How has your past experience in customer service relate to what your position entails?
    6. What career path would you like to go down in the future?
    7. Why this position?
    8. What have you gathered the analytics team does from the shadowing you had?

- didn't make it to the 2nd in house interview :'(

The people were nice in general. Interviewers were nice, the man was a bit poker face and drills deeper into the answers you give, the woman was a bit more open, having more of a conversation with you.

Interview Questions
    • 1. How is the Ukraine crises affecting the Mumbai economy?
      2. What effect is the Scottish independence likely to have in China?
        Answer Question