Bloomberg L.P.

3.1

383 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analytics Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I went to an open door event where they were showing what the job was about - at the end it's a customer care of very high level. You interact with customers mainly on chat. I spoke with two Italian people, very good people who were asking me why I wanted to change my career to finance (I was coming from a different background) I told them I wanted to try to something new, different. They started to ask me questions about financial terms which I only partially knew. At the end we kinda of agreed that I didn't want the job and they didn't want me to do the job - it's a win2win situation

Interview Questions
    • Explain strategy of European Central Bank about interests / difference between a future and a forward   Answer Question

Market Data Analyst, London Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online. Took them approx. 2 months to get back to me.

1st round phone interview: If you read all the questions here you should be fine. I was not asked anything beyond here. Question about markets, a few competence based questions and a few questions about my CV. Interview lasted approx. 30 min.

2nd round interview (in house/ in my case video conference): Went really weird. After I ran them through my CV there was very little about me and my skills, but mostly about my motivation to work for the job. The few questions were the standard silly interview questions like "what is your greatest weakness". The questions were "what do you think this role is about", "why this role", "why bloomberg", "where do you want to be in 5 years". Bloomberg is generally very keen on these motivational questions. I guess they were not happy about what I said because they kept on asking and repeating these questions. Over all, this was the first ever interview in which the interviewers talked me out of the job, by saying things like "I am not saying you should not work for bloomberg, but are you aware that the role mostly contains....".

Very unsurprisingly I did not get the job.

Overall, I was very happy about the interview process. It is a bit annoying that I had to wait for long without any reply. But once it was going it was an easy process, the HR was very nice, got back to me quickly, an the first time they called me to give me feedback on the interview without me asking for it. I was very happy about that.

Interview Questions
    • no special real difficult question beyond the scope of this forum   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

got the phone interview the day after submitting the online app. very efficient. Just simple questions regarding your CV, why Bloomberg, why this role, your skills...Now still during the process with them.

Interview Questions
    • sell the terminal to non-financial institutions   View Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied through Bloomberg website - Received email correspondence to book me in for a telephonic interview - 15 min interview discussing about walk through CV, what do you know about Bloomberg and role - was invited for a face to face interview at Bloomberg London

Interview Questions
    • Technical Questions related to Fixed Income & Derivatives   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online and it took 3 days for HR to contact me to set up a telephone interview.
    The telephone interview lasted 15 minutes and surprisingly was not from HR but a manager within the sales department. I had not prepare for this.
    The questions the interviewer asked were mainly about my previous experiences, why Bloomberg, why sales ... general questions.
    The next step is a more deep 1-hour F2F interview but I was not short-listed anyway (received a reply back in one business day instead of 3 business days).

Interview Questions
    • To which type of companies would you sell Bloomberg terminals to?   Answer Question

Global Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

1 week after applying on the website for the position, l received an email from HR lady asking me to schedule a phone-interview which was set for 1 week later. On the phone interview, at first l was very nervous and thought l was done but then l got the conversation kept going. the questions were as expected, Why BB? What attracted you to this position? BB products and competitiors. Few days later l received another email inviting me to in-house interview.

The in-house interview is going to be at the end of next week so l don't know what will happen yet. l really would like to get the job.

Interview Questions
    • You have different background why do you want to change it?   Answer Question

Financial Product Sales & Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

1st interview (phone): Lasted 20 minutes. Why do you want to work for bloomberg? CV walkthrough. Easy overall.

2nd interview: videoconference, 2 to 1 (one from sales, one from analytics), 45 minutes. Who are our competitors? Why do you want to work for bloomberg? Why is the bloomberg platform better than thomson reuters eikon? who would you sell the BB platform in a country where we have no customers? Easy overall.

3rd interview: at the london office. 30 minutes shadowing a relatively new hire, followed by 45 minutes 2 to 1 interview (both from sales). Tell me why you would be a good salesman for bloomberg. Who are our competitors? What is the key selling point for Bloomberg's chat system? What are your weaknesses? (that's actually a pretty shite question I would've expected from someone in HR).Overall no hard or technical questions, really.

