Boeing

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boeing.

Interview Details – My position came about through college recruiting. Initially I secured an internship with Boeing, and converted that to a full time job upon graduation.

Initially I applied online after speaking with representatives at my school's career fair. Like many large companies online applications are largely mandatory, whether you go through that channel or not you must be in their system.

I applied for something like 5 intenships and was contacted by an interested recruiter about a month and a half later. The interview process was largely informal and done over the phone. My first interview was about 20 minutes, and the focus was more on my interests than my ability, it began with an overview of the positions available and moved onto a discussion of how interested I was in the various available positions. A lot of the screening process happens before you are contacted based on your resume that component of the process is critical. The recruiter I spoke with assessed my interest areas and then referred me to a hiring manager with a matching position.

My discussion with the hiring manager consisted of them describing the job and asking my thoughts. I was interested and had an offer later that week, which I signed.

After my internship ended I was placed on leave of absence to be placed in a job during the school year. I applied to a couple of positions online, but secured my full time position essentially out of no where when someone I had worked with contacted me to see if I was interested in a position. The process to secure my full time position was largely the same as my internship following that point.

Interview Question – The interviews will focus on your interest in the work, and what experience you have that applies to those specific areas. I was asked something along the lines of "What skills did you learn at your former job that you think will be positive discriminators for this position?"

Be ready with concrete examples of skills you have developed and projects you've delivered that are similar to the work scope for the position.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had a two week period to review the offer and discuss the details of it. Boeing has an exceptional benefits package and competitive pay, so I elected not to negotiate any portion of the package and accept it as is.

I will say that trying to get a signing bonus or relocation assistance may be challenging, reviewing Boeing's policies for those benefits they are relatively rare at the moment.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boeing in April 2013.

Interview Details – The questions asked were mainly behavioral questions and expected me to answer in the STAR format. It was a structured interview. For example, they asked me to describe the most challenging project I worked on, what did I do and what was the results.

Interview Question – The best way to prepare is to be familiar with the STAR interview method. There are plenty of resources online.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boeing.

Interview Details – You have to apply online using their in-house staffing system (BESS). Resumes are screened by software before being forwarded to managers, so pay close attention to the job description and make sure your resume addresses all points.

Structured phone interview -- they ask all candidates the same questions, then they give you an open-ended opportunity to ask questions. You may not have direct experience relating to the interview questions, but answer them as best you can. The open-ended portion is where you have an opportunity to stand out.

Keep following the staffing website -- most communications happen there. If you receive and accept an offer, you will have to go through a set of contingencies (drug screening, background check, etc.). Once that is cleared, you will be given a start date -- two actually, a brief pre-employment processing on a Wednesday to clear final paperwork and have your badge photo taken, and your orientation date the following Friday, which is your official start date.

Interview Question – As part of the process, interviewees agree not to share any of the questions asked. The interview is a structured behavioral interview, in STAR format.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed at Boeing in June 2012.

Interview Details – There were initially 2 phone round interviews where I spoke with a hr rep and an engineer. A week later I was contacted for an onsite interview. Boeing paid for the flights to get me to the location as well as provided me with a car and a hotel to stay at. The interview was for the most part very behavioral. Boeing uses the STAR approach. 4 different people from various groups interviewed me on site and each person was mostly just looking to see if I would be a good fit in Boeing and their culture. One engineer did ask me several technical questions but nothing too hard (some digital communication ones).

Interview Question – Describe a time when you worked in a group where there was problems between groupmates. How did you resolve the issue and was it successful.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boeing in June 2012.

Interview Details – As others have mentioned, it is a SAR (STAR but there is really no "T" anymore) format. It was the Dept Manager and a member of his team that I was on with. There wasn't a lot of easy convo and you can feel at times like this isn't going well due to the silence, but they help you by elaborating if you don't answer the questions thoroughly. I felt like I messed up a little on a question, but I may have been being too hard on myself. I do think that if you relax and be yourself, then what they liked about you on the resume will shine through. I like what some people said and I tried to remember that in my interview: "They already want you, the interview is designed to see if you will talk yourself out of the sale..." Remember to ask for contact info in order to send a unique and sincere thank you to each interviewer. I had to wait a couple days until they knew if it was okay to give it to me, so don't be discouraged if you get that response.

Negotiation Details – You make a request to counter the offer and then HR will open the counter-offer tab on your offer under your account. Was able to negotiate and I was happy with the counter, but don't be surprised if they don't come up at all and they likely won't come up to what you ask for.

Systems Engineering Interview

Systems Engineering
Huntsville, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boeing in May 2011.

Interview Details – Situational inteview in which a panel listened and asked question. Everyone interviewing were asked the same question. The interview lasted approximately 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe as situation in which you were given an difficult task and how did you handle the conflict that occurred.   Answer Question
  • When difficulties arise between team members, how were the conflict resolved?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Boeing.

Interview Details – The interview is very structured with a standard 5-7 questions. The hiring manage, most likely your future manager with be there. Make him/her laugh. They want someone who is capable but more someone who would fit well with the existing group.

Interview Question – This depends on the manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was newly hired, I didn't negotiate. I was content with the offer they made, a year in and I still am.

Systems Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boeing in September 2011.

Interview Details – I gave my resume and talked to the recruiter at my university's job fair. Tips: Make sure you brush up on the questions ahead of time. There are a lot questions that I just got bombarded with left and right. Overall, it was a good experience.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Boeing?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boeing in March 2009.

Interview Details – Just be prepared to get drilled.....But if you look at the key words in the job announcements, you'll have an idea of what type of behavioral questions they will ask you.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to settle a disagreement amongst your group and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you served on a design review board.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boeing

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!

Boeing Videos

Boeing – Why Work for Us?

Boeing is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. Additionally, Boeing designs and manufactures rotorcraft, electronic and defense… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boeing Systems Engineer interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boeing employees and interview candidates.