Bluestem Brands Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

2.8

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Interview

It was okay. There was a pretty long phone interview then in person interviews. The time between interviews seemed a little long compared to other companies. The building is not all that great, but I was told it was going to improve? The HR people seemed a little confused about the job. And the HR person was late. That didn't give me a very good impresion. It seems like they are growing fast and there will be opportunity in the future.

Interview Questions

• About my career goals. About experiences I have had, situations at other companies. It seemed like they were looking for a good fit.   Answer Question

Jul 22, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

We really appreciate your feedback and will provide it back to our team. We are indeed moving into a new building in 2016 and are very excited about the move!

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview was pretty casual. It took only about 15 minutes. First we went over all the job experiences on my resume, followed by a few question about what I was looking for in my next position and a little chat about the company. Interviewer was very young and didn't know much about the industry.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you presented a concept that was rejected?   Answer Question

Interview

I applied online via the website, which seemed clunky and I wasn't able to track the progress of my application moving forward. The recruiter reached out to me three weeks later and asked to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled it for the middle of the following week. The day prior to the phone interview, the recruiter reached out to me via e-mail to inform me they had found "the perfect fit" and were moving forward with another person, essentially canceling my phone interview. Needless to say, I thought it was somewhat unprofessional to schedule a phone interview with me and cancel less than 24 hours before it was to take place. If the company was that far along in the process with someone (offer stage), why would they schedule a phone interview with me? I would think the company would have gone through and interviewed ALL of the candidates before making a selection.

May 2, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. First, we are always happy to let candidates know their status in the process, so any candidate can contact the assigned recruiter for more information. Although more ... More

Warehouse Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

Terribly unprofessional. Completely ignored 2 phone interview meetings. When we actually had the phone interview ( after 2 reschedules), I could tell that she was reading my resume for the first time as the interview was being conducted. She stops the interview mid way through and says " I see that you don't have any supply chain management experience. The hiring manager is requiring 7+ years of experience. Thats kind of a deal breaker". Ok, then why did you get in touch with me for an interview? If anyone from Bluestem reads this; please write an accurate summary of qualifications for positions. This particular HR employee could use some professional courtesy training by learning how to not waste peoples time. It would help to read someones resume BEFORE calling them for an interview.

Interview Questions

• Same unimaginative questions almost all HR depts ask. Predictable behavior questions.   Answer Question

May 2, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Candidates should never feel that we don’t value their time or that we haven’t fully vetted their resume. I am sorry you had this experience and we ... More

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

2 reps interviewed me for a temporary Recruiter role. 1 rep talked 95 % of the time while the other was fairly new, I guess. Neither seemed too interested in conducting the interview as apparently they already had someone selected (I'm only speculating)? They did their best to awkwardly rush me out the door while paying very little attention to my answers or my questions regarding the position and the company. I asked them a question: When answering a question regarding the company and the role, they painted a picture of the position being very difficult... almost as if it was a position I shouldn't want to go after. Maybe they were each in a bad mood because of a reason I was unaware of, but it was an interview experience I wasn't real thrilled about.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience   1 Answer

May 29, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for telling us how we are doing. We are sorry that your experience was less than exceptional. We are thankful for the time every candidate spends with us and we do not take that for ... More

Project Management Interview

Interview

Long process, spanned over 3 months. Little communication from the HR contact. One phone interview, two additional on site interviews. The people I met with seemed very nice, bright and qualified. The lack of communication/ feedback during the entire process was really strange. I finally got a call on the status of the interview process, on Christmas Eve! I was informed that I would not be getting the position, they were filling thee position from within. What kind of HR department finds it appropriate to call someone on Christmas Eve to deliver that sort of news? I guess Bluestem does Hey sometimes interviewing for a position allows you to appreciate your current position. Wow!

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with under-performing team members, I was asked this several times.   Answer Question

Jan 8, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

We want candidates to have a great experience at Bluestem, so thanks for the feedback! Here’s the skinny: Our goal is to respond “same day” to candidate requests for updates. So, if we were ... More

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands in November 2014.

Interview

My initial phone interview lasted 15 minutes, pretty standard questions from an internal HR contact. The first interview took place during the first week of November. I was told they would be making a decision by by Friday the 7th. I did not hear from them and assumed that they did not wish to go forward. Two weeks later I received an email asking if I would like to interview in person. That interview went very well; the interviewer seemed on top of things, personable, and very likable. She then asked me if I would like to come in and meet the team to which I agreed. The second face to face interview was during the 2nd week of December. When I arrived the HR contact was not on site and things were bit confused. They finally tracked down a contact and we were able to proceed. Also, one of the scheduled interviewers was also not in the office, but it was arranged for someone else to take his place. My first two interviewers that day were very impressive, knowledgeable, likable and informative. The third interviewer that day showed up about 1/2 hour late and obviously had not read my resume. That interview was very strange, almost like a negative sell. While discussing the the project he stressed his frustration with the current system, the current lack of priorities, lack of direction, and even mentioned that they may not even move forward with the project. I was called a week and 1/2 later ( on Christmas Eve) and told that they were filling the position from within. The process started on October 28th and ended on December 24th. I really didn't appreciate the call on Christmas Eve, which certainly could have waited until after Christmas. Fortunately I have a position but I can not imagine how devastating it would be to receive such negative news on, of all days, Christmas Eve if that were not the case.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a number of times how I deal with team members who miss deadlines or under perform.   Answer Question

Dotcom Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Interview

I was contacted a 2 days after filling out an application to schedule a phone interview and was told they really wanted to talk to me. The phone interview was very basic. I just walked through my resume and described why I would be a good fit for the position giving examples of prior work history. I was brought in the following week to have an interview with 5 different people 30 minutes each. It was a pretty easy interview. No behavioral questions just talking about my past and vision and what drives me and what I could bring to the company. Everyone was really nice and seemed to really enjoy their job. They are a really fast growing company and there is a lot of opportunity there. It has been over 3 weeks now and I have yet to hear back. There has been no communication. When I reached out to them to ask where they were in the process, they said they were still in the very beginning stages and it would be a while. Their resources are very limited in HR. If this company is serious about growing, they need to be able to handle the workload on their end to hire for the positions that they are posting for. I have spoken to others that have applied for other positions and they had the same experience. I was excited for the opportunity to work there but this left a bad taste in my mouth. I have since moved on to another offer I received. I could not wait any longer for them to get their stuff together.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to use PowerPoint?   1 Answer

Product Content Support Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Interview

Had a 15 minute phone call learning about the position. Was later invited to an in-person interview that consisted of two 30 minute sessions with one interviewer each. I received positive feedback and was told they would be recommending me to fill the position. I was working with the senior recruiter who was extremely unprofessional. She was unreachable by phone and email for weeks even when the front desk told me she was in her office. I ended up getting another offer that I needed to respond to ASAP which I accepted. I couldn't wait for Bluestem to finally get back to me on the interview that I had three weeks prior. Communication was nonexistent.

Interview Questions

Bluestem Brands Response

Jun 16, 2014 – Senior Vice President, HR

My apologies for this situation. Bluestem would never want any employee, candidate, or customer to feel this way. I realize that you have moved on to a new role, however, please feel free to reach ... More

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN) in February 2014.

Interview

I originally had a phone interview which led into a person-to-person interview. The interview at BlueStem lasted about two hours and I met with different groups of people: marketing, sales, operations. They did a log of the talking which surprised me. They were all very nice people to talk to. I then had a final breakfast interview after I made it into the final three individuals.