Bloomingdale's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Retoucher Interview

Retoucher
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online through the Macy's website (since they own Bloomingdale's), and was contacted by one of the recruiters from HR via email. She asked for a portfolio link and then asked a few basic questions (salary requirements, freelance versus fulltime, etc.), and we set up a date and time for the interview the following week. I met with the recruiter first. After speaking with her a bit about my work history, salary history, and the culture of the company, she brought me over to meet with the manager of the department I would be working for. The imaging manager had the notes from the recruiter, as well my résumé. He asked me a few technical questions related to what I had written, and what I thought about the imagery on the company's website, and then gave me 45 minutes to test. I had to work on two images, on-figure, one of a male model and one of a female model, both top crops (from waist or thighs up). They both had markups on them and I was given a list of general requirements for retouching the images. I split my time between the two images, but I didn't finish the second one. I met with the manager again briefly, and we talked a little bit about our hobbies, and then we finished up. I sent a Thank You email the following day to the recruiter (I didn't have the manager's contact information), and she said she'd be in touch with me that day. She called me and offered me the position, which I accepted, and I started with them the following week.

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the process was definitely the test, because at the time, I had not worked on imagery for web where super speed was paramount. I was more familiar with working on images for several hours, and then several rounds, whereas here it was necessary to retouch an image from start to finish in 15 minutes or less (we were given a bit more time on the test than that). Despite not finishing the second image, my manager there told me later that he was impressed with my test, so I would say don't stress too much if you don't finish– just do a good job!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate; I had given a salary range of X-X+10, and they offered X+5. I felt that they had the advantage, knowing my previous annual salary, which was substantially lower. However, I would DEFINITELY recommend negotiating, and I would suggest adding 10K to whatever salary you thought you would get starting off, and negotiate from there.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomingdale's

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomingdale's Retoucher interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomingdale's employees and interview candidates.