Bloomingdale's Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.5

Buying Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomingdale's.

I was referred by a professional in the company. After the referral, HR wanted to conduct a 30 minute phone screen. Then I completed an online application, personality assessment, and retail math assessment. After that, I had 1 online interview with HR and another with a professional in merchandising. Process took a few months and HR was nice. They are definitely looking for professional, passionate people.

Interview Questions
    • Initial Phone Screen: General Questions about past work experiences
      First Online Interview: Behavioral Questions & Questions about Fashion Industry (Ex: Favorite designer and why, What weaknesses does your favorite designer have, etc.)
      Second Online Interview: Specific Questions about interest in industry and company
        Answer Question
    No negotiation with salary, no relocation assistance, no housing assistance.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and got a quick response for an interview. I wasn't aware that Bloomies were going to have 3 people interview me that day. One by HR manager, another one by the store manager and last one by department manager. They all seemed pre-occupied with whatever that was going on at the store. Perhaps, not enough people in the management?! Not to mention, besides the HR manager, the other managers were not aware of meeting with me. (HR manager happened to ask them very last moment.) I was interviewed by all of them separately. Questions were the usual retail ones...

After the interview, I got a call less than a week.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation you dealt with in retail environment   Answer Question

Buying Interview

I interviewed on campus. There was only one round- 2 30 minute interviews with one Macy's and one Bloomingdale's employee. It was very behavioral. No case or marketing questions. overall very easy interview process. heard back within 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • tell me a time you failed, tell me a time you made a decision with hard numbers to support it, why bloomingdales   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Two interviews, first one is with the store manager and second one is with the department manager. The managers were very nice and the job availability is negotiable. Interviews were short and fast. I was hired the same day as my second interview.

Interview Questions
    Wasn't negotiable with the pay they have everything for you.

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

On campus interview process - invited to interview on campus with a pre-interview information session the night before for those who had been offered an interview. Conducted 2 back-to-back 30 minute interviews (1 with a Macy's representative, 1 with Bloomingdale's representative). Asked to rank preference between the 2 options. All behavioral, Bloomingdale's interviewer was very intimidating but no particularly difficult questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was your least favorite thing about your previous summer internship?   Answer Question

Human Resources Administrator FT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomingdale's in October 2014.

This company is extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate of their applicants. They sent me an invitation to interview at their Tyson's Corned location. 24 hours prior to my interview they sent me a follow up email confirming my appointment with them. I drove 2.5 hours for the interview and they called me 2 hours before my interview and said the position is no longer available.

Seasonal Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in October 2014.

Was asked to meet at HR at flagship store. Was pre screened by a non Bloomingdales staff person. Was asked about my work history, my strengths and about my customer service attitude. I was then told to wait and was then introduced to the hiring manager. She asked me to detail a memory of great customer service I had experienced and to explain a bad customer service moment I experienced and what I learned from both. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a time you experienced great customer service?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate scheduling.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackensack, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackensack, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomingdale's in October 2014.

Very quick and easy questions , they only offered seasonal positions in kids department, the general manager was very nice and didn't make me feel uncomfortable, offered part time job as soon as we were done talking

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to go beyond consumer expectations   Answer Question

$10 and hour no benefits

Guest Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomingdale's in October 2014.

It was a small group interview. The hiring manager was very approachable, friendly & professional. This was my first interview. He asked us 3 questions; why Bloomingdales, which top 3 departments do you want to work in, an interesting thing about you. If you could take only one thing & go anywhere forever, where would you go & what would be the one thing? Tell about a recent situation that taught you something, & how you're using that lesson today.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a recent situation ( personal or professional ) that taught you something, & how you're using that lesson today.   Answer Question

PR and Events Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's.

This was an initial phone interview. They asked a lot about the events part of the job. This seemed to be the main focus of the position. The man doing the interview was a nice guy that was actually working at Bloomingdale's corporate office in NYC, so prepare for East Coast timing for the call. My best advice would be to prepare to be asked about events that you exclusively have managed as opposed to assisting manage. It also did not seem as though working within fashion was THAT important...although I am sure a plus.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your most successful event and explain why you consider it so?

Describe a time when you came across some issues within the planning of the event...how did you solve it?
        View Answer