Boart Longyear

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Services Manager Interview

Technical Services Manager
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Boart Longyear in May 2010.

Interview Details – Multiple and length interviews

Interview Question – How would you climb Mt. Everest?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Fairly cut and dried, Offer, accepted, went to work

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boart Longyear in November 2010.

Interview Details – When an opening arises, BLY requires an application to be filled out. Many of our candidates come through recruiting firms. It may or may not be helpful to know someone on the team before the interview process begins. Most of the questions will probe for your prior experience with the systems you will be supporting, and your technical and functional knowledge. You will be interviewed by the hiring managers and also the peers on the team you will be working with. They will assess your technical abilities, fit, attitude and ability to communicate.

Interview Question – How would you go about solving this or that problem, or how have you solved it in the past?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Brief. I was able to negotiate based on knowledge of consulting rates and salaries in the industry and area.

Director Interview

Director
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boart Longyear in January 2009.

Interview Details – Recruited by third party head hunter. Very aggressive, no non-sense approach. Had two phone interviews...recruiter and Hiring Manager. Had one full day of face to face interviews and received offer. Very positive experience. Not a lot of structure around the interviews. Each interviewer did their own style...most of it behavioral based.

Interview Question – A lot of questions arouny my ability to connect with the field and work wtih the effectively navigate on a global basis due to the significant number of countries involved.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told by the recruiter that they don't negotiate...they put their best offer forward up front. I negotiated some vacation time, but that was it.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Boart Longyear in April 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview and two face to face

Interview Question – None. Interviews were pretty easy going.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy since I worked through a recruiter who got me more money.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boart Longyear in May 2012.

Interview Details – Turned onto the company by a third-party recruiting organization.

I had two phone interviews and one face-to-face. The phone interviews were one-on-one and lasted about an hour each.

During the face-to-face interviews I met with six current employees and one consultant. They were made up of four team members, the director and the CIO. Lots of detailed questions.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was quick and easy. Great offer and more than I expected.

IT Interview

IT
Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed at Boart Longyear in June 2013.

Interview Details – The top guys/gal running IT know little to nothing about IT (they got promoted into their positions when they fired the CIO and others). They are poker players so watch what you say.

Reason for Declining – Not the copmany I wanted to work for.

Global Supply Chain & Warehousing Leader Interview

Global Supply Chain & Warehousing Leader
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boart Longyear in March 2012.

Interview Details – Working through a recruiter, I began with a phone interview with the recruiter. That phone interview was followed by two more phone interviews, one with the VP of Central Materials (hiring manager) and the other with the Director of Supply Chain HR. I was invited to travel to corporate HQ to interview with multiple people, including the VP Central Materials, Director Supply Chain HR, the CEO, the SVP of Supply Chain and SVP of HR. The interviews were positive, but everything went quiet. After stringing my along almost two months, they finally admitted the open position had been withdrawn and they decided not to fill the opening this year.

Interview Question – They asked about my ability to be demanding, including yelling at other workers when necessary, explaining that was sometimes required when working with people from other cultures.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Manager
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Boart Longyear in May 2008.

Interview Details – Contacted by internal contract recruiter. I sent a resume to the recruiter. He then set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. I then came in for a full day of interviews. The next day I was asked to provide multiple reference contacts. I was offered the job a couple of days later...the rest is history.

Interview Questions

• Something about the biggest mistake I ever made in my career...what were the implications and how did I fix it.   Answer Question
  • I was given a real situation that Boart was dealing with...I was put on the spot and asked how I would address the issue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told by the recruiter that the company does not negotiate. I was given a competitive offer and accepted.

Manufacturing Engineer - Sourcing Interview

Manufacturing Engineer - Sourcing
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boart Longyear in October 2009.

Interview Details – Received an invitation for a pre-screen phone interview with the HR Manager. Standard behavioral based questions about your career. This then setup a phone interview with the hiring manager. Received and email from an HR Associate setting up the date and time and who with. The time came around and noone called me. I sent an email and made a phone call to the person in HR but didn't hear anything. Then, I sent an email to the person that I would be interviewing with. Next day, I received a response and was told that I was suppose to be interviewing with another hiring manager.

I finally setup another phone interview and proceeded with it. I waited for probably 15 minutes after the time they were suppose to call me and call the HR Associate to let them know that noone had called me again. Within 5 minutes, I was on the phone with the hiring manager. By this, I wasn't very impressed with the people that I was corresponding with.

They were looking for someone with an extensive technical background in design more than manufacturing. The were really looking for someone that could interpret the designs to the supplier.

Interview Question – Tell me more about experience x....   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Almaty (Kazakhstan)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boart Longyear in February 2010.

Interview Details – Three level interviews, the latter more interesting without traditional questions for bla-bla answers. First level was to check if you is capable to do something and with two persons jumping from one subject to another and trying to kick you off. Then there were telephone discussions with the exchange of emails for conditions' negotiations, where job title was different to what was proposed from the beggining, saying that this for my good to pass the probation period with lower position and salary. Second round was more interesting with IQ and psycologic tests. The last one was for final confirmation.

Interview Question – It is not easy to put a difficult or unexpected question for me, because I have ready answers for the most of tricky stuff. I have 2 versions of answers - official and how it is in a reality. Depending on situation I give them what they expect to here.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Asked what you want, they will not give you a lot.

Worked for Boart Longyear? Contribute to the Community!