Bonobos

Updated Sep 24, 2014
Updated Sep 24, 2014

2.7

Merchandising Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bonobos.

The total process took about two months.

I applied through the company's website under their "Career" tab. This involves a cover letter, resume, and answering a few of their quirky questions that give a little insight into the company.

After this, I was emailed asking to set up a Skype interview. This was with the two people who I would be directly working for. It was a fairly easy interview where there weren't many surprises; they asked about what some of my favorite blogs or companies were and asked a lot about a fashion blog I created.

About two weeks later they emailed back to set up a phone interview with two of their co-workers. For this interview it was most of the same questions. They asked about my prior work experiences and my fashion blog mostly.

After this, it took at least three weeks until I get an email sending me an offer.

Overall, they were very nice through the process, but I did get a little anxious at times with all the downtime without any communication or updates on the process.

Office Ninja Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bonobos in September 2014.

Applied online after finding the position listed on Made in New York website. I was contacted via email a week later. Had a nice "get to know you" phone interview on a Thursday and by that night, I was asked if I would be able to come in either the next day or early next week. I decided on going the next day. It was a very casual late afternoon one on one with the same woman I spoke on the phone with the day before. We talked a little about some topics from the phone interview from the day before, she also discussed the position a little more and what they were looking for, and asked some general "what can you bring to the table, what do you do for fun, etc..." I felt like it went well, but it was a quick meeting about 20 min tops. They were kind and professional. She asked if I had any questions and answered them honestly. I sent a follow up email the following week, and received a response the following day stating they were not proceeding with my candidacy. I believe they were looking for someone with a little more experience in the city than what I had. Overall it was a nice experience. I enjoyed both conversations with her and the team I met while waiting were kind.

Interview Questions
    • There were questions about unhappy customers and how would you approach the situation.   Answer Question

Junior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Bonobos in June 2014.

First interview was normal, then I was called in for a second interview to meet with other designers. Both interviews they talked a lot and didn't ask many questions.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bonobos.

Process was fairly quick... a basic phoner with HR, and then an in-person with the hiring manager. I was told the timeline for the process, and to follow-up.

When I followed-up, hiring manager stalled and said the process was being held up for another week or two. When I followed up again, I received no response. When I followed up AGAIN with both the hiring manager and HR, still no response.

For a company that prides itself on customer service, and since I had made clear I was a customer, this behavior is totally unacceptable. So I stopped shopping with them. If they can't be bothered to respond with human decency, I shall not be bothered with forking voer my money on their overpriced (these days) clothing.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions galore, i.e. What other online brands do you think do a good job with marketing?   Answer Question

IT Operations Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Bonobos in November 2013.

Scheduled phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • I have applied online and received a response in couple days. The HR employee scheduled a phone interview with me and never called me. He never responded to my emails since then. I am not sure what it was and really can't comprehend this situation. However, I did answer the question "Do I want work there?" for myself.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Ninja Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bonobos in August 2013.

After applying online I received a phone call interview which was very informal - more like a chat with someone at a pub to kill time. After that there were a few more interviews at their offices in the Flatiron district. These were all informal meetings to get to know the staff better and for them to better see how fitting the candidate was. There was also an hour long ninja test to see how well the candidate performs at the job being applied for. It was very in line with what was expected.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bonobos in May 2013.

I had a great interview process at Bonobos. While I will say I met with 10 people, each interview was only a half hour long and it was more of a general "get to know you" conversation than your typical interview. I can really respect this because it truly shows how invested they are in the people they hire. I immediately felt comfortable the minute I stepped off the elevator and each interviewer was very down-to-earth and easy to talk to. I will say there were a lot of repeat questions but as far as content, I never felt like I was asked something that I couldn't answer. Everyone made me feel super comfortable and overall it was a great interview experience.

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bonobos in December 2012.

Met with the Creative director first, then came back for a meeting with Art Director, then someone in business marketing. We discussed my previous work a lot, and spoke about elevating the brand via web. It was less product/e-commerce focused and more about brand design. They were looking for someone to come in that could add new life to the web-facing brand.

Interview Questions
    • "If you could elevate our brand on web, how would you do it?" I wasn't expecting a web position to be so 'branding' focused.   Answer Question

Senior Associate - Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bonobos.

My first Bonobos interview consisted of a 30 minute phone call with the hiring manager. I remember being instantly excited and charmed during that initial half hour. The conversation was informative and professional, while still having a relaxed quality to it that made me feel incredibly comfortable - even when not speaking face to face.

After that I went to visit the Bonobos office 4 more times over the course of the next month. My first in person interview was a 1on1 with the hiring manager that I had spoken with over the phone. I then proceeded to meet with 6 more employees (a few coffee trips, a group lunch, some in office.) I had never experienced an application process quite like this. I admit that it was incredibly extensive, but when looking back, I truly believe that it was 100% necessary to meet with as many people as I did, over the time that it took. Above all else, this exemplified the quality and pride that Bonobos puts into it's company and employees. I knew that it was as important to them for me to be excited about working there, as it was important for them to WANT me to work there.

It was the first time that I had interviewed for a job where I did not feel as if I was being interrogated or tested. Rather, each person that I spoke with asked me thoughtful questions that helped me to open up and feel more comfortable in discussing my past experience, what I was looking for further down the line, and what I needed in order to find fulfillment in the present. I could tell throughout the process how important it was to each employee to know that I wanted to be there. All of these contributing factors kept me motivated to keep going through to the next steps, even if was time consuming (was still working my other job - which Bonobos was 100% understanding of) and at times stressful (only because I wanted the job!)

I knew that I wanted to leave my current job when I started looking. But it only took one in-person meeting at Bonobos to convince me that this was the place that I wanted to be.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult aspect that I had to adjust to was the relaxed and candid nature of the interviews. Everyone was incredibly professional, intelligent, and sharp, but there was a certain level of honesty that came unexpectedly. It was hard at first for me to loosen up and really be able to talk about myself so openly. I realized that this was key in terms of building trust.   Answer Question

Bonobos Guide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bonobos in July 2012.

I submitted my application through the Bonobos job site a couple of weeks ago. One of the managers from the Guideshop reached out to me to set up an initial phone call for the following day. The phone call went well--I was asked pretty standard questions about myself, my current employment status, and if I was willing to work weekends. I learned a little bit more about the position and the call was concluded with the manager saying that someone from the recruitment team would reach out to schedule some in-person meetings at the office. Literally two hours later, I received an email from the recruitment team, inviting me to come back the following Monday. The next day I received a detailed agenda with the name of position of everyone I would be meeting with, the time I would be meeting with them, and a summary about their position at the company. I was impressed with the organization and how quickly everything was put together.

When I arrived at Bonobos for my afternoon of interviews, I was greeted right away and offered water. Since I was there early, it took about 10 minutes for my first interviewer to come get me, but in the meantime, everyone who walked by me said hello and was extremely friendly. Throughout the afternoon, my interviews went smoothly and the day went quickly. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at the office and how nice everyone was.

After my interviews, I received a follow-up call from someone from the recruitment team. I didn't end up joining the Bonobos team, but I was impressed with my overall interview experience and would highly recommend that anyone looking for an opportunity at a start-up apply.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you expect to see yourself in five years? The question came during my round of interviews with everyone the day I went to the Bonobos office,   Answer Question
    • What would you say your weaknesses are?   Answer Question