Bon-Ton Stores Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.4

Visual Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

I was already employed with the company as a sales associate so the interview was pretty laid back. I first interviewed with our store manager and then went on to interview with the regional visual manager. She just asked basic questions about why I think I'd be a good fit, experience and education.

Assistant Planner Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Two rounds of on-campus interviews. Pretty casual ... about 45 minutes with each. I interviewed with one Buyer and one HR rep. Didn't really know a whole lot about the company, and that seemed to be okay. They do appear to be looking for people that are excited to be interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where you dealt with an upset customer.   Answer Question
    At least for an entry-level, straight from college position - they aren't open to negotiating. Take it or leave it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores in May 2014.

Applied online, and received an email to come in for an interview.

Questions:
    Tell me about yourself.
    Why do you want to work for us?
    Tell me about a time you had to work as a team.
    What do you think you will be doing as a sales associate?
    What department would you like to work in?

Interview Questions
    • What do you think you will be doing as a sales associate?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

First interview consisted of personality test questions. Second interview consisted of questions about me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself.
      Why do you want to work here?
      How would you handle multiple customers in line?
      What makes a friendly employee?

Answer Question

Distribution Center Positions - All Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores in April 2014.

The interview process is very long and somewhat confusing. The website used to process applications has many shortcomings, which can complicate the hiring process. There is a very long sections of the application where there are up to 12 pages of questions that need to be answered prior to the application being forwarded to the facility you are applying to. Once your application is received, there are between 1-2 interviews, usually on separate days. If you are selected for a position, you are emailed an offer (so you better have an email address you check often). Once that hurdle is crossed, there is a 2-4 week waiting time while background checks are processing. Orientations are usually scheduled for new hires on Tuesdays and Fridays, and work generally starts the next week.

Interview Questions
    • What skill would you like to improve upon?   View Answer

Pay was too low.

Beauty Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Very easy interviewing process. Standard questions.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you know at least a little bit about some of the products you will be selling. I was asked what my favorite Clinique products were and why.   Answer Question

Assistant Planner Interview

Two 30 min in person interviews with upper management.

Visual Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Seneca, NY
    Anonymous Employee in West Seneca, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores in March 2014.

Very through interview with HR & Store Mgr.,up front, professional, personable,quick decision makers.Didn't get job but loved the process & the store.

Interview Questions
    • What can you offer me that no other canidates can?   View Answer

Clinique Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

This was my first interview in over 10 years--certainly I was out of practice, and out of date, but I sure found it grueling. Despite having done my homework here on Glassdoor and on other sites before the interview, I felt I did not connect with my interviewer, who by the way was my same gender and age. I felt the interviewer was condescending and not the least encouraging. I have not heard back, but it has only been 3 business days. I am more than qualified for the position, so if I don't hear back I will assume my gut-level reaction to the interview--that I blew it--will be correct.

Interview Questions
    • As I said, I did my homework--which I highly recommend to any applicant--so none of the questions themselves were difficult or unexpected. Perhaps I was just overly sensitive and need, next time, to be prepared for the fact that not all interviewers are going to immediately like me or go out of their way to be reassuring. I had forgotten the cut-throat part. So my advice is be prepared and go in with tough skin! Good luck!   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

I wanted seasonal work. I applied to numerous places. I applied to Bon-Ton online, and minutes after submitting my resume online I received a phone call for an interview. I was incredibly surprised at the eagerness to hire.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were basic behavioral questions. It's important to know how to deal with angry/frustrated people.   View Answer
    • Why Bon-Ton?   Answer Question
    No negotiation was attempted. I accepted the wage offered.