Blue Nile Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2014
Updated Aug 18, 2014

2.3

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Blue Nile in August 2014.

Phone interview with HR person was the first step. I don't know what the next step were because I decided to short circuit. I don't know what else to put here, since this has a 50 word minimum.

Interview Questions
    • Yes I short circuited the phone interview because they told me they wanted to do a credit check. This wasn't told to me before they bothered wasting my time. I don't have the greatest credit do to a divorce, and quit honestly have never had to do a credit check for this kind of position.   Answer Question

QA Engineer - II Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Blue Nile.

Applied on jobvite.com
    Recruiter emailed and set up a phone interview. It lasted for 30 mins.
    The recruiter is usually typing in the back ground while the candidate is answering the questions.

Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Blue Nile.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. It lasted less than 30 minutes with the recruiter typing my answers down. I was contacted again for the second round to meet with 4 people: hiring manager, director, PM and another designer. One of the art director briefly looked at my work then proceeded to access my soft skills. Another asked about my race.

Interview Questions
    • If you would be an animal, what animal would you like to be?
      Are you [race]?
        Answer Question

Assistant Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Blue Nile in April 2014.

Before the interview, the company makes you fill out an enormous amount of paperwork and submit to a credit check online. They were not upfront about the requirements of the position and the job description posted did not match what they were asking for during the interview. They did not let me know that they were going to test me and wanted to test in Excel. The test they gave me was about 20 questions and they wanted me to answer them while they were in the room. I did not answer them as quickly as they wanted and was not correct on some of the questions and the stupid airhead manager stopped me and accused me of not knowing Excel and demanded that I not put it on my resume. I was appalled at her accusations since I have a minor in information technology from the university. They were fake, annoying, and ignorant managers. This company seems weird to work for. I am happy the manager ended the interview early because it is not a company I would want to work for anyway, nor waste more of MY time in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Analyze our crappy spreadsheet and answer every one of the ridiculous questions in five seconds with 100% accuracy. If not, we will accuse you of not knowing anything.   Answer Question

Assistant Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Blue Nile.

I applied online and received a phone call a few days later to set up a phone interview the next day with a recruiter. The recruiter was friendly but, as others say, was clearly reading from a script and it made for an awkward interview as we didn't get to engage in a real conversation.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult, but they seemed to be all over the board. Recruiter went from asking me to describe my management style and experience, to then asking me to share a negative experience I've had with a customer and how I resolved the situation. It didn't seem like this reflected what the position actually entails.   Answer Question

Diamond & Jewelry Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Blue Nile in September 2013.

You have to be tech savvy since their system is over 15 years old and understand the process with communicating with other departments.

Diamond & Jewelry Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Two on one with two of the supervisors. Was initially contacted by the HR department member who ended up also being the front desk receptionist. Received a packet by FedEx on a Saturday to fill out for my interview on Monday. Not very smart to cut it that close. Interview length was about 30-45 minutes.

No negotiation. This is what we are offering, either take it or leave it.

Email Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Blue Nile.

I only had one phone interview with Blue Nile and they insisted on asking my salary requirements during the initial phone screening. They gave me a low ball offer and said they wouldn't like to move forward.

Interview Questions
    • I tried to beat around the bush about salary because most things can be negotiated, but they were very blunt and basically forced me to answer. When I gave them a reasonable, middle-of-the-road answer, they said they couldn't accommodate that and there was no point to move forward.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Blue Nile in May 2013.

After a great phone interview and first interview with an employee in a like role, I felt that the interview had been going really well. This was all halted when a Director level employee came in.

First question out if his mouth, "Do you have any questions for me?" Well, I just met this person and didn't know what there role was like or anything, so I offered a diamond supply question. This question was met with minimal response and laughed off. Unfortunately it only got worse.

I was forcing conversation out of an unresponsive interviewer who would lift my resume in an effort to mask the fact that he was checking his email during my responses. During my responses of being genuinely excited about Blue Nile, I was met with sarcasm and an unprofessional attitude from a person that doesn't seem to enjoy their position. Not a good experience and a word to the Blue Nile team, please don't roll out a person with a certain infection of the eye to meet potential candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing earth shattering as I was forcing most of the questions out of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Manager, International Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Blue Nile in March 2013.

After applying online and being recommended to a senior officer of the company by a former colleague of theirs, I received notification of a recruiter wanting to schedule a phone interview with me. A few days later, I interviewed with the recruiter who was clearly reading from a script and asking pointed questions. It was very clear that the company wanted someone with a top-tier consulting background as they were asking about client projects and results. However, when she asked about my salary and I said I was currently making $100k and followed up asking if that was in the salary range of this job, she responded, "that is higher than our range, but we can potentially work with it."

Considering the first bullet point of the qualifications is looking for 3 + years of top-tier consulting firms like McKinsey, Bain or BCG (in my case I had the 4 years experience with a global brand or accounting firm) and they want an MBA Degree with Int'l Business, Marketing and/or Finance focus, I'm curious how they expect to hire someone with that pedigree and pay them $90k. Those people make $125k to start straight from b-school.
    Blue Nile is clearly trying to get a Metropolitan Grill quality steak on an Outback budget.

I came up with numerous examples for the interview and the recruiter there had recently only started and didn't know anything about the company.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing earth shattering. They asked what I knew about Blue Nile and for a myriad of examples about how I meet deadlines and come in under budget. Also asked about scenarios in working at a lean organization.   Answer Question

Worked for Blue Nile? Contribute to the Community!