Books-A-Million

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview Details – I had to make a follow up call after submitting my application about a week later to get an interview. Very friendly manager interviewed me and was most impressed by my previous experience with answering phones which you may need to do on the job.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Gave them a copy of my school schedule and they worked around it without a problem.

Very Easy Interview

Tallahassee, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Books-A-Million in November 2013.

Interview Details – Met with manager and answered a few behavioral questions. Nice and Easy.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Biloxi, MS

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Books-A-Million in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and heard back the next Monday [when I was told they do their interviews]. He wanted me to come in that day for an interview. I said okay. I went in early and waited about 20 minutes. We went into a backroom and sat down. He asked me some basic questions: "Tell me about yourself.", "Tell me about your employment experience."
He asked about my availability and told me that it was just a basic cashier type position and that it was minimum wage.
He told me about the membership card and how my job would basically be riding on how many I could sell, which as any logical person would know is based around random chance.
Then he handed me his pen and told me to "sell it to him". Some other employees had made their way into the backroom and were shuffling through the fridge and interrupted at this point and said that I could literally make up anything. So I did. He went for it and I guess liked it. I was kind of stumbling on that one because I didn't see it coming at all.
Then he asked me if my email address was correct. He was going to go ahead and send me an email that would include a link to an electronic background check. Once I finished it I should give him a call back.
I went home and finished it and left a message with someone for him.

The whole interview itself was very short. There weren't any competency questions or "what would you do if" questions. They were just questions about my application. Very simple. Just be creative if you have to sell the interviewer their pen. My pitch involved rainbows. Just saying.

Interview Question – I want you to sell me this pen.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I never actually heard back from him, but it was only the other day that I was interviewed and since then I happen to have stumbled across one of those rare "perfect jobs" which is beating the crap out of what books a million could ever be.
I wasn't too attracted by the concept of selling membership cards to people that already know about them anyway, and for a dying bookstore at that with a mediocre average customer count at best.
He also seemed overly concerned about my availability changing next semester.
I saw problems, I guess.

Very Easy Interview

Savannah, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Books-A-Million in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interview went great, but when I got home I had an email saying I was not quailifed for the Cashiers job. Go figure!

Interview Question – Do you have any plans in the near future?   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

Interview Details – I had one interview with a manager, then another with a general manager, then went back again to do paperwork. Everyone was pleasant and helpful.

Interview Questions

Worked for Books-A-Million? Contribute to the Community!