Bodybuilding.com

Very Easy Interview

Regulatory Compliance Manager Interview

Regulatory Compliance Manager
Meridian, ID

I interviewed at Bodybuilding.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for this position a few months ago. It was advertised on Indeed.com as a Regulatory Compliance Manager position for an online retailer of dietary supplements, in my local area of Salt Lake City, Utah. Upon applying, I was contacted and informed the position was actually for Bodybuilding.com...in Meridian, ID. Apparently the person currently in the position had been there several years, they were hired because they were a personal friend of an executive, but the scope of the position had become too great for this person's education, experience, and/or abilities. The reason they were advertising in SLC was because they planned to replace the person without their knowing, and transfer them to a new position maybe disguised as a promotion of some sort. Talk about a shady way to handle employees. Not to mention awkward for the person hired to replace that person. No thanks.

Interview Question – You applied for a job in Salt Lake City, Utah. Want to work in Meridian, Idaho?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Inventory Control Manager Interview

Inventory Control Manager
Shiremanstown, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Bodybuilding.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was actually recommended by the site manager. I was at one time his Lead and worked with him for 9 years. I interviewed with him and another site leader. I have very good references so I only had one interview..

Interview Question – My most uncomfortable experience at work.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boise, ID

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bodybuilding.com in April 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter regarding a software engineering position with bodybuilding.com. We first exchanged emails around my interest in the position and my thoughts about relocating to Boise, ID. After several rounds of emails, we followed up with a phone call to discuss the position in greater detail. Before submitting my name to bodybuilding.com, I was asked to complete a short 10 question written “quiz”. The questions ranged in scope, but were mostly centered around OOP.

About a week later, I was scheduled for a phone screening with the hiring manager at bodybuilding.com. This conversation lasted roughly ½ hour and covered many topics ranging from OOP principles, web architecture, business knowledge and company culture.

Several days after the phone screening, I received word that bodybuilding.com was interested in a face to face interview in Boise. A schedule was agreed upon and bodybuilding.com made all arrangements.
The face to face interview consisted of two parts. The first part was a typical behavioral type interview with the hiring manager and one of their Sr. Engineers. This lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of questions like “tell me about a time when…”.

The second part of the interview centered more around technical topics and was conducted by four software engineers – this part of the interview lasted about 2 ½ hours. A wide range of topics were covered as they were digging to learn my boundaries. Topics included OOP questions, design patterns, web servers, server platforms, databases and many “what would you do in this scenario…” type questions.

Overall it was a great experience – very knowledgeable people. In the end, however, it was determined our “fit” wasn’t quite right for what they were looking for.

Interview Question – Tell me about design patterns and how you use them.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Meridian, ID

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bodybuilding.com in March 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewing at Bodybuilding.com really drove home the fact that interviewing is as much a skill as giving an interview.

The interviewers were pretty clueless as to what they wanted for the interview. Indeed, the development manager threw in random, undesired programming technologies just to see who it might kick up.

The preliminary interview questions went ok and were easily answered. However, then the development manager allowed an underling to conduct the rest of the interview. This individual had obviously been through interviews and had a vague idea how interviews were conducted, but completely fell apart when it came time to conduct the interview.

His excuse was that clients can often be difficult to work with and can give conflicting requirements. However, most clients are at least halfway intelligent and have a vision of what they want. This interviewer had no such vision and was lacking even that much intelligence. And he obviously had come up with a couple questions he considered to be real zingers because he kept asking me questions *as I was escaping.*

Before dismissing my experience as a bad day or even sour grapes since I didn't get an offer (I wouldn't have accepted if I had to work with this guy), I have had a similar report from two other developers who interviewed with Bodybuilding.

Interview Question – Design the object model of a system that only I know and I'm not going to give you any details.   Answer Question

Worked for Bodybuilding.com? Contribute to the Community!