Bloomingdale's

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

2.5

Department Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in November 2009.

The interview lasted one hour. The AGM who interviewed me keep jumping from one subject to the next, so there was no flow or cohesion to the interview. It consisted of her asking a question, barely giving me time to go into depth about my work experience and strengths pertaining to the question she asked. Then she would move on to another completely unrelated question. She was not interested in what I had to say and I did not feel I could break the ice with her. It was very unsettling and I could not wait to get out of there.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do on the first day of work?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with an associate who steals sales from co-workers?   View Answer

Buyer Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in April 2010.

4 hours of testing including personality and skills test. 4 interviews over the course of 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you see yourself working in Buying? Have you had retail experience? If not, why?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself working and what do you see yourself doing in 5 years?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Womens Shoes Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in January 2007.

It was pretty basic only thing was that they give you like a 45min SAT type test before your interview.IDk what for but it was pretty difficult had me thinking alot.So bring a pen and be prepared to think not just talk about yourslef all day.

Interview Questions

Not old enough at the time need to be at least 18 to work in commission field at blomingdales

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in July 2010.

I had 2 interviews in one day i first met with the HR Manager then a Sales Manager

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in August 2008.

I filled out an application online and was called to come to a career open house at the store. I was given a test to take and put in a room with about 10 other people. I received a call telling me that I had scored well on the test and they wanted to have me come in for an interview. I met with a girl from HR and was asked a lot of typical interview questions. I think I messed up on the 5 years from now question by telling her my actual aspirations of becoming a buyer.

Sales Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in April 2011.

I applied online and was contacted through an e-mail to go through prompt's to set up an interview. I arrived to the location and the woman at the desk was pleasant. They had me wait around until the interviewer came. She wasn't a manager for the department I was applying for. She shot question after question at me, and the questions had no flow. She made me feel like I was wasting her time, like she wasn't listening to me, and that she wasn't in the mood to be doing this. She was condescending and made attempts to "put me on the spot" with questions. I must say that I felt pretty insulted after that interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a client and a customer?   View Answer
    • Explain a time you used your personality to help a customer make a purchase.   View Answer
    • So you've explained how you make them feel good about themselves, what would you do if a customer wanted to buy something that looked horrible on them? How would you tell them that it looked bad?   View Answer
    • If a customer didn't like anything you showed them, what would you do?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in June 2011.

Met with the head of HR, as well as one of the floor managers and her supervisor. The HR manager was very personable, and asked questions about how I approach the retail experience. For example, he asked me why I wanted to work with the company and what my interpretation is of a client versus a customer. In my next interview with the manager of the floor on which I desired to work, she asked me questions regarding the store and my perception of what it would be like to work there. Because I was referred to this company by an employee, we also talked about some of the insights she had given me in regards to the job. My third interview was with one of the store's sales managers, which was a little intimidating because I knew she held a position very close to the top of the totem pole. My interview with her was similar to the interview I had with the HR manager, in that she asked me a series of questions. She asked me to tell her about a time when I was helping a number of customers at once, and how I managed it. She also asked me to tell her about a time I met a sales goal, a time I was unsatisfied with my performance, and so on and so forth.

Interview Questions
    • Name two or three specific instances in which you broadened your product knowledge or delved into fashion trends. How did you go about gathering your information?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had to convince your coworkers of an idea you had. How did you convince them?   Answer Question

Sales Associate-Women's Shoes(Soho) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in February 2013.

I first applied on line and was contacted via email to schedule a time to come meet with HR. When I arrived I was greeted and we spent time going over what experience I had and what department I was interested in working. I was then asked to come back the following day to meet with the selling manager. After I met with him I met with the Assistant store manager who was very pleasant. Her interaction seemed to be just to confirm that I had same level of enthusiasm as to prior meetings. I then was made an offer by the HR Manager contingent upon passing a Background check.

Interview Questions
    • How did you build your clientele at your previous job...who do you consider a client?   View Answer
    There was no negotiating the position is commissioned $10.88 vs 10% of what you sell. That's why I would imagine the interview process is so thorough to make sure you comfortable with that pay structure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Had four different interviews, the questions weren't that hard and very typical. Big plus if you have previous retail experience.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you know about the brands in the department you want to work for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's in September 2013.

I just went through the fist interview in 59st NY, flagship store. And it was a group interview, there are 20 of us, I didn't dress all black, but I dress business skirt and shirt, I want to show the interviewer my taste but not over it. There are two interviewer in the room, they ask about 5 questions, introduction, who do you think of best custtomer service and related experience? why do you want this job? what makes you stand out? how do you dealing with unsatisfied customers? how do you deal with difficult employee?

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult co-workers?   View Answer
    I haven't negotiation the salary yet, but I am about to ,next week