Bodybuilding.com

Easy interview with staff

Inventory Control Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shiremanstown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shiremanstown, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bodybuilding.com in March 2013.

I was actually recommended by the site manager. I was at one time his Lead and worked with him for 9 years. I interviewed with him and another site leader. I have very good references so I only had one interview..

Interview Questions
    • My most uncomfortable experience at work.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bodybuilding.com in April 2011.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter regarding a software engineering position with bodybuilding.com. We first exchanged emails around my interest in the position and my thoughts about relocating to Boise, ID. After several rounds of emails, we followed up with a phone call to discuss the position in greater detail. Before submitting my name to bodybuilding.com, I was asked to complete a short 10 question written “quiz”. The questions ranged in scope, but were mostly centered around OOP.

About a week later, I was scheduled for a phone screening with the hiring manager at bodybuilding.com. This conversation lasted roughly ½ hour and covered many topics ranging from OOP principles, web architecture, business knowledge and company culture.

Several days after the phone screening, I received word that bodybuilding.com was interested in a face to face interview in Boise. A schedule was agreed upon and bodybuilding.com made all arrangements.
    The face to face interview consisted of two parts. The first part was a typical behavioral type interview with the hiring manager and one of their Sr. Engineers. This lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of questions like “tell me about a time when…”.

The second part of the interview centered more around technical topics and was conducted by four software engineers – this part of the interview lasted about 2 ½ hours. A wide range of topics were covered as they were digging to learn my boundaries. Topics included OOP questions, design patterns, web servers, server platforms, databases and many “what would you do in this scenario…” type questions.

Overall it was a great experience – very knowledgeable people. In the end, however, it was determined our “fit” wasn’t quite right for what they were looking for.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meridian, ID
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meridian, ID

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bodybuilding.com in March 2009.

Interviewing at Bodybuilding.com really drove home the fact that interviewing is as much a skill as giving an interview.

The interviewers were pretty clueless as to what they wanted for the interview. Indeed, the development manager threw in random, undesired programming technologies just to see who it might kick up.

The preliminary interview questions went ok and were easily answered. However, then the development manager allowed an underling to conduct the rest of the interview. This individual had obviously been through interviews and had a vague idea how interviews were conducted, but completely fell apart when it came time to conduct the interview.

His excuse was that clients can often be difficult to work with and can give conflicting requirements. However, most clients are at least halfway intelligent and have a vision of what they want. This interviewer had no such vision and was lacking even that much intelligence. And he obviously had come up with a couple questions he considered to be real zingers because he kept asking me questions *as I was escaping.*

Before dismissing my experience as a bad day or even sour grapes since I didn't get an offer (I wouldn't have accepted if I had to work with this guy), I have had a similar report from two other developers who interviewed with Bodybuilding.

Interview Questions
    • Design the object model of a system that only I know and I'm not going to give you any details.   Answer Question