Bloomingdale's

Getting the Interview

199 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Westbury, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in August 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed consecutively by HR Rep, Assistant Store Manager, and General Manager.
Informal and relaxed, management took their time to really get to know me and were looking for an upbeat and friendly personality.
If you smile and answer all of their questions carefully, the interview goes very smoothly.
They each wanted to know about my customer service experience and gave me scenarios concerning helping customers and how I would deal with colleagues.

Interview Question – A colleague comes up to you and is complaining about work and their managers, what do you do?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer

Interviewed at Bloomingdale's

Interview Details – they asked why blooming dale's, they asked if I have ever had experience with analytics and asked to give an example.

Interview Question – do I know about the rewards program   Answer Question

Interview Details – Emails back and forth... too much drama

Interview Question – easy questions   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in December 2013.

Interview Details – applied online a week later got a call to an interview, they ask a lot of customer service questions

Interview Question – name a time in which something was difficult and how did you get through it?   Answer Question

Recovery Interview

Interview Details – Really no questions

Negotiation Details – Be clear about everything

Executive Development Program Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview Details – Bloomingdale's first came to my college campus, where I was selected to interview. The first round was two one-on-one interviews that were each half an hour. Many of the questions were behavioral. I was contacted a few weeks later to move to the second round, which was a set of online assessments and tests.

Quickly after that I was invited to their onsite, which happened at their New York office. The onsite lasted all day, with an hour shadowing someone currently in the program, about five one on one interviews with employees from different departments (one from HR), a retail math exam, and a group interview where we were given a simulation. The group interview was not nearly as bad as I had feared it would be. Breakfast and lunch were provided.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss, and what did you do?   Answer Question

Visual Stylist/Fashion Merchandiser Interview

Willow Grove, PA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in February 2014.

Interview Details – Unprofessional and unethical. After applying online, I received an email to schedule an interview time. There was only one appointment available for this week and was for the following morning, so I chose one of the times next week. As one of my dream companies, I excitedly booked a hotel and planned my 6 1/2 hour drive to the store. As I was prepping for the interview today, I visited the company site to print the job description and discovered that the posting was missing. With an upcoming storm predicted on the day I would be driving to the interview, I decided to call HR to question the situation. As soon as I started to say that I am scheduled to interview next week for this position, the HR associate told me that an offer had already been accepted for that position!!!!! How or why was a position filled with interviews still scheduled?? I was not notified of this and not even offered an apology by the person that I spoke to. Had I not looked for the description again, I would have wasted 2 days driving through a snow storm and paid for gas, tolls, and a hotel room to arrive at at interview for a non-existent job!!!!! I am totally disgusted and can only assume that they thought I could be convinced to take another open position if I came for the interview. I am disgusted by the companies actions.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question is why they filled the position before all of the interviews took place and didn't have the courtesy to cancel the additional interviews.   Answer Question

Analyst Development Internship Program Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in February 2014.

Interview Details – Macy's came to my campus to recruit for Macy's and Bloomingdale's. The Bloomingdale's team was more stand offish at job fairs and information sessions than the Macy's team. There was an information session the night before interviews [invite only]. You met with the interviewer and the other candidates for the same position you are applying for. You could ask questions in the group setting. The interview was two 30 minute interviews back to back. One was with a woman from HR and the second was with a man who worked in marketing in the loyalty division of Bloomingdale's. The HR interview was more conversational (walk me through your resume) and only a few behavioral questions were asked. The second interview was rapid fire behavioral questions and not much else. For internships there is only one round of interviews and I received an email less than two weeks later letting me know I did not get the position.

Interview Question – Describe a situation when you had to stand up to someone.
Describe a situation when you overcame a challenge.
Describe a situation when you had to deal with a deadline.
Describe a situation when you had to deal with stress.
And so on and so forth.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Chestnut Hill, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in August 2011.

Interview Details – I went to an open house and was interviewed by quite a few managers and HR. Shortly thereafter the manager of the department I was hired for had found me on Linked In! I found the interviewers very personable and the interview went very well. It was a very thorough process and Bloomingdale's has a very professional interviewing process.

Interview Question – Some of the questions asked for example: What was the most difficult selling situation you have encountered and how did you handle the situation? None of the questions were difficult yet it was apparent that the questions asked would reveal what type of job I would be most suited for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no need to negotiate as I work on commission.

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview Details – 6 interviews, starting in local store and then travel to New York. Interviews were behaviorally based and scripted.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question