Blurb Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2014

2.7

Senior Content Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Blurb in April 2012.

The process is a three step panel interview following a single phone interview. After the panel interview, if making it past the panel interview, there is one final interview with the hiring manager.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Blurb in April 2014.

Got an email from the HR and then set up an phone and online interview with director.It was about 35 minutes. First asked couples of Java question, 15 minutes later shared a screen with a java file to finish a coding problem.It looks like a linked list but not, took me about 20 minutes and worked out a draft. Then the director showed me how to correct and improve it. Then the interview is done. I never get a response again.

Interview Questions
    • It took a little while to read and understand the java class written by interviewer.   View Answer

Blurb Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Blurb.

Hiring process was typical, phone screen with hiring manager and returned for in person interviews. Scheduling was easy, but the interviews seemed unorganized. Interview style was primarily behavioral and with no specific agenda. Interview mostly appeared to get a sense of experience and competency and whether I'd be a good "fit". Would have been nice to have more organization in the process from reception to end.

Senior Director Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Blurb in January 2013.

I was contacted by the recruiter via LinkedIn and asked to interview for this role. After a phone interview with the recruiter, I had two individual hour-long phone interviews with the CFO and SVP of Print Ops. I was then asked to come in to meet with the team for in person interviews. I met with five people over a 5-hour period, including the hiring manager (CFO) and the team that would report to this position.

Overall, the interviews went well. However, I did not get a good sense of teamwork or general happiness at the company. I waited in the reception area for a few minutes when I first arrived and several employees walked past me without saying a word. No one inquired who I was there to see or if I had been assisted yet. It just didn't have a good energy. The people I interviewed with were all friendly and knowledgeable of the industry, company and needs for this role to success. I left with a strong feeling I would be given an offer.

The following week, the recruiter contacted me and asked for my references, which I provided. Then, the communication completely stopped. I had heard from several of my references that they had been contacted by the recruiter and/or hiring manager, but I hadn't heard from anyone at the company in weeks. One of my references said he spoke to the hiring manager for nearly an hour and was sure I'd get an offer based on their conversation. After about three weeks, I contacted the recruiter to get a status update on the position. She said they were still interviewing other people and would let me know next steps by the end of the week.

Another 10 days passed and I had not heard from the recruiter or anyone else. I contacted the CFO (hiring manager) to find out if I was still being considered for this role. He responded, without acknowledging the utter lack of communication and complete rudeness this behavior displayed, and said that I was one of the final candidates and he'd hoped to make a decision by the end of the week.

It has since been another three weeks and I never heard back. I decided to stop following up as this is not the kind of company I'd want to work for, especially in a leadership position. They spoke about respect and communication during the interview process but it seems they are all talk. Actions speak louder than words. I simply don't understand how a company could interview for a senior director position up to the point of checking references and not bother to follow up to let the candidate know they had decided not to make an offer. Personally, I find this very unprofessional and consider myself lucky to have dodged this bullet.

Operations Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Blurb in March 2013.

Like the other person before me commented, my experience is that they really didn't know what they were looking for. They had this job open for a while apparently and they didn't seem to have found the right person for it...I thought I was truly a perfect fit and felt more than qualified for it. Most importantly, I was genuinely interested in the company and not someone who had randomly applied for the job. I went through 3 stages of interviews: 2 phone interviews (with the recruiter and the hiring manager) and an in-person round of interviews with 5 other people for which I had to take time off work. When I talked to the hiring manager on the phone (at the second stage) she asked me about my experience with digital printing and although I do have some experience I have traditional publishing background and therefore I am mostly experienced with offset printing. (And I don't think that this really matters all that much if it comes down to it.)
    I was then invited to a round of in-person interviews at their office and felt that my interviews went pretty well. To my surprise a couple of days later they reposted the position with a different job title and slightly downgraded requirements. I asked the recruiter about it and she told me that apparently I did well and they liked me, but their only concern was the digital printing experience. I was left wondering why did I have to go through a whole day of interviews if in the end they would come back with something they already knew beforehand. But then, who knows what the real reason ever is...because if that was the true reason it surely felt like they wasted my time and didn't know what they wanted.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary - regular interview questions about my experience and background, why I want the job and why I want to leave my old job, etc (I had to answer this question about 17 times), HR behavioral questions, etc.   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Designer - Mobile Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blurb in April 2011.

I interviewed for this position in two short interviews. Overall, the outside recruiter led me to believe that everybody was excited about my background and my interest. I was excited. The position was identified as permanent, but then the recruiter started changing the story during the interview process.

I had two short interviews, was told by the recruiter they were very interested and wanted my references. The recruiter then said that they felt they didn't have enough work for this to be a permanent position, and wanted to do contract 32 hours a week. As the provider for my family and somebody firm on looking for a permanent position, I could not do this and made it clear. Then the recruiter said the HR person was going to talk to the creative director about combining this with another position and doing some web work too, in addition to the iPad/iphone/Android mobile work.

The recruiter then went on vacation and finally got back to me a week later after I sent her an email inquiring. In the meantime I guessed something was up - no one got back and I kept seeing the job ad pop up changed every week on Craigslist. No go apparently they wanted somebody with more visual design skills - and now this position is going to report into the user experience design group. Basically they didn't know what they were looking for, wasted my time and instead of giving me a chance to talk to the VP, basically put me on the backburner.

I'd suggest avoiding at all costs.

Worked for Blurb? Contribute to the Community!