Blue Shield Of California

Updated Feb 7, 2015
Updated Feb 7, 2015

2.8

Associate Actuarial Analyst Interview

Questions about your previous work experience.

Intermediate Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Blue Shield Of California.

The initial interview was over the phone and I came in a few days later for an in person interview. I was offered the position on my way home.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most challenging experience you had to deal with when you didn't agree with upper management procedures and principles?   View Answer
    Not much room for negotiation. The offer was stiff.

Intermediate Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in January 2014.

Applied online was contacted within 5 days for a phone interview , which led to a person to person interview that was scheduled 5 days later with 2 people in the room. It was formal and took 25 minutes very friendly. I followed up with the supervisor that interviewed me , have not heard one way or another if I received the job and it has now been a total of 4+ weeks, I heard HR is very overwhelmed, so still patiently waiting. Hopefully something soon.

Interview Questions
    • I had to choose an answer I didn't really agree with any of the options totally.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blue Shield Of California.

Applied online through Indeed.com; was called by main office in San Francisco, CA. They did an interview over the phone. Then called back to do a "mock" call as if I were in a call center answering customer questions. Went on-site for an interview that was panel style. I was interviewed by two supervisors in a room with multiple stations where others were being interviewed. Very few questions were asked (at this point they just wanted to see if they liked me). The actual interview was a little stressful because you can see and hear other candidates interviews taking place around you.

Interview Questions
    • The management says they are being interviewed by you as much as they are interviewing you... then expect an answer. I just said they were doing good so far.   Answer Question
    There is zero negotiation on wages, they are set and will likely not increase for years. Management made this very clear.

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Blue Shield Of California.

I was already a contractor--they love "trying you on for size" when I applied for a FTE position. I had already worked with most people I was interviewing with so it was so of a no brainer they had the need, I had the skill set. People there aren't overly intelligent, they tolerate mediocre work. If you can have a good conversation with the hiring manager (not really about your skill set) chances are they will hire you based on who they like. Again they are a company of homegrown managers; which means most don't have any real skill or leadership training--and even if they do--they'll do what it takes to survive.

Interview Questions
    • I can't say I have gotten one during my interview. But, I have interviewed several people since joining the company and in a more senior position a question would be what would you accomplish in the first 60-90days. If they don't ask you then you should ask them what is their expectation of you to accomplish in that timeframe. I guarantee it is totally unrealistic of someone walking in the door. Let that be a red flag to you of what more is to come.   Answer Question
    There wasn't much to negotiate I was offered the highest bonus % and salary for my paygrade.
    Ask for the range for the pay grade.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Blue Shield Of California in December 2013.

Interview process seems to take a long time from start to finish. Not sure if is due to coordination of all parties, but delays sometimes makes it not worth it if you are looking for a job and currently unemployed. A more timely response is warranted. Also seemed like they were not prepared for the interview as a whole. The questions didn't seem well thought out pertaining to what they were hiring for.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel you can change Blue Shield of California processes. This has expectation that you know what the processes are. Seems like a question for internal only employees.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blue Shield Of California in September 2013.

First you get a call from HQ in San Franscisco and it will be a phone interview. They will call you back again for a mock sales call at a later date. If you pass these obstacles you will be invited to a live interview that is panel style. You will interview at a station with multiple others in the same room. Try not to get distracted by the other interviews going on, you have two supervisors focusing on your ability to stay focused and precise.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you handle confrontation? This seems like a simple question, but the job entails dealing with lots of confrontation with customers and vendors. You need to be prepared to be screamed at, threatened and belittled. This is truly the question they are asking: How well do you take being verbally abused on a regular basis?   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Blue Shield will tell you what you will be paid and your set schedule. They tell you all this during the interview process and expect you to either accept or decline at that point. They will also tell you that training is 15 weeks long and you cannot miss days. Finally, they will inform you that you will be on an accelerated audit schedule that will determine if you pass the training or not.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Blue Shield Of California in August 2013.

recruiter was enthusiastic and seemed to love being there after a year

Custom Contract Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Blue Shield Of California in July 2013.

Great interview process. Fantastic interactions and multiple interviews, including phone, face to face and personal interactions. The "re-org" interview to retain my job, I had already earned didn't serve me well. I didn't get the job. They asked me trick questions, and questions designed to fluster me, because they already had a plan. I was not part of that plan, I would learn later. I think it just toughened me up for later life.

Interview Questions
    • When they asked us to "reapply" for our position, before laying off around 6 employees, they asked me about the process of application submissions, and completing a template in a standing in line completion process.   View Answer

Clinical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blue Shield Of California in May 2013.

Interview quick informal to the point. Questions were relevant. Communications with BSC manager & contracted company for 6mos job as speedy & helpful. Up to date with hiring process & registration.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever done this job? What makes you think you can do this job?   View Answer
    Pretty simple. The Senior Manager/also the hiring manager called me, offered me the job, told me about the salary (very good pay) and, was more than happy to have me start ASAP.