Bloomingdale's

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cosmetics Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in May 2014.

I showed up prepared with my resume, references, and positive, cheerful attitude ready for a group interview as stated in the email I was sent. I showed up to a little lounge where one other person was waiting to be interviewed. She was much older than me, but for the age of 19 I have remarkable experience (I've been working in retail since I was 14, plus I went to one of the best makeup schools in the country). We discussed our experience and she even complimented my makeup skills that were apparent from the way that I presented myself. Soon a lady with an unwelcoming, lousy attitude comes into the room and calls out her name, so the process had changed and it was a one on one interview now, no big deal. I just could not believe the attitude of the lady that was going to be interviewing me, she didn't seem like she should be representing something like Bloomingdales by the way she carried herself and her makeup was very drag queen like, I was somewhat offended by this because I had prepared myself so much to have her decide my fate. When it was my turn I shook her had with a smile and she looked fed up already...she took me to a room, and I offered her a nicer copy of my resume which she refused and skimmed a copy that I had sent online instead....she barely seemed interested in me and I'm almost definite that it's because of my age (19) despite my resume. She didn't want me to expand on any of my past experience so I decided to just tell her myself. Then she just asked me for my happiest retail experience. Literally one question. She made a rude sarcastic laugh at my education stating that I attended Makeup Designory which is one of the best makeup schools in the country. This woman couldn't have cared less about me or my experience, left me with a bad vi be and was rude and ignorant the whole way through. Not what I expected from Bloomingdales

Interview Questions
  • What was your happiest retail experience?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomingdale's

Cosmetics Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in December 2012.

I applied online but was also referred to the location specifically and my resume was sent to the department manager. About two weeks later, I received a call asking me to come in for an interview. On my way to the store, I got a call from the department manager telling me that there was a meeting she forgot about, so I ended up being about an hour or more earlier than I needed to be there, but was already half way there when I received the call. When I entered the store at the time, the manager was still unavailable, so I got to meet with the counter manager for the line I applied for. She was great! We got along really well. By the time we were finished with our conversation, I was able to meet with the department manager and had a second interview, basically. This was great because it was a two-birds one-stone sort of deal!! Both interviews were relatively short, about 15-20 minutes each. There will be a lot of questions about prior experience in cosmetics and commission.

Interview Questions
    Was able to negotiate a surprisingly high hourly rate, in addition to a 3% commission on all cosmetics sales. Don't be afraid to negotiate: Especially if you have a lot of experience and feel you are worth it.