Bonneville Power Interview Questions

2.8

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bonneville Power.

Interview

Hiring process is more or less straightforward. However, one key point is that it takes time to conduct the background check and general security clearance.

Straight forward interview. Questions about how your resume/experience fits the position. Likely you can expect to address a scenario: describe your analysis approach and your proposed deliverables.
    Expect additional questions regarding how you would manage stakeholders, address change management and scope creep.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an uncooperative stakeholder   1 Answer

Negotiation

Position was via a contracting agency. No 'negotiation'

Student Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bonneville Power.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of 3. One was the student program coordinator, one was a former student program member and the third was the manager of a group that takes lots of students. After asking about me and my resume they asked 3 questions about times where I worked in a group, was a leader, etc.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult or unexpected. Government agencies do not ask technical questions for their student interns.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation is

Intern Interview

Interview

Relaxed, interviewed by a senior engineer and not by administrators/management

Interview Questions

Interview

I just wanted to point something out that I've noticed. Many of my classmates in graduate school work at BPA, but the only white males who work there are veterans. Everyone else is a minority, a woman, or both. This is clearly reverse discrimination. They hire people because of what they are, not what they know.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever served in the military? What color is your skin? Are you male or female?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in March 2012.

Interview

The first interview was a conference call with 3 Engineers interviewing me. Very hard to do. Only HR questions asked (very difficult ones). I was given a second interview, where they flew someone over to personally interview me. This interview was much better, I thought for sure I was going to get the position. However I got an automated email a few weeks later saying I didn't make the cut. Never found out why I didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been in a position where you had to make a choice between something ethical and unethical? What choice did you make (and why) and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in December 2010.

Interview

Was contacted via email, arrived at interview w/5 others. It was similar to speed dating, we rotated for short, 5-10 minute interviews with all the stakeholders/managers that we would potentially be working with. Everyone was friendly. The time with each person was a little short. I also felt like some of the people weren't especially great at interviewing people, but were just there because someone asked them to, but I totally could be wrong (just a gut feeling). There was one individual who really seemed to have no purpose except diversity- they asked really touchy-feely questions that didn't seem too relevant, but you never know in interviews!

Interview Questions

• Guy holds up a paper bag- whats in the bag?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer

Software Developer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in November 2010.

Interview

I was submitted for several positions at BPA by a recruiter from ProDX. There was only a single phone interview for this position and it took quite a while to get it set up. It was mildly disconcerting that they chose to offer me a job after that small amount of interaction. This made me wonder if there may be people on the team who are not great team players because many people can be cordial for an hour on the phone. The interview was mainly technical and the questions were fairly standard.

I received an offer the same day as the interview. After careful consideration, I turned it down.

Interview Questions

I had a competing offer from a company that was much more aggressive in recruiting me.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in October 2010.

Interview

Phone screen consisted of skills-based inquiry. In-person interview occurred within a week. This consisted of skills-based and behavioral questions, previous work examples. Hiring manager and work leader were different people. Offer came within a week.

Interviewers were nice people. However, the work leader redirected the interview focus from my strengths to his weaknesses. I had no idea a person could be that weak in their core competency and still hold a job. Civil servant attitudes ranged from embracing change to total apathy. Many employees are 3rd party contractors, and their professional opinions and rational thinking are often trumped by the aforementioned apathy or egos.

Any job tools required beyond computer, pencil, and paper requires several layers of approval, regardless of importance or urgency. Although contract workers make up a majority of the workforce, they are not allowed to attend any federally funded training related to group effectiveness, team work, etc. They are expected to be fully-trained experts at everything.

Advice: Ask how decisions are made, and examples of recent decisions. Ask how many times the same problem has been attacked, and how previous solutions are different from or similar to current projects. Ask for examples of previously solved problems that reoccurred. Also, ask what the organizations biggest concerns are and how they are solving them.

If you want to collect a paycheck and "go with the flow", this is the place for you. Just watch your back and document everything. People disappear for no apparent reason, followed by lame explanations (manager ejected after a year on the job due to "skills mismatch" with no prior discussion or notice).

Interview Questions

• Explain how you have convinced a reluctant stakeholder to accept a proposed change that everyone has approved.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time a major project deliverable was going to be late. How did you respond? How quickly did you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Job grade was not negotiable. Salary was in a range, but benefits were preset.

Help Desk Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in May 2010.

Interview

Found job posted with Contracting agency. Submitted resume for first screen to them. The contracting agency then screens their applicants and sends 1-3 candidates to Bonneville's Contracting Officer for screen. The CO may get submissions from 3-4 different agencies, then selects 3-4 for the Hiring Manager to interview. The hiring manager does a phone screen first, then if the candidate passes the phone screen, is invited (through the contracting agency) for a 1:1 interview. Due to security requirements, the candidate is escorted 100% of the time while on the property. If selected, the candidate has to fill out a Security Background Investigation form that gives the agency the information needed to perform a full National Agency Check Investigation (NACI). While that process is on-going, A clean Local Agency check allows the accepted contractor to get a temporary badge that allows limited access to the building(s) that they require. If the accepted contractor cannot pass the Local or National Agency check, they are released due to non-qualification. If you have anything on your record that may be of concern, put it down on the form! Just because you have something on your record does not mean that you will not be hired, but concealing it will cause an immediate termination when it is found.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you handled a difficult customer/situation in the past.   1 Answer
    • How would you diagnose a customer's inability to print on their network printer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, other than possibly advising them of previously scheduled vacations and asking for the time off (was not a problem). As a Federal Agency, they have standard pay levels and contractor rates under the "prevailing wage" system.

Business Analyst User Experience Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in December 2009.

Interview

They required a skills assessment where they asked me to answer a number of technical questions to test my knowledge of the industry and methodology.

Interview Questions

My current contract was renewed.