Bloomingdale's

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview Details – applied online and was contacted by hr soon after. super unorganized interview process. had to travel to chicago and come in i believe 5 different times to meet everyone and be interviewed by them. By the time i was interviewed by the head hr manager we sat down, she opened my file and asked me what position i was interviewing for because she didn't even know! And as if that wasn't bad enough, after I told her I was interviewing for SMT, she goes on to tell me that oh well unfortunately I just filled all the SMT positions (whyyy was I there then I have no idea). When all was said and done, I was offered a Specialist position with the promise that opportunities to become SMT would arise quickly in the future. LIE. after working there for about 10 months and being completely miserable I finally quit because this company is the definition of micro-management and you will have absolutely no life if you work there. I couldnt even get a simple weekend off for my siblings wedding.

Interview Question – none..all easy basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Wayne, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in January 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a HR person and a store manager in 2 separate 1:1 interviews. The questions were pretty random and the interview lasted for about 45mins. After which I had to return for an interview with another manager in a week.
Questions were: Why do you want to want for Bloomingdale, they asked a lot about retail experience so that's definitely important. . The store itself is not very busy so you won't have to worry about a rush of customers. People seemed very polite and warm. The second interview consisted of a personality/compatibility questionnaire which was administered by the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to want for Bloomingdale?   Answer Question
  • How your prior retail experience will aid you in properly performing the tasks of this job.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in March 2012.

Interview Details – I did 5 1-on-1 interviews and a critical thinking online assessment in the middle of the 5 interviews. 1st with an HR person, 2nd with a group manager, 3rd with the HR manager, then the assessment, 4th with another group manager, and last with the store manager. The assessment is taken at home and is untimed, so it wasn't too bad, took about 45 min. The entire process took me a month and a half because I could only schedule interviews on my days off from the current position I had, so sometimes my interviews were spread out over a week or 2. The HR manager was also very busy traveling to NY a lot so it took some time to follow up and schedule interviews sometimes. All the interviews were fairly easy-going with typical retail scenarios and questions based on my resume, no set list of questions they read off of. There is a big focus on clientelling and driving sales. Some of them took notes during my interview, some of them didn't. Overall a good experience, but long process, which makes sense considering they are one of the most well known and competitive retailers.

Interview Question – What does a client mean to you?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation because the starting salary is the same for all managers doing the SMiT program.

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was excited to receive a call back from my resume and coverletter, we scheduled an interview for 5 days later. I thoroughly prepared for the interview. Upon arriving, it seemed the interviewer had not read my coverletter and did not know which position I'd applied for (this was detailed in my coverletter).

He basically said that although I'd had retail and management experience (8 years), I did not have "high end" experience, something the job description did not list. He reinforced the fact that no one would be accepted into the SMiT position without such 'high end' experience. He urged me to reapply as a sales associate (this for someone's who've managed 4 different retail chains). The only difference between what I'd done in the past and what I was to do now was keeping a client book, although I'd done that in the past as well. Apparently, that alone was important to rule me out of the candidacy.

He was however very engaging and seemed to love the company and her job. The staff, who greeted me before my interview was also very friendly.

Advice: if you don't have 'high end (not specialty retail)' experience for this position, don't waste your time. The SMiT is broken down into 4 phases, the first being a sales associate phase. However, you can't enter the sales associate phase of the SMiT program unless you've been a Bloomingdale's sales associate. I asked him to reconsider and he said I needed to start at the bottom and would need to apply for a sales position, online.

If I was as unqualified as he thought, why even call me in for the interview?

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was about 45 minutes long. The interviewer had no set questions he basically started asking me about my experiences and then from the answers I gave, asked further questions. It was vary laid back and the interviewer was very nice. He asked me why I was interested in the company, and then he told me about the position and also asked me if I was interested in community service and told me about the charity events that the company organized. Very good experience, but I was overqualified for the position.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in August 2010.

Interview Details – 4 interviews in all. First with an HR associate, was really easy, she went off a list of questions to ask. 2nd with HR Manager, also pretty easy and she was extremely nice. 3rd with Store Manager, which was slightly more difficult but was more focused on telling me about the position. Last interview was with the Dept Selling Manager, it was more to see if I would like to work with her in that dept. All of the interviewers were extremely nice, and the questions were mainly all behavioral. How do you work in teams? Have you ever had conflict with associates? How do you like to be managed? etc

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I was a little overqualified for the position, and pay was not as high as I would have liked.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!