Booking.com

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.8

Perl Developer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Booking.com in July 2014.

Applied on Booking.com. Heard back from the HR within couple days. The interview with the HR was really nice and arranged a technical interview that's couple weeks after because they were busy at that time. I have to reschedule the interview because of an emergency but the HR forgot to reschedule and I never heard back from them.

Customer Service Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Booking.com.

I've applied online but did not get any response. After a month HR staff called me asking if I'm still interested in this position and when I confirmed I've been invited for group assesment and 1:1 interview which took place the same day.

During the group assessment there was a typical presentation of company profile and work conditions from the HR side and short, basic presentation of candidates (name, nationality etc.). Then language test in EN and native language which required basically to write an answer for the client complaint. Then everyone had 1:1 meeting with CS and HR representants. Questions in general were very basic- what can you offer to booking,com? What is the most important in CS job? How would you manage with difficult situation? I've been also asked to act the phone conversation with complaining customer.

Salary is not negotiable and was given in the advert. My first bad impresion was when someone asked for the possibilities of grow inside of the company and the HR's answer was that they are looking for someone who will be dedicated to customer service role (!?). Sorry to say this but 1st line CS job is not a dreamed one for most of the people and if company offers very basic salary (lower than most european salaries in CS) and do not offers any posibilities to be promoted, it does not make a good impression in my opinion. HR and CS staff were quite friendly although had strange feeling that they had a little bit aggressive attitude so I'm not sure if this is the type of people I would like to work with. Information from HR about rejection my candidature came after few days which is a plus for the company.

Supervisor Interview

I was contacted to advise my sched to set up an interview. I contacted them repeatedly as they requested. They never returned my calls or emails. Frustrating as they contacted me.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Booking.com in July 2014.

First phone call was with an HR who asks you about your experience and then she would test your analytical thinking with a mini case. Mine was about comparing the pros and cons of different agent models in the tourist industry. At the beginning of the case she tells you the standard "there is no right answer to the case", but then she wouldn't be satisfied with your answer unless you tell her exactly what she wants to hear (i.e. what she was told was one of the potential answers). Eventually I did, so we scheduled a second phone call.
    The second interview was with two members of the data science team. This part was much more pleasant - we talked in details about some of the machine learning model that I've worked on and then did a case. It was about whether observing a certain KPI would make sense in a given situation. At the end of the interview, they told me that they want to invite me for a on-site interview and that someone from HR would contact me to take care of organizing it.
    A day after that a HR did contact me, but she said that they do not want to continue further with the selection process and gave some vague reasons about communication. I asked if she could elaborate, but she never responded.

Overall, the interview was alright, but I'm rating my experience as "negative" below for two reasons: first, you wouldn't expect from a good company to change their minds like that and second, if you invest your time into interviewing with them, they should at least to spend some time to give you a constructive feedback.

Software Developer Willing to Learn Perl Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Booking.com.

Had one round of HR interview and after 3 weeks a technical round was scheduled. I was interviewed by two team leads. They were very nice and the questions they asked were i would say medium in difficulty. Overall a wonderful experience. The experience of writing code on titanpad for 2 questions in less than 30 minutes was a wonderful experience.

Graduate Traineeship - E-Commerce Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Booking.com in July 2014.

I applied online and the process took about a week and a half. I was contacted by HR to set up a 30 minute phone interview. I did not pay attention to the time zone and accidentally scheduled the interview for 4:30am my time. The interviewer wasn't totally prepared either, as he was looking at an old resume of mine that I had used to apply for a similar position about a year prior. The interview went more smoothly after we got that straightened out. Despite being caught off-guard by the early-morning call I felt like the interview went pretty well and I was sent a technical assignment later that day. It was not really a technical assignment, but more like 8 (mostly unrelated) questions for you to answer. I thought I answered the questions really well, but got an email a few days later explaining that some of my answers lacked vision and that I would not be moving forward in the interview process. Overall, the experience was good and the interviewer was professional and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Something to the effect of: What is your experience managing projects or groups?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Booking.com in January 2012.

Easy and pretty much the same questions asked by any other employer in customer service. They will hire almost anyone temporarily and give you a three month trial prior to official hire.

Hired through a temp agency for a three month trial.

Front End Developer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Booking.com.

I applied online. A week or two later I was contacted via email by HR at Booking.com to set up a time to talk on the phone. This was a little tricky. The time difference between Amsterdam and America meant that my window was between 8-9am.

When I took HR's call, they asked about AB testing experience, general tech skills (i.e. what languages and years of experience etc.) They also questioned motivation to move to Amsterdam.

Afterwards we set up a time for a tech screen via Skype. During the tech interview they asked me to do come online coding. Nothing to tough, but there was not enough time to shine.

Asked about this keyword in JavaScript, inheritance, etc, etc.

Lots of AB testing and metrics questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name the seven different ownership rules of the this keyword in JavaScript.   View Answer

Senior Account Manager Interview

Pretty basic questions. Be friendly and have knowledge of booking.com and the industry.

Interview Questions
    Not much. They present the compensation and they won't really budge

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Booking.com.

There is an online application system on the Booking.com website. If your application is accepted, you will have a phone interview. Assuming this stage is successful, you will go to a Grand Rapids Manpower office for orientation. There is a typing test.

Assuming you pass this stage, there is an interview with an HR representative at the Booking.com office. Standard interview questions are to be expected, especially concerning your history with customer service and complaints.

Interview Questions
    • I did not experience any unexpected questions. You should be prepared to explain how you have/would handle upset customers.   Answer Question

Worked for Booking.com? Contribute to the Community!