Bloomingdale's

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Bloomingdale's

Interview Details – they asked why blooming dale's, they asked if I have ever had experience with analytics and asked to give an example.

Interview Question – do I know about the rewards program   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview Details – 2 interviews on college campus. Then online personality and critical reasoning assessments. Then superday in NYC headquarters that consisted of 2 buyer interviews, 1 HR interview, and 1 group interview. Followed by a retail math test. Then you're done!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you worked with someone who didn't like you   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through the on campus interview process. Had my first round interview had 2 interviews on campus with the recruiter and a buyer where they asked mostly behavioral questions and had an online retail math assessment test. The final round was in the executive offices where it was a whole day spent on various things that included a retail math assessment, shadowing a buyer, lunch, a group buying exercise, and 3 more behavioral interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you convinced somebody using numbers.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in October 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online and received email notification of an interview. The interview consisted of a personality/IQ test (written) and 3 1:1 interviews. Very basic and standard questions, but the 3 people had very different personalities.

Interview Question – What was the most challenging situation you've been in?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in May 2011.

Interview Details – Bloomingdale's stresses that they like to promote from the inside first. I took a job here with the hopes of advancing to a more well-suited position.

The first thing I noticed was that many of the managers/assistant managers I spoke with had less education and experience than I did. I asked many how they were able to get their positions, because I wanted to advance to a higher position more in my rank. Many readily admitted that they obtained the position partly or solely because they knew someone (an uncle, for example). High levels of nepotism? I don't know, you can decide after speaking with people.

I could not secure an interview for the position I wanted, so I started to network like a madman. I finally realized I also had a family friend who knew someone who worked at the company. He was able to secure me an interview. Which made me wonder- did I only get the interview because I was able to find someone with an "in."

The interview process is very long- unnecessarily. And, HR will not get back to you on whether or not you have moved onto the next step in the process. I had to actually call to find out, which in my opinion is extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate (had other offers on the table too!) since I had been in the interview process for about a month - AND was an internal candidate.

My advice: get to know people who can advance your career. Do you expect to be promoted based on your skills, advanced education, work experience and potential. It's about who you know - and how much they like you in my opinion.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an assistant buyer?   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!