Bloomberg L.P.

Japanese Technical Support Interview

Phone interview
    1st face to face
    2nd face to face

They call you later time than you suggested with really bad connection and saying "you said this is best number to reach you". Don't get shaken, just handle as you do at customer service on the phone. Show off your excellent customer service skill and handle nicely!

HR person said that she would contact me after a week but she didn't.

Global Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

After submitting online application i got the call the next day. The phone interview was easy. The questions were: tell us about Bloomberg, our products, competitors, about yourself, what is a good customer service for you, what are three important qualities that a good customer support representative must have? i found all answers on their website and on google. the same day i got an email inviting for inhouse interview in the office in London. I had two interviewers. Both were very nice and friendly. They asked the same questions as on the phone plus how to deal with irate customer, give an example when you had such situation and what were your actions, where do you see yourself in 3 years (suggest to reply - a team leader or head of customer support), why do you want to work at Bloomberg, give an example of a good and bad team work that you had, what do you do if a customer asks you a question and you don't know the answer?

Interview Questions
    • give an example of a good and bad team work that you had   Answer Question

Global Customer Support Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

First interview via the Phone. Once aced the interview I was invited at a recruitment event for group activities and shadowing and was interviewed again. Then another interview took place, it was a Skype interview.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Applied online, they got back to me the next day arranging a phone interview. The phone interview included quite general questions: why Bloomberg, why this position, what makes Bloomberg different, who are the main competitors, what is the Bloomberg's range of products. The only more or less unexpected question was how to sell a Bloomberg terminal to a non-financial company.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a Bloomberg terminal to a non-financial firm, e.g. BMW   Answer Question

Customer Support Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Email reply ; phone interview; interview with 2 individuals at the company; follow up interview.
    The candidates interviewing did not impress and appeared quite grumpy and unhappy with their current roles.

Interview Questions
    • Standards interview questions - nothing out of ordinary or surprising.   Answer Question

The position is a revolving door and it seemed that the retention rates were not high (which is concerning). Organization appeared quite bureaucratic.

C++ Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

First there was very detailed technical phone interview. They asked mainly about c++ and all the obscure technical details, but also about linux system, databases etc. Next step was video interview which was very short, it finished after two algorithms I had to write. I don't know if that was planned, or I was not doing very well. I didn't hear back after that from them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

There are four stages to apply for this role:
    1. Online Application
    2. Telephone Interview
    3. Panel Interview
    4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What research have you done lately?
      What is the difference between a forward and future?
      What is the difference between an option and future?
      What would you choose, an option or a future?
      What is an option premium?
      How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Process in 3 stages: 1. telephone interview, 2. face2face (or video conference) and a 3rd and final face2face interview.

Why finance and why Bloomberg (I studied marketing so it was sort of hard to convince them why I want to go into finance now)? What can Bloomberg give you what other companies cannot give you? Sell a Samsung phone to an iPhone owner and lover. Mention 3 arguments why Bloomberg should take you on.

Telephone interview:
    It is rather short and they are bombarding you with questions just like why Bloomberg, why finance, what does Bloomberg do, who are our competitors, why would a company use a Bloomberg terminal, give an overview over the Ukraine crisis.

1. F2F interview:
    Similar questions as telephone interview, digging a bit deeper. They really want to know why you want to work for them and what your sales and people skills are. If you don't have a finance background be honest and tell them you're not an expert but you are keen to learn and be prepared to answer why you want to learn more about finance! They also ask you about different scenarios at the help desk and how you would handle them.

I am still waiting to hear back from them whether I made it to the 3rd stage or not!

Interview Questions
    • Why finance now and not marketing or communications (which are my degrees)?
      What does Bloomberg give you that another company couldn't give you?
      What other jobs did you apply for so far?

C++ Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Applied online. Received an email after about 2 weeks for a telephone interview, followed by a face to face interview at London office (after 2 weeks of telephone interview). The questions were fairly easy. Only on C++. The interviewers were very friendly throughout the process. The office is beautiful, especially impressed by the cafeteria! :P

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview:
          Difference between call by pointer and reference
          Polymorphism
          Vptr, virtual table- where is it stored
          Size of an empty class-why? With a function? With a virtual function?
          Constructors
          Copy constructor
              Static members and static functions
      In house:
             Program to reverse an integer array.
             Program to generate a random number in the range 1 to 200 with equal probability. Given a function that always returns 1 or 0.
            Inheritance
            Question on logical operators

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

There was continuous focus on the ethos of the firm-I was asked why do you want to work for Bloomberg?, Why the role of Sales? How has your previous work or academic background made you suitable for the culture of the firm? How would you sell a Bloomberg Terminal to a firm like Tesco?