Boeing Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boeing in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got contacted to organize an interview within a week. Interview was an hour long. I basically spoke to two robots "engineering managers" who read questions off a script, asked the same question rephrased 3 times, and sounded like they had very little clue about software engineering or computer science at all. Halfway through the interview after answering the same question for the third time, I decided I didn't even want to work for a company with as embarrassing as an interview process as this. Practice your acting skills, polish up your stories, and you should do just fine.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with others? Describe a time when you had to work with a difficult co-worker to finish a task? Explain a time where you had to deal with a difficult group member. Tell us about a time you faced a conflict with a supervisor or manager. Tell me about a situation where you had a conflict at work. Describe a time when you were working on a team project and you had to motivate your teammates to accomplish their tasks. What was the situation? What role did you play? What was the outcome? .. ad infinitum   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boeing

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boeing (Anaheim, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was at a job fair. I had the first interview on the spot. It was mainly focused on my background. No behavioral/technical question. The second interview was focused on the technical details about the most challenging projects encountered in my professional path. There were also behavioral questions. If you are lying about your background, it will show up during this phase, so be honest on your resume (honesty always pays back). The last interview was a team interview. I hated it! I happened to be interviewed with other 3 guys. Two of them were very nice and smart. The other two people talked the whole time. One also interrupted me in the moment during which I was trying to say something. The other one was a Chinese with a very strong accent. I couldn't understand what he was saying. So that played a big role on my whole performance. I work really well with other people, but this shows you the inefficacy of team interviews. You can perform poorly because of the other team members.

Interview Questions

• I can't tell you the questions because I signed a NDE paper. But they were not hard questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boeing.

Interview

Applied online... a couple of weeks later was sent a questionnaire to fill out via email... a week later asked to fill out an application online... a couple of weeks later was emailed that I had been selected for an interview, was given a date but not a time or location... then two days before the interview was emailed the rest of the details. So it's a long process without much details or personal touch along the way. Interviewed in front of a panel of people... standard behavioral type questions. The interview panel was nice but it was a very structured process. Was allowed to ask questions at the end.

Interview Questions

• There are 5 or 6 standard behavioral questions all expecting a star response.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boeing (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

The interviewer has a list of questions that are clearly from a script, where they are sure the are P.C. and couldn't possibly be grounds for a complaint. That makes it difficult for both sides to actually communicate anything meaningful about the job or how interactions with the rest of the team might go.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected thing is there weren't any questions that actually meant anything. I knew about the actual work being done through my connection.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, as this was a contract with a fixed billing rate.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was first contacted via email asking if I'd be interested in a phone interview for a position in Long Beach I had applied to about a month earlier. Details were sorted out over two calls with an office manager, and the interview itself was a conference call with 3 directors, including a team manager, a department director, and the site director.

Interview Questions

• The questions were generic behavioral types, without a lot of follow ups. The closest thing to a surprise was a question towards my experience in an Agile development environment, that seemed targeted at fleshing out if I really understood what the term meant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boeing (Saint Louis, MO) in November 2013.

Interview

I had an hour long phone interview that had three parts. First, some administrative stuff, then 6 questions, and finally some time for me to ask a few questions. The six questions were a mix between experience and personality traits.

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to testing a large scale software project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boeing (Fairfax, VA) in November 2013.

Interview

I got an initial on-campus interview in late September 2013. This interview was a behavioral interview, and it was 3 on 1. It was the typical Boeing structured interview. I did not get a letter of intent from this interview. However, they kept my resume in the system, and I was contacted about 3 weeks later by another Boeing recruiter. I set up phone interviews with 2 different hiring managers for Argon ST, a Boeing subsidiary in Fairfax, VA. These interviews were structured interviews as well. About 3 weeks after these phone interviews, I was invited to go on-site in Fairfax for a group interview and office tour. The first hour of this process was in a meeting room with 5 or 6 managers and engineers. It was very informal, with them describing what they worked on, asking me 2 coding questions, and then giving me the chance to ask questions. After that, I got an office tour for about a half hour. I really liked their office - it seemed most people had individual or 2-person offices, but there was also an agile room. In addition, the work hours offered were flexible, and the company would pay for grad school. I ended up getting an offer the next week, and it was a very competitive offer with great benefits. I had another job offer I preferred, but if I decide to move back to the DC area, I would definitely try and apply again to Boeing.

Interview Questions

• Write code to parse a string and count the number of occurrences of each word.   1 Answer

I had a better offer elsewhere. I definitely would have been happy working here, however. I would absolutely recommend this company to anyone.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boeing.

Interview

They went over the basic STAR procedure and asked me several questions concerning engineering in general. They expected me to relate the questions back to my experience in labs and at work. The interview was fairly straightforward and easy to comprehend. As long as you remember Situation, Task, Action and Result, you should be fine.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boeing in May 2013.

Interview

Was called to set up a phone interview. Interviewer was very helpful and clear about what the team was looking for ahead of time. Phone interview was a group of 5 with 1 being the hiring manager and the rest being team members. All questions were STAR based and fairly common questions (tell us a time when X happened). No technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• A deadline is approaching and you cannot finish all the work left on time - do you partially do everything or completely do a few things leaving others not implemented?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boeing (El Segundo, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Everything question was required to be answered in STAR structure. Questions its self were easy to answer since it was a structured interview. It took a full month for any response after the interview.

Interview Questions

• None of the question were difficult or unexpected. I felt they were more looking into my personality then the answer.   Answer Question