Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
www.bcbsnc.com Chapel Hill, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Customer Service Professional Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online - interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina in February 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online and then received an email that had a link it in to take an online assessment. After taking the assessment, it said at the end page that I had passed and that my results would be submitted to HR. It was a few weeks later that I received a call from a lady at HR and she did a phone "pre screen", I suppose a light phone interview. She told me about the position and the pay range and the expected beginning date and asked if all of this information was acceptable. Then she asked some questions, one I remember was "why do you want to work for BCBSNC?" Then she said she would like to invite me for a face to face interview the next day. I picked a time slot and she emailed me confirmation of my interview the next day, how it would be conducted and directions. She was very nice and informative throughout all of my communications with her!

The day of the face to face was different than any other interview I had done before. Not bad, just different. I actually enjoyed it. During my time slot, there were probably 10-12 people there and it was a group interview, my best description is something like speed dating, except speed interviewing. Since there was 4 time slots (I believe, maybe 5), I am guessing they interviewed 45-55 people that day). We were taken to the cafeteria where there was a group of Managers. Each Manager interviewed two people. I sat down and interviewed with one for about 25 minutes, then I was taken to a second Manager to interview and that was it. While I was interviewed, there are all of the other candidates interviewing at tables next to you. The questions are situational and they are looking for detailed information for the steps you took.

During the interviews, I was advised that if I was selected to move to the next round that I would receive an email within a few days inviting me back to the Open House that they were having the following week. I completed my interviews with my two interviewees and was escorted out. Everyone that I came in contact with that day - very friendly.

The following week, I did receive an email inviting me back for an open house that was to be held in the evening hours that week. I emailed back accepting the invitation and waited for the day to come. I arrived at Open House and there were about 15-17 candidates. We were invited back to the cafeteria area where there were snacks and a group of Managers. They played a video for us and then had Team Leads, Managers in there for us to speak with individually at tables. This gave them a chance to ask more about us and gave us a chance to get information from them about the job and BCBSNC. After this, they broke us into two groups to go on a tour of the call center. After we came back from the tour, we were given packets which contained our offer letters. It was a nice experience - like we were graduating. They called our name and we went to the front to receive our packet and went through the line shaking all of the Managers hands. We were told to take the packets home and look over them and get back to HR to let them know whether we accept or decline the offer. Again, all contact, everyone I saw there that night, very friendly and welcoming. I liked the things the Managers said, things like "everyone being family, being on the same team", "watching out for everyone", "promoting from within". All of the Managers and Team Leaders there that night had started out on the phones. They even acknowledge that most people don't want to be on the phones forever and they try to make a career "game plan" so to speak when you come on board to learn what your interests are to try and help you attain your advancement in your career. It has been the best process and best feel I've had for a company through the interview process.

Interview Question – Tell them of a time when you couldn't satisfy a customer and what you did. The questions they ask are looking for the situation and what you did to remedy it. So, not just stating the problem, but specific details about how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did successfully negotiate up on the offer that I received in the offer packe on Open House night. They gave me what I requested.

Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina in May 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on BCBSNC.com. Once I applied, I had to take an assessment within 48 hours to be considered for the position. I immediately took the assessment, which took around an hour, and passed. Within a few days, I received a call from a Team Leader at BCBSNC - she asked me two questions. I remember one of the questions was "why do you want to work for BCBSNC"? Within a few more days, I received an e-mail inviting me to an interview that would take two hours and include an interview with a HR rep, Team Leader and a Manager. I was asked lots of detailed questions about specific instances of various scenarios in my past employment. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would receive an e-mail by the end of the upcoming week, either inviting me to Open House or saying I didn't get the job. I did receive an e-mail late the next week inviting me to Open House. Open House consisted of watching a few PowerPoint presentations, meeting more of the management and training staff, taking a tour of the facilities and a chance to ask any questions - also had refreshments. At the end of the two hour Open House, we were all offered positions as Customer Service Professionals - probably 12-15 people total. We were given offer letters to take home and consider and asked to call HR to either accept or decline the offer.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time that you promised a customer something that you were unable to execute and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • Give me an example of a time when a co-worker was absent and how did it effect you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, I felt my offer was fair.

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina in May 2011.

Interview Details – I did a online app, personality test, call center simulation. I was emailed about an interview. I got there and it was a room of about 10 other interviewees. There were 3 other time slots that day, so I assume there were about 40-50 total interviewees. I was a bit concerned after that because I didn't know how many openings they had. Beating out 10 people is extremly dificult, but 40-50, I dont know. It took me 2 hours start to finish. I did three 1-1 interviews, one with a HR person, one with the Team Lead and one with a Manager. It wasn't as formal as I thought it would be. They each asked standard targeted selection questions. (EX.Tell me about a time when... Decision making, leadership, Irrate customers, etc.) My HR person seemed a bit annoyed, but the Team lead and Manager were great.

Interview Question – Something like, "Tell me about a time when you had to deal with another employees absence"   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina in January 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward. i did three 1:1 interviews in a rotation on the same day. they ask behavioral pointed question, and want answers to be very detailed and specific with outcomes and end results of your past behavior in employment settings. for example they may ask.. tell us a time when you you could not address someone's problem with a resolution. they want you to go into detail about the situation what actions you took and the over all outcome.

Interview Question – have you ever worked in a call center environment?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Professional Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina in March 2011.

Interview Details – intervieww process is pretty staright forwarward alot of behavioral and situational questions

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina

Worked for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Customer Service Professional interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina employees and interview candidates.