Blue Shield Of California

44 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intermediate Business Analyst Interview

Intermediate Business Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California.

Interview Details – The initial interview was over the phone and I came in a few days later for an in person interview. I was offered the position on my way home.

Interview Question – What was the most challenging experience you had to deal with when you didn't agree with upper management procedures and principles?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation. The offer was stiff.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California.

Interview Details – Applied online through Indeed.com; was called by main office in San Francisco, CA. They did an interview over the phone. Then called back to do a "mock" call as if I were in a call center answering customer questions. Went on-site for an interview that was panel style. I was interviewed by two supervisors in a room with multiple stations where others were being interviewed. Very few questions were asked (at this point they just wanted to see if they liked me). The actual interview was a little stressful because you can see and hear other candidates interviews taking place around you.

Interview Question – The management says they are being interviewed by you as much as they are interviewing you... then expect an answer. I just said they were doing good so far.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is zero negotiation on wages, they are set and will likely not increase for years. Management made this very clear.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California.

Interview Details – I was already a contractor--they love "trying you on for size" when I applied for a FTE position. I had already worked with most people I was interviewing with so it was so of a no brainer they had the need, I had the skill set. People there aren't overly intelligent, they tolerate mediocre work. If you can have a good conversation with the hiring manager (not really about your skill set) chances are they will hire you based on who they like. Again they are a company of homegrown managers; which means most don't have any real skill or leadership training--and even if they do--they'll do what it takes to survive.

Interview Question – I can't say I have gotten one during my interview. But, I have interviewed several people since joining the company and in a more senior position a question would be what would you accomplish in the first 60-90days. If they don't ask you then you should ask them what is their expectation of you to accomplish in that timeframe. I guarantee it is totally unrealistic of someone walking in the door. Let that be a red flag to you of what more is to come.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much to negotiate I was offered the highest bonus % and salary for my paygrade.
Ask for the range for the pay grade.

Senior IT Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in June 2011.

Interview Details – This was an internal interview for a promotion opportunity. The interview was conducted in a panel, and it was by no means a sure thing. We talked a lot about the difference between front line and second level management (managing subordinate people managers) as well as the technical competencies and objectives of the role.

Interview Question – There were several difficult questions related to technical competency specific to this role. As an IT job, I was being interviewed by IT people with subject matter expertise in the technical/functional areas my team(s) would support.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – When I received the verbal offer, we discussed pay. I had a target number, and I asked for a higher amount to start. We had a brief second discussion, they made an offer closer to the number I was after, and I accepted. Additional negotiating would likely not have led to a different result, it was very much a "this is our number" conversation.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in August 2009.

Interview Details – Initial HR interviewer was awesome: smart, personable, focused. Hiring manager and other interviewers worked off pre-scripted behavioral questions. "Tell me about a time when you ..." The process was lengthy and decision-making was slow. Nonetheless, it was good to know going in that the company was very structured (the interview process was indicative of the working experience).

Interview Question – There really weren't difficult questions, as long as you know how your background will fit into the company's goals.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were not really an option.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in August 2013.

Interview Details – recruiter was enthusiastic and seemed to love being there after a year

Interview Question – none, I was prepared   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Traffic Manager Interview

Traffic Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in August 2010.

Interview Details – My interview was brief and I was hired on the spot over the phone.

Very Easy Interview

Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in May 2012.

Interview Details – One of the worst experiences I've had interviewing. The process took 3 months, which is bizarre for a very junior-level position. You could tell that the person to whom this role would report was new at managing people - she lacked tact in the interview and seemed extremely proud to be in the interviewer chair. It was a huge turnoff. I had 4 in-person interviews - the middle ones being with senior leadership. The questions were all the same - it just seemed really disorganized. I received an offer but respectfully - and happily - declined. I could tell it was not a team that I wanted to work with.

Interview Question – They asked the most generic questions, found on any Top 10 list via a Google search.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Team seemed unorganized and, frankly, unintelligent. Perhaps people management is not their expertise, but they're just really good in their field.

Customer Service Manager Interview

Customer Service Manager
Lodi, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a phone call from the recruited about 10 days later saying they wanted to interview me with their panel of supervisors. Did not have a phone interview or 1:1 interview as I believed I have had enough credentials to get the job. After the interview, i thought I did great and even had praise from one of the panel supervisors. However, about 4 days later they called me and told me they are going to move forward and promote someone from within for the possition. I think it's kind of a waste of time if they already had someone in mind from within. It's alot harder to compete.

Interview Question – Behavior based questions. Action and Result orientated interview.   Answer Question

Intermediate Business Analyst Interview

Intermediate Business Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blue Shield Of California.

Interview Details – An internal recruiter reached out to me. Shortly after a phone screening with the recruiter and submitting my resume and cover letter, I had a phone conversation with the hiring manager. I was called in for a panel interview with the team, then a face-to-face with the hiring manager and her immediate supervisor (a total of six individuals).

Interview Question – Give me an example of when you faced a difficult situation at work. Could be project related or a relationship with a co-worker. What was the issue? How did you deal with it? What was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was delivered over the phone by the recruiter. Base salary along with bonus and company benefits were explained.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Blue Shield Of California