Bonobos

Very Easy Interview

Customer Experience Ninja Interview

Customer Experience Ninja
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bonobos in January 2012.

Interview Details – This has got to be the best interview process out there. I've never been more welcomed and genuinely measured for company fit before! The breakdown:

• Sent in a resume and answered some accurate job-related questions off the website
• Was given a description of who was going to interview me before I arrived
• Was interviewed by the Director, 3 potential direct supervisors, and a lead from another department over the course of 2 days
• Also came to the office for mock customer service testing (phones, email)

All-in-all, the message was "We have something special going on here that we truly care about. Do you fit in?" It was very transparent and friendly, and coaxed me from the normal professional shell to give and get more in-depth interviews.

Interview Question – If you were a cooking utensil, which would you be?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was non-negotiable.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bonobos.

Interview Details – Process was fairly quick... a basic phoner with HR, and then an in-person with the hiring manager. I was told the timeline for the process, and to follow-up.

When I followed-up, hiring manager stalled and said the process was being held up for another week or two. When I followed up again, I received no response. When I followed up AGAIN with both the hiring manager and HR, still no response.

For a company that prides itself on customer service, and since I had made clear I was a customer, this behavior is totally unacceptable. So I stopped shopping with them. If they can't be bothered to respond with human decency, I shall not be bothered with forking voer my money on their overpriced (these days) clothing.

Interview Question – Basic questions galore, i.e. What other online brands do you think do a good job with marketing?   Answer Question

IT Operations Engineer Interview

IT Operations Engineer

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Bonobos in November 2013.

Interview Details – Scheduled phone interview.

Interview Question – I have applied online and received a response in couple days. The HR employee scheduled a phone interview with me and never called me. He never responded to my emails since then. I am not sure what it was and really can't comprehend this situation. However, I did answer the question "Do I want work there?" for myself.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Ninja Interview

Customer Experience Ninja
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bonobos in August 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online I received a phone call interview which was very informal - more like a chat with someone at a pub to kill time. After that there were a few more interviews at their offices in the Flatiron district. These were all informal meetings to get to know the staff better and for them to better see how fitting the candidate was. There was also an hour long ninja test to see how well the candidate performs at the job being applied for. It was very in line with what was expected.

Interview Question – What is your history with writing?   Answer Question

N/A Interview

N/A
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bonobos in May 2013.

Interview Details – I had a great interview process at Bonobos. While I will say I met with 10 people, each interview was only a half hour long and it was more of a general "get to know you" conversation than your typical interview. I can really respect this because it truly shows how invested they are in the people they hire. I immediately felt comfortable the minute I stepped off the elevator and each interviewer was very down-to-earth and easy to talk to. I will say there were a lot of repeat questions but as far as content, I never felt like I was asked something that I couldn't answer. Everyone made me feel super comfortable and overall it was a great interview experience.

Bonobos Guide Interview

Bonobos Guide
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bonobos in July 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my application through the Bonobos job site a couple of weeks ago. One of the managers from the Guideshop reached out to me to set up an initial phone call for the following day. The phone call went well--I was asked pretty standard questions about myself, my current employment status, and if I was willing to work weekends. I learned a little bit more about the position and the call was concluded with the manager saying that someone from the recruitment team would reach out to schedule some in-person meetings at the office. Literally two hours later, I received an email from the recruitment team, inviting me to come back the following Monday. The next day I received a detailed agenda with the name of position of everyone I would be meeting with, the time I would be meeting with them, and a summary about their position at the company. I was impressed with the organization and how quickly everything was put together.

When I arrived at Bonobos for my afternoon of interviews, I was greeted right away and offered water. Since I was there early, it took about 10 minutes for my first interviewer to come get me, but in the meantime, everyone who walked by me said hello and was extremely friendly. Throughout the afternoon, my interviews went smoothly and the day went quickly. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at the office and how nice everyone was.

After my interviews, I received a follow-up call from someone from the recruitment team. I didn't end up joining the Bonobos team, but I was impressed with my overall interview experience and would highly recommend that anyone looking for an opportunity at a start-up apply.

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to see yourself in five years? The question came during my round of interviews with everyone the day I went to the Bonobos office,   Answer Question
  • What would you say your weaknesses are?   Answer Question

Senior Associate - Administrative Interview

Senior Associate - Administrative
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bonobos.

Interview Details – My first Bonobos interview consisted of a 30 minute phone call with the hiring manager. I remember being instantly excited and charmed during that initial half hour. The conversation was informative and professional, while still having a relaxed quality to it that made me feel incredibly comfortable - even when not speaking face to face.

After that I went to visit the Bonobos office 4 more times over the course of the next month. My first in person interview was a 1on1 with the hiring manager that I had spoken with over the phone. I then proceeded to meet with 6 more employees (a few coffee trips, a group lunch, some in office.) I had never experienced an application process quite like this. I admit that it was incredibly extensive, but when looking back, I truly believe that it was 100% necessary to meet with as many people as I did, over the time that it took. Above all else, this exemplified the quality and pride that Bonobos puts into it's company and employees. I knew that it was as important to them for me to be excited about working there, as it was important for them to WANT me to work there.

