Blue Shield Of California

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Human Resources Analyst Interview

El Dorado Hills, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in December 2010.

Interview Details – Bare bones, some questions - but honestly I feel I was hired because they like me personally.

Negotiation Details – Hard line. They had a base salary that was not up for neogatiation.

Senior Instructional Designer Interview

Senior Instructional Designer
El Dorado Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in February 2009.

Interview Details – 1. phone screen with internal recruiter
2. interview with group manager
3. panel interview with peers
4. interview with department manager

Interview Question – provide examples of use of ADDIE, provide examples of proudest achievement/overcoming challenge   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, I should have asked for more $

Project/Program Manager Interview

El Dorado Hills, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in December 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted application via online process. Contacted by BSC corporate recruiter within 3-4 days for initial phone screen to go over my resume and ask about my professional background. I asked several questions to be relayed to the hiring manager. Corporate recruiter called back twice the same day to respond to my questions and ask additional ones from the manager. Very friendly and responsive to anything I had to ask.

The third call was to schedule a 1:1 interview with the hiring manager for later in the week. A very typical interview for this type of position as it is more about fit with the current team and questions about my previous interactions and approach with senior management and above. Interviewers are required to ask one of three questions supplied by corporate recruiting. The written down on the form and I would assume is submitted back to corporate.

A final panel interview was scheduled and occurred the next business day. Final decision and notification of offer extended the next day via phone call from corporate recruiter.

The people and culture are varied depending on the department and business unit. Unless you know the departments or BUs from previous healthcare or BSC experience, or know a current/former employee, it is virtually impossible to know what the specific culture you are applying into.

For candidates applying for a straightforward Project Manager position (including Associate, Lead, Senior, and Director), an online assessment test based on the PMBOK is administered as part of the interview process. The timed test is taken in the luxury of your own home and is comprehensive. Knowledge of Microsoft Project 2003 is helpful.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you have failed. What did you do in response and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Official offers are emailed to the selected candidate from corporate. I was given the opportunity to submit a counteroffer through the corporate recruiter. The offer was taken to the hiring manager for a decision.

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
El Dorado Hills, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in February 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a 4 month temporary Business Analyst position. I was initially contacted by K-Force and provided a job description for which I believed I was qualified for. It took just a couple of hours to get the phone interview scheduled. K-Force was very professional and provided everything I needed to make the call to Blue Shield of California, El Dorado Hills. The interview was scheduled a few days out, which was fine. It gave me an opportunity to go through the job description and match it to my experience to ensure I was properly prepared.

I was provided with two phone numbers and instructed to call the second number if no one was at the first. When I called the first number, I was greeted and asked to hold while he transferred me to a conference room. I thought that he was going to conduct the interview there. To my suprise there was a panel of three people to ask me questions. I figured this would be fine and proceded to introduce myself. It turns out that the job description I was given by KForce was not what BS was interviewing for. I did note, that KForce provided the right job description, but BS wanted only someone to do user testing. I am versed in user testing and felt confident I could still qualify for the position. However, the style in which I was interviewed through me off. I was asked "If I were to write a book about user testing, what would the first three chapters be titled". I flubbed this part up because I got so caught up in creating a perfect title that I felt like I didn't answer the question very well.

I couldn't help but think that the interview strategy was set up to make someone fail and that perhaps that was the culture of BS. The interviewers voices were kind but somewhat smug. I left the phone interview feeling battered and that if I didn't really need a job, that I would not work for them.

Interview Question – If you were writing a book on use cases, what would you title the first three chapters?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Blue Shield Of California? Contribute to the Community!

Blue Shield Of California Videos

Blue Shield Of California – Why Work for Us?

Transformation is the Opportunity   We're looking for professionals who will help us shape the future of health care, making it more accessible, affordable and easy to use. We are a leader in the industry and plan to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Shield Of California interview questions and advice in El Dorado Hills, CA. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Blue Shield Of California employees and interview candidates.