Bloomingdale's

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seasonal Sales Professional

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a email about a week later inviting me to schedule an interview. The first interview was with a HR employee. General questions like why do you want to work for them, what do you consider exceptional customer service. Then came time to figure out the department they think you would fit in best- usually a department you are familiar with from previous experiences. They later schedule you for another interview, this time with the department manager.

My interview with the department manager went about the same as the one with HR. There were some questions geared towards why you would like to work in the department, but I didn't think they were too difficult. After this interview, they gave me an offer.

Interview Question – I was interviewing for the intimates department and so the strangest question that came up was if I felt comfortable with seeing breasts.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Seasonal employees get paid the same hourly wage.

Very Easy Interview

White Plains, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, was invited to schedule interview. The entire process happened within a span of about 2 weeks. I had also applied for a beauty specialist position at Macy's and had been waiting to hear something back from them (still nothing). I put on my best interview black attire and headed to White Plains, unsure of what to expect. As soon as I stepped foot in the store I was greeted warmly and acknowledged by all the staff that I passed on my way to the executive offices. I was there a few minutes early and they seemed pleased by that. It seems as though they were expecting me, because one of the managers actually asked me if I was me (she knew my name). I was interviewed by a gentleman who was really impressed by my appearance and resume. The conversation we had was very easy, almost didnt feel like an interview! He then had me interview with the woman who knew my name and my time with her was also pleasant and easy going. They both asked me about my availability, explained the dress code (all black) and encouraged me to pursue a permanent position there after the holidays if I liked it, and they both thought I would make a good fit there. I was then taken to meet with the HR Manager and again she was a delight. She offered me a position on the spot and I accepted.

Interview Question – The questions were fairly easy. They wanted to know my availability to work on the "hot" holiday dates - Black Friday, Christmas Eve, Day After Christmas, New Years Eve.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. All seasonal employees get the same per hour rate. (that's what they told me anyway)

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomingdale's in November 2011.

Interview Details – After filling out an online application I was contacted via e-mail to schedule an in person interview through their website. There were two interviews before my job offer. The first was with HR, which pretty much just verifies you're ok to work there. They ask typical questions about your past experience and ask what you would do in various situations. For example, what will you bring from your past experience to Bloomingdale's, name a time you did not get along with a co-worker, have you ever had a problem with a manager, are you a quick learner, how do you handle working in a fast paced environment, etc. The interviewer rates your answers and then asks you what department you would like to work in. If you have passed this phase of the interview, you will then wait for an interview with a manager from the requested department. My interview with the handbag manager was straightforward as well. She asked about my past experience, why I wanted to work in handbags, what I think about customer service, and if I can quickly learn how to use their POS system. At the end of the interview she offered me a position, explained the commission structure and dress code, and told me when to show up for work once my training was over. I signed a few papers and completed my online forms for payroll and taxes. Training lasted 3 days, for 4 hrs a day and was fast paced but sufficient. You start working almost right away once training is over.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected or challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The hourly pay is the same for all new part time employees and the commission plan is dependent upon the department you work in.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!