Bloomingdale's

227 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in November 2009.

Interview Details – The interview lasted one hour. The AGM who interviewed me keep jumping from one subject to the next, so there was no flow or cohesion to the interview. It consisted of her asking a question, barely giving me time to go into depth about my work experience and strengths pertaining to the question she asked. Then she would move on to another completely unrelated question. She was not interested in what I had to say and I did not feel I could break the ice with her. It was very unsettling and I could not wait to get out of there.

Interview Questions

• What will you do on the first day of work?   Answer Question
  • How do you deal with an associate who steals sales from co-workers?   View Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview and hiring process is long and very corporate. I was invited to interview from a college recruiting fair and came into the city (from another state about 3 hours away) about 6 times for different interviews as Bloomingdale's does not do phone or Skype interviews. I also had to take multiple personality tests etc.
The on-boarding procedure is equally as long with many orientation workshops. As tedious as it can seem I really do appreciate how selective and thorough they are with the whole process, my coworkers are all wonderful people and great to work with and our HR really does a phenomenal job at hiring people that fit in well and bring a lot to the table.

Interview Question – They ask many ethical questions in the quiz you take to see what kind of person you are. It's not difficult but definitely a bit intimidating.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I got a great offer so no negotiation was necessary

White Plains, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in July 2010.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews in one day i first met with the HR Manager then a Sales Manager

Interview Question – What's the difference between a client a customer?   Answer Question

Chevy Chase, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview Details – Had four different interviews, the questions weren't that hard and very typical. Big plus if you have previous retail experience.

Interview Question – Make sure you know about the brands in the department you want to work for.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in September 2013.

Interview Details – I just went through the fist interview in 59st NY, flagship store. And it was a group interview, there are 20 of us, I didn't dress all black, but I dress business skirt and shirt, I want to show the interviewer my taste but not over it. There are two interviewer in the room, they ask about 5 questions, introduction, who do you think of best custtomer service and related experience? why do you want this job? what makes you stand out? how do you dealing with unsatisfied customers? how do you deal with difficult employee?

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult co-workers?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I haven't negotiation the salary yet, but I am about to ,next week

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in June 2011.

Interview Details – Met with the head of HR, as well as one of the floor managers and her supervisor. The HR manager was very personable, and asked questions about how I approach the retail experience. For example, he asked me why I wanted to work with the company and what my interpretation is of a client versus a customer. In my next interview with the manager of the floor on which I desired to work, she asked me questions regarding the store and my perception of what it would be like to work there. Because I was referred to this company by an employee, we also talked about some of the insights she had given me in regards to the job. My third interview was with one of the store's sales managers, which was a little intimidating because I knew she held a position very close to the top of the totem pole. My interview with her was similar to the interview I had with the HR manager, in that she asked me a series of questions. She asked me to tell her about a time when I was helping a number of customers at once, and how I managed it. She also asked me to tell her about a time I met a sales goal, a time I was unsatisfied with my performance, and so on and so forth.

Interview Questions

• Name two or three specific instances in which you broadened your product knowledge or delved into fashion trends. How did you go about gathering your information?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time where you had to convince your coworkers of an idea you had. How did you convince them?   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in February 2010.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by the HR manager after submitting an application online. For a retail position, I felt the interview was taken very seriously and the manager asked me very exact questions. This same day, I was interviewed by the manager of the department I was most interested in. This interview went well and the HR manager sent me home. She contacted me in about two weeks. I was called back to interview with a store manager. This was a very serious interview as well and I thought the store manager was pretty hard to read. After this interview, I was called back to the HR manager's office and an offer of employment was extended. I accepted and started later that week.

Interview Question – The manager took the interviews very seriously. They asked very exacting questions about why I wanted to work there, my past work experience and how I would deal with difficult customers, etc.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted through an e-mail to go through prompt's to set up an interview. I arrived to the location and the woman at the desk was pleasant. They had me wait around until the interviewer came. She wasn't a manager for the department I was applying for. She shot question after question at me, and the questions had no flow. She made me feel like I was wasting her time, like she wasn't listening to me, and that she wasn't in the mood to be doing this. She was condescending and made attempts to "put me on the spot" with questions. I must say that I felt pretty insulted after that interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a client and a customer?   View Answer
  • Explain a time you used your personality to help a customer make a purchase.   View Answer
  • So you've explained how you make them feel good about themselves, what would you do if a customer wanted to buy something that looked horrible on them? How would you tell them that it looked bad?   View Answer
  • If a customer didn't like anything you showed them, what would you do?   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in August 2008.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online and was called to come to a career open house at the store. I was given a test to take and put in a room with about 10 other people. I received a call telling me that I had scored well on the test and they wanted to have me come in for an interview. I met with a girl from HR and was asked a lot of typical interview questions. I think I messed up on the 5 years from now question by telling her my actual aspirations of becoming a buyer.

Sales Associate Womens Shoes Interview

Sales Associate Womens Shoes

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in January 2007.

Interview Details – It was pretty basic only thing was that they give you like a 45min SAT type test before your interview.IDk what for but it was pretty difficult had me thinking alot.So bring a pen and be prepared to think not just talk about yourslef all day.

Interview Question – What is your weakest skills??   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not old enough at the time need to be at least 18 to work in commission field at blomingdales

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!