Boeing Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Boeing (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

It was six STAR questions asked by a three person panel. They were very stiff, didn't take many notes and I felt very awkward. I found out after the fact that they were interviewing me for an analyst position, not an engineering position as HR alluded to, not sure what happened.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boeing

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boeing.

Interview

Boeing uses a structured interview that focuses on situations you have encountered an how you react. Be sure to clearly define the situation, what you did about it, and the result. Do not get to wordy or you will lose the interviewer.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

interviewed at Boeing in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online in October 2014 and was invited in for an interview a couple of weeks thereafter. The interview was STAR formatted. Two people (a hiring manager and a team leader) were involved in the interview, which was very comfortable and informal in nature. Overall, a great experience.

Interview Questions

• No question stood out as being particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boeing (Houston, TX).

Interview

The first call was from HR to setup an interview directly with the hiring manager. The actual interview call was fairly laid back as they listened to experience and previous duties. There was no standard template they followed (what are your strengths, weaknesses, etc). It was all to the point of the particular position. The in person interview was casual as well with questions about my past experience but with a little more detail. After that I was given a tour of the area I would be working.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really, I thought was too tough. All though I have been in interviews and asked technical textbook questions which hardly anyone uses outside of an advanced college engineering course.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Have a number in mind, but know that they are likely to hold on to your initial salary asking in the form you filled out when you first applied. Even if after the interview the job is more demanding then the requisition states. The problem is the HR is virtual in another state so they are not motivated to negotiate much on behalf of the hiring manager if your over their offer.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boeing.

Interview

My position came about through college recruiting. Initially I secured an internship with Boeing, and converted that to a full time job upon graduation. Initially I applied online after speaking with representatives at my school's career fair. Like many large companies online applications are largely mandatory, whether you go through that channel or not you must be in their system. I applied for something like 5 intenships and was contacted by an interested recruiter about a month and a half later. The interview process was largely informal and done over the phone. My first interview was about 20 minutes, and the focus was more on my interests than my ability, it began with an overview of the positions available and moved onto a discussion of how interested I was in the various available positions. A lot of the screening process happens before you are contacted based on your resume that component of the process is critical. The recruiter I spoke with assessed my interest areas and then referred me to a hiring manager with a matching position. My discussion with the hiring manager consisted of them describing the job and asking my thoughts. I was interested and had an offer later that week, which I signed. After my internship ended I was placed on leave of absence to be placed in a job during the school year. I applied to a couple of positions online, but secured my full time position essentially out of no where when someone I had worked with contacted me to see if I was interested in a position. The process to secure my full time position was largely the same as my internship following that point.

Interview Questions

• The interviews will focus on your interest in the work, and what experience you have that applies to those specific areas. I was asked something along the lines of "What skills did you learn at your former job that you think will be positive discriminators for this position?" Be ready with concrete examples of skills you have developed and projects you've delivered that are similar to the work scope for the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had a two week period to review the offer and discuss the details of it. Boeing has an exceptional benefits package and competitive pay, so I elected not to negotiate any portion of the package and accept it as is. I will say that trying to get a signing bonus or relocation assistance may be challenging, reviewing Boeing's policies for those benefits they are relatively rare at the moment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boeing (Huntsville, AL) in August 2013.

Interview

2 Phone Interviews. First one was with one person. The next phone interview was with a panel of people that included a hiring manager. Questions are asked, but job offer not given until 2-3 weeks later. The job offer came directly with someone I am currently working with. He called to let me know I have the job and that HR will be emailing the offer sheet.

Interview Questions

• What are some conflicts you had in a professional setting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boeing (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

The questions asked were mainly behavioral questions and expected me to answer in the STAR format. It was a structured interview. For example, they asked me to describe the most challenging project I worked on, what did I do and what was the results.

Interview Questions

• The best way to prepare is to be familiar with the STAR interview method. There are plenty of resources online.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boeing.

Interview

You have to apply online using their in-house staffing system (BESS). Resumes are screened by software before being forwarded to managers, so pay close attention to the job description and make sure your resume addresses all points. Structured phone interview -- they ask all candidates the same questions, then they give you an open-ended opportunity to ask questions. You may not have direct experience relating to the interview questions, but answer them as best you can. The open-ended portion is where you have an opportunity to stand out. Keep following the staffing website -- most communications happen there. If you receive and accept an offer, you will have to go through a set of contingencies (drug screening, background check, etc.). Once that is cleared, you will be given a start date -- two actually, a brief pre-employment processing on a Wednesday to clear final paperwork and have your badge photo taken, and your orientation date the following Friday, which is your official start date.

Interview Questions

• As part of the process, interviewees agree not to share any of the questions asked. The interview is a structured behavioral interview, in STAR format.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boeing (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

As others have mentioned, it is a SAR (STAR but there is really no "T" anymore) format. It was the Dept Manager and a member of his team that I was on with. There wasn't a lot of easy convo and you can feel at times like this isn't going well due to the silence, but they help you by elaborating if you don't answer the questions thoroughly. I felt like I messed up a little on a question, but I may have been being too hard on myself. I do think that if you relax and be yourself, then what they liked about you on the resume will shine through. I like what some people said and I tried to remember that in my interview: "They already want you, the interview is designed to see if you will talk yourself out of the sale..." Remember to ask for contact info in order to send a unique and sincere thank you to each interviewer. I had to wait a couple days until they knew if it was okay to give it to me, so don't be discouraged if you get that response.

Negotiation

You make a request to counter the offer and then HR will open the counter-offer tab on your offer under your account. Was able to negotiate and I was happy with the counter, but don't be surprised if they don't come up at all and they likely won't come up to what you ask for.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

interviewed at Boeing (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

There were initially 2 phone round interviews where I spoke with a hr rep and an engineer. A week later I was contacted for an onsite interview. Boeing paid for the flights to get me to the location as well as provided me with a car and a hotel to stay at. The interview was for the most part very behavioral. Boeing uses the STAR approach. 4 different people from various groups interviewed me on site and each person was mostly just looking to see if I would be a good fit in Boeing and their culture. One engineer did ask me several technical questions but nothing too hard (some digital communication ones).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked in a group where there was problems between groupmates. How did you resolve the issue and was it successful.   Answer Question