Blue Nile

20 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

QA Engineer - II Interview

QA Engineer - II

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blue Nile.

Interview Details – Applied on jobvite.com
Recruiter emailed and set up a phone interview. It lasted for 30 mins.
The recruiter is usually typing in the back ground while the candidate is answering the questions.

Interview Questions

Designer Interview

Designer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Blue Nile.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. It lasted less than 30 minutes with the recruiter typing my answers down. I was contacted again for the second round to meet with 4 people: hiring manager, director, PM and another designer. One of the art director briefly looked at my work then proceeded to access my soft skills. Another asked about my race.

Interview Question – If you would be an animal, what animal would you like to be?
Are you [race]?
  Answer Question

Assistant Planner Interview

Assistant Planner
Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Blue Nile in April 2014.

Interview Details – Before the interview, the company makes you fill out an enormous amount of paperwork and submit to a credit check online. They were not upfront about the requirements of the position and the job description posted did not match what they were asking for during the interview. They did not let me know that they were going to test me and wanted to test in Excel. The test they gave me was about 20 questions and they wanted me to answer them while they were in the room. I did not answer them as quickly as they wanted and was not correct on some of the questions and the stupid airhead manager stopped me and accused me of not knowing Excel and demanded that I not put it on my resume. I was appalled at her accusations since I have a minor in information technology from the university. They were fake, annoying, and ignorant managers. This company seems weird to work for. I am happy the manager ended the interview early because it is not a company I would want to work for anyway, nor waste more of MY time in the interview.

Interview Question – Analyze our crappy spreadsheet and answer every one of the ridiculous questions in five seconds with 100% accuracy. If not, we will accuse you of not knowing anything.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Planner Interview

Assistant Planner

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Blue Nile.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call a few days later to set up a phone interview the next day with a recruiter. The recruiter was friendly but, as others say, was clearly reading from a script and it made for an awkward interview as we didn't get to engage in a real conversation.

Interview Question – The questions weren't difficult, but they seemed to be all over the board. Recruiter went from asking me to describe my management style and experience, to then asking me to share a negative experience I've had with a customer and how I resolved the situation. It didn't seem like this reflected what the position actually entails.   Answer Question

Diamond & Jewelry Consultant Interview

Diamond & Jewelry Consultant
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blue Nile in September 2013.

Interview Details – You have to be tech savvy since their system is over 15 years old and understand the process with communicating with other departments.

Interview Question – Handling escalating customers such as bridezillas.   Answer Question

Diamond & Jewelry Consultant Interview

Diamond & Jewelry Consultant
Seattle, WA

Interview Details – Two on one with two of the supervisors. Was initially contacted by the HR department member who ended up also being the front desk receptionist. Received a packet by FedEx on a Saturday to fill out for my interview on Monday. Not very smart to cut it that close. Interview length was about 30-45 minutes.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. This is what we are offering, either take it or leave it.

Email Marketing Coordinator Interview

Email Marketing Coordinator

I applied online and interviewed at Blue Nile.

Interview Details – I only had one phone interview with Blue Nile and they insisted on asking my salary requirements during the initial phone screening. They gave me a low ball offer and said they wouldn't like to move forward.

Interview Question – I tried to beat around the bush about salary because most things can be negotiated, but they were very blunt and basically forced me to answer. When I gave them a reasonable, middle-of-the-road answer, they said they couldn't accommodate that and there was no point to move forward.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Blue Nile in May 2013.

Interview Details – After a great phone interview and first interview with an employee in a like role, I felt that the interview had been going really well. This was all halted when a Director level employee came in.

First question out if his mouth, "Do you have any questions for me?" Well, I just met this person and didn't know what there role was like or anything, so I offered a diamond supply question. This question was met with minimal response and laughed off. Unfortunately it only got worse.

I was forcing conversation out of an unresponsive interviewer who would lift my resume in an effort to mask the fact that he was checking his email during my responses. During my responses of being genuinely excited about Blue Nile, I was met with sarcasm and an unprofessional attitude from a person that doesn't seem to enjoy their position. Not a good experience and a word to the Blue Nile team, please don't roll out a person with a certain infection of the eye to meet potential candidates.

Interview Question – Nothing earth shattering as I was forcing most of the questions out of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Manager, International Interview

Manager, International
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Blue Nile in March 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online and being recommended to a senior officer of the company by a former colleague of theirs, I received notification of a recruiter wanting to schedule a phone interview with me. A few days later, I interviewed with the recruiter who was clearly reading from a script and asking pointed questions. It was very clear that the company wanted someone with a top-tier consulting background as they were asking about client projects and results. However, when she asked about my salary and I said I was currently making $100k and followed up asking if that was in the salary range of this job, she responded, "that is higher than our range, but we can potentially work with it."

Considering the first bullet point of the qualifications is looking for 3 + years of top-tier consulting firms like McKinsey, Bain or BCG (in my case I had the 4 years experience with a global brand or accounting firm) and they want an MBA Degree with Int'l Business, Marketing and/or Finance focus, I'm curious how they expect to hire someone with that pedigree and pay them $90k. Those people make $125k to start straight from b-school.
Blue Nile is clearly trying to get a Metropolitan Grill quality steak on an Outback budget.

I came up with numerous examples for the interview and the recruiter there had recently only started and didn't know anything about the company.

Interview Question – Nothing earth shattering. They asked what I knew about Blue Nile and for a myriad of examples about how I meet deadlines and come in under budget. Also asked about scenarios in working at a lean organization.   Answer Question

Social Media Manager Interview

Social Media Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blue Nile in October 2012.

Interview Details – Like the poster below me, this is more to share a warning with others in the process of applying for positions at Blue Nile.

I submitted my application online for a social media manager role in mid-October. A day later, HR contacts me asking if I have time for a 30-minute phone screening with a recruiter the following day (a Friday) at one of two suggested times. I confirm one of the times works for me, and provide my contact information.

The next day, I wait to hear from the recruiter for a full 45 minutes after the agreed-upon time. I then receive an email from the recruiter, apologizing saying he got held up on another call and could I reschedule for late that afternoon. I agree, saying no problem, and reiterate my contact number. I wait around for 60 minutes after the rescheduled time before giving up, although I did sent two emails (at 30 and 45 minutes past) asking the recruiter if something had come up (to no response).

I figure, enough is enough and think nothing more of it. So obviously I was shocked to get an email from that same recruiter almost two weeks later asking if I would be free for a call right then. No apology or explanation--just "can you talk now." Unfortunately I was about to board a plane, so offered my availability a few hours later. No response since then, until today, a month and a half later, when I received a template "we have decided to move forward with another candidates at this time" email.

Gee thanks.

Interview Question – Not to be flippant but "are you available for an interview" was the most difficult thing I had the opportunity to answer.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Blue Nile

Worked for Blue Nile? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Nile interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Blue Nile employees and interview candidates.