Bon-Ton Stores Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

1.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lockport, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Lockport, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Set up interview online as well. Went to interview and got hired on the spot. A couple days later, I started training. It was a pretty easy interview and it was only with the hiring manager. Looked at your resume while talking to you in office. Worked in the mens and home department. Great people and love the customers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bon-Ton Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Sterling, IL).

Interview

I applied online and received a call from them within a week. The interview was pretty formal. They had several sheets of papers with questions they had to ask me. A lot of it was repetitive, basic questions. Overall it was relaxed though. They told me they had a few other people to interview for the position and that I would be notified by the end of the week if I got the job. I ended up getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• Situations where you specifically have had to help a customer, what did you do, what was the outcome. A lot of questions like that.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Interview

Pretty straightforward interview with basic questions. The process only took a couple of weeks, and met the manager for only one interview before I was offered the job. They sell the job as being able to make a lot of money. However, you really only make decent money during certain times of the year and special sales events. Otherwise you really have to be familiar with sales tactics or just be plain lucky to make a decent paycheck.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where you have an upset customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation straight 9%.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Interview

I applied online and was called a week later. The interview was pretty standard for a sales associate job and the offer was made right after the interview. I was offered above minimum wage for the position.

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Tonawanda, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online in early September of 2014 and received a call within one week to first verify my availability. They wanted to know if I could work at least one Sunday per month and I said yes so was then asked to come in for an interview. I did a few days later and the only questions asked were again about my availability and they asked about a gap in work on my resume. No interview questions like "name three of your best characteristics." Nothing of that sort. They then proceeded to tell me how it's a thankless customer service job and the pay is minimum wage and asked if I would still be interested. I said yes and told them I am a stay-at-home mom and my availability is limited to Mon- Thurs evenings and one weekend shift so I was still interested because of that. I also thought the 20% discount was a perk and the store was very close to my home. I did ask the dress code and they said business and I also reiterated that I only could work up to 20 hours per week and they said they don't schedule employees over that anyways. I did ask if I could discuss with my family first since my husband works and I was also interviewing somewhere else.They were totally fine with that and assured me to call them if I had any questions. I did end up calling to ask about the holiday hours because I was curious how late I may have to stay. They said the store would stay open later and also said it would turn into a more full time job which contradicted the initial info from the interview. I said I could pick up an extra shift or two and told them I'd call them back. When I did call back, I told them I would like the position, but I couldn't work full time during the holidays. They were extremely short with me and said " I'll let you know if we still have position for you. " It was completely unprofessional from the start. They contradicted their initial interview and failed to ask me at the interview if my availability would be more open during holidays. I wasn't applying for seasonal or temporary help so I think if they have policies about holiday hours, they should ask that immediately. Instead, I had to call them to ask. If I would have taken the position without asking, would they have been angry when holidays came and they tried to schedule me more days? Clearly, the interview process was a mess and completely unprofessional. I never even received a call to say that they didn't need me. They should have followed up either way. I understand the position is only minimum wage , but employees will only take a company as serious as they take themselves.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Sorting employer and employee interests and background. Covering employer expectations and procedures along with a tour and introduction to employees not occupied with customers. Very welcoming process. My concerns and/or questions were covered as well as availability to the training and working schedule. Dates and times were set , hands were shaken and smiles exchanged.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Roseville, MN) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online, and received an email to come in for an interview. Questions: Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work for us? Tell me about a time you had to work as a team. What do you think you will be doing as a sales associate? What department would you like to work in?

Interview Questions

• What do you think you will be doing as a sales associate?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Interview

First interview consisted of personality test questions. Second interview consisted of questions about me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here? How would you handle multiple customers in line? What makes a friendly employee?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Interview

I wanted seasonal work. I applied to numerous places. I applied to Bon-Ton online, and minutes after submitting my resume online I received a phone call for an interview. I was incredibly surprised at the eagerness to hire.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were basic behavioral questions. It's important to know how to deal with angry/frustrated people.   1 Answer
    • Why Bon-Ton?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation was attempted. I accepted the wage offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Milwaukee, WI) in November 2013.

Interview

The two managers interviewed me were great.

Interview Questions

• I did not feel the questions were difficult. I felt very comfortable throughout the process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They just offered $8.00 and I Accepted.