Bluestem Brands Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

2.8

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eagan, MN) in September 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview as well as an on site interview. I had applied and been interviewed, thought that overall the interview was ok. It went well for the first interviewers who asked technical questions and explained the project more, but then the "talent acquisition director" from HR, the last of my 5 interviewers came in. She seemed very disinterested and made it plain that I was a waste of her time. I have no doubts that she made the call not to hire. I got notice a few days later that I did not get the job. a month later, I got another call back asking if I was still interested in the job, I told them I took another contract and was told to "be in touch" in the coming months as the position is like to still be open. None of my emails have been answered.

Interview Questions

Bluestem Brands Response

Jul 9, 2013 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the feedback. Feedback helps us determine if we are achieving an important objective of our interview process: delivering positive experiences for all candidates. We continuously ... More

Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN).

Interview

Several sets of interviews that included human resources, peers, managers and higher level leadership. I was asked many questions about my experience, how I handled situations in my previous employment and how I would handle them here. We talked at length about the culture here. We went through my portolio in detail. The people interviewing me seemed really eager and enthusiastic to talk to me and all seemed to genuinely like the company.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about a time when I had to deliver bad news to someone, and how I handled it. That kind of threw me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a tiny bit. They have awesome benefits, so I didn't feel like I really needed to.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Interview

It was okay. There was a pretty long phone interview then in person interviews. The time between interviews seemed a little long compared to other companies. The building is not all that great, but I was told it was going to improve? The HR people seemed a little confused about the job. And the HR person was late. That didn't give me a very good impresion. It seems like they are growing fast and there will be opportunity in the future.

Interview Questions

• About my career goals. About experiences I have had, situations at other companies. It seemed like they were looking for a good fit.   Answer Question

Jul 22, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

We really appreciate your feedback and will provide it back to our team. We are indeed moving into a new building in 2016 and are very excited about the move!

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands in November 2014.

Interview

My initial phone interview lasted 15 minutes, pretty standard questions from an internal HR contact. The first interview took place during the first week of November. I was told they would be making a decision by by Friday the 7th. I did not hear from them and assumed that they did not wish to go forward. Two weeks later I received an email asking if I would like to interview in person. That interview went very well; the interviewer seemed on top of things, personable, and very likable. She then asked me if I would like to come in and meet the team to which I agreed. The second face to face interview was during the 2nd week of December. When I arrived the HR contact was not on site and things were bit confused. They finally tracked down a contact and we were able to proceed. Also, one of the scheduled interviewers was also not in the office, but it was arranged for someone else to take his place. My first two interviewers that day were very impressive, knowledgeable, likable and informative. The third interviewer that day showed up about 1/2 hour late and obviously had not read my resume. That interview was very strange, almost like a negative sell. While discussing the the project he stressed his frustration with the current system, the current lack of priorities, lack of direction, and even mentioned that they may not even move forward with the project. I was called a week and 1/2 later ( on Christmas Eve) and told that they were filling the position from within. The process started on October 28th and ended on December 24th. I really didn't appreciate the call on Christmas Eve, which certainly could have waited until after Christmas. Fortunately I have a position but I can not imagine how devastating it would be to receive such negative news on, of all days, Christmas Eve if that were not the case.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a number of times how I deal with team members who miss deadlines or under perform.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN) in December 2010.

Interview

Was brought in for an in person interview for three different positions. Was then brought back for a second interview for two of them. Earned both positions, but was told which one to take based on the current needs of the company.

Negotiation

There was not much of a negotiating phase

Marketing Analyst, ECommerce Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied for the job in mid-December. I received a call shortly thereafter wanting to schedule a phone interview. I had that phone interview the day after Christmas. It was a fairly standard interview with an HR staffer. I heard back after a couple of weeks, letting me know that I was selected for an in-person interview. I met with the hiring manager and the director of the department. These interviews went well, so I was called back in mid-February for a second interview, where I met with two other marketing employees. I really had a good conversation with one of them in particular. I did not hear back at the time I expected followup, so I called the hiring manager. I found I did not get the job, but they were looking to see if they could add me in another role. This did not turn out as well. That being said, it was still a positive experience as I look for the right job for me.

Interview Questions

• What was a situation where you had to deal with a difficult person?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN) in February 2014.

Interview

I originally had a phone interview which led into a person-to-person interview. The interview at BlueStem lasted about two hours and I met with different groups of people: marketing, sales, operations. They did a log of the talking which surprised me. They were all very nice people to talk to. I then had a final breakfast interview after I made it into the final three individuals.

Project Management Interview

Interview

Long process, spanned over 3 months. Little communication from the HR contact. One phone interview, two additional on site interviews. The people I met with seemed very nice, bright and qualified. The lack of communication/ feedback during the entire process was really strange. I finally got a call on the status of the interview process, on Christmas Eve! I was informed that I would not be getting the position, they were filling thee position from within. What kind of HR department finds it appropriate to call someone on Christmas Eve to deliver that sort of news? I guess Bluestem does Hey sometimes interviewing for a position allows you to appreciate your current position. Wow!

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with under-performing team members, I was asked this several times.   Answer Question

Jan 8, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

We want candidates to have a great experience at Bluestem, so thanks for the feedback! Here’s the skinny: Our goal is to respond “same day” to candidate requests for updates. So, if we were ... More

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands in December 2009.

Interview

typical

Negotiation

counter offer made and accepted.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN) in March 2012.

Interview

The hiring process was very efficient and smooth. After applying you are contacted for a phone interview if they are interested in you. After that I was contacted to come in for a face-to-face interview with a few people in the company and was later called back for a final interview with yet a few more people in the company. They are a results-oriented and analytical company so be ready for some analytical-type interview questions. Overall HR was very prompt and flexible when scheduling the interviews and everything was very well organized. They were friendly, welcoming, and professional throughout the whole process. I was impressed!

Interview Questions

• Not needing an exact answer, but being more concered about how you come up with the answer to this question, how many McDonald's do you think there are in the U.S.?   1 Answer