Blue Nile Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

2.3

Seattle Corporate Headquarters Interview Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Blue Nile (Seattle, WA).

Interview

My interviewers repeatedly called Blue Nile "lean" in my interviews and I learned when they described the company that this meant cheap, insufficiently staffed, disorganized, and legally noncompliant. The job description that I responded to was vague, and during the interview I learned that the job position comprised 4 different roles (3 of which I had no experience for) and that I would share all of these roles with other employees rather than specialize in my technical expertise, even though the other employees were not educated regarding my technical expertise. This is very disorganized. Blue Nile employees should be specialists rather than all share job roles. Whoever runs this company from the top is doing a terrible job. The job posting also lied that the salary was competitive as it was about 40k. My lack of enthusiasm showed during the end of the interview process.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Blue Nile (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Completely wasted my time. They had two open Customer Service Rep positions posted on their site. One was for Temporary Seasonal, and the other was a regular permanent position. I was not interested in Temporary, so I applied for the permanent position. Got a call from their recruiter and got set up for a phone interview. Standard phone interview, it went well, and they offered to have me come in for an in-person interview, but they waited until this end-of-interview point in the conversation to try and sell me on the Temp/Seasonal position. I told them I was not interested in that, and was only interested in a permanent position. She told me she would need to look into the availability of the permanent position and that they would get back to me. Later in the day I got a call from another woman offering to schedule me for the in-person. I confirmed with her that the interview would be for the permanent position, not the temporary. For the in-person interview...they kept me waiting for over a half hour past the scheduled time which was unprofessional to say the least, but wouldn't have been a big deal had the woman who eventually interviewed me not said "ummmmm no, we're not hiring for permanent positions at this time". When I explained the conversations I had with the previous people, she said "OK maybe I'm not in the loop then, but I'm still pretty sure we're not". At that point she could have respected that my time was being wasted and cut me loose, but instead she carried on with the interview, and then afterwards had me sit in with one of their Reps for about 40 minutes to listen to phone calls. Again, not a big deal either had they not pulled a bait and switch and brought me in under a bogus pretense. After the whole thing was over and she was seeing me to the door, she re-iterated again that she was pretty positive there was no permanent position being offered. Two days later I got an e-mail confirmation that "the position has been filled". The total time wasted was about 2 hours from the time the interview was supposed to start and I was just sitting there waiting in their lobby, to when I exited the bldg. And that's not counting the time I spent w/the phone interview, filling out their pre-interview paperwork and consent forms, the commute to and from, etc. I was pretty pissed, but after reading the employee reviews here I feel better because it sounds like I dodged a bullet. And yes, they do run a credit check on you during the interview process. My recommendation would be to avoid. This is a dime-a-dozen phone rep job, and worst than most from the sounds of it.

Interview Questions

• Standard CSR interview questions...name a time you went above and beyond, name a time you dealt with a difficult customer, etc. etc.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Blue Nile in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online. I had a phone interview. This was only a 5 minute interview, and the recruiter seemed to be angry at my pay range. I could also tell she was reading from a script, which means I would be reading from a script at my job. No thank you.

Interview Questions

• Yes I short circuited the phone interview because they told me they wanted to do a credit check. This wasn't told to me before they bothered wasting my time. This was not listed in the ad of course.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blue Nile in August 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with HR person was the first step. I don't know what the next step were because I decided to short circuit. I don't know what else to put here, since this has a 50 word minimum.

Interview Questions

• Yes I short circuited the phone interview because they told me they wanted to do a credit check. This wasn't told to me before they bothered wasting my time. I don't have the greatest credit do to a divorce, and quit honestly have never had to do a credit check for this kind of position.   Answer Question

QA Engineer - II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Blue Nile.

Interview

Applied on jobvite.com
    Recruiter emailed and set up a phone interview. It lasted for 30 mins.
    The recruiter is usually typing in the back ground while the candidate is answering the questions.

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Blue Nile.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. It lasted less than 30 minutes with the recruiter typing my answers down. I was contacted again for the second round to meet with 4 people: hiring manager, director, PM and another designer. One of the art director briefly looked at my work then proceeded to access my soft skills. Another asked about my race.

Interview Questions

• If you would be an animal, what animal would you like to be?
      Are you [race]?

Answer Question

Assistant Planner Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Blue Nile (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Before the interview, the company makes you fill out an enormous amount of paperwork and submit to a credit check online. They were not upfront about the requirements of the position and the job description posted did not match what they were asking for during the interview. They did not let me know that they were going to test me and wanted to test in Excel. The test they gave me was about 20 questions and they wanted me to answer them while they were in the room. I did not answer them as quickly as they wanted and was not correct on some of the questions and the stupid airhead manager stopped me and accused me of not knowing Excel and demanded that I not put it on my resume. I was appalled at her accusations since I have a minor in information technology from the university. They were fake, annoying, and ignorant managers. This company seems weird to work for. I am happy the manager ended the interview early because it is not a company I would want to work for anyway, nor waste more of MY time in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Analyze our crappy spreadsheet and answer every one of the ridiculous questions in five seconds with 100% accuracy. If not, we will accuse you of not knowing anything.   Answer Question

Assistant Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Blue Nile.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call a few days later to set up a phone interview the next day with a recruiter. The recruiter was friendly but, as others say, was clearly reading from a script and it made for an awkward interview as we didn't get to engage in a real conversation.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult, but they seemed to be all over the board. Recruiter went from asking me to describe my management style and experience, to then asking me to share a negative experience I've had with a customer and how I resolved the situation. It didn't seem like this reflected what the position actually entails.   Answer Question

Diamond & Jewelry Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Blue Nile (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

Two on one with two of the supervisors. Was initially contacted by the HR department member who ended up also being the front desk receptionist. Received a packet by FedEx on a Saturday to fill out for my interview on Monday. Not very smart to cut it that close. Interview length was about 30-45 minutes.

Negotiation

No negotiation. This is what we are offering, either take it or leave it.

Diamond & Jewelry Consultant Interview

Application

Interview

You have to be tech savvy since their system is over 15 years old and understand the process with communicating with other departments.