It was the first time that I had interviewed for a job where I did not feel as if I was being interrogated or tested. Rather, each person that I spoke with asked me thoughtful questions that helped me to open up and feel more comfortable in discussing my past experience, what I was looking for further down the line, and what I needed in order to find fulfillment in the present. I could tell throughout the process how important it was to each employee to know that I wanted to be there. All of these contributing factors kept me motivated to keep going through to the next steps, even if was time consuming (was still working my other job - which Bonobos was 100% understanding of) and at times stressful (only because I wanted the job!)

I knew that I wanted to leave my current job when I started looking. But it only took one in-person meeting at Bonobos to convince me that this was the place that I wanted to be.

Interview Question – The most difficult aspect that I had to adjust to was the relaxed and candid nature of the interviews. Everyone was incredibly professional, intelligent, and sharp, but there was a certain level of honesty that came unexpectedly. It was hard at first for me to loosen up and really be able to talk about myself so openly. I realized that this was key in terms of building trust.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Bonobos in May 2012.

Interview Details – The whole team was very accommodating with my schedule because I was still working full-time. My first meeting was with the hiring manager and another team member for an hour in the morning. I was invited to come back to meet the broader team the following week. Before my second interview, I was provided an agenda/schedule along with the bios of everyone I would meet. I found this to be very helpful and it made the whole experience more personal. All of my meetings were 1:1, but Bonobos does have variations (phone, Skype, etc).

Everyone was punctual and enthusiastic. The conversations I had were all very insightful to the organization and its vision, and the strong culture the company embraces was evident.

My advice would be to do your research and come in showing genuine interest in the company.

Interview Question – What is it about Bonobos that makes you want to work here?   Answer Question

Office Ninja Interview

Office Ninja
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bonobos in May 2012.

Interview Details – My interview process began a few days after I applied for the Office Ninja position online. I initially interviewed via Skype with the person in the position at the time for about half an hour. About a week later I went to Bonobos' offices for an interview with the same woman, along with her supervisor (separately). At this point all questions were very standard; they explained the details of the position I was applying for and asked me specific questions about my experience and qualifications. A little over a week later, I was asked to come in again, this time to meet with 6 different people with wide ranging levels of responsibility. This process took a little over 4 hours, and everyone I met with stressed the importance of "culture" at Bonobos, as well as "transparency." That is to say, it was very important that Bonobos find people with a positive, highly motivated attitude that would fit in with the company, and they wanted to be as open and "transparent" as possible about the work environment to ensure they only hired people completely committed to Bonobos. Despite claiming such a high level of "transparency," no one ever gave me an indication of how much longer the interview process might be, when a decision might be made about me, or if I was even a serious candidate. I was repeatedly told "we'll be in touch." After this extensive 3rd interview, I was asked to return to the office so that the Office Manager could "take me out to lunch." Of course I thought this was very promising, and from my point of view I thought they would only take me out to lunch with company money if I was going to receive an offer, or if they were very seriously thinking about making me an offer. So I returned to their office for a 3rd time for lunch, during which I was not given an offer. Rather, I was asked for the first time what my salary requirements were, and then asked to come shadow the person presently in the position I was applying for for a full day of work (8:45am - 5:30pm). I thought ok, it can't hurt to get exposure to what the job would be like; however I was a bit concerned that after speaking with no less than 8 people at the company about my qualifications, they were still unable to determine if I was right for the position. So i went in for my shadow day, which was a generally positive experience. I got a very hands on look at the responsibilities of the position, and even did some basic office work in that time. At the end of the day, I was once again told they would definitely be in touch. I left feeling confident that the next step might be a job offer. It seemed ludicrous for the company to invest so much time with me, and even bring me in for the shadow day to begin learning the responsibilities of the job. One week after this shadow day, I was sent a curt email saying "Thanks for all the time you spent coming into our office, but we have decided to go in a different direction with this position." Needless to say, I was rather upset. Not so much that I wasn't offered the position, but that I spent so much time interviewing and learning about the company and the job only to be denied an offer with no explanation as to why (i.e. being under qualified, over qualified, demanding salary requirements, unsuitable personality, etc.) I was furious that after I was told about the high level of "transparency" in the interview process, I was left completely in the dark as to how seriously I was being considered. Overall, the extensive interview process and final correspondence regarding my application was unprofessional, and has left me with an extremely negative impression of the company.

Interview Question – Can you handle being interrupted by phone calls, office visitors, and employees extremely often?   Answer Question

Customer Service Ninja Interview

Customer Service Ninja

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bonobos.

Interview Details – Completed website form and then had a phone interview in july. I thought it went really well and then I didn't hear anything. i followed up asking about a face to face interview and I didn't receive a response.

Even if the answer is, "we're going another direction," it would be nice to get some feedback.

Interview Question – I thought the phone interview was relatively basic.   Answer Question

Worked for Bonobos? Contribute to the Community!