Books-A-Million

Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.2

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I applied online for the Bookseller position then received a call a week later asking if I'd like to set up an interview. The interview took place over at their Joe Muggs coffee shop and was pretty laid back. I was asked about my previous job experience and was told more about the position. It wasn't a long interview and I was told that it was a two step interview process, and that I would receive a call later that day or tomorrow to set up another interview. I never received a call back and I did not get the job.

Interview Questions
  • Are you comfortable with using computers/new technology.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Books-A-Million

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I applied online after seeing a posting about a Job Fair. I went to the open interview session, where I was interviewed by the General Manager first. She asked about my previous retail experience, how I got along with my current manager and peers, and what I liked to do in my spare time. She also asked me what my favorite book was and why; then, she told me to tell me why she should buy the book. She told me they would call me to schedule a second interview later, and they did. The next time, I interviewed with one of the co-managers. Looking back, his main focus was to see how much sales experience I had and also how I would handle a difficult situation (i.e., there's a line at the register, a random customer comes up asking about a book while the phones rings in the background.)

Interview Questions
    • What would I do if there's a line at the register, and a customer comes up asking about a book while the phones rings in the background?   View Answer
    Did not negotiate.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in August 2014.

I received a call for the interview about 3 days after I applied and on a Sunday afternoon. I was planning to call on Monday when I thought it was appropriate to call about setting up an interview, but they beat me to the punch! During the interview the assistant manager and I talked about likes and dislike of my previous employers, strengths and weaknesses, etc. We discovered we shared a common interest in History so we discussed that for a while. It was off topic, but it helped a lot because we realized we could be interact on a friendlier level.
    The assistant manager liked me apparently because she immediately called over the store manager to interview me on the spot instead of waiting for a second interview. The store manager was a little tough. She asked me many of the same questions, but wanted me to use different answers than I gave the previous manager. I was a little intimidated by her more professional process. Finally she asked the popular question "Why should I hire you?" Apparently I answered well enough because she sent in my background check and I started working the next week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your weaknesses and what you plans are for overcoming them.   View Answer

Bookseller Interview

I applied online, got a call and the interview was pretty basic, whats your availability, do you mind late shifts..nothing really specific. The one lady was really short and smelled like poppy seeds and a hint of lime and maybe lemon

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

I applied online, and the next time I was in the store, I mentioned it and got to talk to the manager. A few weeks later, after following up multiple times, I found out that my application never went through so I had to reapply. After confirming that it went through, it took a long time for my background check to be done. Eventually, it arrived, and I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable with selling the card and magazines?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2014.

I applied online on BAM's website, where I filled out a generic application and a small personality/skills questionnaire. In about two or so days, I was called. This was a rather simple interview; nothing special stood out. Ensure you are acquainted with the merchandise, and my employer was happy I knew the details of the discount card program and had held done previously. He met me at customer service, and took my to the office in the stock room where the interview lasted only around 10 minutes. I actually didn't think I was hired, since the manager seemed so nonchalant and didn't call me back for a while. Turns out I did!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation; it's retail.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

Applied online and was invited for an interview no more than 2 weeks later. General manager conducted the interview and the assistant general manager later sat in. Friendly and casual during interview. They want to make sure you're a "people person" and like to read. The job was explained in detail and to assess abilities you're asked to alphabetize a cart of books and make a sales pitch for the club card and magazine program.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult portion of the interview was the sales pitch. You're left to study what you're selling for 10 minutes or so. Since that's pretty much what the job is it shouldn't be unexpected. They go over what you miss or did good on.   Answer Question
    Most negotiations are over availability. They are often looking to hire for certain shifts and days so it's best to be flexible. Pay was not discussed but seems to be based on experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangor, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangor, ME

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Books-A-Million in January 2014.

Applied online. Got an interview 2 weeks later. I was early for the interview, he was late. He called me by a different name, and seemed uninterested. He was ill prepared for the interview. Overall, this was the most rude person who has ever interviewed me, and I feel I may have been discriminated against.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million.

The manager was the first person I met. After greetings, she began to ask me about the online test that you have to take pre-employment. The one that asks you dumb questions like: Have you ever taken office supplies home? As if we'll never get a job again if we've taken a pencil home... lol. Next, She said: It's all about Membership cards, auto-renewals, and Magazines. You're base salary will be around Min. Wage, but you have the opportunity to augment your paycheck by commissions from your Memberships, auto-renews, and Magazines. It sounded difficult, because I had never sold something that in my opinion, people didn't want already. Therefore, the title Bookseller, is a misnomer.

Interview Questions
    • Do you believe you will be able to sell Membership Cards, Auto-Renewals, and Magazines   View Answer
    No Negotiation on price. Typically, you will get between 7.25 and 7.50 depending on your personality.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kissimmee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kissimmee, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Books-A-Million in July 2013.

Called almost a month after my application, had a brief ten minute phone interview in which the manager seemed very excited to have me come in and do another interview.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected was how aggressively they want you to sell their membership cards. They asked me to give an example of how I would sell the card with no prior knowledge. Then I was shown how they sell the cards and their pitch made me feel very uncomfortable   Answer Question
    I was told I would be 30-40 hours a week and get commision up to $15 an hour after intense training (which I never recieved)