Bloomingdale's Interview Questions & Reviews in Chicago, IL

2.8

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

applied online and was contacted by hr soon after. super unorganized interview process. had to travel to chicago and come in i believe 5 different times to meet everyone and be interviewed by them. By the time i was interviewed by the head hr manager we sat down, she opened my file and asked me what position i was interviewing for because she didn't even know! And as if that wasn't bad enough, after I told her I was interviewing for SMT, she goes on to tell me that oh well unfortunately I just filled all the SMT positions (whyyy was I there then I have no idea). When all was said and done, I was offered a Specialist position with the promise that opportunities to become SMT would arise quickly in the future. LIE. after working there for about 10 months and being completely miserable I finally quit because this company is the definition of micro-management and you will have absolutely no life if you work there. I couldnt even get a simple weekend off for my siblings wedding.

Sales Manager Trainee (Stage I) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

I applied online and was pleased to hear back, so I set up a first interview online and went in and met with a human resources assistant. She asked me a few basic questions and wrote down my answers. She was nice and it seemed like it went well. She then told me she wanted me to meet with the ready to wear manager for a second interview, and told me she would be in touch in about a week since the managers were all in meetings. I didn't hear back for a couple weeks, but then finally was called in for the second interview. I went in and did not meet with the RTW manager, but the HR manager. Right off the bat it was bad because she refused to shake my hand. Then she actually told me first thing that the position wasn't available anymore, so I didn't know what I was doing there anymore. Clearly she had not read my resume or cover letter. She had no questions to ask me and talked for a very long time about how difficult the position was and everything it entailed, even though she already told me it was unavailable. Overall she was rude and had no business being in HR. I wasted my time and money by paying $27 to park in the garage in the city. Very poor opinion of this company now. It worked out because I got a job with a competing department store down the street.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in March 2012.

I did 5 1-on-1 interviews and a critical thinking online assessment in the middle of the 5 interviews. 1st with an HR person, 2nd with a group manager, 3rd with the HR manager, then the assessment, 4th with another group manager, and last with the store manager. The assessment is taken at home and is untimed, so it wasn't too bad, took about 45 min. The entire process took me a month and a half because I could only schedule interviews on my days off from the current position I had, so sometimes my interviews were spread out over a week or 2. The HR manager was also very busy traveling to NY a lot so it took some time to follow up and schedule interviews sometimes. All the interviews were fairly easy-going with typical retail scenarios and questions based on my resume, no set list of questions they read off of. There is a big focus on clientelling and driving sales. Some of them took notes during my interview, some of them didn't. Overall a good experience, but long process, which makes sense considering they are one of the most well known and competitive retailers.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation because the starting salary is the same for all managers doing the SMiT program.

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in May 2011.

I was excited to receive a call back from my resume and coverletter, we scheduled an interview for 5 days later. I thoroughly prepared for the interview. Upon arriving, it seemed the interviewer had not read my coverletter and did not know which position I'd applied for (this was detailed in my coverletter).

He basically said that although I'd had retail and management experience (8 years), I did not have "high end" experience, something the job description did not list. He reinforced the fact that no one would be accepted into the SMiT position without such 'high end' experience. He urged me to reapply as a sales associate (this for someone's who've managed 4 different retail chains). The only difference between what I'd done in the past and what I was to do now was keeping a client book, although I'd done that in the past as well. Apparently, that alone was important to rule me out of the candidacy.

He was however very engaging and seemed to love the company and her job. The staff, who greeted me before my interview was also very friendly.

Advice: if you don't have 'high end (not specialty retail)' experience for this position, don't waste your time. The SMiT is broken down into 4 phases, the first being a sales associate phase. However, you can't enter the sales associate phase of the SMiT program unless you've been a Bloomingdale's sales associate. I asked him to reconsider and he said I needed to start at the bottom and would need to apply for a sales position, online.

If I was as unqualified as he thought, why even call me in for the interview?

Interview Questions

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!