Boart Longyear

Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.9

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

interviewed at Boart Longyear in June 2013.

The top guys/gal running IT know little to nothing about IT (they got promoted into their positions when they fired the CIO and others). They are poker players so watch what you say.

Not the copmany I wanted to work for.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boart Longyear in May 2012.

Turned onto the company by a third-party recruiting organization.

I had two phone interviews and one face-to-face. The phone interviews were one-on-one and lasted about an hour each.

During the face-to-face interviews I met with six current employees and one consultant. They were made up of four team members, the director and the CIO. Lots of detailed questions.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was quick and easy. Great offer and more than I expected.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Boart Longyear in April 2012.

Phone interview and two face to face

Interview Questions
    Easy since I worked through a recruiter who got me more money.

Global Supply Chain & Warehousing Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boart Longyear in March 2012.

Working through a recruiter, I began with a phone interview with the recruiter. That phone interview was followed by two more phone interviews, one with the VP of Central Materials (hiring manager) and the other with the Director of Supply Chain HR. I was invited to travel to corporate HQ to interview with multiple people, including the VP Central Materials, Director Supply Chain HR, the CEO, the SVP of Supply Chain and SVP of HR. The interviews were positive, but everything went quiet. After stringing my along almost two months, they finally admitted the open position had been withdrawn and they decided not to fill the opening this year.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about my ability to be demanding, including yelling at other workers when necessary, explaining that was sometimes required when working with people from other cultures.   View Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boart Longyear in July 2011.

Standard interview process. Very informal. Some interviewers were very structured. Others were more conversational. A lot of questions surrounding ability to work/manage resources around the globe. A few of the Executives were pretty full of themselves.

Interview Questions
    There did not seem to be a lot of room for negotiation

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boart Longyear in November 2010.

When an opening arises, BLY requires an application to be filled out. Many of our candidates come through recruiting firms. It may or may not be helpful to know someone on the team before the interview process begins. Most of the questions will probe for your prior experience with the systems you will be supporting, and your technical and functional knowledge. You will be interviewed by the hiring managers and also the peers on the team you will be working with. They will assess your technical abilities, fit, attitude and ability to communicate.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about solving this or that problem, or how have you solved it in the past?   Answer Question
    Brief. I was able to negotiate based on knowledge of consulting rates and salaries in the industry and area.

Technical Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boart Longyear in May 2010.

Multiple and length interviews

Interview Questions
    Fairly cut and dried, Offer, accepted, went to work

Manufacturing Engineer - Sourcing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boart Longyear in October 2009.

Received an invitation for a pre-screen phone interview with the HR Manager. Standard behavioral based questions about your career. This then setup a phone interview with the hiring manager. Received and email from an HR Associate setting up the date and time and who with. The time came around and noone called me. I sent an email and made a phone call to the person in HR but didn't hear anything. Then, I sent an email to the person that I would be interviewing with. Next day, I received a response and was told that I was suppose to be interviewing with another hiring manager.

I finally setup another phone interview and proceeded with it. I waited for probably 15 minutes after the time they were suppose to call me and call the HR Associate to let them know that noone had called me again. Within 5 minutes, I was on the phone with the hiring manager. By this, I wasn't very impressed with the people that I was corresponding with.

They were looking for someone with an extensive technical background in design more than manufacturing. The were really looking for someone that could interpret the designs to the supplier.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boart Longyear in January 2009.

Recruited by third party head hunter. Very aggressive, no non-sense approach. Had two phone interviews...recruiter and Hiring Manager. Had one full day of face to face interviews and received offer. Very positive experience. Not a lot of structure around the interviews. Each interviewer did their own style...most of it behavioral based.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions arouny my ability to connect with the field and work wtih the effectively navigate on a global basis due to the significant number of countries involved.   Answer Question
    I was told by the recruiter that they don't negotiate...they put their best offer forward up front. I negotiated some vacation time, but that was it.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boart Longyear in May 2008.

Contacted by internal contract recruiter. I sent a resume to the recruiter. He then set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. I then came in for a full day of interviews. The next day I was asked to provide multiple reference contacts. I was offered the job a couple of days later...the rest is history.

Interview Questions
    • Something about the biggest mistake I ever made in my career...what were the implications and how did I fix it.   Answer Question
    • I was given a real situation that Boart was dealing with...I was put on the spot and asked how I would address the issue.   Answer Question
    I was told by the recruiter that the company does not negotiate. I was given a competitive offer and accepted.