Bon-Ton Stores

Updated Oct 28, 2014
Updated Oct 28, 2014

2.4

Merchant Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Exactly what I expected! Talked about my experience on my resume and they asked a lot of questions regarding teams and group work. Be sure to ask them several questions at the end of the interview. Also make sure to follow up with an e-mail or hand written letter, it keeps you in their memory and leaves a lasting impression.

Interview Questions
    • Give a time you failed and were persistent about something.   Answer Question

Buying/Planning Interview

2 back to back interviews, and an on-site visit after an offer is extended, and then about to weeks to decide if you are going to accept. HR and Recruiting is very nice and flexible

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

There was only one interview and it was fairly simple. They told me I had the job by the end of the day. I simply showed pieces from my portfolio and explained my experience.

There wasn't one

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online and then was called for an interview, I went in for an interview, was interviewed by assistant manager then store manager. Also had a phone interview with the brand of cosmetics district manager. Just be positive about your abilities, dress nicely, and be sure your makeup looks good

Interview Questions
    • Am I willing to make many customer calls to try to sell products.   Answer Question
    I asked for 12.00 She said couldn't go higher than 10.00 but that commission at 3% would take my take home pay to an average of 11.50

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Pretty straightforward interview with basic questions. The process only took a couple of weeks, and met the manager for only one interview before I was offered the job. They sell the job as being able to make a lot of money. However, you really only make decent money during certain times of the year and special sales events. Otherwise you really have to be familiar with sales tactics or just be plain lucky to make a decent paycheck.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation where you have an upset customer?   Answer Question
    No negotiation straight 9%.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

I applied online and was called a week later. The interview was pretty standard for a sales associate job and the offer was made right after the interview. I was offered above minimum wage for the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores in September 2014.

I applied online in early September of 2014 and received a call within one week to first verify my availability. They wanted to know if I could work at least one Sunday per month and I said yes so was then asked to come in for an interview. I did a few days later and the only questions asked were again about my availability and they asked about a gap in work on my resume. No interview questions like "name three of your best characteristics." Nothing of that sort.

They then proceeded to tell me how it's a thankless customer service job and the pay is minimum wage and asked if I would still be interested. I said yes and told them I am a stay-at-home mom and my availability is limited to Mon- Thurs evenings and one weekend shift so I was still interested because of that. I also thought the 20% discount was a perk and the store was very close to my home. I did ask the dress code and they said business and I also reiterated that I only could work up to 20 hours per week and they said they don't schedule employees over that anyways.

I did ask if I could discuss with my family first since my husband works and I was also interviewing somewhere else.They were totally fine with that and assured me to call them if I had any questions. I did end up calling to ask about the holiday hours because I was curious how late I may have to stay. They said the store would stay open later and also said it would turn into a more full time job which contradicted the initial info from the interview. I said I could pick up an extra shift or two and told them I'd call them back.

When I did call back, I told them I would like the position, but I couldn't work full time during the holidays. They were extremely short with me and said " I'll let you know if we still have position for you. "

It was completely unprofessional from the start. They contradicted their initial interview and failed to ask me at the interview if my availability would be more open during holidays. I wasn't applying for seasonal or temporary help so I think if they have policies about holiday hours, they should ask that immediately. Instead, I had to call them to ask. If I would have taken the position without asking, would they have been angry when holidays came and they tried to schedule me more days?

Clearly, the interview process was a mess and completely unprofessional. I never even received a call to say that they didn't need me. They should have followed up either way. I understand the position is only minimum wage , but employees will only take a company as serious as they take themselves.

Sales Associate Interview

Sorting employer and employee interests and background. Covering employer expectations and procedures along with a tour and introduction to employees not occupied with customers. Very welcoming process.
    My concerns and/or questions were covered as well as availability to the training and working schedule. Dates and times were set , hands were shaken and smiles exchanged.

Visual Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

I was already employed with the company as a sales associate so the interview was pretty laid back. I first interviewed with our store manager and then went on to interview with the regional visual manager. She just asked basic questions about why I think I'd be a good fit, experience and education.

Assistant Planner Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Two rounds of on-campus interviews. Pretty casual ... about 45 minutes with each. I interviewed with one Buyer and one HR rep. Didn't really know a whole lot about the company, and that seemed to be okay. They do appear to be looking for people that are excited to be interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where you dealt with an upset customer.   Answer Question
    At least for an entry-level, straight from college position - they aren't open to negotiating. Take it or leave it!