Books-A-Million

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview Details – I applied online, and the next time I was in the store, I mentioned it and got to talk to the manager. A few weeks later, after following up multiple times, I found out that my application never went through so I had to reapply. After confirming that it went through, it took a long time for my background check to be done. Eventually, it arrived, and I was hired.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable with selling the card and magazines?   Answer Question

Orange Park, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2013.

Interview Details – BAM called me within two days of applying online. I had group interview with another person and two managers. They asked me generic sales person questions, and also asked me to "sell" them a piece of merchandise (a pen) They called next day and hired me.

Interview Question – Selling the pen   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing, just hired on minimum wage

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview Details – Applied online and was invited for an interview no more than 2 weeks later. General manager conducted the interview and the assistant general manager later sat in. Friendly and casual during interview. They want to make sure you're a "people person" and like to read. The job was explained in detail and to assess abilities you're asked to alphabetize a cart of books and make a sales pitch for the club card and magazine program.

Interview Question – Most difficult portion of the interview was the sales pitch. You're left to study what you're selling for 10 minutes or so. Since that's pretty much what the job is it shouldn't be unexpected. They go over what you miss or did good on.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Most negotiations are over availability. They are often looking to hire for certain shifts and days so it's best to be flexible. Pay was not discussed but seems to be based on experience.

Bangor, ME

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Books-A-Million in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got an interview 2 weeks later. I was early for the interview, he was late. He called me by a different name, and seemed uninterested. He was ill prepared for the interview. Overall, this was the most rude person who has ever interviewed me, and I feel I may have been discriminated against.

Interview Question – What are you going to do with you life?   Answer Question

McDonough, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Books-A-Million in May 2012.

Interview Details – Went to Book a Million had 3 managers very casual end up being more of a conversation then an interview.

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview Details – The manager was the first person I met. After greetings, she began to ask me about the online test that you have to take pre-employment. The one that asks you dumb questions like: Have you ever taken office supplies home? As if we'll never get a job again if we've taken a pencil home... lol. Next, She said: It's all about Membership cards, auto-renewals, and Magazines. You're base salary will be around Min. Wage, but you have the opportunity to augment your paycheck by commissions from your Memberships, auto-renews, and Magazines. It sounded difficult, because I had never sold something that in my opinion, people didn't want already. Therefore, the title Bookseller, is a misnomer.

Interview Question – Do you believe you will be able to sell Membership Cards, Auto-Renewals, and Magazines   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation on price. Typically, you will get between 7.25 and 7.50 depending on your personality.

Kissimmee, FL

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Books-A-Million in July 2013.

Interview Details – Called almost a month after my application, had a brief ten minute phone interview in which the manager seemed very excited to have me come in and do another interview.

Interview Question – Unexpected was how aggressively they want you to sell their membership cards. They asked me to give an example of how I would sell the card with no prior knowledge. Then I was shown how they sell the cards and their pitch made me feel very uncomfortable   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told I would be 30-40 hours a week and get commision up to $15 an hour after intense training (which I never recieved)

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2013.

Interview Details – This interview was a total mess. I was not informed that it was to be a group interview. The store manager was in the back with her keyholder and her daughter (age 7.) They talked and joked about the little girl's employment and current employees while we (the interviewees) were filling out questionnaires. Both were exceptionally unprofessional. We were then encouraged to go find a product from the store and sell it to them, learn about another person in the group interview and sell that person to them, and pick general HR questions out of a hat to answer. Now, I appreciate the selling tactic as a tool to figure out if we should be in retail, but I dislike that selling the stupid discount card and magazine subscriptions are so deeply apart of this position that it seems to be the only skill they are hiring for. Knowledge or experience seemed a distant second. Also, all this for a minimum wage mall job. Ugh.

Interview Question – Go find something in the store to sell to me/talk to your competition and then explain to me why I should hire them.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got an offer for a second interview. I had accepted another position but would not have gone back. The location was too far away for making min wage and seemed like a lot of stress (for such a bad position.)

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the manager of the store. She was very friendly. The questions were very straightforward, regarding my availability, past experiences, etc. Unfortunately, I was asked to sell a rubberband to her. I get very anxious and stumbled over my words, but I made it creative and I think she appreciated that. She very heavily pushed the fact that we have to sell, sell, sell the cards. I wasn't really into that.

Interview Question – "Sell me this rubberband."   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel like the position was the right fit for me. I'm not a pushy salesperson by nature.

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Books-A-Million in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call about a week after. I was interviewed by someone who normally didn't do interviews. I was asked if I would be able to sell the rewards card to customers.They will ask about work experience. I was asked why I wanted to work there and what I liked to read. I was also asked when I would be available. I guess my schedule for school wouldn't work out with them. I was told they would call me back, but I received no call.

Interview Question – I wasn't really asked any difficult questions. Just what I liked to read, and If I would be able to sell the rewards card.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Books-A-Million

Worked for Books-A-Million? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Books-A-Million Bookseller interview questions and advice. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by Books-A-Million employees and interview candidates.