Boeing Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.8

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Engineer Interview

Very generic interview with only four or five impersonal questions.

Questions were about previous work experience or about how you would handle a situation or experience.

I believe the interview followed the STAR method. Situation, task, action, result

Other Interview Reviews for Boeing

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Boeing in September 2013.

I hired through the accelerated hiring program. I interviewed with three employees that had graduated from my college. They asked five standard behavioral interview questions. The first was why I believed I was qualified for the job. The next two were about how well I work with people from different backgrounds. And the last two were about how my previous work experience.
    The interview was about an hour long. It was pretty involved. It definitely helped that I had met two out of three of my interviewers and had lengthy conversations with them before my interview (at a networking event and the career fair).

Interview Questions
    • The question regarding when I had worked with people of different backgrounds kind of threw me off because even though it's something I do everyday, it's not something I actively think about so I couldn't think of a specific scenario to tell them.   Answer Question
    No opportunity to negotiation as an intern. Just an offer letter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boeing in February 2010.

2 interviews. Technical in nature

not pleasant

Engineer Interview

I had submitted resumes for multiple positions but heard nothing. Months later I received an email that there was a contractor position available. A telephone interview was set up

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were technical and relevant to the job I would be doing. No STAR type questions.   Answer Question
    Accepted the offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Boeing in March 2013.

Just some hints I wish I knew when I first started applying:

- Boeing does NOT have any way of getting around the online application process. You apply online. I have family and friends who work there. I met some of the management at a picnic. All said the same thing, there is no longer a "Good old boys" type networking. You have to apply for the jobs online.

- One caveat, if you go t a career fair at your university or one open to those in your community, you may be able to get a special requisition number for unadvertised jobs if you qualify. This is still all strictly by the books hiring and HR approved. You can't ask your friends for secret req's.

- Apply to as many jobs as you qualify for. Unlike some other companies that may consider you for relevant positions and unlike some other companies that will even disqualify you for applying too much, Boeing encourages applicants to apply to as many jobs as you qualify for. You are only considered for those you apply for. That said, it's a numbers game and some applications take many months to respond. Do not get discouraged. As long as you qualify for them, 50 applications is not unheard of before receiving a response.

- Be completely honest on your background check. They are sticklers for honesty. If anything does not match up--a firing, a missing job, missing education, some criminal record--even if you think it is long ago and forgotten, list it. Disclosure is encouraged, and if anything pops up that you left out, you may not be able to apply again for a set period of time in the years.

-The program you are interviewing for is the program you will be working on. If you are interviewing for the 777, study that program so you can ask some relevant questions. The people you are interviewing with will likely be from your potential team, so don't bother mentioning something about the 747 at a 777 interview. While it's "One Boeing" and you may jump around programs later in your career, you want to stay focused on why you are excited to work on that one program. Be psyched, there are some great programs out there!!

Interview Questions
    • S.T.A.R. style questions -- all easy, just try to think of a ton of relevant anecdotes you can pluck from during the interview. Show your nerdy, technical, interesting and best side with each story.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Got flown half way across the country to interview with two different groups. The hiring manager in the first group literally said "we don't know what to talk about" as we sat down in the conference room. Absolutely ridiculous interview! Waste of their money, and worse, my time!

Interview Questions
    • The second hiring manager spent all the 1 hour interview telling me about the position instead of gauging my technical ability in design or design software. No idea why they even had me flown out! Extremely unprofessional!   View Answer

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boeing in January 2013.

Initial meeting was at a career fair and a couple of weeks later I got a phone call to schedule a phone interview. I received a call a couple minutes later than the set up time, but everything went smoothly. It was more like having a conversation then going through an interview.

Engineer Interview

Interviewed over the phone for an engineering position. A group of 5 was on the other end! Asked me your basic behavioral questions related to the position and how it will help you succeed. 3 fairly simple technical questions (describe these terms/concepts as best you can).

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boeing.

I applied online through the BESS System in June. The position closed at the end of June. Made sure my resume and job experience matched what the position required in the competencies section. (I have heard that BESS weeds out the resumes based on keywords and less than 1% of resumes submitted make it to the hiring manager, again just what I heard from others. I also heard that if you just copy/paste the competencies into your resume it automatically gets tossed.)

Two weeks after I applied I received an email to fill out an employment application online. I did, and included my current salary/position etc. One week later I received an email from the hiring manager to schedule a 1 hour structured phone interview and he even attached a pdf with sample STAR interview questions to help me prepare. I scheduled the interview for a week or so after I got that email. The interview was supposed to last one hour but lasted about 1 1/2 hours. There were no technical questions asked. Only STAR interview questions that were right off the competencies. The interviewers were the hiring manager, the department lead, and a senior engineer. They took turns, and asked 5 questions total.

One month later I was invited to visit the site via an email from the hiring manager. I spent 3 hours meeting everyone on the team I would be working with, seeing the different buildings and processes and learning about what I would be working on. Also, they PAID for flight, hotel, car, and reimbursed for food and gas. (I've read where others have paid this out of pocket without being reimbursed, why would you do that? If they won't pay for your flight/hotel then at the minimum get it reimbursed.) The site visit was on a Friday. The very next Monday I was given a contingent offer. I have heard that this process differs by position (engineering, labor, HR etc) location, department, group, and need and at an average takes 3-5 weeks for an offer to be made.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. This was a structured interview using the STAR interview method. To abide by their policies I cannot say verbatim what the questions were. But I can tell you that, at least for this position, every question was based on the competencies and were geared to find out how I work with others and deal with certain situations.   View Answer

So I'm not sure why Boeing's engineering salaries are so low. I was actually blown away by how poor this offer was. They offered me 30% less than my current salary. How do you even negotiate that? How do they come up with these so called "market" rates and what engineers are actually taking these offers? I negotiated back and they didn't even come up at all. What level 2 engineer would take 70k? I made 72k coming out of college as an entry level engineer. Don't get me wrong, Boeing is an amazing company to work for, they have awesome programs and great people. But you can work for a small to mid-sized aerospace or defense company and make WAY better money, plus get comparable benefits and bonuses and still work on cool programs. Unless you are desperate for a job, keep applying to other places that will pay you what you are worth.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boeing in March 2012.

Started with a phone interview and online personality check. Then proceeded to a face to face interview.