Blue Cross (TX)

Relevance Date Difficulty

Applications Developer Analyst Interview

Applications Developer Analyst
Richardson, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blue Cross (TX).

Interview Details – I had applied for the Fresh Graduate Java Developer Position.
The hiring process consisted of three steps:
1) Telephonic interview with medium level java/sql/spring/hibernate questions. About 10-15 questions.

2) After 3 days, I was called for a face to face interview which consisted of more behavioral and time/project management type questions. Like: If you have 3-4 tasks given to you at a time, how would you prioritize them? What was the last time you had issues at work or co-worker ? What is your strengths and weaknesses ?

HR took more behavioral interviews where they asked general questions like how fast do you get upset ? When was the last time you were upset with your co-workers ? How did you deal with it ? Etc etc.

Interview Question – Couple of hibernate/spring related questions were little difficult given the fact that I had never used so much depth of skills when working until yet.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They start fresh graduates in least pay possible. Good luck with bargaining if you are more experienced.

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Richardson, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Blue Cross (TX) in March 2013.

Interview Details – Length of time from submitting resume until recruiter contact - 1.5 months. Once I had the phone screen it was another month or so before I heard anything back.

During initial phone call (screen) w/recruiter they asked very basic questions and then said if I was looking to negotiate on salary to "forget it". That this was "not the type of position someone could come in and if they liked me they would offer more".

Bizarre thing to say to a candidate. I was then invited in for in person interviews and was a bit blindsided with the job requirements - which were totally different than what was posted.

Once I did go in for the in person interview it included very awkward tour and interactions with recruiter. Recruiter was not knowledgeable at all about the company, position or team.

When I asked questions the recruiter didn't know the answer to any. Basic questions like how large is the company? What are the goals for this role? How many people are on the team? What is the reporting structure? When I requested receipt of information I sent in follow up to the recruiter to share w/the hiring manager I received no response. Followed up multiple times with no response. I get that this is sometimes part of the process but after spending my time collecting information THEY requested, a confirmation of receipt would have been courteous.

I think if you are looking for a cutting edge company this is not it. If you are looking for a thorough and knowledgeable recruiter interaction you will not find it here. In my mind recruiters are part of the face of the company to new and perspective candidates and in this instance, it was not normal recruiter interaction.

Interview Question – When they totally change the job description on you be prepared.   View Answer

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Underwriting Assistant
Richardson, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Blue Cross (TX) in April 2011.

Interview Details – The University of Texas at Dallas Career Center posted this position back in January. Blue Cross Blue Shield contacted me in March and conducted a preliminary phone interview. This consisted of basic regarding the underwriting position (do I like math? do you prefer working individually or with a group, computer skills, etc.)

A week later they called back to schedule a face to face interview with the underwriting management team. The campus in Richardson is new and very beautiful. The attire was business casual, though you will see a few of the management team members wearing suits. There is was a gym in the basement and a cafeteria in the main floor which was a nice touch.

The building is highly secured so you will have to take a picture and get an ID badge before the interview. I met with a HR rep and went over the basic benefits package at BCBSTX. They offer many benefits including discounted health insurance, PTO, 401k, and a pension plan to name a few.

The interviewers were the three members of the underwriting management team and they were casual and laid back. The interview itself consisted of basic behavioral questions(how to deal with a difficult coworker, how you prioritize tasks) and even a few mental math questions (what is 21% of 1.8 million and how did you come up with it?). My advice would be to brush up on some math and answer the behavioral question showing that you can make decisions independently but are able to follow directions carefully.

Interview Question – You are the leader of a group of eleven people. Eight of them are team players but one of them thinks she should be the leader and the other one cannot concentrate. How do you deal with them both?   Answer Question

Worked for Blue Cross (TX)? Contribute to the Community!