Bloomingdale's Assistant Buyer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview

The Bloomingdale's recruiters came to my college campus to speak on a panel and after speaking with them and submitting a resume and cover letter I was given an interview at Bloomingdale's offices in New York

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomingdale's

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through my University, did 2 1:1 interviews back to back on campus. Got called back to do an onsite in New York, had 3 1:1 interviews, lunch, retail math test, and group project. The people in HR are great and it was all well organized, if you're prepared it's not bad at all. They also have you shadow a person in the buying program. They emphasize that they want to see if you would be a good fit but also to make sure you know what you're getting into. Good experience.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a lot about specific fashion trends, and about Bloomies in the news and what was going on with the company. Do your research.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomingdale's (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

First rounds, I interviewed with Bloomingdales on my college campus. It was typical behavioral questions and they mostly looed for fit within the company. Try to dress more fashionably than you would with other interviews. Got a callback for second rounds and they flew me out to NYC. Second rounds took up the whole day and it was 3 individual interviews with people from varying levels of seniority and then a group interview. They wanted more elaboration on certain experiences and also asked fit questions.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Interview

they asked why blooming dale's, they asked if I have ever had experience with analytics and asked to give an example.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview

2 interviews on college campus. Then online personality and critical reasoning assessments. Then superday in NYC headquarters that consisted of 2 buyer interviews, 1 HR interview, and 1 group interview. Followed by a retail math test. Then you're done!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked with someone who didn't like you   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview

I submitted my resume through the on campus interview process. Had my first round interview had 2 interviews on campus with the recruiter and a buyer where they asked mostly behavioral questions and had an online retail math assessment test. The final round was in the executive offices where it was a whole day spent on various things that included a retail math assessment, shadowing a buyer, lunch, a group buying exercise, and 3 more behavioral interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you convinced somebody using numbers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Bloomingdale's stresses that they like to promote from the inside first. I took a job here with the hopes of advancing to a more well-suited position.

The first thing I noticed was that many of the managers/assistant managers I spoke with had less education and experience than I did. I asked many how they were able to get their positions, because I wanted to advance to a higher position more in my rank. Many readily admitted that they obtained the position partly or solely because they knew someone (an uncle, for example). High levels of nepotism? I don't know, you can decide after speaking with people.

I could not secure an interview for the position I wanted, so I started to network like a madman. I finally realized I also had a family friend who knew someone who worked at the company. He was able to secure me an interview. Which made me wonder- did I only get the interview because I was able to find someone with an "in."

The interview process is very long- unnecessarily. And, HR will not get back to you on whether or not you have moved onto the next step in the process. I had to actually call to find out, which in my opinion is extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate (had other offers on the table too!) since I had been in the interview process for about a month - AND was an internal candidate.

My advice: get to know people who can advance your career. Do you expect to be promoted based on your skills, advanced education, work experience and potential. It's about who you know - and how much they like you in my opinion.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Submitted resume online and received email notification of an interview. The interview consisted of a personality/IQ test (written) and 3 1:1 interviews. Very basic and standard questions, but the 3 people had very different personalities.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging situation you've been in?   Answer Question