Booking.com

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.8

Coordinator Hotels Interview Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Booking.com.

Applied online then was contacted via email to set up an interview a week later. Had a quick chat about my skills what the company was about. The recruiter said she would call me the next day for a follow up. Never got a phone call. A few days later I contacted her again via email. She said she would call me next week for a follow up. Never got a phone call. Very unprofessional. I just left it at that.

Product Owner Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Booking.com.

All interviews were carried out in English.

Interview process consisted of an initial phone interview with an internal IT recruiter who asked about your experience in general, what sort of projects you work on, and why you were interested in looking for a new position. It was faily non-technical and in the standard Dutch style was very upfront and matter-of-fact. She asked about what my thoughts were on the current booking.com system (which I hadnt looked at and when I did, I was looking at the ipad version and she was talking about the desktop version, so that was awkward) But the recruiter seemed to like it enough and recommended I have a second interview.

Second interview was another phone interview (I live on the other side of the world) with colleagues who hold the same position as the one I was applying for. I was loosely told by the recruiter that I should go through the booking.com booking process and come prepared with feedback and recommendations. I prepared my feedback and documentation. And when it came time to have my interview (the middle of the night for me) they never called. I got an email about 2 hours later stating that they had been stuck in a meeting. Not a problem. I've had this happen to me, too. We rescheduled for the following day. Second day comes and I have the interview. I basically talk for an hour giving my presentation on optimization of a sales funnel, writing personas, defining happy paths, using data to make data driven decisions on optimization. Interviewers say very little in general. My time ends, and they thank me for the talk and we hang up.

A few days later the recruiter calls me again and asks me how it went. I say that I don't really know as I did most of the talking and they did none at all. She says okay and checks their notes. They liked what I had to say and wanted to fly me to The Netherlands for a final interview.

We made arrangements and they were very accommodating. The entire process was very pleasant. I arrived a few days beforehand and explored the city a bit.

I arrived early for my interview and was quickly greeted and made to feel welcome. I was told I would have two interviews and then a final discussion with the HR recruiter.

I was put in a room and was in front of two other sets of peers talking about best practices when it comes to optimization of a sales funnel. We talk about how to get data, how to interpret data, and how to form hypotheses off data. I ask them about what they like about working here, what their day-to-day is like, and what sort of candidate is successful. They are cheery but serious in their answers.

Second interview was with another set of peers and we talk about my past projects and how I used data to make profitable decisions for my clients. We discussed business intelligence, SEO, innovative techniques on data mining, and how it could relate to travel booking. I ask them about their work life, why they came to work for this company, what they did before they worked here, and what they disliked the most about this job. They answered in the same cheery but serious manner

After that, the HR representative came in and told me they wanted to have another interview with either a senior member or the department head. They couldnt raise him via text, so while they went to find him, they took me on a tour of the facility. The HR representative was nice and it was a casual tour which was exactly what I expected it to be. When I returned the department head was there, and we talked. He had a number of scenarios that he wanted to go through involving how to make deductions based on real life scenarios. It was probably the most interesting interview I've ever had. I was not prepared to start practicing statistics on the spot, but I eventually got myself up to speed to successfully answer his questions. I asked him what sort of candidates were successful in this organization and what sort of people he liked to have on his team and what sort of people would wash out quickly.

After that, I had a conversation with the HR recruiter about relocation and logistical questions surrounding moving to a new country. We parted ways and she said she would be in touch.

A few days later we had a phone conversation and she let me know that my lack of experience in one area was why they were not offering me the position. (they were absolutely right about it, by the way) and that she wished me good luck. I would have also picked this area as my weakness based on those interviews, but don't think it would have been a problem to come up to speed on.

Either way, great interview process. Very pleased with the company in general.

Interview Questions
    • How much risk does a business take on a given guaranteed price based on the price of the guaranteed product with the non-guaranteed product? This was given with actual numbers and I needed ot figure out the answer.   Answer Question

Team Lead Customer Service Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Booking.com in January 2015.

I was contacted after 1 week to come in for an interview. They were very accomodating regarding time a date. I went in and spoke to two managers for 30 minutes and answered several questions about my previous supervisory experience, how I would handle situations that arose. I was given the opportunity to ask questions at the end of the interview. And was told I would hear something later that week or early the following week. It has been 3 weeks and I have emailed a thank you letter the same day, and a followup in week 2 to see if a decision has been made and no response.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle friendships in the workplace when your their boss   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Booking.com.

I had a 30 minute phone interview and then exchanged emails for further questions. The employee that I spoke with was very helpful and honest about the job, benefits, and salary. Questions were basic about past experience, familiarity with customer service and the foreign language required.

Salary was livable, but not very profitable.

Cs Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Booking.com.

Long details. Walk through shadow sit with people to hear them talk on the phone . Interview with 3 other people . explain and give examples of previous jobs. Listen to policy and take assessment

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer   View Answer

Perl Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Booking.com in November 2014.

Received unannounced call from recruiter; friendly short chat. I was able to email some questions about relocation assistance, which were answered (the recruiter sent the entire benefits handbook, which was very informative). Next step was a online joint coding session with two developers. This was scheduled.

It was nerve-racking attempting to answer coding questions over the phone. The developers were very friendly, even offering a few hints along the way when I was getting stuck.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Booking.com in November 2014.

I applied online. I was contacted by the recruiter a month later. The recruiter was very frazzled. It seems they will hire anyone. The one thing that I didn't like was the fact she didn't tell me upfront about the bad shift from 3-midnight, and that we couldn't pick our shift.

Software Developer Willing to Learn Perl Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Booking.com in October 2014.

I applied online, got the first call in less than one week and another week later I got the technical interview with two engineers. Everybody were nice, but the person from RH was extremely nice.
    They offered me to choose the language I want, I took C.

Interview Questions
    • I faced one question. Simple programing problem.
      The problem was, given two arrays, retrieve the minimal common element.

View Answer

Contact Center Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Booking.com in October 2014.

I applied online in the morning and got a call in the afternoon. The recruiter was nice and questioned my skill level and experience and then the doozy came, would I be interested in working on a temp basis, this would help them decide if I would fit or not. That was a strange request considering the job advertised as a full-time position. I agreed to an interview. I was not greeted by the recruiter and the person interviewing me was cold as ice - terrible interview, the interviewer did not know what a typical day for this position would be because she wasn't the manager for this position. I left that interview knowing I would not be sending a follow-up thank you to anyone in Booking.com.

Customer Service Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Booking.com.

I've applied online but did not get any response. After a month HR staff called me asking if I'm still interested in this position and when I confirmed I've been invited for group assesment and 1:1 interview which took place the same day.

During the group assessment there was a typical presentation of company profile and work conditions from the HR side and short, basic presentation of candidates (name, nationality etc.). Then language test in EN and native language which required basically to write an answer for the client complaint. Then everyone had 1:1 meeting with CS and HR representants. Questions in general were very basic- what can you offer to booking,com? What is the most important in CS job? How would you manage with difficult situation? I've been also asked to act the phone conversation with complaining customer.

Salary is not negotiable and was given in the advert. My first bad impresion was when someone asked for the possibilities of grow inside of the company and the HR's answer was that they are looking for someone who will be dedicated to customer service role (!?). Sorry to say this but 1st line CS job is not a dreamed one for most of the people and if company offers very basic salary (lower than most european salaries in CS) and do not offers any posibilities to be promoted, it does not make a good impression in my opinion. HR and CS staff were quite friendly although had strange feeling that they had a little bit aggressive attitude so I'm not sure if this is the type of people I would like to work with. Information from HR about rejection my candidature came after few days which is a plus for the company.