Bloomingdale's Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Aug 1, 2015

2.9

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Had to submit an online resume. Waited for call for interview. It was scheduled and it went well. Now waiting to hear when the start date is. There will be a prehiring assessment test as well. Prepared very well for interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   2 Answers

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

A group of interviewers in one room, I felt I was a child instead of of interviewing to a career position. The interviewers were seeing to be very uncomfortable and you could tell the people who could (Liers) talk without being uncomfortable were the people who went onto the next step of the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working in a team environment.   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

have a large group interview first, asked by one HR manager, we had 6 people sitting around, answered the questions one by one, all behavior questions. I was kind of my first sales interview, I was a bit nervous but I tried my best to answer them. Passed the first round interview, HR told me to meet the lingerie manager immediately. I was led to a small room where she asked about my resume and any achievements related to sales. Also she asked several situation questions.

Interview Questions

• How can you make a customer buy a 300 dolloar lingerie?   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Arranged interview was group of 8 ppl or so , a seeing questions and giving imput . Second interview with manage and offer is made. Training laser two days where they cover company policies , show us how to access network and loss prevention lecture. All questions are answered and a tour of store is given .

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

It's very nice interviewing process. every question is simple and can be well prepared. You go there and the HR will bring you into a smaller room. a ten minutes session of interview. also, they will ask about your fashion sense, such as what the one thing that you will suggest for this spring season.however my schedule have to be changed after the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL).

Interview

applied online and was contacted by hr soon after. super unorganized interview process. had to travel to chicago and come in i believe 5 different times to meet everyone and be interviewed by them. By the time i was interviewed by the head hr manager we sat down, she opened my file and asked me what position i was interviewing for because she didn't even know! And as if that wasn't bad enough, after I told her I was interviewing for SMT, she goes on to tell me that oh well unfortunately I just filled all the SMT positions (whyyy was I there then I have no idea). When all was said and done, I was offered a Specialist position with the promise that opportunities to become SMT would arise quickly in the future. LIE. after working there for about 10 months and being completely miserable I finally quit because this company is the definition of micro-management and you will have absolutely no life if you work there. I couldnt even get a simple weekend off for my siblings wedding.

Shoe Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL) in October 2012.

Interview

Multi step process, about 3 in person interviews and it lasted for a period of about 2-3 weeks. It began with a phone interview and then I had to interview with an hr assistant, then the hr manager, and finally with the department manager. They also asked what skills I felt were most important and pertinent .

Interview Questions

• How would you sell me this pencil was asked along with questions about previous sales experience. Although I must admit that the newest hires had very little to no sales experience. It also appeared to me that they are beginning to hire people who are younger and younger. It seemed like they were pushing out all of the employees who had been there for years.   1 Answer

Sales Manager Trainee (Stage I) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online and was pleased to hear back, so I set up a first interview online and went in and met with a human resources assistant. She asked me a few basic questions and wrote down my answers. She was nice and it seemed like it went well. She then told me she wanted me to meet with the ready to wear manager for a second interview, and told me she would be in touch in about a week since the managers were all in meetings. I didn't hear back for a couple weeks, but then finally was called in for the second interview. I went in and did not meet with the RTW manager, but the HR manager. Right off the bat it was bad because she refused to shake my hand. Then she actually told me first thing that the position wasn't available anymore, so I didn't know what I was doing there anymore. Clearly she had not read my resume or cover letter. She had no questions to ask me and talked for a very long time about how difficult the position was and everything it entailed, even though she already told me it was unavailable. Overall she was rude and had no business being in HR. I wasted my time and money by paying $27 to park in the garage in the city. Very poor opinion of this company now. It worked out because I got a job with a competing department store down the street.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

I did 5 1-on-1 interviews and a critical thinking online assessment in the middle of the 5 interviews. 1st with an HR person, 2nd with a group manager, 3rd with the HR manager, then the assessment, 4th with another group manager, and last with the store manager. The assessment is taken at home and is untimed, so it wasn't too bad, took about 45 min. The entire process took me a month and a half because I could only schedule interviews on my days off from the current position I had, so sometimes my interviews were spread out over a week or 2. The HR manager was also very busy traveling to NY a lot so it took some time to follow up and schedule interviews sometimes. All the interviews were fairly easy-going with typical retail scenarios and questions based on my resume, no set list of questions they read off of. There is a big focus on clientelling and driving sales. Some of them took notes during my interview, some of them didn't. Overall a good experience, but long process, which makes sense considering they are one of the most well known and competitive retailers.

Interview Questions

• What does a client mean to you?   2 Answers

Negotiation

There is no negotiation because the starting salary is the same for all managers doing the SMiT program.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

I was excited to receive a call back from my resume and coverletter, we scheduled an interview for 5 days later. I thoroughly prepared for the interview. Upon arriving, it seemed the interviewer had not read my coverletter and did not know which position I'd applied for (this was detailed in my coverletter). He basically said that although I'd had retail and management experience (8 years), I did not have "high end" experience, something the job description did not list. He reinforced the fact that no one would be accepted into the SMiT position without such 'high end' experience. He urged me to reapply as a sales associate (this for someone's who've managed 4 different retail chains). The only difference between what I'd done in the past and what I was to do now was keeping a client book, although I'd done that in the past as well. Apparently, that alone was important to rule me out of the candidacy. He was however very engaging and seemed to love the company and her job. The staff, who greeted me before my interview was also very friendly. Advice: if you don't have 'high end (not specialty retail)' experience for this position, don't waste your time. The SMiT is broken down into 4 phases, the first being a sales associate phase. However, you can't enter the sales associate phase of the SMiT program unless you've been a Bloomingdale's sales associate. I asked him to reconsider and he said I needed to start at the bottom and would need to apply for a sales position, online. If I was as unqualified as he thought, why even call me in for the interview?