I'm disappointed because I was not offered a job but I don't know what I did or said wrong; I had the feeling all 3 interviews went just as well, so it's frustrating to get no feedback upon rejection.
    I'd done lots of preparation on several economic topics and financial instruments, which according to other interviewees on glassdoor are usually asked in these interviews, but I was never asked any of these questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the key selling point for Bloomberg's chat system?   View Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I applied online on their website. The process took 1 week. They e-mailed me to conduct a phone interview with me. It occured a week later. They asked the similar questions that are written here such as "Why Bloomberg? Why this position? What can you bring to the company? No other offers made. Some feedback would have been good as it's a entry-level job and I am not sure what I did wrong.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give me an example that proves you are good at multi-tasking?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The first stage of the interview process was a 90 minute telephone and web browser interview that requires you to discuss and solve live programming problems. I enjoyed the process and the interviewer asked fair questions in ascertaining my experience level. At the time I figured that with the technical interview being so thorough that this part of the process would be over and the onsite interview would focus more on the job itself. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

I received a message informing me that I could interview on-site and that it would take 3-4 hours of my time. Expecting it to be difficult, I spent about three days preparing for every eventuality beforehand and showed up confident. To my surprise, I was told that we'd be doing a technical test first. Having already completed a thorough technical test, this immediately put me in a frustrated state of mind but I figured I'd play along and answered all the questions. This was actually less difficult than the phone interview, but the worst aspect is that it seemed completely pointless. None of the questions actually related to the job in any way, and I don't see how they could have assessed my competency to do the job by asking me questions about minor language aspects like type casting. When they asked if I had any questions, I didn't really have any because I'd already done that on the phone. So I ended the interview by repeating some of those questions so that they didn't think I was disinterested.

Then it got worse. They couldn't find a team leader to interview me after I had sat waiting in the cafeteria for 20 minutes. Apparently they checked the person's calendar (it was empty) and he was nowhere to be found and probably wasn't in the building. I had expected it too because there were some nervous glances exchanged when I asked who would be interviewing me early on in the process. I asked that the manager phone me so that I could complete the interview and then went home. What disgusted me the most is that nobody in HR came to talk to me to explain the situation or apologise for what had happened (the technical guy had to do it). Three days later I received an automated email of rejection and no explanation... no phone call... nothing.

So in retrospect, all the effort I had put into preparing for this interview had been a complete waste. The 3-4 hour interview turned out to be one hour of questions of no relevance to the job. All I learnt was that Bloomberg has no respect for a candidates time, their entire interview process is suspect, and they're rude and unprofessional. A real shame given that I was actually excited at the prospect of working there. Now nothing could be further from the truth.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty ranged from easy to medium, but I was concerned that on occasion they used methodologies that should never be used in modern practice. For instance, recasting class pointer types in live code. It gave me concern as to what their code might actually look like if they expect you to know such things.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I met a Bloomberg recruiter at a career fair. Discussed 5 minutes about my resume (Previous work experience, Preferred programming languages, ...) and then scheduled two technical interviews the day after.

The first interview was with two young very cool guys from two different teams. I was asked basic (But sometimes tricky) questions about C and Java, mostly about memory allocation. I was also required to code a reverse string function, and to correct and improve an ugly piece of code written in C. They are definitely not here to trick you, and will guide you to the right solution if you make a mistake.

The second interview started with basic questions (Why Bloomberg, why do you want to be a software developer, ...), and I was then asked to design an algorithm (See below), and implement it in Java. As for the previous interview, the last 15 minutes were dedicated to a very nice conversation with the interviewer.

Two days letter I got contacted by a HR manager to schedule an interview with them. After a 10 minutes chat, they gave me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Design an algorithm to find the first unique element in an array.   View Answers (3)
    • How is memory managed in Java. Explain what the garbage collector is.   Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate here. The package offered by Bloomberg is incredibly high for an internship!