Bloomingdale's Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

Updated May 31, 2015

2.6

GENERAL SALES MANAGER Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was phone screened, which went well and the HR manger even said how refreshing it was to speak with someone who was so switched on in retail. Was immediately set up to take an online assessment. She warned me that others have said how unconventional the test is and is like no other I've taken before. I consider myself to be a very intelligent person who has achieved strong marks in school and been successful in Senior district manager positions for 10 years plus. She was not kidding, it was the most unrelated test I have ever taken in my career. The whole thing lasted about 40 minutes and I felt like I was taking a physics exam mixed with theoretical thinking. Needles to say, I received and email the next morning from the HR women saying how sorry she was and she wish things were different, but I did not pass. And they wonder why the bloomingdales/macy's brands are failing??? Maybe they should spend more time with relevant screening questions.

Interview Questions

• Rice, barley, and wheat are sometimes grown it hot climates, barley and wheat are grown in asia, and rice is mostly grown in Europe. Is it true that most people know that barley in wet climates. Do you:
      strongly agree
      mostly agree
      do not agree
      no opinion
      WTF!!!!

Answer Question

COSMETICS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

First I applied online and got email from Bloomingdales the next day to schedule a group interview. I scheduled the group interview for the following day to in order to be one of the first candidates. I used alot of keywords from job post on my resume to get past machine screening. When I got there they had my resume printed out and there was my name on the table. There was only one other person interviewing so it was a small group and we where interviewing for diff departments. I interview on a Friday at 4:00. Research the department ur applying for because the other guy who was interviewing did not and it made him look really dumb. He thought Y.E.S was shoes. It was the HR manager who interviewd us. He seemed nice but very quick to the point. He asked us what position we applied for and two other positions/departments we would be interested to work. I tried to sound artsy and creative in some of my questions because I heard they don't like people who are boring and too serious. First question was "tell me about yourself" then basic behavioral questions. He asked a question and took notes on ur resounse. There where about 5 questions. Last question was "how do you identify a Bloomingdales customer" I said anybody is a potential bloomies customer because if their going to buy basic essentials like moisturizers and face wash why not buy them from bloomies especially if you sign them up fot the "Loyalist" program or open a store card so they earn points the more they shop with us. He seemed to like that respons. Try to answer questions first if not it might seem your copying the other person.

Then I got a call from counter manager to schedule a second interview with her about two days later. I met with her then she said she would schedule a third interview with her account executive in a few days. After that I was called in to sign new hire paperwork. Process took about 2 weeks. And that was that. Yasss ��

Visual Stylist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

First applied online, followed by a group interview with people applying for all sorts of positions. It was all very trivial/superficial. A visual job requires a set of skills that's entirely different from a sales role. At no point did they ask anything relevant about the actual job itself and what I can bring the table. Meanwhile, I was ready to go with my portfolio and point of view on visuals, etc. If hiring is based on trivial questions like "what would I bring with me to a deserted island", then no wonder turnover is high. Never heard back from Bloomingdale's, not even to say that they passed.

Interview Questions

• How would you address a customer if you're in the middle of dealing with another customer?   Answer Question

Store Management Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

First you attend around 2 information sessions. Answer the questions they ask even if it's a guess because they give away gift cards! You then get selected to interview with 2 managers one from Bloomingdale's and one from Macy's. Applying in the Spring is much more competitive than the Fall. First you have a basic interview with questions such give me a time you dealt with a difficult situation etc. The next part they give you a potential manager situation where you need to help improve an employees numbers. Really easy. But stress coaching!!

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult just be personable and friendly and where a smile on your face!   Answer Question

Sales Manager Trainee (Stage I) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

I went to a career fair and applied through my school's career website. After meeting with recruiters, they invited me for a first round interview on campus. There were two interviews. They asked behavioral questions and then gave me a case study at the end. I think as long as you know why you want to work there and are prepared to tell them why you are qualified, then it is not bad. After the 1st round, I was invited to 2nd round interviews which was held at the Bloomingdale's office in the store. They invited a group of students from my school to come for the day to meet the executives of Bloomingdale's and gave us a a tour of the store and also provided breakfast and lunch. Afterwards we had 3 back to back interviews with the executive where they kind of grill you on why you are qualified and why Bloomingdale's.They also asked about my customer service experience/retail experience. Overall I had a good experience with Bloomingdale's.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with a customer that you knew was wrong?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

They use the group process. There was a panel of 3 to 4 . The 3 women were on point and did a great job. The guy however was very rude. He did of lot of non verbal things to indicate how boring this process was for him. For example rolling eyes , daydreaming, and sitting with legs crossed but constantly rolling the foot like come on already. Granted he was a department manager and not an HR person still very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• AND i AM SURE Explain about a time when you went the extra mile to help a customer.   1 Answer

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

The process was very standard with clear communication. It started with me emailing my cover letter and resume. I heard back within a few days. I interviewed with department head and counter manager. I had a phone interview with the line rep, and from there I then interviewed with the store manager. There was also a behavior/ personality online test...though this is standard, it's always a bit awkward.

Interview Questions

• The online behavior/ personality test. It's not hard, but you can really start to over think your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't need to negotiate compensation because the offer was great. I did need my schedule to be somewhat flexible and they were understanding.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomingdale's (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

Initially I applied online for full-time but holiday was the only thing available. I showed up for the holiday career day. There was a one on one interview which seems very casual but I'm sure they are taking notes. They asked me for my top three preferences of what section in the store I'd like to work. After some basic questions, I was scheduled a second interview with the manager of the section (on my preference list) that was hiring. One week later I interviewed with her, and was offered the job. Both interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• How do you sell when there is a customer in the store?   Answer Question
    • How are you selling when there are no customers in the store?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation when a customer was initially unhappy but they left happy.   Answer Question
    • Describe an incident where the customer came to return something but they ended up shopping or buying something they didn't plan on.   Answer Question
    • How would you go about selling a product to a customer if you weren't familiar with that product?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Holiday pay ($10/hr) is non-negotiable. If you are offered full time or permanent you have more to work with.